Start by marking “Rhymes 'Round the World” as Want to Read:
Rhymes 'Round the World

Rhymes 'Round the World

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Sweet and full of wonder, from catchy to quiet, children's poems captivate readers of all ages. Here, familiar nursery rhymes and folk songs join poetry selections from many traditions. Recall old favorites and discover new poems, from Poland to Mozambique, Japan to Mexico, and every corner in between. Cheerful illustrations capture the beauty of diversity the world over.
Published March 19th 2009 by Dutton Books for Young Readers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rhymes 'Round the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhymes 'Round the World

The Library Lady
I'd give it 3 1/2 if I could. I love Chorao, but this one is not as good as it could be. The illustrations are lovely, the concept is great, but a lot of the "rhymes" are blank verse or awkward translations. And things like "I'm a little latke" are about as "traditional" as 8 gifts for Chanukkah. In other words--NOT!
Amy
Rhymes Round the World is a book of poems collected from around the world. Some of the places the poems come from are: France, Iran, England, Australia, Japan, China, Korea, Poland, Italy, Africa, U.S.A., Spain, Mexico, Germany, Mozambique, Greece, India, and some from Native Americans. Some of the poems are real poems while some are what we consider Nursery Rhymes or songs. I think it is wonderful to see some of the Poems that we have heard and find out where they originated. There are 32 pages ...more
Margaret
Very neat rhyme book with great illustrations. This is another one to our pile from the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. I love reading some rhymes I already know, mostly from England. Then I also like learning new ones from all around the world especiallt Germany, Spain, Mexico and some anonymous. However there were quite a few that I was not fond and perhaps it was lost in translation.

Overall I am happy with this book and delighted to learn a new anonymous rhyme that I can now call favorite.
Tasha
Take a trip around the world through children’s poetry in this new book from Chorao. The short poems and rhymes are just the right length to read to very small children. Chorao’s signature illustrations are gentle, filled with smiles and bright colored. The children shown are all colors themselves, celebrating the world through both the words and pictures. Poems range from Mother Goose to Italy to Israel to Russia to Japan. Each poem is nicely identified by author and country.

Because of the gen
Sheree
Would like sources and translation information for this book.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Beautifully, charmingly illustrated! I especially like the picture of the child wearing the frog boots for the poem "Pitter-patter" (I want a pair of those boots!) and the cat dressed up in butterfly wings and antennae for the poem "Ghoulies and Ghosties". Many of the poems are new to me, but it does include a favorite of mine, "Tickle Tickle" by Dakari Hru. Near the end, on page 39, is a an illustration of how to say "Good night" in languages from around the world-- a clever touch. Highly recom ...more
Angela
Absolutely love this book. It is a very cute book that covers different rhymes from around the world. I would love to include this book in the library in my classroom. I would teach differences the differences they notice between the US and other countries.

I love the rhyming within the pages. Each page or two covers a rhyme from a different culture. I would recommend this book to younger children probably from pre K to 1st.
Hollee Young
I love how this book has poetry from around the world. I think it is a good book to expose different cultures and traditions to children.
Chris
This collection of songs and poems feels very incomplete. Hardly any of the poems are more than a selected stanza, and the songs are pointless if you don't know the music. I enjoyed two pieces that were new to me, but I wouldn't bother owning this or getting it from the library.
Catherine Woodman
Very fun illustrations for the pre-kindergarten crowd, with familiar poems from a variety of cultural backgrounds. There is very little that is religious, but there are two Hanukkah poems, two Xmas poems, and nothing else. seems lopsided.
Heather
I really really like the illustrations in Kay's books, they are so full of color and detail and are a treat for the eyes. They have an old-fashioned feel to them; like you're looking at a book from your grandparent's childhood.
Ashley Allen
This is a great book to get ideas for different poems to use in the classroom. You can use these poems in the hallway when waiting for students to line up from the bathroom. It will keep the students minds occupied.
Tuyet Tran
This contains different poems from around the world. Different country has different styles of expressing the poems and the illustration shows somewhat about each country.

Poetry, culture, country
Tara
Love the concept behind this book. Love that you can connect with different rhymes used in different countries. Illustrations are cute (daughter likes the goose on almost every page).
Larisa
Larisa added it
Jul 30, 2015
Hayle
Hayle added it
Jun 29, 2015
Carmella
Carmella marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
May 20, 2015
Sarah added it
May 12, 2015
Amealer
Amealer marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Lydia Davis
Lydia Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Kelly
Kelly added it
Feb 16, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
BGCC
BGCC marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Stephanie Sofka
Stephanie Sofka marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Jamie Wagner
Jamie Wagner marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chorao was born as Ann McKay Sproat in Elkhart, Indiana, United States, into a middle-class, suburban family. She loved and was encouraged to draw at a young age. She attended Laurel School in Shaker Heights, OH. Chorao went to Wheaton College, where in 1958 she earned a Bachelor of Arts in art history. After that, Chorao pursued her graduate study at Chelsea School of Art from 1958 to 1959.

Chorao