Start by marking “500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Flavorful Recipes to Suit Your Every Taste and Craving!

Looking for more variety in your vegan cooking? Maybe a new type of muffin to make? Or perhaps a pasta or savory pie that’s “just a little different,” but full of flavor and taste?

500 Vegan Recipes gives you the array of dishes you’ve been searching for, while still including all your favorite comfort foods and traditi
Published November 1st 2009 by Fair Winds Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 500 Vegan Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 Vegan Recipes

Jo
This is quite a monster of a book, clocking in at 512 pages but it does include a wonderful variety of recipes. With 20 chapters, they cover pretty much everything! A little disappointed that a book so large has not even one picture but once I got to the list of resources at the back of the book and realized the authors have a Flickr Group full of pictures of the goods, my rating did go from 3 to 4. Still a little inconvenient since you have to click on each picture to find out what it is but it ...more
Susan Empizo Vega
I really wanted to love this book. I loved her Complete Guide to Vegan Substitutions, and the variety of recipes appealed to me. Add to that the simplicity of ingredients and ease of recipes, I thought this would be a no-brained 5 star book.
But, after a handful of recipes, I am so disappointed! Everything I made was edible, but none of them had that "oh-my-goodness-this-is-so-awesome-I-can't-believe-I-made-this-and-this-is-a-keeper-of-a-recipe". I tried the sweet and sour tofu (the sauce was run
Kate

This was the first vegan cookbook I bought and I have enjoyed working my way through it. If I had one complaint about it that complaint would be that many of the recipes were either complicated or really time consuming. Also, this book does not include nutrition information.
Marlene
Excellent -- many of the recipes had regular ingredients and didn't have you running to Whole Foods for some obscure thing.
Gaijinmama
An excellent, user-friendly compilation of delicious animal-free recipes. I think this is my favorite Vegan cookbook so far.
Sharon James
This is my favourite vegan cookbook so far! We have loved EVERY recipe in this book. They are full of flavour and most of the recipes have 3 or 4 variations.

Julie
This book is huge and I'm rating it based on my cursory skimming of the recipes. I noticed a lot of side type dishes and not actual meals. There did seem to be quite a few recipes for sauces and dressings that looked tasty. Baking recipes are also a plus and there appeared to be some bread and dessert ones included. I'll have to come back to this one when I have more time to actually experiment with the recipes. I'd give it 3 stars but it has NO pictures which is pretty detrimental for a book of ...more
Liz
I'm not a vegan (nor vegetarian for that matter), but I like to try different things, and to make sure I have a variety of options for any friends I may be entertaining. This book definitely delivers on the variety, which was my main reason for chosing it. I haven't made a significant dent in the overall count of 500 recipes, but have enjoyed what I've made and am especially fond of the Rustic Potato Leek Soup. I do wish there were pictures. All cookbooks should have SOME pictures.
Beth Klingler
I love to cook, I love to experiment, and I have some vegan and some vegetarian friends and I like to accomodate everyone. I have been pleased with the recipes I've tried from this book. Parnippity Stew was a big winner. I cannot however give 5 stars to any cookbook that includes no pictures. It's just not right. I want to SEE the Festivus Loaf before I decide I want it on my holiday table.
Gina
Dec 26, 2009 Gina marked it as cooking
Shelves: own, vegetarian-vegan
Veggie Curry: Pretty good. I must find a garam masala that does not contain cinnamon. I hate cinnamon in savory dishes.

Veggie Chow Mein: Good, next time I will put in a lot more broccoli.
Monika
Best tea cake recipes I've ever made, pre-gan years included. Awesome homemade seitan and mock crumbles (tvp-based and vwg-based, in case you are soy- or gluten-allergic).
Rexanna
Okay, I have a ways to go before I can make the perfect black bean burger, but this book has been an inspiration for a variety of vegan food.
Carrie
I did not find many recipes to use in this book, mainly because I prefer recipes with few ingredients, and also gluten-free.

Cynthia L
Cynthia L marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Michelle Leisey
Michelle Leisey marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
January
January marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jennifer Hillier
Jennifer Hillier marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Mira
Mira marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jessa
Jessa marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
frances White
frances White marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan Express
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real Peoplein the Real World
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal Whole Grain Vegan Baking: More than 100 Tasty Recipes for Plant-Based Treats Made Even Healthier-From Wholesome Cookies and Cupcakes to Breads, Biscuits, and More Vegan Finger Foods: More Than 100 Crowd-Pleasing Recipes for Bite-Size Eats Everyone Will Love