Start by marking “Child of Fortune” as Want to Read:
Child of Fortune

Child of Fortune

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In the exotic interstellar civilization of the Second Starfaring Age, youthful wanderers are known as Children of Fortune. This is the tale of one such wanderer, who seeks her destiny on an odyssey of self-discovery amid humanity's many worlds. Arresting and visionary, Child of Fortune is a science-fictional On the Road.
Published March 6th 2002 by Tom Doherty Associates (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Child of Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of Fortune

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsThe Daughter of Ares Chronicles by Shannon McRoberts
Books With Action Heroines
155th out of 456 books — 396 voters
Sexus by Henry MillerPlexus by Henry MillerNexus by Henry MillerChildren of Hamelin by Norman SpinradChild of Fortune by Norman Spinrad
Mind Expanding Fiction
5th out of 28 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Alexander
Mar 25, 2008 Michael Alexander rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hallucinogen-fiends, loopy 60s SF-heads, people who like james joyce and bad beat poetry
This is the most ragingly 1960s book I've ever read that wasn't produced by '72. Somehow, it took Spinrad till the mid-'80s to sum it ALL up in the form of an idealized coming-of-age-in-space story set in a culture with a pronounced "journeyman" phase that's celebrated as the cornerstone of identity-building; yes, this is in the same universe as the Void Captain's Tale, which is all about spaceships powered by mentally unstable women strapped into mindblowing-orgasm machines, which probably hint ...more
MissingNorth
Child of Fortune found me when I was a teenager. It was the first book I read with a female character who was encouraged (pushed even) into taking control of her whole life, including her sexuality.

This is the type of coming-of-age story I wish more girls could experience in real life - that the world is huge and full of the terrific and terrible, that our individual realities are shaped by how we act and with whom we associate, and that it is not only okay but important to enjoy lovers and fri
Vivian Williams
My initial impression of this book was that anyone in their late teens and twenties should read this, if only for the psychological discourse on youth and spiritual (as well as physical) wanderlust and love of adventure. But as it went on, it developed into something far more sweeping and universal: a tale about the power of tales and their eternal place at the very heart of humanity. And Spinrad wraps up the conclusion both in a satisfying way on this larger, philosophical level, and in the per ...more
Melody
I picked this up at Powell's because I remembered loving it as a kid. Apparently I was hypnotized by the combination of two dollar words and sex, because that's all this book consists of. Spinrad is especially fond of 'puissance', 'hypnogogic' and 'lingam'.

Here's a random sentence: "In truth, as I knew even then, the weltanschauung which had so consumed my soul with dread under the influence of the psychotropic had been little more than the heightened subjective apprehension of the rudiments of
jojo the burlesque poetess
Jul 09, 2009 jojo the burlesque poetess marked it as limbo-unfinished
lent to me by Laurie/libramoon (producer of "emerging visions" ezine) and oh my gosh it is so much fun. erudite franglais and then some. a gibberish even i can say is a bit bizarre, however easy it is for me to understand, given, similar hippy linguisilliness i write in myself...
Patrick
Jan 14, 2009 Patrick is currently reading it
Started this but having a hard slog as the whole thing is written in a kind of neo-Victorian patois that is damned annoying...
Ronald
Norman Spinrad wrote numerous novels and short stories, mostly in science fiction, and is still writing today. His blog is http://normanspinradatlarge.blogspot....

_Child of Fortune_ by Spinrad is one of the most wonderful novels I ever read, an under-rated classic of science fiction. It is the opposite of a dystopian novel: it shows a future, which, at least for me, is quite desirable. Two notable elements of this far future is that the human race has colonized hundreds of worlds, and that every
Sgmiller
Norman Spinard's science fiction tale takes place in a distant Utopian future where humanity has left Earth and colonized some three hundred planets in our race's quest for the ever elusive frontier. We open on a water world that feels like a tropical jungle where people live in buildings suspended or built on the complex root structures (similar I imagine to the Lost coast of Florida ).

Here our narrator, a young female around the age of 17 or 18 years, explains to us some intricacies of human
Stuart
"A young girl's erotic journey from Milan to Minsk..." oops, wrong plot, that was from Seinfeld. Anyway, that is probably not too far off a review for this book. Basically, it is a science fiction story of a girl's Golden Summer of traveling vagabond style across the universe to find her destined path on the Yellow Brick Road.

Moussa Shasta Leonardo (aka Sunshine, aka Wendi) is an intriguing character and the story does try to capture both the romantic ideals of the 1960s Hippie lifestyle and co
Andrew S  Taylor
A flawed jewel. Narrated by a young woman from a privileged family in a future, interplanetary society, it is basically a soul-searching travelogue - in space. Just to funk it up a little, Spinrad gives her a sort of futuristic, neo-Edwardian/Cajun dialect. Yes, really. It borders on extreme silliness too many times to mention, especially in descriptions of tantric sex, of which there are many (oddly enough, though they are wordy and elaborate, they don't actually "show" much).

There is so much a
Marsha Wilcox
Hippie, quirky, full of ideas that make you say "I wonder if that'd work?" I liked it the first time I read it as a counter-culture book in my late teens, and found more depth when I re-read it almost 4 decades later.

What would it be like to be given a year or so to wander and find your true calling? What if society was set up with the expectation that all teens would do this?

What would your true calling have been?
Michael
Brilliant sci fi satirical rendering of the "war" between the sexes published in 1979 which I read and enjoyed in the 80's. A recent tour of Amazon reviews makes me want to recommend it here and consider revisiting it myself. A "pacific" colony of near equality between genders on planet Pacifica is disrupted by opposing new factions in the form of radical feminists and male neofascists.
Jaeme
Apr 03, 2008 Jaeme rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a taste for the fantastic and unusual.
Recommended to Jaeme by: Lori Biletnikoff
This is one of the "bestest/funnest" books I've ever read. It's the tale of a girl's "interstellar life and travels" as she grows to womanhood, and it takes you through some fascinating places and amazing adventures. The characters are colorful, unique, and very memorable.

I've read it at least twice in my life, and I intend to read it again as soon as I can lay hands on a copy.
Dan
This book (and author) are perennial favorites of mine; in particular his post-global polyglot writing style infects any sci-fi I even think about writing.
Tucker
A parable set in a futuristic, space faring society, it is the best novel about being a flowerchild of the 60's I have ever encountered.
zabira
Quite frankly, I enjoy this book somewhat against my will and definitely against my better judgement...
Sarah Sammis
The description pretty much says it all.
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Moy
Moy marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Massimiliano Mortillaro
Massimiliano Mortillaro marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
JT
JT marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
James Jesso
James Jesso marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
  • Earthclan
  • Norstrilia
  • An Alien Heat (Dancers at the End of Time, #1)
  • Nothing Sacred
  • Players at the Game of People
  • All the Traps of Earth
  • Starburst
  • The Exile Waiting
  • The Legion of Space
  • Windfall
  • Earthworks
  • Eternal Light (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #3)
  • The Chantry Guild (Childe Cycle, #9)
  • Dreamships
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • The Shield of Time
  • Return to Rocheworld (Rocheworld, #2)
  • World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle, #2)
Born in New York in 1940, Norman Spinrad has been an acclaimed SF writer.

Norman Spinrad, born in New York City, is a graduate of the Bronx High School of Science. In 1957 he entered City College of New York and graduated in 1961 with a Bachelor of Science degree as a pre-law major. In 1966 he moved to San Francisco, then to Los Angeles, and now lives in Paris. He married fellow novelist N. Lee Woo
More about Norman Spinrad...
Bug Jack Barron The Iron Dream The Void Captain's Tale Little Heroes Agent of Chaos