Start by marking “This Side Of Magic (Keyholders, #1)” as Want to Read:
This Side Of Magic (Keyholders, #1)

This Side Of Magic (Keyholders #1)

The first in a series of light fantasy chapter books set in Morgantown, a town on the border between the real world and the magical world, by the authors of the Publishers Weekly bestselling BAILEY SCHOOL KIDS—a series of 50 books with more than 30 million copies sold!

“You are my chosen apprentices,” said Mr. Leery.

Penny and Luke aren’t sure they want to be apprentice

Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published April 28th 2009 by Starscape

To ask other readers questions about This Side Of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Side Of Magic

Tiffany
Jan 02, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This is a 5 star story for 7-10 year olds. It is exciting and adventurous. My daughter read it first and loved it. She couldn't put it down. I read it after. It is a cute and adventurous novel.
Faria.706
Dec 27, 2010 Faria.706 rated it really liked it
Shelves: seventh-grade
This book was great! A good story about magic and monsters, two little kids embark on a great journey as keyholders. But they just don't know it yet. Well, they're in for surprises...
Molly Westerman
A great beginning for a series of short novels for early-ish readers (more involved than the books labelled "readers" at libraries but far less complex and long than what I think of as "actual novels," these feel like parts of a book rather than complete and shapely installments).

Noah is wild for these stories, as he is about pretty much all things magic. He also laughs a lot at the little goofy moments. When we're reading one it's the big topic of mealtime conversation: what would he do if he w
Brenda
Sep 22, 2011 Brenda rated it liked it
From the author of The Bailey School Kids comes a series of books with a touch of magic. Luke and Penny are best friends living in a seamlessly ordinary town. Kindly Mr. Leery lives next door to them and has been a friend for a long time. He even sat with them when they were ill. When Mr. Leery has to leave town very suddenly, he asks the two friends to watch over his cat and in return gives them each a bracelet with a key charm. Mr. Leery cautions the children to wear it for protection. The sto ...more
Lee Födi
Jan 14, 2015 Lee Födi rated it really liked it
This is a great book for readers who are just entering the world of Chapter Books. The story has some strong characters and the plot moves at a brisk pace. The illustrations by Adam Stower are quite good and I especially love the two maps at the beginning that show the two sides—the magic world and the real world. This book also has many of the strong fantasy tropes that will help readers make connections to other fantasy stories.
Amy
Mar 08, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Genre: Modern day fantasy, early readers 7+
Cute story that has excitement and adventure and keeps the reader interested. The story is easy to read and has a good story line that has the reader wanting more and luckily there are more in the series. I think young readers will enjoy this series.
Emily
Jan 26, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
It was pretty good. I can understand why the kids sort of hesitated, like they didn't really want the monsters to be killed, but they wanted to stop them still. They hesitated and thought things over.
SmokeyPookie
Feb 14, 2011 SmokeyPookie rated it liked it
The kids liked this series at ages 6 and 8. I liked it a lot, but maybe more than they did because Caitlin and I met the author and have the whole set autographed by her. She was extremely nice.
Lea
Jun 08, 2015 Lea rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-age, magic
Now that Bruno is reading fluently enough to handle simple chapter books himself, he is eating up this Keyholder series.
Amy Nielsen
Good easy book for seven year olds. Maybe not for reading on their own but that's just a reading level thing.
Bailie Govek
Jan 22, 2015 Bailie Govek rated it liked it
When I read this first book, I felt that it was a little scary. I am older now, I think I will like book two because there is an elf on the cover.
Mandy
Apr 13, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a cute book setting up a new series. The introduction to the magical world in this one is enough to make me want to continue the series.
Nikki
Nov 29, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Gwen would have given it four stars. I took one away because it was awful to read aloud.
Bentley Altman
Bentley Altman rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2013
Moord Droom
Moord Droom rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2016
Debbie Dadey
Jan 02, 2013 Debbie Dadey rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Andi
Andi rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2011
Mrs. B.
Mrs. B. rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2010
Ann Rubino
Ann Rubino rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Austin
Austin rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Jude Nathan
Jude Nathan rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Gillie
Gillie rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Rav Punchibandage
Rav Punchibandage rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2013
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Debbie Dadey is the author and co-author of 162 books for children, including the Mermaid Tales series from Simon and Schuster and the beloved Adventures of The Bailey School Kids from Scholastic. Ms. Dadey is a former teacher and librarian. Please like her at Facebook.com/debbiedadey.
More about Debbie Dadey...

Keyholders (4 books)
  • The Other Side Of Magic (Keyholders, #2)
  • Inside The Magic (Keyholders, #3)
  • The Wrong Side Of Magic (Keyholders, #4)