Start by marking “Almuric” as Want to Read:
Almuric
Read Book* *Different edition

Almuric

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  696 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The creator of Conan looks to the stars in one of fantasy's most enduring science fantasy classics! Robert E. Howard's Almuric is a savage planet of crumbling stone ruins and debased, near-human inhabitants. Into this world comes Esau Cairn, Earthman, swordsman, murderer. Only he can overthrow the terrible devils that enslave Almuric, but to do so he must first defeat the ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Almuric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almuric

Terence
Feb 02, 2012 Terence rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochistic REH completists
Shelves: e-books, sf-fantasy
I'm being generous in my rating. Really, the book doesn't deserve more than a 1.5, a 1.75 at most. I don't think I could have finished it if it had been much longer than the 100 or so pages in my edition (I downloaded it from Amazon's Kindle Store but I can't stand not having a book cover so I'm archiving it under this edition).

Almuric is about a character, the Earthman Esau Cairn, and a setting that obviously didn't inspire Howard much, though the theme of "barbarism" being infinitely superior
Bookwraiths
A nice story that is reminiscient of Edgar Rice Burrough's Barsoom novels.

Esau Cairn, a man born out of his time on earth, seeks exile on another planet. Our hero finds himself among strange creatures, who force him to return to man's natural state of honorable barbarism. His journey across this alien world leads him to the walled town of huge apelike men, who are noble barbarians speaking a strange language that resembles english and are surrounded by their females - who bear a striking rese
Elijah Spector
The villains of this book, the Yagas, live "in the grim city of Yugga, on the rock Yuthla, by the river Yogh, in the land of Yagg." How can you not love that? That this is repeated at least five times throughout the novel, is wonderful.

I didn't actually read this, per se. My girlfriend read it to me while I was recovering from surgery, but I think that still merits a review.

When you come right down to it, I think I prefer Howard's short stories to this, the first novel of his that I've come acro
Graham
This lively sci-fi offering from Robert E. Howard is one of the few novel-length works he wrote – I can only think of the single Conan feature-length adventure being comparable to the length of this story. As a stand-alone adventure, it’s a decent piece of writing, absolutely jam-packed with the kind of thrilling adventure and chaotic battle scenes that Howard made his own.

The prose is simple and evocative, the descriptions of the alien planet fully engaging. It’s clear that the books of Edgar
Frankie Roxx
Ahhh Almuric. As far as I know this is the only full length novel of Howard's that off the top of my head I can think of. While in general I prefer his short stories as the compacted space seemed to better fit his unique style Almuric is by no means a bad book. Quite the opposite in fact. While it's pretty clear that Howard was (heavily) inspired by Burroughs EXCELLENT Barsoom books he does manage to add his own unique style and twist. Enough so that the book holds up as a solidly entertaining r ...more
Jim
A stand alone book, it's pretty typical of his writing. He uses a lot from ERB in this.
Kereesa
Apr 17, 2013 Kereesa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Robert E. Howard or, though I have not read it, The Mars Trilogy
Recommended to Kereesa by: Nicholas Cyr
Pre-Review: Started reading this while waiting for Nic to get his hair cut. Still thinking about it now. MUST FINISH BOOK. Urg, Howard, how do you do this to me? I just love your words.

As my pre-review states, I started this book on a whim. It was hot, I was bored, and I had forgotten to bring a book with me.

Yes, yes. Don't worry it won't happen again.

*Ahem* Back to the point....

Anyway, I started reading it because

A: I love Howard

And that's probably the only reason I ever need for anything.

B
Chris
Pretty standard sword-and-planet fare from the creator of Conan. Esau Cairn, on the run for accidentally killing a man, jumps through some Science! device, landing on the planet Almuric. There, he has monsters to kill, barbarians to impress, and a princess to win. When she's captured by the planet's rulers, a foul race of winged humanoids, you know Cairn isn't going to stand for that.

Almuric had a very sketchy history, an unfinished novel draft published after Howard's death, and there's a lot o
Henry Avila
Esau Cairn has a rather nebulous background, working as an enforcer for a criminal boss. When he kills his employer in self defense or was it murder,is he a hood or a good guy?Cairn goes on the lam and befriends Professor Hilderbrand.Who has just invented a device that can transport humans to an unknown planet, in a distant solar system.The scientist calls it Almuric,he asks Escau if he wants to go there?What has the fugitive got to lose.(Hilderbrand isn't risking his own neck)After warning the ...more
Joshua Simon

I hate giving REH such a low rating as he is one of my favorite writers and there were flashes of potential in Almuric. However, this just isn't on the same level as Conan, Solomon Kane, Kull, etc.

Like the Barsoom novels, Almuric suffered from too much telling and not enough showing, as well as a lack of characterization of the non-POV characters. It also seemed like REH tried to throw in too many bad guys/monsters/etc. rather than focusing on one solid story arc. As a result, the pacing was off
Charles
This was Howard's entry into the Sword and Planet field established by Burroughs with his John Carter books. Howard puts his own unique spin on the subgenre. However, there's pretty good evidence that Howard didn't actually write the last chapter and there is some mystery as to who completed the novel.

There are several editions of this novel available, including a hardback version.
Derek
I really, really, really wanted this book, but in hindsight somewhat regret paying full price.

This is the story you'd get if you were to somehow mix H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Rice Burroughs; a falling civilization on a primal world, with dark menaces just out of the torchlight.

The casual racism and chauvanism were disconcerting.
George
Μετά από πολλούς μήνες ξαναδιαβάζω ιστορία του αγαπημένου Ρόμπερτ Χάουαρντ, τον οποίο έχω εντελώς παραμελήσει φέτος για κάποιον ανεξήγητο λόγο. Διάλεξα να πάρω μαζί στις διακοπές μου το μικρό αυτό βιβλιαράκι, το οποίο έφυγε σε τρεις ώρες μέσα στο μεσημέρι. Γι'άλλη μια φορά απόλαυσα μια απόλυτα περιπετειώδη και αιματοβαμμένη ιστορία γεμάτη με σκληρές μάχες, επικίνδυνα πλάσματα και διαβολικούς ανθρώπους.

Ο Γήινος Ήσο Καίρν μεταφέρεται στον πλανήτη Άλμουρικ και εκεί θα συναντήσει πολλά άγρια πλάσμα
Ralph L Angelo Jr.
This book surprised me. Being a huge 'Conan' fan I wanted to try something else written by Robert E. Howard, and was recommended by a friend to read "Almuric" The story takes place on a world many light years from earth. The protaganist is transported there and immediately does battle with an alien who, for the first time in Esau Cairn's life is more then a match for him in strength. He still defeats the man (Who seems more like a hairy ape then a true human) Thus begins Esau's life upon Almuric ...more
Samuel Valentino
First off, I should say this was entertaining enough to read, if you like the genre. That being said, I found it to be a rehash of the first three Barsoom books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Esau Cairn (the main character) is Burroughs' John Carter; the Guras are like the Tharks; the Yagas, the First Born; the list could go on and on, being both numerous and obvious to readers of both books.

The main reason I point this out is that Howard is much more creative in his Conan stories. His created world i
Nathan Shumate
Not the best of Robert E. Howard's work, but arguably the most purely Howardesque: A manly hero who embodies the virtues of an earlier age thrust into an alien world of bestial men, gorgeous women, and sinister demon creatures.
Ondřej Miňovský
Dec 04, 2012 Ondřej Miňovský rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Tato knížka mě moc bavila. Je velice svižná s dobře konstruovaným, nepolevujícím napětím, které vás nezačne po čase nudit jako v románech Dana Browna, zřejmě pro výrazně menší celkový počet stran (což by si DB měl konečně uvědomit). Je taky plná fantastických nápadů a dějových zvratů, ale mezi šustícími stránkami probleskují i filosofická moudra, která ovšem nepůsobí jako nenaplněné filozofické pokusy v moderní literatuře. R.E. Howard znovu dokazuje, že je opravdovým tvůrcem původních příběhů. P ...more
Apolinar Perdomo
Take one part of John Carter's tales, one part of Conan's, add just a pinch of Tarzan's, cook over a volcanic fire and serve sizzling hot, with a hefty tankard of ale within easy reach. There you have it, a simple recipe for an admittedly silly story, but one that made my blood run faster the more I read. This is not one of Robert E. Howard's best efforts, but even so, his fight scenes are epic. He tells it best in his own words: "No need for fiery oratory to tell the tale I had to tell. I told ...more
Michael
If you've read any of Robert E. Howard's sword-and-sorcery or horror stories but not Almuric, then probably the only thing that will be unfamiliar is the setting: not the Hyborian Age, nor Southern Gothic or Cthulhu mythos, but rather another planet, possibly in another dimension. Now, if that sounds like faint praise, or even criticism, it isn't meant to be: Howard was very, very good at what he did, and this is an excellent example of his work.

The people and places on Almuric are savage and ex
Mohammed
I think Howard did a great job with the story,the main character Esau Cairn, exploring the world,its people like you are suppose to in a Sword and Planet novel like this. It was very enjoyable to read the story in first person POV of Cairn, he was a larger than life hero that was more realist, less sentimental than the other famous heroes in this subgenre. He was no southern gentleman to say the least.

The only real flaw was there was not as much vivid action scenes as is expected from a story li
John
It was what it was. Not Howard's best by any stretch! If you want STRONG Howard...do Solomon Kane.
Markgroner
"I am certain that I could have torn out his biceps like rotten cloth, broken his spine across my knee, or caved in his breastbone with my clenched fist; and as for speed, the most finely trained Earth athlete would have seemed awkward and sluggish in comparison to the tigerish quickness lurking in my rippling sinews.

Yet for all that, I knew that I would be strained to the uttermost even to hold my own with the giant they called Ghor the Bear. He did, indeed, resemble a shaggy rusty-hued cave-be
Jordan
Howard’s take on the Sword and Planet genre is a short, but gripping read, filled with primal vitality. The main character, Esau Cairn, is an atavistic barbarian in the modern world transported to a far off, alien planet. Unlike similar characters like Conan and Kull, he is defined by rage and anger.

Also interesting, for the first time that I can recall, Howard writes using the first person. The tale is heavily indebted to Burroughs’ Mars tales, but it still has a brawling, lusty, savage life o
Petergiaquinta
Read more Robert E. Howard! Now!!!
Mutlu Cankay
Farklı bir gezegende geçen Barbar Conan gibi, büyü ve kılıç hayranlarına hitap edecektir.
bkwurm
Not as good as his Conan, Solomon Kane or Bran Mak Morn stories. Reads too much like Burroughs' Barsoom series with the protagonist being transported to another planet where he fights a winged race of black men who dominate the other races.
Aaron
A fairly short book, with less than 150 pages of story, this is standard Howard fare, with a mighty man using his strength and cunning to kill dark horrors from beyond imagination. And get the girl, that part was important, as well. The story was pretty good, good enough for me to knock most of it off in one day.
Morgan Chalfant
Definitely not without a John Carter feel, Howard eclipses Burroughs with his own (and only) interplanetary adventure following a misunderstood strong man named Esau Cairn who willingly steps into a teleporter and awakes on a strange planet named Almuric.
Aaron Meyer
My very first thoughts while reading this was, my how burroughesqe this book is. The story is slow paced throughout but has many points where the action is thick. Howard definitely tries to develop the world and give it some history which is nice.
Aaron Meyer
Robert E. Howard ...: June 2012 Group Read: Almuric 20 24 Jul 31, 2013 06:40PM
  • Masters Of The Pit Or Barbarians Of Mars (Michael Kane, Vol. 3)
  • Pirates of Venus (Venus, #1)
  • Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
  • Black God's Kiss
  • The Reavers of Skaith  (The Book of Skaith, #3)
  • Conan the Liberator (Book 14)
  • Darkness Weaves
  • Imaro
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1) The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3) Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2) The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane