50 Great Ghost Stories

50 Great Ghost Stories

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Here is a terrifying collection of tales of the tortured souls doomed to roam the earth in search of redemption. You'll encounter such weird wanderers as: The Headless Mistress of Wellington Barracks, The Lurking Horror of Berkeley Square, The Love Maidens of China, The Spectral Cavalry Platoon, The Savage Head of the Hanged Man and many, many more.
Published January 1st 1973 by Bantam Books (first published November 16th 1966)

D. Hilliard
A few weeks back I was delighted to learn I could buy Fifty Great Ghost Stories online, and proceeded immediately to do so. I had first purchased it over thirty years ago, while spending the summer at my Grandparents farm, and looked forward to reliving a bit of those days.
Now, after rereading the compilation through the eyes of an adult, I’m glad to say it didn’t let me down. But I do believe a word of warning should be given. If you go into this hoping to get a bunch of thrills and scares, you...more
Armada Volya
I didn't like the style of... not even writing but rather the way these stories are told. It feels more like reading a text book on ghosts than a spooky, horrific adventure. I got through the first two stories and started to read the third when I gave up on it. It just wasn't capturing my attention.
If you're looking for accounts on ghost encounters, this might work for you, but for someone who needed to pass time on her way to work, it didn't cut it.
James
While I do not believe in ghosts, have never had any real-life experiences that would suggest to me their existence, I enjoy reading ghost stories, especially when they are well-written as are many in this anthology. The idea of an ethereal presentation of a dead person to the living is typical notion of a ghost, but psychic manifestations in general may be used to suggest the presence of the supernatural. In spite of the skepticism of scientists, such writers as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle have been...more
Luke
A book I first read as a young child, this is more a collection of folklore than of spooky tales. There's a selection from around the world, mostly couched in pretty dated - but quaint - language. None are later than the 1960s.

It's a good collection of older stories. Not blood-dripping, as my mother might say. Bonus points for the header illustrations with each story: if your copy lacks them, you're missing half the fun.
Jwjohnsen
I have always been a sucker for a good ghost story, but only two of the fifty made any of my hair stand on end, and only one got me so creeped out that I wanted to hide under the covers.
Theresa
some of the stories are weird some are great
Chelsebelle
Chelsebelle is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2014
Shalini
Shalini marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Wanda Converse
Wanda Converse marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Lana Glover
Lana Glover is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2014
Timon Wang
Timon Wang marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2014
Charlise Edwards
Charlise Edwards marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Sigilise
Sigilise marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Harr May
Harr May marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
Abraham Spencer
Abraham Spencer marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Joyce Gerhardt
Joyce Gerhardt marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Joyce Manalac
Joyce Manalac marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Ibrahim Lawal
Ibrahim Lawal marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
50 Great Horror Stories More Great Ghost Stories Fifty True Tales of Terror (A Century Book) Unsolved Murders And Mysteries 100 Great Modern Lives