Start by marking “Only One Woof” as Want to Read:
Only One Woof

Only One Woof

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  714 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
"One nice thing about a country vet is that there are so many interesting things to see when I visit the farms..."

The captivating story told within these pages is certainly one of the most entertaining that this vet has ever encountered. Gyp is the sweet but silent sheepdog who is separated from his favorite puppy playmate at a young age. The two are reunited later-with a
Published March 15th 1993 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 23rd 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Only One Woof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only One Woof

Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Top Dog Reads
36th out of 362 books — 520 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
132nd out of 1,027 books — 1,363 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenne
Mar 29, 2012 Jenne rated it really liked it
Being a dog lover from a very young age, it is no surprise that my parents bought me this book when I was a child. Perhaps they thought to appease the longing for a pet that didn't live in a cage with books. As it was any book that was about dogs I devoured from Lassie to the Hundred and One Dalmatians. I recently read and passed on the book to my daughter (not that she really understands it yet being only 15 weeks!) in hopes that she will develop a similar love for reading (she already likes do ...more
Becky
Apr 15, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children/Children at Heart
Shelves: children-s-books
This is an absolutely charming little book. It's the story of two young pups from the same litter, growing up together on a small farm. At a still relatively early age they are separated and the story follows the life of the dog who stays at home and lives on at the farm where he was born. It ends with a reunion with his brother.

For a short and heartwarming tale, pick this one up for 10 minutes of fantastic art and an uplifting storyline.
Natasha
Oct 17, 2012 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Being a veterinarian leads to some very interesting tales to tell. This would be one of them. Only One Woof highlights how even after years, puppies can still recognise old friends. It's a heartwarming story that Gyp would emit only one bark in his entire life, and seeing Sweep was what caused it. It makes you smile and chuckle by the time your reach the last page and wonder about the strange things these animals do.
Emma Filbrun
Oct 27, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it it was amazing
Only One Woof is another absolutely delightful picture book set in the Yorkshire countryside that James Herriot knew so well. The gorgeous colorful paintings by Peter Barrett bring the story to life. In this tale, the vet goes to Mr Wilkins’ farm and sees two sheepdog puppies playing with each other and herding the ducklings, much to their mother’s dismay.

Read my full review here.

Donna McKereghan
Okay, it was only 32 pages, but I've had it in the stack to read for over a year! Pretty good story and now that I've read it, I find it interesting that it took me this long - since I just got a dog who seldom barks, just about a year ago, too! Good story for small kids - and big ones, too!
Judy
Jan 23, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
If a child is interested in being a veterinarian or learning more about vets, this is a gentle read and a nice intro to the writings of Herriot. Art that begs the eye to linger.
Andrea
Sep 23, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this book as a child. The illustrations are beautiful, and it is a charming story. I think animal-loving kids will enjoy this one.
Mary
Apr 12, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Hi Sweet Friends,

If you love dogs, this will be the sweetest story you ever read.

Love, Mary
Shannon
Mar 22, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, james-herriot
Back Cover:
"One nice thing about being a country vet is that there are so many interesting things to see when I visit the farms..." The captivating story told within these pages is certainly one of the most entertaining that this vet has ever encountered.

Gyp is the sweet but silent sheepdog who is separated from his favorite puppy playmate at a young age. The two are reunited later -- with a surprising response from Gyp.

Accompanied by the delightful artwork o Peter Barrett, James Herriot's "O
Tara Calaby
Sep 29, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
The James Herriot stories often lend themselves well to picture books... but often very sad ones!
Maxwell
Feb 05, 2014 Maxwell rated it really liked it
lovely audiobook...read this to Brady and Max. They liked it even though the audio book is much better than my style of narration.
Lesley
May 18, 2015 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Another delightful story, and beautifully illustrated.
Peter B Creedon
Sep 17, 2014 Peter B Creedon rated it really liked it
I received this book as a child. The story is great.
Matthew
Aug 08, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like James Herriot's collections of stories better than I liked this, but as this is a picture book I have to say I enjoyed it a great deal. The story of a dog who only barks once in his entire life is entirely familiar to me since I've lived with a dog like that, and he's right. When you hear a dog like that bark, everyone does stop and take notice. You want to know what was worth barking at. This was a fun story and an excellent example of a James Herriot story collection.
Bridget
Oct 29, 2012 Bridget rated it it was amazing
I recently listened to a collection of James Herriot's short stories in audiobook form, read by Jim Dale. THEY ARE THE BEST. And it just reminded me how very much I loved this particular story. YAY DOGGY BROTHERS.
Natalie
Aug 01, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's a wonderful story with great pictures. I loved it as a child and still have the book which every so often I re-read through just because it's so charming and holds lovely memories.
Jenny
Aug 19, 2010 Jenny rated it it was ok
Though I adore James Herriot, this is a poorly designed picture book. There is way too much text per page, and it doesn't hold a child's interest.
Blair
Jul 29, 2008 Blair rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children, mothers, border collie lovers
One of my favorites from childhood, and the reason I adore border collies. A must have for kids (and anything else by James Herriot).
Lynn
Jan 29, 2010 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers, young children
Shelves: childrens
I practically grew up on this book and a few others. I thought the story was pretty sad. My first few glimpses into the life of dogs.
Amy
Dec 09, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
My grandma bought me many of his books when I was young. I still have them, so that I can give them to my children some day.
Valerie
This is in one of Herriot's larger collections, but he said it proved so popular that he issued it as a separate book.
Bree
Apr 24, 2012 Bree rated it it was amazing
Notes:
Herriot books for kids are always a favorite
rather long, best for age 5+
beautiful illustrations
Alice Hambright
Nov 05, 2009 Alice Hambright rated it it was amazing
Most excellent book! I know it is a children's picture book, but I really enjoyed reading this one.
Sonja
Dec 28, 2010 Sonja rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books! It is just a very heart warming story!
Candace
Aug 26, 2013 Candace rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a kid, i recommend it as a great family read.
Shannon
May 10, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 1990
"Shannon 11-7-90." DEAR JAMES HERRIOT, WHY ARE YOU SO SAD ALWAYS?
Chrisl
Oct 08, 2014 Chrisl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid, britain, 1980s, animals
My favorite of the Herriot stories for children.
Beka
Dec 30, 2012 Beka rated it liked it
Another silly little kid's story with sweet illustrations.
  • Koko's Kitten
  • Our First Pony
  • Stormy
  • Living Free, Abridged Edition (A Sequel to Born Free)
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • Just Like Heaven
  • Abe Lincoln's Hat
  • Toot & Puddle: Charming Opal
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • Kavik the Wolf Dog
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...