Start by marking “On the Edge (The Edge, #1)” as Want to Read:
On the Edge (The Edge, #1)

On the Edge (The Edge #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  25,959 Ratings  ·  1,917 Reviews
Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between the world of the Broken (where people drive cars, shop at Wal-Mart, and magic is a fairy tale) and the Weird (where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny). Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel from one world to the next, but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thoug
Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Published October 2009 by Ace (first published September 29th 2009)

Kat Kennedy
Jan 08, 2014 Kat Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All my peeps
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Sharon
Do you guys remember that scene out of Beauty and the Beast when the Beast asks Cogsworth and Lumiere what present he could get for Belle?

Then Cogsworth says:

"Oh, the usual: Chocolates, gifts, promises you don't intend to keep..."

Then Cogsworth and Lumiere make out and the Beast starts feeling really awkward?

cogsworth
Somehow I just KNEW you could find kinky cogsworth shit on the internet if you just looked hard enough!

Well, sometimes reading UF/PNR is a little bit like that. Most authors think they can
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy reread with the Awesome IA Army Of Utter Awesomeness (aka the eye candy IA Addicts) starting Jan 19, 2016.

» And the moral of this reread is: why do I even bother reading books NOT written by Ilona Andrews? WHY? Because I'm an idiot, that's why.
» And the other moral of this reread is: if I hadn't already sold my soul to the Andrews, I would do it again. Hey, maybe I could sell them a few body parts, I'm pretty sure they'd like that.
» And the other, other moral of this reread is: Ilona Andr
Anne
Sep 08, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
If I were the kind of person who DNFs books rather easily, and If I hadn't been a huge fan of the Andrews' Kate Daniels series, I would have given up on this one after Declan showed up.
He kind of pops up on her property and threatens to steal her away to be his woman.
For me to even attempt to like a story with forced marriage (or whatever he had in mind), it has to be set waaaaaaaaaay back in medieval times. But since I trusted the authors, I decided to keep reading.
And I'm glad I did.
Don't
Robin (Bridge Four)
Feb 08, 2016 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fan's of Ilona Andrews and UF and PRN
Yes, I am reading this again....Yes, I just read this like 6 months ago....No, I am not sorry half star bump up to a solid 4 stars.

How do you make a book you enjoyed the first time you read it even better?

Easy, find a group of friends to read it with all over again. Thanks to my fellow IA lovers I'd include all your names in this review but there were about 20 of us at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) for making this one of my funnest rereads of a book (The other being Burn For Me)I have had to date.
Navessa
*TRIGGER WARNING: THERE IS A LOT OF DISCUSSION ABOUT RAPE CULTURE IN THE COMMENT SECTION OF THIS REVIEW*

DNF @ 70%

I just can't be arsed. Life is too short to continue to read a book I don't like.

Bullet list of complaints:
- Rape culture
- A misogynistic pseudo-alpha douche of a male lead
- A spineless doormat of a female lead
- A complete lack of believable chemistry between them
- Rape culture
- Shoddy world building
- The aggressive reinforcement of traditional gender roles
- The devaluing of a woman
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Re-read with the awesome gang in IAA group.

Wanna know the good thing in having a very, very bad memory? Every time you re-read a book is like reading it for the first time. I loved this book and I remembered so little of it that it was like I was reading it for the first time.

***********************************************

Oh my god! I have to say a huge THANK YOU I.A.

This book was awesome. I wanted more of it. Usually I'm anxious to see how a story ends but this time I just wanted it to keep goi
Angela
Feb 02, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2016 January Re-read: Buddy read with IAA.

When I first read this book, it was my very first foray into Ilona Andrews' work. I loved it, dearly, but I did have issues with it - some that I was reminded of on this re-read. Does Declan have a reason for his actions? Sure. But they still suck. Does he make it right in the end? Yup. But some of the things said prior to then, I'm left wondering if they were part of the 'act' or just his real thoughts. I still dunno. I like Declan. I love Rose. And Geo
Choko
Jan 21, 2016 Choko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.40 ***

A buddy read with my friends at the Ilona Andrews Addicts

I have come to realize that I take IA's writing for granted. It happens like that. You read enough works from a favorite author and you develop an expectation, a knowledge that once you delve into the pages of their books, nothing could possibly go wrong.

It had been a while since I read a work by the Gordons and I had forgotten about the pure, natural immersion in the world of magic they allow their readers. You are 20% in and
Felicia
Dec 30, 2013 Felicia rated it really liked it
I love this author, and for me this was a 4 star UF and a 5 star romance. WAY MORE ROMANCEY than the Kate Daniels, which is cool, just know that going in (but with the crazy-model-photoshop man on the cover, how could you NOT know that? And BTW, guys in real life look terrible with that haircut.)

Get past the slightly confusing first chapter and this book is really great, when you get the "deal" with the world it gets better and better, like a stone rolling downhill. I stayed up way too late to
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Ilona Andrews (writing team of Ilona and Gordon) caught and kept my interest when I read Magic Bites. I liked the distinctive voice I saw in that story, one that has stayed true in the subsequent stories that I have read by this team. With On the Edge, they have continued that excellence, providing me with a novel that is multi-faceted, genre-wise and story-wise.

Although I grew up in the Midwest, my roots are Southern, and I do appreciate books set in the South that show the real ways of Southe
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
Buddy Read with the fabulous Ilona Andrews Addicts Group!

Discussion Thread

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

When a group of friends on Goodreads decided to read this book together, I knew that I had to join in on the fun. I am a huge fan of Ilona Andrews. I read this book a couple of years ago and enjoyed but but for some reason never picked up the rest of the books in the series. This seemed like a perfect opportunity to refresh my memory of this book and jump into t
The Holy Terror
May 07, 2016 The Holy Terror rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people looking for something different and not the normal PNR
Honestly, this book probably has one of the most unique worlds I've come across in a long time. The character development is fantastic and the way the point of views shift really adds something to the overall story. I enjoyed this book a lot more than Magic Bites and I'm definitely going to continue with this series!

Rose was stubborn and ornery most of the book but for once she's a character that has legitimate reasons. Declan is a fascinating character with more sides to him than first appear.
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
Dear God, please protect me from the wrath of the Ilona Andrews fans who might read this review. I'm sure I just read it wrong. Hey, I'm a huge fan! But this book did not work for me. I wanted to love it. I just could not connect with Rose or Declan. Their romance was INSUFFERABLE. Horrible. I disliked them both. I get the motivation for why Rose acted like she did toward him, but that didn't make it any easier to read.

It takes "slow burn" romance to another level entirely. Like glacial melt rom
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
"Go brush your teeth, comb your hair, put on dry clothes, and get the guns. We're going to Wal-Mart.”

After living the Kate Daniels series (of course), being charmed by the Innkeeper series, and falling head over heels for Burn for Me, I was in a mood for another Ilona Andrews series. Unfortunately On the Edge didn't win as much loyalty.

Cue a unique magic world, which seems to the be the author's specialty - different areas of magic that shift if you leave them, and value measured by "white ligh
Liz* Fashionably Late
IA knows how to do it so one should wonder, why is it that I haven't read this series yet?

So, as a Kate Daniels fangirl, my brain was annoying me comparing the first books of both series (and just the first because nothing compares to KD awesomeness) and thinking:

When it comes to world building, Kate Daniels wins the prize.

But when it comes to characters and their dynamics, The Edge takes it home.

Oh, come on, don't gasp. Curran/Kate is awesome in the next installments but can we talk a minute
Lisa Kay
description
Wow! Adored this book! It grabbed me and wouldn’t let go. I am actually reading it for the second time. I mean in a row! Amazing. IA has created a captivating world here – well three, actually: The Broken, The Weird, and The Edge – as well as characters that leap off the page and into a delicious plot and back-story. I’ll admit I was confused at first; Urban Fantasy is not my strong suit. However, I have never had this kind of dilemma before: since I wanted some clarification, did I start o
Melanie
Buddy Read with Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)!

“You are the measure of my wrath.”

Okay, first I need to address the elephant in the room! I originally wanted to read these books, because while reading Sweep in Peace my friends kept telling me about the crossover of characters from this book. No big deal, I marked it in my notes and figured I'd read this series eventually. Then, at the perfect time Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) decided to do a buddy read! So I'm reading this, and completely loving it,
Erica Ravenclaw

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

I have something to admit. I have been refusing to read this book based on it's cover. I know I know, I mean look at all their covers... I know they still contain magic but this one, I just couldn't get past. Then all my friends started reading it and decided I'd take the jump too.

Then I loved it. I mean seriously, LOVED IT. A cat boy and another who raised his crazy dead grandpa who eats dog brains all before page five? A place called the Weird and the
AH
This was very different from the Kate Daniels series. Different in a good way. I love Ilona Andrews’ imaginative world building. The Edge is a world sandwiched between our world known as The Broken because no magic works and The Weird a place where the blueblood magical aristocrats live. The Weird is like a parallel universe to our world.

The people that inhabit The Edge are an eccentric collection of characters with some magical powers. The Edge is not the safest place to live and in this story
Athena Shardbearer
Buddy read Jan 12, 2015 with the lovely members of IAA

I LOVED IT!!!!!!
Angela
Re-read January 2015.

I'm reminded once again, as if I needed it, why I love Ilona Andrews.

Original review cross-posted from here. Buddy read with my friends at IAA.

The world here that Ilona Andrews created is a fascinating place. Not quite our world, not quite a fantasy world, it's vivid, captivating place filled with captivating characters. I was absolutely immersed in the Edge, and loved every moment that I spent there.

Rose was a fascinating character. She's had the rose-colored glasses, pard
Maria V. Snyder
Dec 15, 2013 Maria V. Snyder rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! The main character is my favorite type of character - a strong willed, stubborn, protective and smart lady named Rose, the main guy character is also my favorite - strong, silent, and a mystery. The fantasy world and magic system is very unique and utterly fascinating - I enjoyed every bit of this book. The beginning is a little heavy on the world building details and backstory - and it took me a while to get used to the reader since I had just listened to another audio book and it's ...more
Shandra
May 13, 2015 Shandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initial thoughts:

Dear Ilona Andrews,

Ahhhh photo: tumblr_l1tdkjgWLz1qza11zo1_400.gif

You've done it to me again. Review to come...but prepare yourselves for some serious fangirl gushing...

Review:

Actual rating: 4 I'm-A-Hopeless-Fangirl stars. No spoilers.

Where do I begin? How about here...

Fangirl photo: Fangirl time Fangirltime.gif

I'm warning you, this isn't the review for you if you're looking for in depth descriptions and a breakdown of the story (something most of my reviews lack anyhow as I tend to focus on how the book made me feel).

Fangirl photo: tumblr_m4pwzctySr1qekaat.gif

IA has the unique ability to weave a world p
The Flooze
**3.5**

On the Edge might be called a romance by some. I prefer to think of it as UF with a happy ending. For the most part, it lacks many of the trappings associated with romance. Instead it focuses on intricate world-building, strong characterization, and adrenaline highs--the hallmarks of any good urban fantasy.

That's not to say there isn't some steam, but the tension between Rose and Declan grows gradually. He wins her over bit by bit using bravado, kindness, cunning and consideration. He has
Alexa
Jan 14, 2015 Alexa rated it really liked it
Ilona Andrews never ceases to surprise me.

In this new world (or at least new for me! This is one of her old series) there's our normal (broken) world, and there's a magical version of it. And between then exists "The Edge" some sort of gateway, a place where there's magic, but not too much. People that live there or "Edgers" are born with a bit of magic, and are able to pass freely to the broken world, and if they have enough magic they can pass to the magic side as well.

The setting is pretty
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
This was a nice reading. I just don't know why I'm not giving 5 stars to this book, I really don't know. Maybe the lack of humorous moments, which I love, made me give 4 well-deserved stars.

Rose is a tormented girl, whose life hasn't been easy. She has to look after her 2 brothers, since their parents aren't there for them. I loved Georgie and Jack. We get to see them as grown-ups in another series. I wish I had read The Edge series first, so I would know more things about them.

Back to Rose. Ros
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
4,5 Jack and Georgie stars.
BR with the super awesome Ilona Andrews Addicts :D

There’s so much Ilona Andrews goodness in here that there’s only one possible explanation why I thought this book was “just ok” many years ago: TEMPORARY INSANITY.
---------------------------------------------
First thing I do when I’m about to start writing a review for a book I loved? I go over my highlights to figure out what I loved best and want to talk about.
How this process went this time around? I opened my Kind
MelissaB
Jul 27, 2015 MelissaB rated it really liked it
Recommended to MelissaB by: Alexis
The world in On the Edge consists of three separate sections: the Broken, which is basically regular Earth with no magic, the Weird which is full of magic and the Edge which lies in between the other two and has some magic. People from Broken cannot enter the Edge or the Weird. Magic people from the Weird can sometimes enter the Edge but hardly ever can they enter the Broken. Then there are the Edgers who can enter the Broken at will and occasionally the Weird. Sound complicated? Well, it starts ...more
Jilly
Jun 30, 2015 Jilly rated it really liked it
I love Kate Daniels. Ilona Andrews knows how to write female characters with strong personalities and snarky humor - a winning combination in my eyes.
some e-cards photo: Ecards You-had-me-at_zpsd2a7b5dc.jpg
I love sarcastic girls!

This story is about Rose. She lives in a place called the Edge, which is in a land that sits between the two main lands in this world. One is magical, called the Weird, and the other is non-magical and like our modern world, called the Broken. The Edge is in-between and the people have some magic. It's also like the back woo
Nothing But Readi...: The Edge Series by Ilona Andrews 112 223 Jan 01, 2015 08:49AM
Series Readers An...: The Edge by Ilona Andrews 42 32 Nov 18, 2014 01:49AM
where can i get these books?? 4 76 Feb 24, 2014 09:01AM
  • Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
  • Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2)
  • Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

The Edge (4 books)
  • Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2)
  • Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)
  • Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)

“Yes, I'm too mad to punish you right now. We'll talk about it when we get home. Go brush your teeth, comb your hair, put on dry clothes, and get the guns. We're going to Wal-Mart.” 245 likes
“I've never created a riot before. I did cause a brawl at the last formal. A large number of young women there actually arrived with the expectation of seducing me into matrimony, and a couple of their mothers came to blows. It was hilari—I mean, dreadful. Simply dreadful.” 231 likes