Start by marking “Hellforged (Soul Drinkers, #5)” as Want to Read:
Hellforged (Soul Drinkers, #5)

Hellforged (Soul Drinkers #5)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Space Marines are humanity's champions, their loyalty to the Emperor beyond question. When a Chapter falls from grace, the Imperium will stop at nothing to hunt them down and exterminate them. The disgraced Souldrinkers Chapter attempts to elude their pursuers in a desolate area of space, but Sarpedon and his battle-brothers soon find themselves fighting for their live ...more
Published April 6th 2009 by The Black Library (first published March 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hellforged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellforged

Joseph Sanicky
Mar 03, 2014 Joseph Sanicky rated it liked it
A largely unnecessary entry into the series, in my rather fanboyish opinion. I spent most of the novel wanting to get to a solid conclusion for the Soul Drinkers. I did enjoy the confused gleaning of information about this novel's big-bad, (view spoiler) ...more
Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 Andrew Ziegler rated it really liked it
Meh.

I have never really enjoyed this author's depiction of Space Marines. In fact, the much maligned Battle for the Abyss was probably my favorite of his works.

That being said, I greatly enjoyed the Chapter of Marines that he dubbed the Soul Drinkers. Although, they have only done that trick once. They were an interesting enough Chapter, and their story and plight for survival a compelling one.

However, this story does not satisfy. I have read better defense of cities with hopeless odds from bet
Jean-Luc
Jan 24, 2013 Jean-Luc rated it liked it
The Soul Drinkers Space Marines are down and almost out.

After their 2nd chapter war (in the 4th book, helpfully titled Chapter War), they retreated to uncharted territories to lick their wounds. Unfortunately, an Adeptus Mechanicus fleet is hot on their trail, eager to avenge their losses and maybe even recover the Soul Spear. Even better, the Soul Drinkers' search for supplies leads them to worlds bursting at the seams with Necrons.

It's entirely possible that author Ben Counter was making thing
Callum Shephard
Jun 23, 2013 Callum Shephard rated it really liked it
Still reeling from their losses from the events on Vanqualis, the Soul Drinkers find themselves severely diminished in number and lacking in resources. Things are only made worse when they discover an Adeptus Mechanicus fleet determined to bring the chapter to “justice” who severely damage the Brokenback and a force lurking in the unknown worlds of the galaxy’s rim: The Necrons.

On the surface Chapter War and Hellforged seem like very similar books. You have a world under threat from an enemy, th
Chris Cagle
Jun 23, 2011 Chris Cagle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had recently gotten into playing the Warhammer 40K tabletop game and stumbled upon a section in my local Borders that had several 40K books. I looked for one that had Necrons in it since that was the army I was playing and this was the only book I could find. It turns out that this is the 5th book in the "Souldrinkers" series so I was a bit lost at first as to who the characters were, but soon I was invested in the story and what a great story it is. The necrons are really brought to life in t ...more
Dylan Murphy
Oct 24, 2013 Dylan Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer-40k
At first, I was a little worried about where Mr. Counter was going to take this novel. I still have no idea what a certain someone is planning, and I figure I will find out in the last book, or in the novella that goes in between books 5 and 6(Daenyathos).
The best part of this novel for me, was the Necrons. They were written exactly like they should have been. Cold, calculated, and as soulless as a machine created by malevolent gods should be.
The ending battles against the Necrons were particu
Patrick
Already a fan of the Soul Drinker series, this was one of my favorites - they encounter a new, frightening and perplexing foe deep within the isolated Veiled Region, and a get surprise visit from their past - it kept me interested and entertained throughout. Looking forward to book 6!
Christian
Jul 02, 2011 Christian rated it liked it
The best Ben Counter book by far. Characters, battles on an epic level, gut wrenching moments and a doozy of a cliffhanger. This book was finally about the Soul Drinkers themselves.
Marc
Aug 08, 2011 Marc rated it it was ok
Hey, Necrons ain't this amazing in the game! Though I am confused with the fluff's portrayal of some intermediary between the Necron Lords and the C'tan...
Damien
Mar 11, 2012 Damien rated it really liked it
A good read, up until the end.... Left a lot to be desired. VERY anti-climactic.

It almost seems like Ben Counter didn't know where to go with the story.
Peter Kohut
Dec 27, 2012 Peter Kohut rated it really liked it
One my favourite stories so far! The necrons are so creepy!
Matthew Mulherin
Jun 02, 2012 Matthew Mulherin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer
So far one of my favourite series of all time.
Bob
Jan 18, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
the whole, rogue chapter is a fun premise.
Ryan Mccann
Jun 12, 2013 Ryan Mccann rated it liked it
Is this going somewhere?
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
James Mcdaid
James Mcdaid rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jan 22, 2016
Joshua Gomez
Joshua Gomez rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
António Canto
António Canto marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
David
David added it
Jan 25, 2016
Pavel
Pavel added it
Jan 09, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Leigh Bellouny
Leigh Bellouny rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Phil Barton
Phil Barton rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Juventino
Juventino rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Paul Ryan
Paul Ryan rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
  • Relentless
  • Execution Hour
  • Fear the Alien
  • Wolf's Honour
Ben Counter, as well as making several contributions to Inferno magazine, has written the Soul Drinkers and Grey Knights series and two Horus Heresy novels for the Black Library. He is an ancient history graduate and avid miniature painter with a bronze demon under his belt.
More about Ben Counter...

Soul Drinkers (7 books)
  • Soul Drinker (Soul Drinkers, #1)
  • The Bleeding Chalice (Soul Drinkers, #2)
  • Crimson Tears (Soul Drinkers, #3)
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Phalanx (Soul Drinkers, #6)
  • Daenyathos (Sould Drinkers, #7)