Start by marking “Animals Up Close” as Want to Read:
Animals Up Close

Animals Up Close

This visually stunning natural history book brings the animal kingdom closer than you've ever seen it before!
Dramatically close-up images of animals from insects to reptiles to mammals to birds reveal spectacular patterns and shapes. The colors, textures, and structures of all parts of an animal are presented in breathtaking photographs, challenging the reader's understa
Published March 16th 2009 by DK Children

To ask other readers questions about Animals Up Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animals Up Close

Heidi-Marie
Hey--why didn't I get a copy with a cute cover? I got a gecko licking its eyeball and not this cute little treefrog on a pencil.

Well, I can definitely see how this book was nominated. The photography is amazing. Half of these creatures look like they're posing for the camera. It's really kind of neat once I get past the "ick" factor of some. There's not much rhyme or reason to the order of the creatures shown, and there is a wide variety of what is shown. Little details pointed out here and the
Scope
Mar 25, 2009 Scope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
Beautiful photography meets high quality facts to create a nonfiction title that everyone should see. Although not the first to offer close-proximity images (Nic Bishop’s work is a recent example), Animals Up Close does so with a variety of fauna, and at a level few can touch. From centipedes to sea urchins, hermit crabs to chameleons, students will be repulsed, amazed, and thoroughly transfixed by this book.

Animals Up Close first provides some context for the small creatures that are to be pres
Freda Mans-Labianca
Aug 08, 2010 Freda Mans-Labianca rated it liked it
I really wish I hadn't just finished Animal Life, before finishing this book. I felt at the end, that there could have been so much more added to this book, and I was a little disappointed in its length.
On the other side of things, I really liked what was given. The animals in this particular book are different in nature, and the author lays the book out in a beautiful way. I LOVE the macro (close-up) shots of the creatures! Quite fascinating stuff!
I can't recommend it, but won't hate on it eith
Jenna Renner
The pictures in this book were very up close and detailed and it shows colors and shapes that you would not be able to see by just looking at these animals. I think that students would be very interested in the pictures of the animals. From my classroom experience, students love looking at pictures of animals and discussing them with the class. The students loved when the teacher read the story about the animals to them and they would all talk about their experiences with the different animals. ...more
Emily
Dec 02, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
This book is exactly what the title says… "up close!" this book was awesome to me because everything was so close and in high detail. this would be a great scientific book to read in the classroom. most students might not be familiar with some of the animals, or even know that that's what they actually look like up close.
Christine
Aug 23, 2011 Christine rated it it was ok
While the pictures are stunning in this book it leaves you with an unrealistic idea of the size of the animal. The beetle is the same size as the owl, and although the book includes a diagram that lists the actual size, it's not to scale. The book lists lots of interesting facts about various animals but it reads too much like an encyclopedia for my tastes.
Robin Griffith
Feb 09, 2016 Robin Griffith rated it it was amazing
This remarkable book features intriguingly small animals, small enough to hold in your hands. Siwanowicz shoes that despite these animal's size their makeup is truly astonishing. These photographs are sure to interest students from across a wide variety of ages!
Julesmarie
LOVE this! Stunning pictures, lots and lots of fun facts. My students can spend hours with this one!
Josie Dipiero
Nov 13, 2013 Josie Dipiero rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
I liked that facts that this book put the pictures on a 2 page spread. It shows that it is up close. The book was very informative and I liked the detailed photography! Good book!
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2010
Finny
Feb 13, 2012 Finny rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-nonfiction
Mommy says: We just skimmed this book (aside from the page on gerbils). Great pix!
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2009
Joshua Engelbrecht
Joshua Engelbrecht rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Kate Hastings
Mar 21, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 4-7 animals nonfiction
This will be a fun book to talk about for summer reading. Great photos. Interesting subjects.
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2009
Rachele Eve
Rachele Eve rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
carissa
carissa rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Marla
Maine Student Book Award Nominee 2010
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2010
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
May 01, 2009
Lisa Lesyshen
Lisa Lesyshen rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2010
Thaddeus
Thaddeus rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2010
Allanna
Allanna rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2010
Danica Midlil
IL: middle grades
AR: 8.6
Alev
Alev rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012