Start by marking “Komodo!” as Want to Read:
Komodo!

Komodo!

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"Mad about dragons, the boy who narrates this picture book is pleased when his doting parents decide to take him to Indonesia, home of the Komodo dragon....[The boy] takes the road less traveled through the jungle, where he encounters the dragon of his dreams....Full of intriguing detail....picture book, original in concept and beautiful in design."--Booklist.
Published May 27th 1993 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Komodo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Komodo!

Dolly
Feb 02, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a story about a family who travels to Indonesia because their little boy loves Komodo dragons. The visit isn't quite what he expected, but it wasn't completely a disappointment. The illustrations are very good, comparable to other books by Peter Sis. But the story wasn't overly engaging. It teaches a little about where Komodo dragons live and the tourism industry that centers around these ancient, fearsome creatures. We enjoyed reading the additional information about the dragons in the ...more
J-Lynn
This is a simple story about a girl who loves dragons so her parents take her to Indonesia to see the komodo dragons.

There is little text, but the pen, ink, and watercolor illustrations are large and complicated with lots of little extras and hiding dragon's for the observant reader. There is also a lot of factual information about the komodo dragons worked into the illustrations as well as a factual paragraph at the end of the book.

This could be a fun book to use to discuss that most myths and
Rosemary
Heidi
I think this book is mostly about the illustrations. Dragons and lizards galore scattered throughout. It felt like a Hidden Treasures search from a Highlights magazine. I was rather intrigued by the school photo--particularly the woman who looked like she was wearing a bathrobe. A very informative book considering it's a picture book with a very basic plot. If the dragony lizards really did look that cute, I wouldn't mind seeing one.
Lana Hoffman
The boy int he story goes with his parents to Komodo to see real dragons.

There really are Komodo dragons in this part of the world, but what makes this a fantasy is that the boy comes face to face with one after he walks away from his family. In real life this could never happen, if it did the boy would most likely not survive such an encounter. In the story his fantasy of coming face to face with this dragon comes true and he is able to go back to his normal life. This book would be appropriat
Betsy
I'll admit, the cover on this book did not inspire.

But, I picked it up anyway.

Marvelous! A terrific example of text and illustrations working together. The text is quite simple and spare; the illustrations are frequently FULL of details to notice. And the contrast between the two is very fun. For instance, in one early page, the boy narrator says, "It is always easy to find me in school pictures because of my dragon T-shirt." But the photo is of hundreds of children massed together--a "where's
Miri
Interesting not so much for the story as the fact that komodo dragons are just really interesting creatures. The only ones left over from the carnivorous dinosaurs, and only found natively in Indonesia. And of course I always like Peter Sís.
Robynn
Adventure and imagination sparked an interest in this amazing animal. I like that we never know if the character is a girl or boy.
Logan
This was a good story, although L didn't ask for a re-read. A boy goes to Indonesia to see a real komodo dragon. Logan was fascinated that there is a real place that they live and that it takes so long to get to. That's one of tthe problems with zoos; they take the animals so far out of context that it's hard to imagine where they actually live. The illustrations were lovely, showing bunches of "hidden" komodo dragons in the leaves and shadows. I'm not sure why this didn't merit a second reading ...more
Lindsey
A boy, who loves dragons, gets to go on a trip to Indonesia with his parents to see a real Komodo Dragon. At first the boy is disappointed. There are crowds waiting to see a "dragon show". He wanders off into the jungle alone. It is on his lonely trek away from the "dragon show" and crowd that he has the experience that he's always imagined having.

Fantastic illustrations like always, easy vocabulary and short text on each page make this a good ELL read aloud and discussion starter on travel, ou
Emmet Miles
Kid loves dragons. Parents take him to Komodo Island in Indonesia.
Maggie
and it's off to the zoo with this book to look at our local komodo dragon with this beautifully illustrated book in hand. it's so much fun being a grandparent, my second childhood, with grandchildren to share time and experiences with, esp. reading books together.
Melody
There is alway so much going on in a drawing by Peter Sis. The detail is rich, but more than that, there's a slight grin askance underlying many of them, something wry and warm. I enjoyed this as a reading-aloud book more than as a reading-by-myself book.
I liked the illustrations and the prose. The story-line was missing closure. The boy was alone on Komodo island...having heard a large roar and then the next page he is safely on the boat traveling home with his mom and dad. What happened!?
Nicole
LOVE Sis' illustrations! What a rich inner world of the the boy's love of dragons he captured and transferred to the outer world. Interesting to think about expectations and travel.
Polly
A boy who loves dragons goes on the ultimate dragon-lovers holiday: to the island of Komodo! Lovely pictures as always from Peter Sis, and a good story.
Alissa D
Your subject matter is awesome: giant lizards with poisonous bacteria breath that eat people. How the hell is this book so boring? Boo.
Whitney
The pictures are in Peter Sis' normal style which is nice but busy. The story itself leaves a quite a bit to be desired.
Kip
Thrilling and mysterious; a good story, well-told, and seriously gorgeous art with lots of small detail.
Evelyn Saenz
The komodo dragon seems to be hiding in the leaves. Children love to look for him.
Erin
Such a wonderful book about the Komodo dragon in Indonesia. Pictures are fun.
Ashley Fricker
not a very accurate depiction of komodo dragons but a great eco intro
jenna nims
i thought this book needed more to it - the ending was too abrupt
Katie
Sis' illustrations are lovely
Meredith
Very interesting.
La Moreland
La Moreland marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Gabrielle Blockton
Gabrielle Blockton marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
  • Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter
  • Let's Go Home, Little Bear
  • Have You Seen My Cat?
  • I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures
PETER SÍS is an internationally acclaimed illustrator, filmmaker, painter and author. Born in 1949 in Brno, Czechoslovakia, and grew up in Prague. He studied painting and filmmaking at the Academy of Applied Arts in Prague and the Royal College of Art in London. His animated work is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art. He came to America in 1982, and now lives in New York’s Hud ...more
More about Peter Sís...
The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain The Conference of the Birds Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei Madlenka Tibet: Through the Red Box