Start by marking “50 Great Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
50 Great Ghost Stories

50 Great Ghost Stories

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Here is a terrifying collection of tales of the tortured souls doomed to roam the earth in search of redemption. You'll encounter such weird wanderers as: The Headless Mistress of Wellington Barracks, The Lurking Horror of Berkeley Square, The Love Maidens of China, The Spectral Cavalry Platoon, The Savage Head of the Hanged Man and many, many more.
Published January 1st 1973 by Bantam Books (first published November 16th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about 50 Great Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Great Ghost Stories

D. Hilliard
A few weeks back I was delighted to learn I could buy Fifty Great Ghost Stories online, and proceeded immediately to do so. I had first purchased it over thirty years ago, while spending the summer at my Grandparents farm, and looked forward to reliving a bit of those days.
Now, after rereading the compilation through the eyes of an adult, I’m glad to say it didn’t let me down. But I do believe a word of warning should be given. If you go into this hoping to get a bunch of thrills and scares, you
Armada Volya
I didn't like the style of... not even writing but rather the way these stories are told. It feels more like reading a text book on ghosts than a spooky, horrific adventure. I got through the first two stories and started to read the third when I gave up on it. It just wasn't capturing my attention.
If you're looking for accounts on ghost encounters, this might work for you, but for someone who needed to pass time on her way to work, it didn't cut it.
James
While I do not believe in ghosts, have never had any real-life experiences that would suggest to me their existence, I enjoy reading ghost stories, especially when they are well-written as are many in this anthology. The idea of an ethereal presentation of a dead person to the living is typical notion of a ghost, but psychic manifestations in general may be used to suggest the presence of the supernatural. In spite of the skepticism of scientists, such writers as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle have been ...more
Kwende
Splendid collection of short stories set in England
Luke
A book I first read as a young child, this is more a collection of folklore than of spooky tales. There's a selection from around the world, mostly couched in pretty dated - but quaint - language. None are later than the 1960s.

It's a good collection of older stories. Not blood-dripping, as my mother might say. Bonus points for the header illustrations with each story: if your copy lacks them, you're missing half the fun.
Jwjohnsen
I have always been a sucker for a good ghost story, but only two of the fifty made any of my hair stand on end, and only one got me so creeped out that I wanted to hide under the covers.
Theresa
some of the stories are weird some are great
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Linda Chanchai
Linda Chanchai marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Davonna Juroe
Davonna Juroe is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Kristy Poston
Kristy Poston marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Marrion
Marrion marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Beth
Beth added it
Jan 14, 2015
Keach
Keach added it
Dec 22, 2014
Mandie Crago
Mandie Crago marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Amy Jordan
Amy Jordan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Lids
Lids marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
50 Great Horror Stories أغرب حكايات السحر More Great Ghost Stories Unsolved Murders And Mysteries 100 Great Modern Lives