Operation: Outer Space
read book

Operation: Outer Space

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published January 1st 1954)

Julie Davis
Prompted by my enjoyment of the Murray Leinster Collection, I went searching for another likely Leinster book to try. I vaguely recalled Mark Douglas Nelson running Operation: Outer Space at SciPodCast before it went to live at LibriVox. I'd give this 3-1/2 stars if it were possible. It just doesn't have the oomph to take it to 4 stars.
Jed Cochrane is about to take off on man’s first interstellar voyage. His mission: Make sure it’s good television!

"A fast-paced, sardonic job that is primarily a
Cheryl in CC NV
Good narrator. But the story is a big messy pile of ideas, none of which were fleshed out. I'm still getting the hang of audio-books, so this was good because it was ok if I didn't catch every line, every point.

One noteworthy element is the exploration of the women's roles. Like most classic pulp writers, Leinster doesn't realize how sexist & ignorant he is. But he did sincerely try to show respect to women and to share ideas about relationships.
Jim

FASTER THAN LIGHT!

"But what can be done with it?" asked Cochrane practically.

"Nothing," said Jones succinctly. "It changes the properties of space, but that's all. Can you think of any use for a faster-than-light radiation-pipe? I can't."

Cochrane cocked an eye at Jamison, who could extrapolate at the drop of an equation. But Jamison shook his head.

"Communication between planets," he said morosely, "when we get to them. Chats between sweethearts on Earth and Pluto. Broadcasts to the star

Kimbolimbo
Not my favorite space book. There was something I liked...let me think...what was it...oh, the one time that the male chauvinist had a moment of clarity and he said he finally had a woman's viewpoint and he liked it because women look farther into the future than men. The scientific reasoning in this book about how to know if a planet was safe and what foods were edible was rather simplistic, I found it refreshing. But the whole book was rather boring and to fantastical. Funny that the reason sp...more
David
A scathing satire on the media, advertising and psychiatric community of the early 1950's. One dimensional archetypical characters represent the shallowness of mass media and the idle rich. On the Earth of the future, cities are overcrowded and the elite have nothing to do but buy fame from people who really do the work. A faster than light drive is invented and Jed Cochrane, a television producer, seizes the chance to change the course of history and free the people who are willing to work for...more
Diane
I love Mark Douglas Nelson as narrator, unfortunately his made for sci voice couldn't lift this story from it's disheveled state.
Nick
Looks promising. Murray Leinster seldom disappoints. I found it here - http://www.gutenberg.org/1/8/3/6/18361 - It lived up to its promise, he doesn't telegraph his moves and it jumps in several unexpected directions. Its a pity he doesn't do the relationship side of the story justice. His books could be much richer if we had access to just a little more of the protagonists emotional life and thought processes.
Jan
This is a very fun read if you love the old pulp sci-fi from the 50's. It's fairly light on technology, but the way it uses it is believable. Characters are very pulp-fiction and stereotypical, which is fine in the context of the story. It's a great book and is also available as an e-book.
JodiP
Ralph McEwen
Sometime even a very good narrator can not bring a mediocre story to life.
Kim Hardy
This book started out slow, but after the 3rd chapter things picked up.
bluetyson
Operation: Outer Space by Murray Leinster (2000)
Markuse51
Markuse51 is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2014
May
May marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Kagiso Reed
Kagiso Reed is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2014
Odion Julius
Odion Julius marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Melinda Le Baron
Melinda Le Baron marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Dea Katel
Dea Katel is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2014
Forough 1
Forough 1 is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2014
John D.
John D. marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Courtney
Courtney is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2014
Max
Max added it
Jan 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Murray Leinster (June 16, 1896 in Norfolk, Virginia- June 8, 1975) was a nom de plume of William Fitzgerald Jenkins, an award-winning American writer of science fiction and alternate history. He wrote and published over 1,500 short stories and articles, 14 movie scripts, and hundreds of radio scripts and television plays.

An author whose career spanned the first six decades of the 20th Century. Fro...more
More about Murray Leinster...
Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4) A Logic Named Joe Planets of Adventure The Forgotten Planet The Aliens