Primeira Civilização

Primeira Civilização

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A ideia de uma primeira civilização da qual haveriam de nascer os grandes impérios mais antigos, como o dos Sumérios e dos Egípcios, sempre seduziu o homem moderno. Este livro representa um "gigantesco" passo em frente no desvendar deste mistério e as conclusões nele apontadas põem em causa tudo o que julgávamos saber acerca das origens do mundo "inteligente".
208 pages
Published 2006 by Temas e Debates (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Primeira Civilização, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primeira Civilização

Tom
This book was a very interesting read, and particularly the math in the first half was very convincing.

I think it was right that the author flirted with the "external teachers" theory without just declaring "aliens", but like many books on esoteric science without much in the way of peer review, it drifted around and got lost at the end.

They spend some time lamenting how mainstream science and archaeology won't ever agree with them because the system is flawed, but they just need to inspire popu...more
John
This is a very well researched book, Knight and Butler have made some interesting discoveries. There interpretations and conjectures, however, are pretty weak. I suppose they wanted to stay roughly within scientific consensus with this book; however, its not that any "scientist" is going to pay attention to it anyway, so it seems like a lost opportunity to create a stronger thesis than "the megalithic yard is real." I understand that their research is ongoing, its just a shame because the materi...more
Nelson
very interesting stuff. it's a book about the history of civilizations told from the standpoint that there's a single common measurement, such as a yardstick, that shows up in the engineering and building of widely separated totally isolated and divergent peoples. this yardstick, all these peoples had in common and indeed many of the systems of measurement we use today are derived from it, yet these civilizations lived thousands of miles from other with no way to communicate and no knowledge of...more
Jacob
The authors promote an idea that there was once a universal unit of measurement based on the circumference of the earth. It was used by ancient man prior to any known civilization. the unit used in the british isles they dub the Megalithic Yard. It is, through a complicated and maybe not correct way, connected to the Minoan Foot. It may or may not have been the precursor to the metric system.

The megalithic yard was discovered by measuring henges around the british isles and realizing they all we...more
John Lucy
Read this immediately. That's all.
Jonathan
The first half of the book is very interesting and presents some new ideas that I haven't seen presented anywhere else before. I am by no means an engineer, nor am I particularly good at math, but I was able to comprehend the maths that were presented, it was simple and easy to understand and as far as i can tell should all be easily verifiable by people trained in engineering, surveying, and also probably astronomy.

I know that isn't very helpful for the average reader but it is important becaus...more
James
You might find this book a revelatory experience.

It tracks a commonality of measurement, starting with the megalithic stone circles of the British Isles, to the "Minoan" culture of Crete, to Egypt, India. And, moreover, how that measurement translates into time, and our modern systems of weight and volume.

Fascinating stuff. Highly recommended.

There's a section about how Thomas Jefferson was "unknowingly" recreating the same ancient process - using pendulums - to try and standardize a "unit...more
Izabela Kolar Furjan
Nulta civilizacija
V. B. Z. 2005 953-201-480-2

Christopher Knight & Alan Butler

Ian
Numbers games, November 3, 2009

A most disappointing book. The authors theorize about possible relationships between various planetary and solar system dimensions and the 'megalithic yard' which appears to have been used to lay out various neolithic monuments. They offer no tangible evidence to support the thesis that this measure is evidence of a prehistoric super-civilization. While there is lots of relevant archaeological evidence, this book does not discuss that evidence nor provide more than...more
Tom Kenis
There is no way to easily explain the relationship between the modern meter, imperial units and the circumference of the planet earth, or how a supposedly primitive society knew and used knowledge of the shape and size of our world to establish a uniform measurement system, one seemingly shared by the Minoan culture, Sumer, the old Indus valley culture, and pre-modern Japan.
A true eye-opener albeit one written in a manner conducive to shuteye syndrome.
There must be a better way to write about...more
Gwen
Started out interesting, but went downhill fast when the authors kept exclaiming every other page how unbelievable everything they found was, and that while it could have been a coincidence it was obviously not the case. Also the point where the book went from scientific facts to ascribing it all to God was not really my favourite part.
Rubaphilos
excellent. if you're ever interested in where all our units of measure come from ... plus some curious information on their possible esoteric origins, this is a really good read.
Kelli Martin
Not as intriquing as 'Uriel's Machine' or 'The Hiriam Key', but enlightening if you find measures and their derivations intresting.
Seagoat
Some very interesting ideas. For those into alternate archaeology and ancient history.
Harrison
More fun with the Megalithic Yard. (I always liked the key of C#...)
Arun Prithviraj
I would say it is too technical
Tyler
Not even entertaining bunkum.
Timi Cabana
Ambitious but entertaining.
Wesley Durbin
Wesley Durbin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Cameron Ramsay
Cameron Ramsay marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Alex Givant
Alex Givant marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Fayez Alzoubi
Fayez Alzoubi marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Kay Roussel
Kay Roussel marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Guernsey Zoo
Guernsey Zoo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Christopher Knight, born in 1950, has worked in marketing, advertising, and public relations. He joined the Freemasons in 1976 and grew interested in studying their rituals and history, which led to Knight writing the bestselling The Hiram Key. He has continued his study of rituals through time.

More about Christopher Knight...
The Hiram Key Uriel's Machine The Second Messiah The Book of Hiram Who Built the Moon?