Start by marking “Marked (Shifters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marked (Shifters, #1)

Marked (Northern Shifters #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  1,283 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Marked as prey, Alec refuses to fall for a werewolf. Until he's forced to turn to Liam for protection.

Alec Ryerson carries a scar over his heart and scars on his psyche, ugly reminders of a nightmare that still doesn't seem quite real. Even a year later, he stays inside on full-moon nights and avoids most people-until he meets the strange and beautiful Liam.

Liam feels an
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Marked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marked

DaisyGirl
1.5 Stars

So I'm in the minority once again. I didn't care for this one. I couldn't relate to either Liam or Alec. The writing seemed choppy and stilted or perhaps that was more a function of the nature of their relationship. They were odd ducks wolv...normals...whatever. They were odd balls. *snorts* I didn't dig 'em. Fair enough?

I gave 1-star for Ira and Claire because they were cute and cuddly and made the story bearable. *snickers*

Bottom line: I never warmed up to either MC and the back story
Elspeth
Maybe it was the weather, but I found this book to be depressing, and just not my cup of tea. My friend told me the later books are better, and if I get them for free I might give them a try.
Susan65
I loved this. My first thought when i think of how to describe this story is to compare it to the Planet of the Apes. I know it sounds strange but seriously, instead of apes having humans as pets, its werewolves. This is a different kind of shifter book but absolutely one of the better ones I've read. It grabs from the prologue and keeps its hooks in you throughout the entire story. My only complaint was that it ended.

Liam is a great alpha werewolf who looks after his little brother Ira. Ira bef
Heather C
I really enjoyed this story. I think I would have enjoyed it more if there would have been more sexual tension instead of sex so early, but then the plot line wouldn't have worked. This was paranormal romance but it didn't involve a whole bunch of world building and was easy to understand. I liked both Alex and Liam, and even the two little kids Ira and Claire. Not really funny or angsty, just a little suspense maybe. I definitely want to read the rest of the series.
Elisa Rolle
This is I think the most unusual werewolf story I have ever read. Alec is a young gay man. We don't have much physical description about him, but I can imagine him like a nice guy, handsome but not stunning. And he has had a very bad experience one year before with a quad of rogue werewolfes which has left him with scars on the body and in the mind. He fears anything and anyone. So when Liam, the older brother of a child he has known in the library where he works, begins to approach him, Alec re ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Alec and Liam are mates. Alec is a human who's been dragged into the werewolf world. His introduction hasn't been so good. Fortunately, Liam isn't like the Quad, even if he was part of it a while ago. This story was basically one family dysfunction after another. I didn't know families could be quite this f-ed up. Apparently it can be.

The first few chapters of this book left me completely confused. I thought this was book one of the series. I wasn't sure what was going on because it felt as if t
Sergey
This was….a departure of sorts; not my usual type of read, all that fantasy, sci-fi, werewolves, etc. It was certainly erotic, I will give it that (it was embarrassing reading it in public the sex scenes and fidgeting to hide a raging hardon, but no complaints on the eroticism from both heads). Otherwise, not very well plotted or fitted with complex, likeable characters; confusing dialogue and point of view did not add to the experience. Perhaps that is the given to any romance novels; I wouldn’ ...more
Ami
Combination of writing style, story, and characters make me feel drawn to the book so much. The two main characters, Liam (a young Alpha werewolf male), and Alec (a young man), have this connection that pulls me into their world. The sex sometimes seems rough, especially since Liam is an Alpha so he wants Alec to submit, but there is also tenderness there. The obstacles that they have to go through, the ordeal of Alec being marked by a very bad werewolves and kept as pet, the sweet, SWEET, inter ...more
Jess
4.5 Stars

Really impressed with this story. It was a refreshingly different take on Werewolves and the plot was well paced. The author was able to show the passage of time without boring me getting off topic, there was also a nice build up of tension followed by plenty of action.

I loved the kids and even the baddie was pretty cool is a psychopathic way. The sex was supernova hot but at times realistically awkward at times.

I can recommend it to all and I look forward to the next
Wyndslash
What I wanted to know and was not addressed in this book was the reason the MC was given over to the quad in the first place... o_O
MLE
One of my new favorite shifter novels. I like the balance in the relationship.
Richard
I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. It's a light read: I finished it in a single evening. But it's entertaining, successfully maintains the suspense until the end (I actually only meant to read for half an hour, and ended up finishing the whole thing), and I enjoyed the relationship between "normal" Alec and werewolf Liam.

I thought the author did a nice, subtle job of capturing Liam's "otherness." I wish we had been able to go a little further with that, and how it would impact his rel
The UHQ Nasanta

It's hard to analyze or even tease out what parts of the book I liked and what failed for me - or to do so in a succinct and coherent manner.

I liked it, the first half mostly. Further into the second half, I started feeling more detached from the characters and the story. I started reading the words but not exactly being immersed by them. I liked Alec, and his relationship with Ira and Claire.

Most of the time, I felt like I was missing some background story, especially regarding Veron
Snowtulip
I think I finally truly understand Laddie's crack attack shelf (Mmmm, brain candy).

Can't stop reading this book, the next book, and then I'll be on book 3 before you know it.

Not anything truly out of the norm or amazing, and some of the situations and responses are things that might annoy me in other situations, but for some reason I am just eating this story up (and the second one). I hate when I can't pinpoint something like this...but I apparently have a Joely Skye addiction now :D Must have
Wendy Ann
3.5 stars. There were aspects of this story that felt like I should know more about, things I ended up piecing together in my own way (primarily about the Quad and why Alec was Marked). The relationship between Alec and Liam was all rough and tumble – no softness and a bit of an ongoing struggle for dominance. The children were integral to the story and really quite adorable. I enjoyed some of the unique elements to this one and hope to gain a little more understanding in the following books.
Shannon
I think this was my first Joely Skye book and I really, really like her writing style. No wasted words and not overly descriptive, just right. A great story of a man "marked" by werewolves and the man who is to be his mate. No real angst or tears and the sex was pretty hot. Not smoking up the pages, but decent enough. I'm pretty sure that I now have to read any other books in the series. Damn, more books added to my to-read pile.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
I really liked this story. Alec has been through so much, it is hard not to feel for him as he comes to accept things. Liam continually suppresses his alpha tendencies to ease the way for Alec, and I really loved them together. The children are adorable, and hope to see more of them in other books. I'm definitely going to try the next one in this series.
Jesse
I finished this entire book in less than 24 hrs, it was that good. I tried to go to sleep but couldn't because I wanted to read just one more chapter.

I feel like my reviews are always super short when I love a book, but... I just really liked this? The relationship between the characters was complicated and while it had a twinge of instalove, it seemed to make sense given the story. I loved their characters. I loved how the relationships they had with other characters - especially with the chil
Kelly
First and foremost, this novel is in dire need of an editor. Half of it is in passable English, and the other half is filled with grammatical errors, punctuation errors, and generally vague, confusing structures that don't lend themselves at all to storytelling.

Which is my second complaint here. (The storytelling, I mean.) Characterizations start out interesting and dissolve into clichéd, confused messes where actions are hardly justifiable and often seem downright random. The plot is interesti
Audra
Mar 15, 2012 Audra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy, M/M fans
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I really enjoyed the difference in werewolf society. I loved the somewhat uncommon character names. I was pleasantly surprised by the differences from traditional werewolves.
Denise
I loved this book - couldn't put it down. I fell in love with the characters immediately. The plot was interesting and unique. I'm looking forward to reading more of the series.
Nene
I really liked this. It had some interesting twists to the wolf world that I found enjoyable. I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here.
Sue
Released in 2007 I didn't find this magnificent story until 2014, how behind do I have to be??
This of course, was written by the outstanding author Joely Skye. This was a terrific story about Liam and Alec. Two more unlikely men, that were meant to meet. It wasn't a love at first sight story, although it didn't take them long to hit the jackpot. It was a great story of helping Alec to understand the difference between good and bad shifters, while one is trying to kill him. If you love shifter s
Deb
Two and half stars. It started out strong but waited way too long to clarify what exactly is going on. If it wasn't for the blurb we wouldn't know that Alec was kidnapped and marked as prey by werewolves nor that Liam is a werewolf until halfway through the book The writing was grammatically correct, but the punctuation was a mess. I think the author was going for artistic but the end result was disjointed and hindered my ability to comprehend the narrative. I found myself constantly rereading p ...more
Bee
Definitely the best shifter-book I've read so far! This is not a genre that has worked for me previously but the way that this one was written makes me realize it can be done in a great way.

Alec is living a shell of the life he used to have. He's working as a librarian and loves to read to the kids that come by every week, but he's afraid and lonely because of a traumatic event a year ago that has made him jumpy around forceful men and wary of the full moon.

One of the kids he's reading to is Ira
Geoffrey
I'm not that big into werewolf books - for that matter, paranormal romance isn't really my thing. I've read Langley's with/without novels (which I liked) and Skye's Minder/Zombie novellas (which I did not like) but that's about the only ones I've read, so my ability to compare to other authors is limited. I picked this up as freebie and found myself reading the book in one sitting. It was diverting and fun and a good choice for for a day home sick.

I liked her take on werewolves - they seemed muc
Charly
An interesting take on werewolves, but I found the story a little uneven

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 6/10

PROS:
- I’ve read a fair number of werewolf stories, and they all have some basic similarities (the draw of the full moon, heightened sense of smell, mating for life, etc.). Many of those fundamentals are present in this story, but Skye treats some of them differently than most writers do (how/when a wolf recognizes his mate, for example). I f
MK (Food actvist)
Feb 26, 2009 MK (Food actvist) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of m/m PNR romance, shifter>werewolf
Joely Skye was able to make a simple theme brew with feeling and emotion.

I love shifter romance. I love m/m shifter romance even more. Alec having to work through his tortured past and try to convince himself not to fall for a man he so obviously is falling for. The internal struggle Alec goes through was touching. To see him have to face the fact that his new lover is like the people he had be tortured and abused by. The man he wants to trust his heart to is a wolf.

Liam is an alpha that is wi
Julesmarie
This was surprisingly fun. The blurb sounded rather dark and slightly confusing, but I couldn't resist the shifter story.

I really enjoyed how intertwined all of the characters' back stories were. I was afraid that it might be too confusing, but there wasn't ever a huge info-dump and it all unfolded nicely.

The only thing that bothered me was that the worst thing we saw the big scary villain guy do was pet... I just had a hard time understanding how that was quite as traumatizing as I was meant to
Beck
This is a different take on the shifter trope ... I would have rated it 4 or more stars if I didn't feel like I'd been dropped into the story half way through ... I probably spent between a third and a half of the book trying to sort out the dynamics of the shifter relationships and pack politics ... I will continue with the series because I'm intrigued to see how things progress ... Joely has a gift of creating compelling, fascinating characters so I definitely want to spend more time in Alec a ...more
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline, #1)
  • Unexpected Demands (Hidden Wolves, #2)
  • Altered Heart
  • Without Reservations (With or Without #1)
  • Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club, #1)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Lone
  • Out There in the Night (Out There, #1)
  • Just Like Cats and Dogs
  • Shattered Secrets (In the Shadow of the Wolf #1)
  • Sebastian's Wolves (Among Wolves #1)
  • Carnal Intentions (Lost Shifters, #4)
  • Crying For The Moon
  • Into the Woods
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
  • Oleander House (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #1)
  • Infected: Prey (Infected, #1)
Joely Skye has written for more years than she can remember. Her latest writing passion is romance and shapeshifters. She lives with her husband and two children in Canada.

To learn more about Joely Skye, please visit www.joelyskye.com or her Yahoo Group.

She also writes as Jorrie Spencer (www.jorriespencer.com).

More about Joely Skye...

Northern Shifters (4 books)
  • Feral (Northern Shifters, #2)
  • Lynx (Northern Shifters, #3)
  • Running Wild (Northern Shifters, #4)
Feral (Northern Shifters, #2) Lynx (Northern Shifters, #3) Wolf Town (Wolf Town, #1) Push Pull (Wolf Town, #2) Moon Run (Wolf Town, #3)