Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense

Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  34 reviews
An honest, perceptive discussion of children, education, and our common life as a nation by the bestselling author of Snow Falling on Cedars. A high school English teacher, Guterson and his wife educate their own children at home. “A literate primer for anyone who wants to know more about alternatives to the schools” (Kirkus Reviews). Index.
Published September 16th 1993 by Mariner Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Family Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Matters

Michael
The author of this book (most famously known for his novel Snow Falling on Cedars) was a high school English teacher in Washington state. He and his wife homeschooled their three children, which gives the author a unique perspective on the differences between formal school (in this case, public school) and homeschooling. For the most part, I agree with many of the author's conclusions: there is something tremendously industrial about how we educate our young people, which may have made sense for...more
Danielle
I couldn't put this book down! I read it over the course of two evenings. However, it was not what I expected at all by the title. Chad and I are in the researching and pondering stage of formally homeschooling our children. I thought it was a book about all the reasons it is great to home school. It is....kind of.

It is written by a Public High School English teacher, who home schools his children. He has perspectives from both worlds. His insights into public education ring true to my experienc...more
Gloria
While this book is somewhat outdated (published in 1992), it was a pleasant change of pace to read a homeschooling book put out by someone other than "typical" caricatured "religious right" homeschoolers we see.

I'm reading Guterson's book of short stories and noticed he'd written a book on homeschooling. I thought "Huh...?" Writer, public high school English teacher AND homeschooler? So, I bit.

Again, much of the information is a little outdated, and homeschooling seems more widely accepted now...more
Austen to Zafón
Guterson (best known for his historical novel, "Snow Falling On Cedars") is a public high school teacher who, with his wife, taught his own kids at home. His book isn't about how to homeschool; rather, it's a look at the reasons, both historical and practical, to do so. While he addresses some common concerns like "What about socialization?" (although that's a rather dated question now), he focuses more on what homeschooling means for us as a society and how we got to this place where so many pe...more
Maggie
This book may be 20 years old, but it's the most refreshing & inspiring message on homeschooling that I've read to date. Every other book I've tried to read, I couldn't finish.
Jessica
David Guterson has thought much harder about his reasons for homeschooling than I have. Or at least he has researched it more. I have given it a great deal of emotional thought, but not taken to the books in the same way that he has. Some of the issues he raises are completely unimportant to me;like the idea that taking my children out of public school is somehow undemocratic. This is not his own opinion, rather an accusation he has run into from critics.

Something i did feel helpful was his han...more
Rosa
I was one of those parents that always believed we would send our kids to public schools. Heck! I went to public school!

Public school as, "The Great Democratizer". It stood for everything I believed in, or so I thought.

Then, the inevitable happened; I started to research all possible educational choices. See, I had taken so many child development and psychology courses while in college and read so many books and research articles that I began having serious problems with the idea. As my eldest...more
Janie
A homeschooling book written by a public school educator. He teaches high school English at Bainbridge High and homeschools his children. A friend recommended this one.

I loved what he had to say in the introduction. What he came to in the conclusion seemed like it was written by a different man entirely.

I like that he didn't have too many prescriptions about doing (home)school. I resonate with his experience as a classroom teacher (though I'm befuddled by his unexplained, passionless decision t...more
Annagrace K.
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't always find it the easiest book to read (the author's style is pretty dense sometimes) but I think it offers a great overview of educational philosophies and our American school structure. I really appreciated reading a book on educating at home that is NOT from a religious or isolationist viewpoint (so refreshing!) and that is grounded in love for community and supportive of the institutions that have made us great. In other words, this is not a book of fear...more
Scott
'Family Matters' offers a cogent look at the practice of homeschooling and, more broadly, the crucial role of parents and families in the education of young Americans. While David Guterson educates his three boys at home, he is not intent on championing homeschooling here so much as explaining the underlying rationale for it. Guterson himself teaches English at a public high school and acknowledges that homeschooling is not for everybody. But, he says, there are strong academic, social, and poli...more
Jen Madsen
I ultimately chose public schooling for my children--then later placed them in a charter school before becoming a public school teacher myself. You may say I'm a bit conflicted when it comes to the politics of education. Or, to spin it in another direction--I'm very broadminded. This book on homeschooling gives the simplest, most human argument for homeschooling I found. Guterson's reasons are not fear-based but spring from the natural relationship between a parent and child. Thinking about it n...more
Tamara
"The doctrine of school's neccessity, which we early imbibe in the very belly of the beast, is inevitably supplemented once we're disgorged." I just love Guterson's writing style. I really enjoyed this book because, besides referencing much of the early homeschool movement/theory, it also paves the way for public school reform. It is not one of those super conservative, government is evil, schools should be abolished looks at education. Rather, it is a frank and, I feel, fair observation of wher...more
Elizabeth
Jun 04, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homeschoolers and educators
Shelves: my-books-read
I loved reading this book. It was packed with the history on the homeschooling movement, history of legal cases and information on methods, education philosophers and the authors own personal experiences as a school teacher and homeschooler to his three children. Although I didn't agree with every thing he said he did bring up some though provoking points. I learned a lot from reading this book, especially the history of education. I would buy this book to keep on hand and use as a reference.
Lisa
I picked this book up at Healthy Kids. This author is a high school english teacher, but also homeschools his own kids together with his wife. After reading it I feel more intrigued and I want to ask people I know why they homeschool. Like everything in life, there are pros and cons to both. I don't know if I could do it or not, but I know Julia would get a better education at home. You just can top one-on-one instruction. I just wonder about all the rest she'd miss out on. =)
Julie Clark
I randomly picked this book up off of the library shelf on my way out of the homeschool section one day. I am so glad that I did. What a thoughtful way with words this man has. The author was a public school teacher who chose (along with his wife) to homeschool his children. THIS REVIEW on Amazon does a fabulous job of summing up this book. I have purchased a copy of this one to keep. He articulates the case for homeschooling in a way I have not read anywhere else.
Tori
Guterson makes a compelling case for homeschooling. As a teacher, himself, his Gatto-speak resonates deeply with me and probably with anyone who has lived inside the institution. His style is much more academic than Gatto, but he touches on many similar points. Why do we separate ourselves from our children? How are we to learn from them if we shut them away as we do our old people? Very interesting book.
Tracy
I thought this book was well written. I appreciated it especially because Guterson's style of reasoning through the pros and cons of homeschooling are similar to my own. I didn't rate the book higher because as a Christian I felt the book missed the mark as to why we as parents pour ourselves into our children and why we believe parents are the best teachers.
Martha
It's interesting, in a way, but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you want an exhaustive review of education in general, homeschool specifically, legal principles, etc, etc, ad nauseum sometimes. It is interesting if you want a lot of theory, but not very practical for "how to do it." So
The Complete Guide to Homeschooling by the Perrys, instead!!
Candy
Great book written by the author of Snow Falling on Cedars. He is a high school English teacher and he and his wife homeschool their children. Some great ideas about community learning and ways to give support and resources to moms of underprivileged preschoolers, rather than ripping those kids out of their homes at earlier and earlier ages.
Julie
This is an introspective look at parenting and education- not necessarily homeschooling. It is written by a HS teacher who also homeschools his four children. It is an inspiring and interesting read and recommended for anyone considering homeschooling or who is just interested in the history of American education.
Kate
I was interested in this because I'm curious to hear why people believe homeschooling is a good idea, since I don't, particularly. It turned out to be a very evenhanded, apolitical discussion of the subject. Still don't agree, but I have a better understanding of at least one family's reasons.
JP
Guterson adds meaningful perspective to the homeschool concept. A teacher himself, he understands both perspectives. His analysis is meaningful and very understandable. He emphasizes several key contextual points, especially that, despite the aspiration, public education is in no way democratic.
Elizabeth
Nov 07, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people thinking about homeschooling, people interested in the public school/homeschool debate
Shelves: homeschooling
I enjoyed this book immensely, as it's a look at a public school teacher who homeschools his own kids. He makes the case for homeschooling even while making the case for being a good public school teacher. I liked David Guterson's writing long before he became a big-name novelist!
Jan Zeiger
This book is written by a public school teacher who chose to homeschool his own children. Before reading this book, I was considering home-based education for my son. This book helped me see other benefits to homeschooling that I was not aware of at the time.
Michael Fitzgerald
A lot of history that helps to make the case, but it avoids some of the larger issues.
Bookwyrmgyrl
This was one of the first books I read on homeschooling and it was fabulous. Written by a public school teacher who chose to concurrently homeschool his children - very logical and straightforeward.
Aubrey
A fun book, He is a well known author (Snow falling on Cedars) and a high school English teacher, this book explains why he and his wife chose to Homeschool. Well written and informative.
Michelle
This book changed my life!!!! I couldn't put it down, it all made such perfect sense, and has since been my primer for all these homeschooling years!
Suzanne
Dec 23, 2008 Suzanne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any home-schooling family
Michelle
Lots of food for thought on the history of education in America and why home educating is more than just an educational choice some families make.
  • Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book Of Homeschooling
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • Homeschooling for Excellence
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling
  • For the Children's Sake
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • Leadership Education: The Phases of Learning
David Guterson is an American novelist, short story writer, poet, journalist, and essayist.

He is best known as the author of the novel Snow Falling on Cedars (1994), which won the 1995 PEN/Faulkner Award. To date it has sold nearly four million copies. It was adapted for a 1999 film of the same title, directed by Scott Hicks and starring Ethan Hawke. The film received an Academy Award nomination f...more
More about David Guterson...
Snow Falling on Cedars East of the Mountains The Other Snow Falling On Cedars / East Of The Mountains Our Lady Of The Forest