Start by marking “Tucker” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,248 ratings  ·  42 reviews
“If a man won’t fight for what is rightly his, then he ain’t much account.” With this challenge from his dying father, young Shell Tucker rode out after three men who had stolen the twenty thousand dollars his father was carrying. Two of the men he hunted, Doc Sites and Kid Reese, were his friends. Dreaming of adventure, Tucker had wanted to join their gang. But now, with ...more
Published November 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published October 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Tucker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tucker

Gloria
I had to add this one simply because it was the first Louis L'Amour ever placed in my hands-- thanks to my big brother. Thanks, Tim -- you created an addict. :)
Cora
The seventeen year old protagonist of this novel promises to recover money taken from him and his father, and he endures beating, shooting, thirst, and personal doubt to become a young man with a "good name" that precedes him across the West. He learns the difference in foolish trust and faith in humanity.

His fresh approach and desire to become better is charming while the author inserts through the first person narrative some character lessons such as,". . . the element that makes a man a thie
Andrew
I thought this was going to be in my top five LL books all the way up until the very end. His publisher must have been pressuring him to turn in the manuscript the next day because the ending had an artificial cobbled-together feeling that somewhat reduced the accolades I was thinking the book deserved.
The main character is Tucker and the storyline is his adventure chasing down the villains who stole his father's money. All kinds of interesting fortunes and misfortunes befall him on the road and
Richard Hartline
The book was contrived to say the least. Shell Tucker starts from a shavetail to a noted gunfighter on a mission to recapture cattle drive money stolen from him by a notorious outlaw. Almost everyone he meets from Texas to Colorado to LA, knows of him before he even arrives. All the dialogue sounds like a typical New Englander's idea of how a cowboy talks and behaves. The book just doesn't pass the believable test and was pretty much a waste of time.
Cate
This is a great coming-of-age story, in which a teenager full of energy and anger learns to be cautious about who his friends are, to take care with his reputation, and grows to understand how important it is to do what you're trusted to do. The story also makes a lot of references to contributing back to society, and doing something that will be worth remembering.

I'd give this story 3.5 stars. At points, it grew to be a little repetitive and hard to believe (running into the same people in ever
Wayne Hastings
I'm a bonafide L'Amour fan, but this book was not his best work in my opinion. The plot dragged on and on. I found his history, especially of Los Angeles, to be well researched as always. His descriptions accurate and made me feel as though I was there. However, the story seemed stretched and tedious. Any other author and I would have put this book down. Sorry Louis.
Spencer
It was a pretty quick read (two nights). Great names. Not too graphic like Louis usually does. Good story line with a good but predictable ending.
Denise
I love Louis L'Amour westerns! This story was similar in some respects to others I've read but I still enjoyed it. Westerns, in the hands of a good writer like L'Amour, express a love of nature, a sense of good moral values, and a love of travel. This story involves Shel Tucker, a young man who must face a lot of serious problems to regain his neighbors' earnings from a cattle drive.
Aug 27, 2011 Tucker added it
Shelves: finished
My cousin suggested I read this eponymous book. As my second Western ever, it made a bit more sense than my first. I got the gist of it: Man hoards cash as a favor for his neighbors--after all, banks are frequently robbed. When cash is stolen by juvenile delinquents, man must be willing to die in the attempt to retrieve it, as a matter of honor. If someone leaves you wounded and without a horse in the desert, you will probably die. The sheriff secretly wants you to off the bad guys, but don't do ...more
Shawn Strope
This was a good book. It never had a dull point. I wish there were more good books out there like this book. Louis L'Amour is one of the best western writers out there. i believe everyone should read his books. They are so interesting. In this book there were three gunslingers who stole the gold and left this boys father to die. "At the beginning shell tucker was a boy at the end he was a man". This was by far one of the greatest books Louis L'Amour has ever written.
Jason
Louis L'Amour
Tucker Galloway
this book has a personal meaning to me, not only because i was named after it but because i have come to enjoy it eminsly. my father gave me this book to read one day and told me my name sake. and i found that i am glad and proud to have been named after this book. And i thank Louis (even if he is dead) for writing it, because if he didnt i would be a diffrent person today.
Stephanie Ricker
I am (and will be, for months) working through the ludicrous number of books I bought at the library sale. I breezed through Tucker by Louis L’Amour, which was solidly enjoyable but nothing I haven’t said about L’Amour before. I find the occasional piece of genre fiction very therapeutic, and everyone loves a good Western.
Josh Ellis
Aug 24, 2008 Josh Ellis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody who enjoys a good western
Recommended to Josh by: I just decided to read it
I really liked this book... its the second book that I have read by Louis L'amour... I learned from this book that you should always try to have a goal in life... somthing that I liked about the main charecter was that he never gave up, he kept going no matter what, ive always tried to finish things that start...
Fredrick Danysh
Young Shell Tucker hunts for the three men who rob his father of $20,000 that he is carrying the sale of a trail herd. Two of the thieves were supposed to be Shell's friends. As he attempts to recover the money needed by the folks back, Shell grows up.
Jeff Anderson
For some reason whenever I am feeling down a good Louis L'Amour book really makes me want to work hard and leaves me feeling pretty darn good. This one shows the benefit of facing right up to one's mistakes and never giving up. Couldn't put it down.
Tom Hames
I enjoyed reading about the main character and how he changed from being a scared boy into a self confident man, but I was disappointed in the way the book suddenly ended. It was almost like the author got tired of writing and just decided to wrap it up.
Dale Rosso
Jan 05, 2014 Dale Rosso rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all ages
Shelves: western
My 3rd favorite of L'Amour's books.
Mary
I just love the good cowboys that get the bad guys! This is the story of a 17-year old cowboy who takes a long journey to retrieve something that was taken from him and in that journey he turns into a man. A great read!
Rae
An enjoyable coming-of-age western. A young boy seeks revenge/justice on the men who killed his father and stole his money. At some point he has to decide if a revengeful heart is worth the grief it brings. Fun stuff.
John K
Aug 13, 2009 John K added it
Another very good book by Louis L'Amour, about a boy who becomes a man when he and his pa are robbed and pa dies. He learns the value of keeping promises, no matter how hard it is or how long it takes.
Sharon
For some reason, his books named for a single character are some of my favorites. Young man falls in with a bad crowd who subsequently turn on him. Then he seeks vengeance. What more can you ask for?
Rich Tijerina
It was fast and clean except for the fact that every girl 'never wasted a movement' you'd think he'd describe the girls a little differently.
But my first western and im in love with it
Mahesh Nayak
"This novel beautifully shows the transformation from a teenage lad to a well refined man and his courage in facing impossible odds to recover the money stolen from his father. "
Jan
I love Louis L'Amour. I have reed all of his books that I could find -- more than 100 of them. This is the 7th time that I have read this one since 1996 when I first bought it. ...more
Peter
Always a good, let your mind wonder read. L'Amour gets a bit formulate, the heroes are always the the best at what they do, it is still fun to get lost in a western.
David
Jessica Wilson
I love stories of unspoken heroes. This is a wonderful story told by a great storyteller. I just wish someone would turn it into a western movie.
Sarah Sammis
While Tucker had some interesting scenes, I found the endless chase repetitive and the ending unsatisfying.
Sashalai
This is another book that a teacher read to me in grade school and I have remembered it ever since
  • The Man of the Forest
  • Hombre
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Sons of Texas
  • The Untamed
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • The Shootist
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
  • Carry the Wind
  • The Searchers
  • By Pike And Dyke: A Tale Of The Rise Of The Dutch Republic
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed Hondo The Walking Drum Sackett's Land The Lonesome Gods

“We will always have Reeses and Heseltines, and they will always seem big and brave to growing boys. They swagger and make loud noises in their own little circle, but they are only the coyotes that yap around the heels of the herd."
'Remember this, Shell, the coyotes aren't going anywhere, but the herd is, and so are the men who drive the herd.”
0 likes