Start by marking “Roald Dahl Treasury” as Want to Read:
Roald Dahl Treasury

Roald Dahl Treasury

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  1,671 ratings  ·  71 reviews
This extraordinary collection takes readers on a fascinating journey into Dahl's unique imagination. At over 400 pages, it contains excerpts from Dahl's best-loved fiction for children and his autobiographical material. There are stories, rhymes, and memoirs as well as unpublished poetry and letters. Lavishly produced and illustrated in full-color, it features artwork by s ...more
Unknown Binding, 448 pages
Published September 15th 2003 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Roald Dahl Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roald Dahl Treasury

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlMatilda by Roald DahlThe BFG by Roald DahlJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Twits by Roald Dahl
All About Roald Dahl
26th out of 56 books — 40 voters
Can You Get An F In Lunch? by Nancy E. KrulikHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDork Diaries by Rachel Renée RussellThe Magic Finger by Roald DahlThe Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More by Roald Dahl
my books :D
8th out of 24 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

April
Jul 31, 2012 April rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every child
I bought this when I was around nine-years-old at the Roald Dahl Museum (which was a truly magnificent experience) and being an extreme Dahl fan as a kid, Quentin Blake's illustrations had served as the companion to Dahl's tremendous stories. This book, though heavy and extremely expensive for me (luckily it was for my birthday), is compact with classic Dahl stories filled with entertainment. I remember laughing at the gory retelling of stories such as Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood; I'd ...more
Tess
Roald Dahl.

What can I say?

What can I say that will accurately portray the great love and respect I hold for you?

That can truely express the magic you injected into my life from such an early age?

That can make you see how your stories enriched my relationships, particularly the one between my father and me.

His interpretation of the BFG's voice would have delighted you. And now, thanks to you, he will live on forever in that marvellous character.

This is a collection of snippets (and whatever the
Penelope
Roald Dahl, as you know, is awesome. I've read most of his books-for-kids, but only one collection of his short stories for adults (after reading this book, I'll definitely be pursuing more of his books-for-adults). This Treasury has a wonderful mix of both types of work and includes poetry, short stories, excerpts from books, non-fiction, and recipes (I had totally forgotten about Revolting Recipes! And man, do those Hansel and Gretel Spare Ribs look GOOD). Everything is, of course, accompanied ...more
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Ela Das
If I'm ever sick, or really feeling blue, this is the perfect book to curl up with. It's impossible not to feel chirpy after reading Dahl's downright hilarious poems (which are a quirky take on age-old fairytales!)
Sometimes, I still like it read to me by my mum.
Farnia
The first and only Roald Dahl book that I had ever read before this was Matilda which was recommended to me by a friend when I was 10. I loved it and I recently felt like reading more Dahl books. The beautiful blue cover captivated me and even though it was expensive I bought it. And I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the colourful illustrations. There were lovely retellings of fairy tales with twists and personal life stories from Dahl and short stories and poems from his other books. For some stories ...more
PurplyCookie
This tome of an homage dedicated to the great Roald Dahl contains excerpts from Dahl's best-loved fiction for children and his autobiographical material. There are stories, rhymes, and memoirs as well as unpublished poetry and letters. Although they may be a bit shortened, it will give you a good idea of which book of his to buy if you want to finish a given story.

Lavishly produced and illustrated in full-color, it features artwork by such prominent illustrators as Quentin Blake, Lane Smith, and
Elliot Gomm
Who doesn't enjoy reading Roald Dahl?

This review seems completely pointless because even if I did have anything bad to say about anything that Dahl has ever written (which I certainly do not), his legions of fans from young to old will simply ignore. And rightly so.

Roald Dahl novels, short stories, poems, rhymes and songs can be enjoyed as a class reading, individual reading, guided reading and will certainly help to inspire young peoples creative writing skills.

The Roald Dahl Treasury in partic
Celise
As a kid, this was my favourite thing ever. I don't think I ever read it to the end because I kept wanting to reread the first few stories every time I opened it. I wish all children's authors were this quirky and creative.
Heather
My husband got this book for me as a Christmas present. I love anything Roald Dahl (as you can probably gather from my books), so I was excited that he bought this for me. The graphics in this book are wonderful, and the collection of books is nice because it enables the reader to see the wide variation in Dahl's writing topics. My only criticism is that I was disappointed that the Treasury uses only snippets of the different books (a chapter of each, really) rather than the entire book. I would ...more
Alicia
Still one of the best books in my collection. Can pick it up any time for first class entertainment on every and any page that opens!
This book is a collection of Roald Dahl poems and books that he himself has written.

I love this book and I think you will too
Leah
Ok, ok, I know Roald Dahl is great and brought us some of the most beloved stories that were made into movies, but honestly, this "treasury" left a little to be desired. I have decided after reading this that I do not like Roald Dahl. He is creepy, like the Grimm guys, freaking kids out, threatening them with being eaten or losing limbs, which I always thought was so...gross.

Also, don't expect to actually get to read the ENTIRE stories in here. This book gives you just enough to be interested o
Leah
Jul 18, 2013 Leah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens/Adults who have read Dahl's books as a child
Recommended to Leah by: My Father - Malcolm Mitchell
I'd not read a whole lot of Roald Dahl, but I knew the stories and had watched several of the films and loved them. So this became a book on the list for santa.

I really like reading about his memoirs and his thoughts and feelings when we wrote the various books, but I had never really appreciated them as much until I read this.

The only down-side to this book was reading extracts and reviews of the books I hadn't read, because I wouldn't know the story or in some cases, I wanted to carry on readi
Virginia Jacobs
I recently read somewhere, an author saying the best advise he ever got was to always read Roald Dahl. I think that's pretty good advise. I didn't read a lot of him when I was a kid (I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Fantastic Mr. Fox), and I honestly think I enjoy him more as an adult.

This book did get a little tedious after a while (I don't think you're supposed to read it straight through), and I'm not a fan of extracts from full-lenght books, but all-in-all, this was a very
Abhinn
it was great
Lani
interesting
Aditya Krishna
One of the best narrator around.
Enya-Marie Clay
All in all a really rich collection of Dahl and definitely a book I'd bring out to help with bedtime stories when babysitting.
My only faults were that I don't think the excerpts were too well chosen and I don't think there was a particular target audience meaning you jumped from a story aimed at children to a memoir aimed at adults from page to page which made it tricky to adjust your mindset to each time. Perhaps a better chapter layout would have helped?
The Twins
Boys loved it and my personal favourite were the fairytale poems - great, great book with a little bit for everyone and every age.
Jaclyn
It's interesting. I was surprised by his writing, since many of my grade school kids were so intrigued by his books. I guess I was expecting his direct descriptions of characters and situations.
Emily
This is on my shelf in addition to the individual full-length works. The book includes "moments" of his writing--the shorter stories, and extracts from the longer books. A nice volume, but not a complete collection. In fact, I would say it's not a good place to start with Roald Dahl as I believe the longer books are really his best work (thus the 3 stars here and not more).
Cindy
The reason for the start of the Dahl era. Now I know his wit and observations are sharp and for school age kids, and he wrote such great stuff, but even my 4 year old's in love with his stories and especially his poems. Which made me realize, I should never undermine a 4 year old's choice in stories. He's awesome, and he must have been the oldest kid alive.
Cail
One of my all-time favorite writers. His books still hold the whimsy and charm that I found in them as a boy. His older, more mature writing is excellent as well, but his writing for children is his best.

This is a great collection because it contains new Quentin Blake illustrations and contains stories like "The Minpins" that are harder to find.
Jessie Jellick

I love Roald Dahl & can't wait till my daughter is old enough for me to share his books with her...this book is like a bit of nostalgia, you get that good feeling from each snippet & there's bits I'd never read so they were a real treasure...it's like eating a delicious box of assorted chocolates (not to sound too forest gump!)
jamie
what i love and look for in roald dahl stories:

1. his characters are so excitable.. lots of exclamation points!
2. all the alliteration.
3. the rhyming.
4. quite simply, the man's amazing imagination and the way he uses the above techniques to write a fantastic story that children and adults can enjoy.
5. oh, and all the candy.
Jane(Janelba)
I only read two Roald Dahl books as a child and they were Danny Champion of the World and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Although this book doesn't contain many complete books in it, alot of the extracts are complete chapters, rhymes or stories. Great introduction into the world of Roald Dahl !
Lehanne
cannot put into words how much i loved this as a child, was always my most prized book! i used to flick through it all the time reading that random stories, Roald Dahl's books sum up my childhood! aswell as quentin blakes illustrations, every child should be given this book to read :D
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Excellent books for fans of Dahl.

Lots of fun little poems, little snippets from his life.

Also excerpts from many of his books, and wonderful illustrations.

I think it's a book for a fan to have on the coffee table, but you are better buying the actual books.

Edmund
Sabrina Crespin
This book literally got me through my childhood. I would read this book over and over and over again in the big purple snuggly chair in the living room. I love, love, LOVE Roald Dahl. This book introduced me to The Twits, The Witches, Mathilda, and The BFG. Best book EVER.
  • The Happy Hocky Family
  • Roald Dahl: A Biography
  • Snow White: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • Dragonsdale (Dragonsdale, #1)
  • The Wishing-Chair Again
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Aliens: Tales to Warp Your Mind
  • Horrid Henry Meets the Queen. Francesca Simon
  • Princess Prunella and the Purple Peanut
  • T-backs, T-shirts, Coat and Suit
  • We're All Mad Here (Stockholm Syndrome, #3.5)
  • The World of Christopher Robin: The Complete When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six
  • The Rainbow Goblins
  • Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Matilda James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches