This Side Of Magic (Keyholders, #1)

This Side Of Magic (Keyholders #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  14 reviews

The first in a series oflight fantasy chapter books set in Morgantown, a town on the border between the real world and the magical world, by the authors of the Publishers Weekly bestselling BAILEY SCHOOL KIDS—a series of 50 books with more than 30 million copies sold!

“You are my chosen apprentices,” said Mr. Leery.

Penny and Luke aren’t sure they want to be apprentice K

Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published April 28th 2009 by Starscape

Tiffany
This is a 5 star story for 7-10 year olds. It is exciting and adventurous. My daughter read it first and loved it. She couldn't put it down. I read it after. It is a cute and adventurous novel.
Faria.706
This book was great! A good story about magic and monsters, two little kids embark on a great journey as keyholders. But they just don't know it yet. Well, they're in for surprises...
Molly Westerman
A great beginning for a series of short novels for early-ish readers (more involved than the books labelled "readers" at libraries but far less complex and long than what I think of as "actual novels," these feel like parts of a book rather than complete and shapely installments).

Noah is wild for these stories, as he is about pretty much all things magic. He also laughs a lot at the little goofy moments. When we're reading one it's the big topic of mealtime conversation: what would he do if he w...more
Brenda
From the author of The Bailey School Kids comes a series of books with a touch of magic. Luke and Penny are best friends living in a seamlessly ordinary town. Kindly Mr. Leery lives next door to them and has been a friend for a long time. He even sat with them when they were ill. When Mr. Leery has to leave town very suddenly, he asks the two friends to watch over his cat and in return gives them each a bracelet with a key charm. Mr. Leery cautions the children to wear it for protection. The sto...more
Mandy
This is a cute book setting up a new series. The introduction to the magical world in this one is enough to make me want to continue the series.
Amy
Genre: Modern day fantasy, early readers 7+
Cute story that has excitement and adventure and keeps the reader interested. The story is easy to read and has a good story line that has the reader wanting more and luckily there are more in the series. I think young readers will enjoy this series.
Emily
It was pretty good. I can understand why the kids sort of hesitated, like they didn't really want the monsters to be killed, but they wanted to stop them still. They hesitated and thought things over.
SmokeyPookie
The kids liked this series at ages 6 and 8. I liked it a lot, but maybe more than they did because Caitlin and I met the author and have the whole set autographed by her. She was extremely nice.
Amy Nielsen (is going cerebral for 2014)
Good easy book for seven year olds. Maybe not for reading on their own but that's just a reading level thing.
Nikki
Gwen would have given it four stars. I took one away because it was awful to read aloud.
Kristy
It held my kids' interest and was a fun book to read aloud.
Barbara
My 10 year old son LOVED it.
Stef
I thought it was a cute read for 7-10 year olds that I read for a children's lit class.
Krista Wayment
Krista Wayment marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Kee
Kee is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Miranda RYan
Miranda RYan marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Holly
Holly added it
Jan 19, 2014
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Renee Rearden
Renee Rearden marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Jl
Jl added it
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Debbie Dadey is the author and co-author of 158 books for children, including the Mermaid Tales series from Simon and Schuster and the beloved Adventures of The Bailey School Kids from Scholastic. Ms. Dadey is a former teacher and librarian. Please like her at Facebook.com/debbiedadey.
More about Debbie Dadey...
Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1) Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp Leprechauns Don't Play Basketball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #4) Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12) Dracula Doesn't Drink Lemonade (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #16)