Start by marking “Cabin Fever” as Want to Read:
Cabin Fever

Read Book

Cabin Fever

If you would test the soul of a friend, take him into the wilderness and rub elbows with him for five months. Either you will hate each other forever afterwards, or emerge with contempt tinged with a pitying toleration -- or you will be close, unquestioning friends to the end of your days.
Published May 14th 2003 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Cabin Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cabin Fever

Charlotte
Nov 06, 2016 Charlotte rated it really liked it
What a little gem!
Maria
Dec 19, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it
Such a warm story! Well, at first things go wrong, but with the turn of events, it all turns out wonderfully well.
The story is much like a fairy tale, I dare argue, with the cabin fever as its villain.

I loved the characters which were very human and quite detailed. The writing style also complimented the characters' personalities with common details which often were comical, because they sparked recognition. Also, the passages with Lovin Child and Bud were adorable!

There were some less interesti
Mitzi
Jun 16, 2016 Mitzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-novels
I've only read one other B.M. Bower novel, which I thought was OK, but didn't "wow" me. I decided to give her another try, and I am SO glad I chose Cabin Fever. It's not a romance, well not really, and the characters are so well written that they just suck you right into their lives, and make you care about them. The twist at the end I didn't see coming, which is always nice.

One other thing - B.M. Bower is totally on point with her "turn of phrase" game in this book, which I am a HUGE sucker for
Hannah
This was an interesting story about a man who quarrels with his young wife and goes out into the world to try to forget her. He runs across jewel thieves and, after craftily turning them in to the police, throws his lot in with a prospector. He tries his best to ignore all thoughts of his abandoned wife, but the effort leads him into bad habits and an urge to drink. Then, one day, he finds a child who has been stolen by an Indian squaw and takes him in. How will the child's presence change the t ...more
Joanna
Sep 16, 2015 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister-in-law, who's book recommendations have always proved fruitful in the past, just lent this 1944 edition to me~~I'll rate it when completed!

Ok, it's a delightful read, with a surprising little twist at the end to leave you feeling "happily-ever-after." I'm not a fan, usually, of this period, but still--enjoyed it enough to recommend!
C. Coleman
Nov 22, 2015 C. Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different from what I expected. Good western with good character development. The pace was slow and much of it bogged down a bit, but some of that was to develop the character personalities. I would probably have given it three stars until it came together at the end with a totally unexpected conclusion.
I'd recommend it.
Shaakira Osman
Nov 23, 2016 Shaakira Osman rated it really liked it
Lovely story, the characters are so well written not to mention the author has such a wonderful way with words... captured the human condition perfectly.
When I first started reading I thought B.M Bower was a man and marveled at how well he knew the mind of a woman. Now that I've just found out he's a she I'm marveling at how well she knows the mind of both!
R.L.
B. M. Bower wrote a lot of books. This one is one of her earliest (1918). It is worth reading if only for the glimpse of life in a certain part of the United States a hundred years ago.
Paul Varner
Paul Varner rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Linda Hales
Linda Hales rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 16, 2009
Daniela
Daniela rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
James
James rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Heather Oakman
Heather Oakman rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2011
Brenda Edwrads
Brenda Edwrads rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Adnan
Adnan rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Dawn Wells
Dawn Wells rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Laura Warby
Laura Warby rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
bill massey
bill massey rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Dan Warner
Dan Warner rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Naulayne Raiche Enders
Naulayne Raiche Enders rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Junie Wysong
Junie Wysong rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Sarah Sjoblom
Sarah Sjoblom rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Bouchra Rebiai
Bouchra Rebiai rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2013
Ragene Burks
Ragene Burks rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Shirley
Feb 06, 2010 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Loved the surprise ending. Delightful glimpse into that era.
Cliff Binion
Cliff Binion rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Nissa
Nissa rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Bertha Muzzy Sinclair or Sinclair-Cowan, née Muzzy, best known by her pseudonym B. M. Bower, was an American author who wrote novels, fictional short stories, and screenplays about the American Old West. Her works, featuring cowboys and cows of the Flying R Ranch in Montana, reflected "an interest in ranch life, the use of working cowboys as main characters (even in romantic plots), the occasional ...more
More about B.M. Bower...