Start by marking “Roald Dahl Treasury” as Want to Read:
Roald Dahl Treasury

Roald Dahl Treasury

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,145 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
This extraordinary collection takes readers on a fascinating journey into Dahl's unique imagination. At over 400 pages, it contains excerpts from Dahl's best-loved fiction for children and his autobiographical material. There are stories, rhymes, and memoirs as well as unpublished poetry and letters. Lavishly produced and illustrated in full-color, it features artwork by s ...more
Unknown Binding, 448 pages
Published September 15th 2003 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 1997)

Can You Get An F In Lunch? by Nancy E. KrulikCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life by Rachel Renée RussellThe Magic Finger by Roald Dahl
my books :D
6th out of 24 books — 6 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlMatilda by Roald DahlThe BFG by Roald DahlThe Twits by Roald DahlJames and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
All About Roald Dahl
27th out of 56 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

April
Jul 31, 2012 April rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every child
I bought this when I was around nine-years-old at the Roald Dahl Museum (which was a truly magnificent experience) and being an extreme Dahl fan as a kid, Quentin Blake's illustrations had served as the companion to Dahl's tremendous stories. This book, though heavy and extremely expensive for me (luckily it was for my birthday), is compact with classic Dahl stories filled with entertainment. I remember laughing at the gory retelling of stories such as Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood; I'd ...more
Tess
Nov 11, 2010 Tess rated it it was amazing
Roald Dahl.

What can I say?

What can I say that will accurately portray the great love and respect I hold for you?

That can truely express the magic you injected into my life from such an early age?

That can make you see how your stories enriched my relationships, particularly the one between my father and me.

His interpretation of the BFG's voice would have delighted you. And now, thanks to you, he will live on forever in that marvellous character.

This is a collection of snippets (and whatever the
Margaret
Nov 26, 2015 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, anthology
I think I'd like to be Roald Dahl when I grow up.
Rebecca
I just skimmed through this, and re-read some of the novel snippets and poems. It's a lovely read and brings back great memories of reading Roald Dahl as a kid. Note to self: re-read more of his books. Other than Matilda, which I read again in 2014, it's been a while for most of my other favourites!
Penelope
Roald Dahl, as you know, is awesome. I've read most of his books-for-kids, but only one collection of his short stories for adults (after reading this book, I'll definitely be pursuing more of his books-for-adults). This Treasury has a wonderful mix of both types of work and includes poetry, short stories, excerpts from books, non-fiction, and recipes (I had totally forgotten about Revolting Recipes! And man, do those Hansel and Gretel Spare Ribs look GOOD). Everything is, of course, accompanied ...more
Iris Nube
Jul 07, 2015 Iris Nube rated it it was amazing
My husband reads to our unborn baby every night from this book (and others), which is absolutely adorable.
Baby seems to respond to the rythm and rhyme and daddy's voice.

The stories are lovely for both adults and children, the drawings are beautiful as always with Roald Dahl.
Absolutely recommend this if you like Roald Dahl!!
Trisha Smith
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely place. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

"As I grow old and just a triffle frayed
It's nice to know that sometimes I have made
You children and occasionally the staff
Stop work and have instead a little laugh."

These stories are so much fun! The treasury includes excerpts from novels as well as short stories, poems, recipes, and letters. And the
April
Mar 02, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Ela Das
Mar 09, 2012 Ela Das rated it it was amazing
If I'm ever sick, or really feeling blue, this is the perfect book to curl up with. It's impossible not to feel chirpy after reading Dahl's downright hilarious poems (which are a quirky take on age-old fairytales!)
Sometimes, I still like it read to me by my mum.
Curious
Mar 21, 2016 Curious rated it it was amazing
There is no end to what you can invent if you put your mind to it. You can go on for ever.

Kelsey
Jan 16, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Tons of Roald Dahl stuff crammed into one book?

It HAS to be 5 stars.
Farnia
The first and only Roald Dahl book that I had ever read before this was Matilda which was recommended to me by a friend when I was 10. I loved it and I recently felt like reading more Dahl books. The beautiful blue cover captivated me and even though it was expensive I bought it. And I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the colourful illustrations. There were lovely retellings of fairy tales with twists and personal life stories from Dahl and short stories and poems from his other books. For some stories ...more
PurplyCookie
Apr 26, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it it was amazing
This tome of an homage dedicated to the great Roald Dahl contains excerpts from Dahl's best-loved fiction for children and his autobiographical material. There are stories, rhymes, and memoirs as well as unpublished poetry and letters. Although they may be a bit shortened, it will give you a good idea of which book of his to buy if you want to finish a given story.

Elliot Gomm
Sep 04, 2013 Elliot Gomm rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't enjoy reading Roald Dahl?

This review seems completely pointless because even if I did have anything bad to say about anything that Dahl has ever written (which I certainly do not), his legions of fans from young to old will simply ignore. And rightly so.

Roald Dahl novels, short stories, poems, rhymes and songs can be enjoyed as a class reading, individual reading, guided reading and will certainly help to inspire young peoples creative writing skills.

The Roald Dahl Treasury in partic
Pardis Parto
Sep 26, 2015 Pardis Parto rated it it was amazing
This extraordinary collection takes readers on a fascinating journey into Dahl's unique imagination. At over 400 pages, it's filled with Dahl's best-loved fiction for children as well as much autobiographical material. It contains stories, rhymes, and memoirs as well as unpublished poetry and letters. Lavishly produced and illustrated in full-color, it features artwork by such prominent illustrators as Quentin Blake, Lane Smith, and Raymond Briggs.
Michelle
Jan 23, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This treasury was given to me as a child by a relative who knew Dahl to be my favorite author at the time. I was thrilled to find short stories of his that I had never read along with excerpts from my favorites with large, full-color illustrations. It has a special place on my bookshelf.
Helen
Apr 18, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
I adored this man growing up and that love is still there. This is a collection of excerpts and his shorter stories. I love reading this regularly with my sons.
Heather
Jul 15, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
My husband got this book for me as a Christmas present. I love anything Roald Dahl (as you can probably gather from my books), so I was excited that he bought this for me. The graphics in this book are wonderful, and the collection of books is nice because it enables the reader to see the wide variation in Dahl's writing topics. My only criticism is that I was disappointed that the Treasury uses only snippets of the different books (a chapter of each, really) rather than the entire book. I would ...more
Alicia
May 17, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Still one of the best books in my collection. Can pick it up any time for first class entertainment on every and any page that opens!
This book is a collection of Roald Dahl poems and books that he himself has written.

I love this book and I think you will too
Leah
Dec 03, 2013 Leah rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, childrens
Ok, ok, I know Roald Dahl is great and brought us some of the most beloved stories that were made into movies, but honestly, this "treasury" left a little to be desired. I have decided after reading this that I do not like Roald Dahl. He is creepy, like the Grimm guys, freaking kids out, threatening them with being eaten or losing limbs, which I always thought was so...gross.

Also, don't expect to actually get to read the ENTIRE stories in here. This book gives you just enough to be interested o
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teens/Adults who have read Dahl's books as a child
Recommended to Leah by: My Father - Malcolm Mitchell
Shelves: childrens
I'd not read a whole lot of Roald Dahl, but I knew the stories and had watched several of the films and loved them. So this became a book on the list for santa.

I really like reading about his memoirs and his thoughts and feelings when we wrote the various books, but I had never really appreciated them as much until I read this.

The only down-side to this book was reading extracts and reviews of the books I hadn't read, because I wouldn't know the story or in some cases, I wanted to carry on readi
Sarah Stace
Dec 29, 2015 Sarah Stace rated it it was amazing
I probably spent weeks and weeks going through this as a child.
Apeksha Agrawal
Jul 07, 2016 Apeksha Agrawal rated it it was amazing
It's called a 'treasury' for good reason :).
Jeva Bojare
Mar 25, 2015 Jeva Bojare marked it as to-read
How Can I Actually Read The Book?
Virginia Jacobs
I recently read somewhere, an author saying the best advise he ever got was to always read Roald Dahl. I think that's pretty good advise. I didn't read a lot of him when I was a kid (I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Fantastic Mr. Fox), and I honestly think I enjoy him more as an adult.

This book did get a little tedious after a while (I don't think you're supposed to read it straight through), and I'm not a fan of extracts from full-lenght books, but all-in-all, this was a very
Abhinn
Jan 30, 2015 Mark added it
mark
Kate
Dec 03, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
I loved reading these different stories in this book. I think it was funny, weird, cheerful, and maybe even a little bit helpful, seeing that so many others have the same failures I have, and the way they deal with it is extraordinary! I loved this book and I think many others will love it too.
  • Roald Dahl: A Biography
  • Gooney Bird on the Map
  • D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl
  • My Life as Alien Monster Bait (The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle, #2)
  • Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary
  • Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes (The Carl Barks Library, #7)
  • Mental Floss: Genius Instruction Manual
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Nightmares: Tales to Make You Scream
  • We're All Mad Here (Stockholm Syndrome, #3.5)
  • I Believe in Unicorns
  • Fiddle-back (Stella Street, #2)
  • T-backs, T-shirts, Coat and Suit