Start by marking “Chicago Days/Hoboken Nights” as Want to Read:
Chicago Days/Hoboken Nights

Chicago Days/Hoboken Nights

The story of a young man who finds himself somewhat unexpectedly a fine arts major in college, a fledgling sculptor in Chicago, a gadabout painter in Hoboken, and who eventually winds up a writer sometimes called "a born storyteller".The author of more than fifty books, Pinkwater now chronicles his own early life.
Published November 1st 1991 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Chicago Days/Hoboken Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicago Days/Hoboken Nights

Susan
Aug 22, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
What always astounds me about Pinkwater's memoirs is realizing how many of the fantastic elements of his children's books are based on actual events in his life. This particular book covers--as the title would imply--his time in Chicago as a young man learning about art, something of his college years, his years in Hoboken (now, sadly, gentrified out of recognition), his attempts at art. Just to give you an idea, there's one story about how he came to dye a neighbor's vicious cat purple...
Johnsergeant
Nov 24, 2007 Johnsergeant rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, audiblecom
Downloaded from Audible.com

Narrator: Daniel M. Pinkwater
Publisher: Phoenix Audio, 1999
Length: 2 hours and 19 min.

Publisher's Summary
In this comical collection of memories, storyteller Daniel Pinkwater tells how he grew into the beloved figure he is today: a robust genius of the printed page and a rotund genie of the radio. In inimitable fashion, Pinkwater recounts the conversation with his father that suddenly made him an art major in college. He describes his inauguration as a sculptor in a sle
grundoon
Jan 08, 2014 grundoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Being essentially unfamiliar with Pinkwater, I enjoyed this as an introduction to his background and style of storytelling. An entertaining glimpse of a slightly earlier era, which weakens only as continuity gives way to randomness in the final section.
Davis Davis
Aug 10, 2009 Davis Davis rated it it was ok
I'm a huge fan of Pinkwater's fiction, and have been for about 20 years. That said, I was very disappointed with this collection of essays. Some were amusing, but I felt most of them straddled an annoying line between self-aggrandizing and self-deprecation that came off as trite and insincere.
Jacob
Jul 06, 2007 Jacob rated it it was amazing
If Freud had never opened his big yap, we might not need this book. But as it stands, I'm glad there are books like this to reorient me to the possibility of happiness in the modern world.
Konrad
While not nearly as deliriously funny as Pinkwater's fiction, these short bursts of memoir are amusing enough. No way I'd recommend a Pinkwater newbie to start here though.
Isaac
May 27, 2007 Isaac rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: City-dwellers

This book cemented my love for cities (and the City), plus inveigling me into the mysteries of art. So there's a lot to thank/blame it for. Give it a shot.
Jacob
Jul 06, 2007 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Daniel Pinkwater is among those authors who must be heard, especially reading his autobiographies - Chicago Days, Hoboken Nights and Fishwhistle.
Mark Dunn
Nov 04, 2015 Mark Dunn rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
These were NPR radio broadcast ,but very enjoyable even without the authors voice.
B
Oct 23, 2008 B rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
813.54 Autobiographical sketches by a silly children's author and NPR commmentator.
Amanda
Jun 08, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, memoir
This man is the greatest genius of our time.

I'm not kidding.
Susan Katz
Quite good.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
David
David added it
Sep 06, 2016
Lex Emanuel
Lex Emanuel rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Mike MacLean
Mike MacLean rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Rhoda
Rhoda added it
Aug 11, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Patrizia
Patrizia marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Valkyrdeath
Valkyrdeath rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Janis
Janis added it
Feb 12, 2016
Arnett
Arnett rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Deedee Sabin
Deedee Sabin marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
William
William marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Dana
Dana added it
Nov 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...