Start by marking “Morte Em Viena (Gabriel Allon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Morte Em Viena (Gabriel Allon, #4)

Morte Em Viena (Gabriel Allon #4)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  11,628 ratings  ·  513 reviews
Restaurador de arte e espião ocasional, Gabriel Allon é enviado a Viena para descobrir a verdade por detrás do atentado bombista que vitimou um velho amigo. Ao fazê-lo, descobre algo que vira todo o seu mundo do avesso: um rosto, um rosto que parece assustadoramente familiar, um rosto que o gela até aos ossos e que o faz querer saber mais.

Porém, cada descoberta que faz ape
Paperback, Large Print, 414 pages
Published June 2010 by Bertrand Editora (first published November 12th 2003)

Multi-lingual Israeli spy/art restorer Gabriel Allon is restoring a painting in Venice when a bomb destroys the 'Wartime Claims and Inquiries Office' in Vienna, Austria. Gabriel's friend Eli Lavon is badly wounded and Eli's staff is killed. When Gabriel travels to Vienna to investigate he meets an elderly Holocaust survivor who claims that a prominent, wealthy, local businessman - Ludwig Vogel - is really a Nazi war criminal named Erich Radek.

Before long the elderly Holocaust survivor
Susan Kelley
Set across Europe and in Israel, A Death in Vienna is a spy tale intent on righting some of the wrongs of The Holocaust. Part-time spy Gabriel Allon is sent to Vienna by The Office (think CIA, but deadlier) to investigate a bombing at the Wartime Claims and Inquiries office. Following clues to the identity of a Nazi officer, Gabriel travels the globe with an assassin hot on his tail.

While this book was very interesting, and I learned more about the atrocities of the Nazis, I can't say it was ri
The final work in Daniel Silva's Nazi troika of the Gabriel Allon canon (along with my favorite "The English Assassin" and "The Confessor") is another steady read. What I appreciated about this one is that there isn't as much over-the-top violence or romance, rather a gradual build up to the conclusion (which I still can't decide if I liked or not but I liked the book enough to forgive). Silva writes intelligent thrillers and yet they are very well-paced and readable. I've got the next book in t ...more
This is 4th novel featuring the protagonist Gabriel Allon, a semi-retired Mossad agent whose day job is now as one of the world's foremost art restorers. The story starts in Venice and includes stops in Argentina, Israel and Munich but as the title suggests it mostly revolves around characters and events in Vienna. The plot concerns a former SS member who has changed his identity and now seeks to bring his hard right-wing brand of politics to Austria. It deals with Austria's lingering anti-Semit ...more
This was a good (literary) surprise and a tough reminder that sometimes fiction is a classroom for reality.
Very well-researched and appealing, it got me hooked from almost the begging. Although it got me on my nerves a couple of times by objectifying female tertiary female characters, I'll never forget the intense story of Gabriel's mother on that death march from the nazi concentration camp and how she represents lots of strong women and people who had to endure the horrors of Holocaust.

I'm de
Joyce Lagow
4th in the Gabriel Allon series.[return][return]Gabriel Allon is an Israeli Secret Service agent who poses as Mario Delvecchio, a very well-known and highly respected art restorer. At the moment, he is working in Venice, and living with his lover Chiara. But Gabriel s life is not his own; he owes his allegiance to Israel and to Ari Shamron, the Old Man of the Israeli Secret Service. Whenever Shamron appears, Gabriel embarks on a mission of death to track down and kill those responsible for blowi ...more
Though Israeli agent Gabriel Allon's unraveling of the mystery behind the bombing of an aged Nazi-hunter's office keeps the reader turning pages, its real value lies in the haunting story that is told about Gabriel's mother. This novel is most compelling--and painful to read--when author Daniel Silva uses it to shed more light on Nazi crimes during the Holocaust. I hadn't known, for example, that Austria had been particularly fertile ground for Nazi recruitment (though it shouldn't be surprising ...more
The previous two Allon novels and this one sort of form a trilogy with a focus on the Holocaust. The complicity of the Swiss and the Church are the focus of the first two. This one focuses on the broader complicity of many other countries evident in the post-war world. What makes this particular novel stand out is the detailed point of view of Holocaust survivors. This is integral to the plot; it provides the motivations for many of the characters and it causes the reader to feel the need for ju ...more
Anne Germana
An ugly time in history

The second world war and especially the sorrowful Holocaust history is something we must never forget. Any attempt to eradicate an entire race must be met with strong g resistance. This book was impossible to put down.
This is a story of a Nazi war criminal hunt. It is another viewpoint of the horrors inflicted upon the jews during the Nazi regime.
Interesting to me in this story is the suggestion of the Vatican's involvement in helping Austrian and German war criminals escape capture and aiding them in disappearing into another identity mainly in South America, Argentina heading the list at the time of Peron's administration.
I understand this book is one of a series about Gabriel, the main Israeli hunter in t
Alan Cook
All Daniel Silva's books are packed with action, but this one is especially important because it includes a lot of history about what the Nazis did to the Jews during World War II.
Patricia Rodrigues
Neste livro, Gabriel é enviado para Viena para investigar um atentado à organização de Eli Lavon, um velho amigo, que vitimou duas funcionárias e deixou o amigo em estado crítico.
No seguimento das pistas, Gabriel é assombrado por um rosto familiar, mas desagradável nesta sua busca, descobre acontecimentos relatados pela sua própria mãe, durante o Holocausto.

É um livro mais cruel, com passagens bastante reais do Holocausto, tais como, relatos sobre o que acontecia nos campos de concentração, um p
Mukundan Srinivasan
A complete, pacy and riveting spy thriller. Gabriel Allon is sent to investigate a murder attempt on his friend (much like "The Confessor"). First few pages were smoggy kind but picked up pace once it started to travel in the path of exposing a mass murderer of Jews during the Nazi regime who is living under false identity. After nail biting twists, turns and travel, the climax was also appropriate. Cannot put this book down. I'm sad that I finished reading this book. Eager to read more of Danie ...more
Makayla Dorsey
A Death in Vienna by Daniel Silva shows the crossing paths of Austrian, Israeli, and American intelligence services through the eyes of Gabriel Allon. The book opens with a bombing at the Austrian Wartime Claims and Inquiries, an Austrian Holocaust research center. Gabriel Allon, a former assassin, is recruited to investigate the bombing, unknowingly diving head first into what would become an incredibly personal and intricate case. The case brings the significant past into the future through ac ...more
I listened to this book on a long road trip. This tale of espionage was very fast moving, as well as being just long enough to engage me, the listener without exhausting me. The reader was good and it truly held my interest while keeping my eyes alert and on the road. While it was not rocket science, it did provide a history of parts of the Holocaust, never actually getting into the weeds, just imparting the information necessary for the story to take shape.
It basically begins with an explosion
Love Silva and Gabriel Allon. This is book 4 in the series but you don't need to read them in order. Complex plots, complex characters, plenty of intrigue. Good guys who sometimes/often wonder if the end really does justify the means. Evil guys willing to take any approach to get what they want without any remorse or regret. Despite death, evil, tragedy, and sorrow, the good guys always prevail. Silva writes a great journey for them and their foes.

Time to choose another Allon tale.
#4 in the Gabriel Allon series--audio book. Gabriel is sent to Vienna to discover the truth behind a bombing which killed an old friend, but while there he encounters something that turns his world upside down. It is a face - a face that feels hauntingly familiar, yet chills him to the bone and sends him on an urgent hunt for a name, a history, a connection.

Gabriel Allon is working as an art restoration expert in Venice. His old boss from the Israeli Intelligence Service, Ari Shamron, appears o
Bruce Mohler
While this is the 4th book in the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva, is the third book in a series "dealing with the unfinished business of the Holocaust. Nazi art looting and the collaboration of Swiss banks..." in The English Assassin, "...The role of the Catholic Church in the Holocaust and the silence of Pope Pius XII..." in The Confessor, and the role of Austrian Nazis in the death camps in this book, A Death In Vienna. Excellent.

A handful of typos were noticed in the Kindle edition of t
I wouldn't have picked up this author, except my mom left one (The Secret Servant - which I loved) at my house. This is my 2nd book with Gabriel Allon, Israeli spy, as the main character. The theme of this (it's part of a series, I've learned) has to do with WWII/Holocaust, specifically the surfacing of a Nazi war criminal in Austria. The writing is very good and the storyline kept me intrigued the whole time.
The 4th book in the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. This series is getting better and better as the characters develop and more sub plots are related. This spy series is different to my normal Mystery Thriller genre but rarely fails to deliver. The stories are full of action and intrigue and delivered at a break neck pace and I don't think it will be that long before I start his next instalment.
My 5th book by Daniel Silva and my 4th of the Gabriel Allon series. All his books have been extremely well researched and with a hint of truth in the story lines. This book is the third and final story based around the holocaust during WWII and the attempts by either the clergy or high ranking establishments to protect the Nazi perpetrators. The first half of this book was a bit slow and over descriptive of persons, surroundings, scenery, etc. When it finally got going it was superb and engrossi ...more
Sometimes fiction does a better job of getting at the truth of a situation than non-fiction. This is true in particular when dealing with meaning and implication where there's little disagreement about the facts, but what to make of those facts is unsettled.

When considering the Holocaust, the issue is not one of fact, except to those who wish to ignore proven facts for political purposes. Rather the issue is how do we get people to understand the unimaginable. In three novels that deal with to u
while i am still a big fan of Silva's Gabriel Allon series, i found this installment the toughest of the 4 so far to read. the storyline pits Allon against a former SS officer with horrifying past ties to Allon's own family. the author states in the afterword that this book wrapped up a trilogy covering the impact of the Holocaust and the complicity of the Catholic church, so i hope that the next books in Allon's future will focus more on the thrill and mystery and less on painful history. the s ...more
Outstanding. A remarkable adventure that brings to life the horrible pain and suffering of the Holocaust victims and their families. The last in Silva's trilogy related to the Holocaust a necessary journey.
great history lesson on the holocaust. Easy read, I started this a while back and don't know why I never finished it, so I completed it this year. Some parts were a bit depressing and graphic.
Susan Espourteille
This fourth book in the Gabriel Allon series is very powerful. The revelations about the Holocaust, the dirty secrets of many countries, and the fast pace of the action are all quite compelling. The notes at the end winnow the facts from the fiction; I was appalled to learn the extent to which the situations involving U.S. intelligence were true.

I don't like reviews with plot summations or spoilers, so I will offer you neither. Instead, I will say that Daniel Silva is doing his part to make sure
Gabriel Allon is back and fighting Nazis in Austria, who are alive and well and active (albeit very old). Still, an OK entry in the series. Silva seems to be painting countries' personalities -- mostly Austria, in this case -- with a pretty broad brush, but I don't really know enough about European politics to know what is more or less accurate or evocative and which is dramatic license.
One odd thing I notice about these books, considering they were written in the early 2000s, at least this one
Rob Billingsley
Recently, a friend suggested I check out Daniel Silva’s series around a reluctant Jewish spy operative, Gabriel Allon, sporadically recruited by Israeli intelligence. By day, Allon is a highly talented conservator of historic fine art. But he owes something to his spy agency controller, Ari Shamron, who occasionally calls him away from this genteel existence to execute dangerous missions like an Israeli James Bond.

Usually, I don’t think it a good idea to jump into the middle of a 15 book serie
Greg Destro
Another excellent work by Daniel Silva. Mr. Silva was able to keep my interest thoughout, with exciting and intriguing passages. He also maintains that Gabriel Allon is flawed and extremely human, yet through his struggles and determination, is still able to attain the desired result. It is just this fact that Gabriel Aalon is not some Superstar invincible pseudo-machine that I enjoy the most, and which lends an air of believability, as I often see this type of drive and determination in those w ...more
Renee Bishop
Daniel Silva is a superb author! I am a total fan of his work. I find it grips me from the very start and I cannot put the books down. This book of his does not disappoint. I read it in 3 days. Was carrying it around the house with me. It is the third of his holocaust related books, the others being The English Assassin and The Confessor. Gabriel Allon is sent to Vienna to discover the truth behind a bombing that gravely injured an old friend. He discovers an individual whose activities have had ...more
Around the World ...: Discussion for A Death in Vienna 10 59 Dec 15, 2012 07:23PM
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
  • The Nearest Exit (The Tourist, #2)
  • The Hunted
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp #3)
  • Hawke (Alexander Hawke, #1)
  • The Pope's Assassin
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2)
Daniel Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public policy programming. In 1994 he began work on his first novel, The Unlikely Spy, a surprise best seller that w ...more
More about Daniel Silva...

Gabriel Allon (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • The Confessor (Gabriel Allon, #3)
  • Prince Of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)
  • Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • Portrait of a Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)

“The Germans are fond of saying that only Austria could convince the world that Beethoven was an Austrian and Hitler was a German.” 2 likes
“Aktion 1005,” 0 likes