Start by marking “Maida's Little Shop (Maida, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maida's Little Shop (Maida, #1)

Read Book

Maida's Little Shop (Maida #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Maida's Little Shop is a gentle story with a delightful little girl heroine and lovable characters. Inez Haynes Irwin used the pseudonym Inez Haynes Gilmore. She was a feminist writer and was a member of the National Women's Party. Maida is a sweet little girl whose father is one of the richest men in America. She is pale, listless and lame. Her father buys her a small sho ...more
Published August 25th 2008 by Tutis Digital Pub (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Maida's Little Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maida's Little Shop

Katherine Meyer
Feb 16, 2012 Katherine Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mother kept all of the Maida books she read as a child, so they were on our bookshelf at home when I was growing up. I read them as a child and loved them. Now I decided to re-read them, beginning with this, the first in the series. Strange, I remember that as a child --- while I loved ALL the Maida books--- this first one was never my favorite. But now, as an adult, I can appreciate it so much more! It is a delightful book; so charming and full of adorable and lovable characters. It's so int ...more
Emily
A charming book from 1909 about a sickly, very rich, little girl whose father buys out a small toy and sweet shop after she expresses an interest in shop keeping and sets her up in charge of it. I guess every child has a strong interest in "playing store", and this little fantasy could not be more satisfactorily realized than it is in this book, which I would have adored had I read it as a child. As it is, I quite liked it, and was intrigued to learn from Constance that some of the settings in t ...more
Carolynne
Aug 02, 2007 Carolynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oldfavorites
Wealthy "Buffalo" Westabrook buys a shop in Charlestown, MA, for his daughter Maida, recovering from an unnamed but incapacitating illness. It gives her a new lease on life as she organizes the little shop and meets all the neighborhood children, whose lives are intertwined with hers from then on.
If you liked _Dandelion Cottage_ by Carroll Watson Rankin or _Two Are Better Than One_ by Carol Ryrie Brink you'll love this.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
May 06, 2008 Susanna - Censored by GoodReads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susanna - Censored by GoodReads by: my mother
I utterly adored this book as a child. I had my mother's copy, as I don't think it was in print then.
Kathryn McCary
I read this book 47 years ago, in fifth grade, and was glad to have the opportunity to renew the acquaintance through the Project Gutenberg version.

Maida, the child of a fabulously wealthy father, has recently been cured of the lameness she suffered from birth, but needs something to perk her spirits up--so her father buys her a little candy and sundries shop in a poor neighborhood, tells her she must make a success of it, and takes off for Wall Street leaving her under the protection of her old
Larry Piper
Mar 15, 2016 Larry Piper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Maida series of books were my spouse's favorites when she was growing up. This is the first of the series and was published in 1909 (well, my book says 1909, the wikipedia says 1910). Maida is a sick, little rich girl and her father, doctor and friend decide that she might be made well if only she could engage in something that truly interested her. She gets all excited by an old shop and they buy it and let her set it up (in Charlestown, MA). She makes her first real friends whilst the prop ...more
Susan Berger
Jul 06, 2014 Susan Berger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given the Maida series for my 8th birthday. I adored it. So did my brother. When he had a daughter, it was the first series he gave her. Maida's little House is the second book. The series was written from 1909 to 1958. I was eight in 1951, so I was unaware of the last three books. I would love to read them, but they are very rare and prohibitively expensive. I cannot tell you how many times I have read these books.
Barn Grammy
Jan 17, 2015 Barn Grammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As many here have said, I read these books as a child 60 years ago. My aunt had only the first 4 books, and I didn't know until recently that there had been 12 in the series. My daughters read my 4, also. Rereading the first book, I found it as charming and engaging as I had so many years ago. What a wonderful gift for the author to leave such a legacy.
Christine Desrochers-Broderick
My great aunts roommate Grace, told me this was the first book she read as a child on her own and absolutely fell in love with the series. So I ordered it from eBay and read it first, I loved the story almost as much as I love Little Women! Tomorrow I will give it to her and I've already found the next two!
Nancy Stern
Jul 26, 2014 Nancy Stern rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter book I read and will always love it
Jan
Jul 08, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series was one of my daughter's favorites when she was young. Now my granddaughter is the right age. I reread this charming book this week as it has been many, many years since I loved the series as a child. A beautiful book to share generation after generation after generation. Reading it on an iPad meant I didn't see any illustrations. Are there any?
Lanelle
Mar 21, 2016 Lanelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: out-of-copyright
Rather unrealistic.
Susan
Jul 23, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my goodness! Through Goodreads, I rediscovered the name of this series I've been seeking for years! I read these books at a friend's house and the characters and sweet stories made a big impression on me.
Cheryl Wilks
Oct 01, 2013 Cheryl Wilks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maida-books
I had never heard of this series until I saw the title on the back of another children's book. I found the book interesting and well written. I enjoyed reading it .
Dec 24, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books from childhood and available for free on Kindle!!
Sandra T
Sandra T marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Maria Cunha
Maria Cunha marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Katie Herbek Erickson
Katie Herbek Erickson marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Myra Eve
Myra Eve marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Shona
Shona rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Eileen Denz
Eileen Denz marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Saoirse Sterling
Saoirse Sterling marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Miz Lizzie
Miz Lizzie marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Libby Anne
Libby Anne is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2016
  • Christie's Old Organ (Rare Collector's Series)
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • Mandie Books Pack, Vols. 11-15
  • Secret of the Prince's Tomb (Imagination Station #7)
  • The Children's Book of Christmas Stories
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • The Metal Monster
  • The Peterkin Papers
  • Raggedy Andy Stories
  • Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats
  • Cornelli
  • The Adventures of the Black Hand Gang
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • The Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Meadow Farm
  • The Ralph Mouse Collection (Ralph #1-3)
  • Pandas and Other Endangered Species (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker, #26)
  • Shadowkeep
An early graduate of Radcliffe College, Irwin was an accomplished writer of juvenile fiction - the beloved "Maida" books - and of respected historical fiction for adults. She married fellow reporter-novelist Will Irwin (her second husband) in 1916.
More about Inez Haynes Irwin...

Maida (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Maida's Little House (Maida, #2)
  • Maida's Little School (Maida, #3)
  • Maida's Little Island (Maida, #4)
  • Maida's Little Camp (Maida, #5)
  • Maida's Little Village (Maida, #6)
  • Maida's Little Houseboat (Maida, #7)
  • Maida's Little Theater (Maida, #8)
  • Maida's Little Cabins (Maida, #9)
  • Maida's Little Zoo (Maida, #10)
  • Maida's Little Lighthouse (Maida, #11)