Start by marking “Robur the Conqueror” as Want to Read:
Robur the Conqueror

Robur the Conqueror (Extraordinary Voyages #29)

"Citizens of the United States! My name is Robur. I am worthy of the name! I am forty years old, although I look but thirty, and I have a constitution of iron, a healthy vigor that nothing can shake, a muscular strength that few can equal, and a digestion that would be thought first class even in an ostrich!" Jules Verne's classic "Robur the Conqueror" originally published ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about Robur the Conqueror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robur the Conqueror

Pramod Nair
Robur the Conqueror, also known as The Clipper of the Clouds is a science fiction from Jules Verne written in 1886 along the similar lines of his masterpiece Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. While ‘Twenty thousand leagues under the sea’ with its enigmatic Captain Nemo and his underwater exploits in Nautilus was an enthralling and exciting reading experience Robur the Conqueror was a less thrilling read.

This volume from Verne describes the adventures of Robur - a wannabe conqueror of the w
Manny
Sep 10, 2011 Manny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
[With apologies to Monty Python]

Albatross

John Cleese: Albatross! Albatross!! Albatross!!!

Customer: Have you got any character development or memorable dialogue?

Cleese: Of course I haven't got any bloody character development or memorable dialogue, this is a bloody Jules Verne novel! But I have got an Albatross...

Customer: What flavour is it?

Cleese: It isn't any fucking flavour, it's a fucking heavier-than-air flying machine. Albatross...

Customer: But everything's got a flavour.

Cleese: Alright then, it's
Fernando
Hacía mucho tiempo que tenía ganas de leer una novela de aventuras y espontáneamente, me vinieron a la cabeza Emilio Salgari y Jules Verne. Como no tengo nada de Salgari, pero Verne fue mi gran ídolo literario de la infancia, seleccioné "Robur el Conquistador" para rememorar esas viejas épocas.
Aún recuerdo, de niño, que iba a la biblioteca de mi pueblo y en un estante, arriba del todo, estaban los grandes volúmenes con toda la obra de Verne.
Yo retiraba tres de esos libros y me los leía en los
Mike
Jan 01, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

The review from afar – No. 24

Re-revised forward to these overseas reviews:
Since emulating a yo-yo, I continue to rely on the old-style Kindle 3G for any non-technical reading. I tip my hat to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg: virtually every title I have or will be reading in the near future comes from them.

Robur the Conqueror is a scientific fiction story about the inventor of a marvelous heavier-than-air craft in the time when lighter-than-airships (e.g. balloons & dirigibles) were just
Jim
Jul 27, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, scifi, adventure
This certainly is not Jules Verne's best book. Take a group of characters involved in ballooning (called aerostats in the book) and a strange Captain Nemo look-alike called Robur who has a heavier than air ship called the Albatross, which is an "aeronef," very like a sort of an elaborate helicopter.

When Philadelphia's Weldon Institute, headed up by Uncle Prudent (I kid you not) and Phil Evans have a meeting preparatory to launching a giant balloon called the "Go-Ahead," the meeting is interrupt
Marley
May 29, 2013 Marley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only positive thing I found in this book was the description of The Albatross. It's classic Jules Verne, describing in detail a flying machine years before the Wright Brothers, with a round-the-world journey in the bargain.

However, I can't review this story without pointing out the really disturbing levels of racism repeated in it. It was published in a time when you are tempted to dismiss racist language as "just a product of the time" and yet, it's not just an offensive turn of phrase here
Anfenwick
Jan 21, 2014 Anfenwick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I disliked the racist aspect of the book which consists mostly of systematically using the African American character for comic effect. I know Verne systematically makes fun of people on the basis of their national backgrounds but we still swallow that down. I also know the Verne books were meant to be didactic. Nearly half of this one is given over to describing the earth seen from above. I'm sure it was intended as the 19th century's version of The Earth from the Air by Yann Arthus-Bertrand. I ...more
Dan
Apr 13, 2009 Dan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like me some science fiction now and then. When I first started reading 'grown-up' books in fourth grade or so, I refused to read anything but science fiction and fantasy even. As an adult, I've lost most of my taste for it and generally am of the opinion that the majority of the vast ocean of science fiction is derivative trash.

But the truly greats, the Asimovs, the Leguins, I still love. I think it's a mistake to let yourself, whether writing or reading, be blinded by the speculative and oth
Russell
Jun 26, 2012 Russell rated it liked it
Of Verne's stories that I've read, they tend to consist of two major elements, some science fiction and a travelogue. These elements contributed to his success during his life and his continued popularity; he defined the Scientific Romance. In Robur he uses those elements and he tries his hand at another Captain Nemo, but with limited success. Robur is a genius, without a doubt, bold and daring, inventor of a fantastic means of travel, scoops up three unwilling passengers and carts them off for ...more
Murnau
Leí este libro en plena fiebre steampunk. Desde chiquitín sentí fascinación por Julio Verne, mi eterno tocayo: sus inventos adelantados a su tiempo, sus aventuras freneticas, sus personajes rebeldes y misteriosos, sus parajes de fantasía antediluviana. Si, me gustaba Julio Verne, y me he leído un buen tochete de su obra, que abarcan maravillas -su mayoria- a horrendos pastiches de si mismo.
Y, ¿Que es Robur el Conquistador? Robur es un romance científico, como gustaba llamarlas su autor, una ave
BJ Rose
Aug 06, 2009 BJ Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, loaned-to-me
This is a masterpiece! The Albatross is to the skies what the Nautilus in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is to the oceans.

Jules Verne was surely a genius - in his scientific knowledge, in his imagination, in his ability to tell a great story. His words create beautiful visual pictures of the regions the Albatross flies over - what a great geography lesson! And the man had a prodigious vocabulary - words such as crepuscular (at twilight), fulginous (like lightning), phanerogam (spermatophytes -
Travis
This collects the two books about Verne's less famous pirate of the air.
The first pretty much repeats the formula of '20,000 Leagues under sea' except this time we see the world from the air. Dry and not a ton of characterization, but fun.

The second chronicles Robur's never terribly well explained descent into madness and his plans to conquer the world. Bit more mystery and adventure, but a really unstatisfying ending.

As always, it's Verne, so worth a read, and while I like Robur, his books aren
Robert
Dec 15, 2014 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Robur the Conqueror is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea but without a single likable character. The would-be protagonists are whiny, stubborn, and just don't care about any of the plot happening around them. The discount Captain Nemo lacks any of the intrigue of the original, and isn't an anti-hero or a villian per se, he's just a tool.

I quite enjoy other Jules Verne books, but this one felt cheap and rushed. I like to imagine he wrote it over a weekend for booze money.
dragonhelmuk
Jan 26, 2014 dragonhelmuk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think I've now read 10 different Jules Verne books and I normally really like them and know what to expect. This time, for the first time, reading Robur the Conqueror I was surprised. -

In this book Jules Verne is a terrible, terrible racist.

Normally I can ignore that and just think of it as a sad artifact of the time period. I've read the first six Tarzan books and really enjoyed them. I've read a large proportion of Lovecraft and loved that. I actually read the sequel to Robur, "The Master o
Andrew Ives
Understandably not one of Verne's more famous works, but interesting enough to anyone with a vague interest in 19thC travel and early flying machines nonetheless. It does read rather like Around the World in 80 Days or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with a new mysterious Nemo-esque protagonist, taking in a few other places along the way. It can get a bit dry at times - akin to reading a travel itinerary - as well as being rather 'Boys' Own' with lots of scientific stuff and somewhat tiresome bulli ...more
Momo
Feb 19, 2015 Momo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robur the Conqueror was an interesting take on two main theories of how a man should conquer the sky. On one hand there were ''lighter than air'' proponents, and on the other hand there were ''heavier than air'' proponents. The former believed man can only fly in balloons, while the latter believed that man can fly in machines propelled by screws.
The whole book is a fictional explanation of why the ''heavier than air'' theory is better, and that is proved by making tour of the world in one of su
Lucy
Dec 19, 2013 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much shorter than his more famous works, but very typical - incomprehensible science, casual racism, unbelievable characters...while I was reading this, I thought what a load of rubbish, but I've found myself downloading the sequel so there must have been something compelling about it!
Redderationem
Ho purtroppo affrontato con un filo di disincanto questa visione di un futuro passato. Più distratto da quanto l'effettivo sviluppo dell'aeronautica abbia disatteso le speculazioni verniane ed annoiato dalle parti didascaliche che raccontavano l'epopea degli aerostati e la diatribe simili a quella nella quale Robur irrompe ad affetto quando compare la prima volta nel romanzo. Poi, dopo aver ragionato un po' sulla carta pressata come materiale indistruttibile, faccio un paio di conti sulla resa d ...more
Bill Bradford
As pointed out in other reviews, the plot is certainly less than in in other Verne novels - still, it is amazing that Verne foresaw so much of heavier than air flight. A fun read just because of this.
John Peel
Dec 26, 2015 John Peel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing my re-reading of the Verne classics I loved as a teenager, this is also known as "Clipper Of The Clouds". There are overtones of "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" in this tale of a maverick inventor who builds an electrically-powered flying machine, but it is a lot of fun. It's also another example of Verne's clear-sighted view of the future through science. He points out that balloons and dirigibles will never conquer the air - but a heavier-than-air machine powered by the right force w ...more
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
One of Jules Verne's most imaginative books"," this tells the story of Robur and his Aeronef"," an airship powered by dozens of helicopter blades. I recently reread this in French"," and guess what! The original is a much better read than any of the translations. Published in English originally as "The Clipper of the Clouds" and filmed as "Master of the World" starring Vincent Price. "Master of the World" is actually the title of the sequel"," involving Robur's next vehicle"," a vehicle which co ...more
Luis
Apr 21, 2012 Luis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verne es mas detallado que Google Earth en esta novela.
Me ha gustado mucho.
Gottfried Neuner
Sep 21, 2015 Gottfried Neuner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What exactly was the point of this story, really? Was there one? The characters stay cardboard cutouts, character development is non-existent, and the whole plot is going nowhere. Nemo had at least a reason to take the protagonists on board, his expy Robur just wants to be a dick for being a dick's sake. He shows up in a club in Philadelphia, calls everyone there idiots, and then kidnaps the main characters for a trip in his airship when they laugh at him.
I guess Verne really wanted to write a
Tiago Filipe
Penso que a história até é, razoavelmente, interessante, mas a ação só começa no último quarto do livro, o que retira muito do interesse que, eventualmente, o livro poderia proporcionar. Foi o meu primeiro livro de Júlio Verne e fiquei um pouco desiludido, esperava mais de tão mítico escritor! Além de que a tradução do meu livro deixou muito a desejar - sinceramente, tratar "hélice" o livro todo como se fosse um nome masculino? "a hélice", não é "o hélice"!
Enfim, vale pelo último quarto, se não
Matt
Jan 24, 2015 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book's sequel, "Master of the World" quite a while ago. I enjoyed the sequel a little more because it was a little more far-fetched. Both are fairly outdated. Here though Verne correctly speculates that heavier than air flight is a better mode of transport than lighter than air flight, This and "Master of the World" should be required reading for anyone wanting to write steampunk fiction. These books should form the basic framework for that type of story. Unfortunately, most steampun ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Jules Vernen "Robur Valloittaja" on niitä kirjailijan tieteis- ja seikkailuromaaneja, joita en tullut lapsuudessani lukeneeksi. Muistelisin aloittaneeni kirjan, mutta keskenhän se jäi.

Hyvä pieni minä! Vuonna 1886 ensimmäisen kerran julkaistu romaani on nimittäin harvinaisen puiseva tapaus, jonka lukeminen näin aikuisenakin oli teettää tenän.

Olisin kovasti halunnut pitää kirjasta, lennetäänhän siinä sentään aikaansa edellä olevalla ja mielikuvitusta hivelevällä ilmalaivalla pitkin maailman manter
Matīss
Nov 29, 2015 Matīss rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, french, adventures
Likās, ka tik idiotiski un sekli varoņi ir sastopami vien dumjās padomju propagandas grāmatās un Lata romānos, bet nekā... Izskatās, ka Verns ir vienkārši kaut ko uzštancējis izdevējam pēc sava šablona, tiesa ļoti atšķaidītā versijā - piedzīvojumu (tikpat kā nav), ceļojums (norit lielā steigā un aprakstīts virspusēji), maza šķipsna zinātnisku faktu un pavisam vāja un minimāla kriminālintriga.
Timothy Boyd
I have enjoyed the SiFi stories of Verne before but this one was a bust. It was a poorly rewrite of 20,000 leagues to me but set in the air instead of the sea. Most of the book is just descriptions of the lands flown over. more of a travel journal than a SiFi story. Not recommended
Douglas Spadotto
The beginning was exciting, I liked the "XIX Century pulp" feel to it, as I started calling it, with humorous social and scientific commentary, but then it turned into a young adults' novel. I'll read the second part later this year though, so it's not that bad.
Sharon
Jan 18, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, classics
"Robur the Conqueror" is the eponymous tale of an aeronaut who abducts two scientists because they refuse to believe that his "heavier-than-air craft" exists.

I guess I was a little disappointed that so much of the focus was on the scientists and not on Robur himself, because he was quite an intriguing fellow. The scientists, on the other hand, spent a lot of time whining about how they needed to escape, and their escape efforts were the main focus of the book.

My 2012 reading list includes a grea
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana
  • Gautier Récits Fantastiques
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
  • Doctor Who: Who Killed Kennedy
  • The Land Leviathan: A New Scientific Romance (Oswald Bastable, #2)
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Honeymooners: A Cautionary Tale
  • The Early Asimov or Eleven Years of Trying
  • The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi (Burton & Swinburne, #4)
  • Fantômas (Fantômas, #1)
  • Captain Slaughterboard Drops Anchor
  • The Fiction (Library of Essential Writers)
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages #8)
  • The Blockade Runners (Extraordinary Voyages #8*)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)