Start by marking “The Lone Texan (Whispering Mountain, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Lone Texan (Whispering Mountain, #4)

The Lone Texan (Whispering Mountain #4)

Three days after arriving in Galveston, newly widowed Sage McMurray finds herself taken hostage in a robbery. She fears she may never see Whispering Mountain again when the outlaws decide to auction their pretty captive off to the highest bidder, until a tall stranger offers twice the highest bid.
Published October 6th 2009 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Lone Texan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lone Texan

Lindsey
I'd like to make a sarcastic suggestion for a new title for this book ... She's Just Not That Into You!

This was my least favorite book by Jodi Thomas so far, which is really disappointing because up until now I have really enjoyed all her books. I just couldn't connect with the two main characters Sage and Drummond. They both seemed really immature (weird considering their professions as a doctor and a Texas Ranger.) I also never really felt that they suited as a couple (despite the insane amoun
Pickles
Sep 30, 2015 Pickles rated it liked it
Ririn
Aug 26, 2014 Ririn rated it liked it
Shelves: jodi-thomas, gr-my-14
Loved Drum.... Sage...hmmm...not too much...hahaha...

Loved the ending.

From all the books in the series that I have read so far (which is 6), this one was my least favorite. I liked Sage well enough before this, but in her own story, I was annoyed with her undecisiveness about her feelings for Drum. She knew that she was attracted to him, and he has proven again and again how important she was to him, so why can't she accept him? The reason? Because he was younger than her, that at first she stil
Dec 29, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I really, really liked Roak in Tall, Dark, and Texan. He's everything I love in a hero, including his rising gunslinger career. Sage was already annoying, but I was prepared to love this just for Roak. But, my problems with this book were numerous and not all with Sage. Roak went from this mysterious character to a stalker ala Edward Cullen -- watching Sage while she sleeps after breaking into her hotel room and reading letters from her in Teagan's desk. Creepy. Not romantic. Creepy. Age had not ...more
Dawn ♥ romance
Sep 26, 2016 Dawn ♥ romance rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this historical romance with fast paced exciting action. I really liked the hero, a younger man who always knew heroine was the woman for him and pursued her even though she was a bit over-resistant. Doctor Sage is kidnapped and Drum, who she's know since she was young, comes to rescue her.
SheLove2Read
Oct 09, 2009 SheLove2Read rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Whispering Mtn series
Heidi
Jan 18, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok
This was just kind of ok for me, I wanted more from Sage and Drum's "romance". I expected more then I got it what I am trying to say. It seemed there were too many other sub-plots going on to focus on just them. That being said, I like my romance to be focused on the main characters.

I also felt that Sage's change of heart when she all of a sudden loved drum, just came out of left field. she was quite annoying and very immature. Howevere I think that stemmed from being the little sister of 3 over
Karen
Nov 19, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series.

Drummond Roak really has his work cut out in loving the fiercely independent, intelligent and skittish widow Dr Sage McMurray. How many times dose Drum have to marry Sage before she'll see him as a man & accepted she's hitched.

It's a beautiful love story and shows that loving a woman, a man will totally reinvent himself to be worthy and go to hell & back to keep her safe.

This may be my favourite so far.
Kathryn
Dec 15, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Final book in Whispering Mountain series. Enjoyed the rugged western feel. Always liked Drum and Sage - but took awhile for Sage to see sense!
Barbara
Mar 19, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it
It was slow through the first half of the book, but then caught my interest for a good finish.
Mrsbooks
Sep 30, 2016 Mrsbooks rated it liked it
I've had a little crush on Roak since book 2 and only kept reading because of him. This was a bit of a let down. Not because of Roak but because of the Heroine Sage. She seemed to not understand what a good thing she had and didn't want it. Then suddenly does a weird 180. It didn't fly with me. And I felt like Roak deserved better than her.
Shirlene
Drummond Roak found out that Sage had finished medical school and was returning home. He went to Galveston to meet her ship and bring her home to Whispering Mountain. Roak met Sage and her nurse friend, Bonnie Faye Pierce, who had traveled to Texas with her. Drummond took them to the local hotel. Bonnie was quiet, very tall and skinny. Her parents had raised her to be afraid of everything, even going outside. Her and Sage grew close at the medical school they both attended. Bonnie's parents had ...more
Betty
Dec 13, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Betty by: Sent to me for Review

The Lone Texan
By Jodi Thomas
Berkley
October 2009

A Whispering Mountain Novel

Sage McMurray has been gone from Whispering Mountain for three years, six months, and a few days, and Drummond Roak has spent this time growing up and becoming the kind of man that will make Sage proud. She has finished her medical training back east, and will embark in Galveston in about a week. He wants to be the first to welcome her home.

When Sage and her friend Bonnie dock in G
Readitnweep
Bukcrz
Feb 26, 2014 Bukcrz rated it it was ok
First the good thing about this book.
The Hero: He is what you expect from a Texan historical. Physically fit (I mean good looking), the best at what he does (in this case assassination or plain killing), and the best part of him is that he is a one-woman-man. He held a torch for the heroine since he first saw her and still is mooning over her even after all this years. As a character he is alive and relate-able so he is a character I do not mind reading over and over again especially with how m
Chris
Oct 25, 2015 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ill, jodi-thomas-read
Virginia Campbell
Aug 15, 2014 Virginia Campbell rated it it was amazing
Drummond Roak, the title character in author Jodi Thomas' "The Lone Texan", is a man determined to win the heart of the contrary, fiery, and beautiful woman whom he has loved since he was fifteen years old. That woman is Sage McMurray, slightly older than Drum, and newly returned to Texas from a five-year stay in Boston, MA. During that time, Sage fulfilled her dream of becoming a doctor. She also married and soon became the widow of her much-older mentor. Accompanying Sage as her nurse and assi ...more
Sari
Dec 02, 2012 Sari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bujug setelah baca selesai baru nyadar klo ini buku ke-4 dari series ini. Pantesan aja selama baca gw rada bgg, kok Teagan ud punya anak byk. Hadeuh..... Elex kebiasaan nih, nerbitin buku ngacak. Untung nih buku rame n lebih seru alurnya dibanding buku pertama yg ud diterbitin Elex. Klo engga nasibnya akan seperti buku pertama yg blm selesai juga gw baca ampe sekarang. Satu lagi yg kurang dari buku ini, endingnya kurang greget, biz kok perampok yg kesannya kejam n sangar, mati begitu aja, trus k ...more
Kym McNabney
May 23, 2012 Kym McNabney rated it it was amazing
I've always loved Jodi Thomas novels, and have been impatiently awaiting for this one. I loved the fire between Drum and Sage and couldn't wait to hear their story. Plus I loved all the McMurry men so I'd hoped to get a taste of them involved in Sage's life as well.

I'll still give the book five stars because I love Jodi's writing, and it was a good story, though I had expected something a bit different. I would have liked to have seen them together more with all the tension they shared in the pe
Lafanda
Nov 30, 2014 Lafanda rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite members of the Whispering Mountain series! This book follows Sage and Drummond and their rocky relationship, along with trying to overthrow a powerful band of outlaws. This book has a lot of adventure that is really enjoyable, but honestly the hard part is warming up to the romance between Drum and Sage. The two are constantly bickering and arguing throughout almost the entire book, which can be annoying, but what keeps you reading is how likable the characters are.

Also I am n
Belle Augusta
Feb 29, 2016 Belle Augusta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lone Texan is something nice, with a good flow. And even I read it on early Jan (now is early March *note to future myself) I still have some 'pics' from that book.

What I remember:
There's a childhood friend between two family. Heroine is came back to her home after divorced and there was Hero who like her since a long time ago, even she's gone and married.
The conflict began when Heroine get kidnap and going to be sold. But *jengjeng* comes Hero to rescue her.

..... and after that I forgot.

The
Tracy Farmer
Jul 14, 2014 Tracy Farmer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This book is about Sage who was rasied by her 3 brothers. She met Drummond years ago and still sees him as a boy. Drummond has been in love with Sage since he first met her even though he's a few years younger than her. He's only problem is getting her to belive that he's the man for her.
Drummond goes off to become a Texas Ranger and Sage goes off to become a doctor, and widow. She gets kidnapped and Drummond comes to her rescuse. This story is about a man finally learning wha
Maggie
Sep 08, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, library
I think I've liked this one best in the series. These books are a little hard for me to read because there is violence in them but that would be almost impossible to remove because of the setting and timeframe. Sage is one of my favorite characters so I was excited to read her story. I have also liked Drummond's character since he was a boy tied up in the barn for being a horse thief. I liked getting to know him better in this book as well.
Yetunde
Oct 07, 2013 Yetunde rated it liked it
I fell in love with Drummond Roak in previous Tall Dark and Handsome stories; however this book was a disappointment. Sage was a pure brat and tiresome to read. After awhile I felt that Roak just needed to give up the fantasy of her and meet a woman more in his league. The story between Bonnie and Bradford was this book's only redemption. Once I got to the end I started skimming through the Roak/Sage mess and only reading about Bonnie and Bradford. I hope the rest TDH novels are better.
Marcia
Apr 05, 2010 Marcia rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, x2010
April selection for B&N Romance Readers group.

The tall, dark hero pictured on the cover coupled with the "She's always been his destiny" snippet led me to think this would be just another toss-away romance. To my surprise, there was a good deal of story to read about a hero and heroine with background and character depth. A good secondary character story added to the enjoyment of this book.
Paula
May 09, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had seen a lot of negative reviews on this book but I liked it. I wanted to slap Sage at times, and wanted Rourk to stop trying so hard. Overall, it was a good story. I didn't quite understand the British element. It wasn't needed, but it didn't hurt the story either. Bonnie and Brad - oh wow, I really enjoyed this side story.
Amanda Sheila
Not exactly my favorite but I did enjoyed it. I'm in love with Bonnie's story. Definitely one of my favorite that one, too bad it isn't in separate book. Because to be honest I don't really like Sage and her attitude.

But so far so good. I'm not looking forward to read its sequel or prequel though.
Cherise
Aug 10, 2012 Cherise rated it it was ok
This was the story I have been most looking forward to as I've always loved Drum and Sage. Unfortunately it didn't deliver. Sage is just mean to Drum and he jumps through hoops and saves her life, repeatedly, trying to prove himself to her. It didn't make sense. This story and their romance should have been so much more!
Courtney
Oct 05, 2009 Courtney rated it it was amazing
What a great way to end the series!!! I have loved Drum and Sage from the very beginning and hoped that they would get their own book someday. I made sure to read this one really slowly because I don't want the series to be over yet. These characters feel like family members to me. Thank you Jodi for this wonderful series!!!
Beth
Aug 02, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the Whispering Mountain novels, fire is still burning in me from such a wonderful read!! The romance and funny moments written into these books are remarkable and I've found myself never wanting them to end. This is the book I'll be reading over and over, and the series I'll keep close time and time again.
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • Someone Like You (Night Riders, #4)
  • The Bridegroom (Stone Creek, #5)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: Historicals #3)
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • Comanche Magic (Comanche, #4)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • The Most Unsuitable Wife (Kincaids, #1)
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...

Whispering Mountain (7 books)
  • Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)
  • Texas Princess (Whispering Mountain, #2)
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • Texas Blue (Whispering Mountain, #5)
  • Wild Texas Rose (Whispering Mountain, #6)
  • Promise Me Texas (Whispering Mountain, #7)