Start by marking “Maida's Little Shop (Maida, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maida's Little Shop (Maida, #1)
Read Book

Maida's Little Shop (Maida #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Maida's Little Shop is a gentle story with a delightful little girl heroine and lovable characters. Inez Haynes Irwin used the pseudonym Inez Haynes Gilmore. She was a feminist writer and was a member of the National Women's Party. Maida is a sweet little girl whose father is one of the richest men in America. She is pale, listless and lame. Her father buys her a small sho ...more
Published August 25th 2008 by Tutis Digital Pub (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Maida's Little Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maida's Little Shop

Emily
A charming book from 1909 about a sickly, very rich, little girl whose father buys out a small toy and sweet shop after she expresses an interest in shop keeping and sets her up in charge of it. I guess every child has a strong interest in "playing store", and this little fantasy could not be more satisfactorily realized than it is in this book, which I would have adored had I read it as a child. As it is, I quite liked it, and was intrigued to learn from Constance that some of the settings in t ...more
Katherine Meyer
My mother kept all of the Maida books she read as a child, so they were on our bookshelf at home when I was growing up. I read them as a child and loved them. Now I decided to re-read them, beginning with this, the first in the series. Strange, I remember that as a child --- while I loved ALL the Maida books--- this first one was never my favorite. But now, as an adult, I can appreciate it so much more! It is a delightful book; so charming and full of adorable and lovable characters. It's so int ...more
Carolynne
Wealthy "Buffalo" Westabrook buys a shop in Charlestown, MA, for his daughter Maida, recovering from an unnamed but incapacitating illness. It gives her a new lease on life as she organizes the little shop and meets all the neighborhood children, whose lives are intertwined with hers from then on.
If you liked _Dandelion Cottage_ by Carroll Watson Rankin or _Two Are Better Than One_ by Carol Ryrie Brink you'll love this.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
May 06, 2008 Susanna - Censored by GoodReads rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susanna - Censored by GoodReads by: my mother
I utterly adored this book as a child. I had my mother's copy, as I don't think it was in print then.
Kathryn McCary
I read this book 47 years ago, in fifth grade, and was glad to have the opportunity to renew the acquaintance through the Project Gutenberg version.

Maida, the child of a fabulously wealthy father, has recently been cured of the lameness she suffered from birth, but needs something to perk her spirits up--so her father buys her a little candy and sundries shop in a poor neighborhood, tells her she must make a success of it, and takes off for Wall Street leaving her under the protection of her old
Larry Piper
The Maida series of books were my spouse's favorites when she was growing up. This is the first of the series and was published in 1909 (well, my book says 1909, the wikipedia says 1910). Maida is a sick, little rich girl and her father, doctor and friend decide that she might be made well if only she could engage in something that truly interested her. She gets all excited by an old shop and they buy it and let her set it up (in Charlestown, MA). She makes her first real friends whilst the prop ...more
Susan Berger
I was given the Maida series for my 8th birthday. I adored it. So did my brother. When he had a daughter, it was the first series he gave her. Maida's little House is the second book. The series was written from 1909 to 1958. I was eight in 1951, so I was unaware of the last three books. I would love to read them, but they are very rare and prohibitively expensive. I cannot tell you how many times I have read these books.
Barn Grammy
As many here have said, I read these books as a child 60 years ago. My aunt had only the first 4 books, and I didn't know until recently that there had been 12 in the series. My daughters read my 4, also. Rereading the first book, I found it as charming and engaging as I had so many years ago. What a wonderful gift for the author to leave such a legacy.
Christine Desrochers-Broderick
My great aunts roommate Grace, told me this was the first book she read as a child on her own and absolutely fell in love with the series. So I ordered it from eBay and read it first, I loved the story almost as much as I love Little Women! Tomorrow I will give it to her and I've already found the next two!
Nancy Stern
The first chapter book I read and will always love it
Jan
This series was one of my daughter's favorites when she was young. Now my granddaughter is the right age. I reread this charming book this week as it has been many, many years since I loved the series as a child. A beautiful book to share generation after generation after generation. Reading it on an iPad meant I didn't see any illustrations. Are there any?
Susan
Oh, my goodness! Through Goodreads, I rediscovered the name of this series I've been seeking for years! I read these books at a friend's house and the characters and sweet stories made a big impression on me.
Cheryl Wilks
I had never heard of this series until I saw the title on the back of another children's book. I found the book interesting and well written. I enjoyed reading it .
One of my favorite books from childhood and available for free on Kindle!!
Joan Kelley
Joan Kelley marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Kyndal Hoepken
Kyndal Hoepken marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Laurie Charland
Laurie Charland marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Donghoon Dan
Donghoon Dan marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Jenn Rogers
Jenn Rogers marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Search in the Great City (Bobbsey Twins, #9)
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • The Children's Book of Christmas Stories
  • Secret of the Prince's Tomb (Imagination Station #7)
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • Life with Lily (The Adventures of Lily Lapp #1)
  • Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems
  • The Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Meadow Farm
  • Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels
  • Auntie Yang's Great Soybean Picnic
  • Younguncle Comes to Town
An early graduate of Radcliffe College, Irwin was an accomplished writer of juvenile fiction - the beloved "Maida" books - and of respected historical fiction for adults. She married fellow reporter-novelist Will Irwin (her second husband) in 1916.
More about Inez Haynes Irwin...

Maida (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Maida's Little House (Maida, #2)
  • Maida's Little School (Maida, #3)
  • Maida's Little Island (Maida, #4)
  • Maida's Little Camp (Maida, #5)
  • Maida's Little Village (Maida, #6)
  • Maida's Little Houseboat (Maida, #7)
  • Maida's Little Theater (Maida, #8)
  • Maida's Little Cabins (Maida, #9)
  • Maida's Little Zoo (Maida, #10)
  • Maida's Little Lighthouse (Maida, #11)
Maida's Little House (Maida, #2) Maida's Little School (Maida, #3) Maida's Little Island (Maida, #4) Maida's Little Houseboat (Maida, #7) Maida's Little Camp (Maida, #5)