Eleonora
read book

Eleonora

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  27 reviews
(Boston, EE UU, 1809-Baltimore, id., 1849) Poeta, cuentista y crítico estadounidense. Sus padres, actores de teatro itinerantes, murieron cuando él era todavía un niño. Edgar Allan Poe fue educado por John Allan, un acaudalado hombre de negocios de Richmond, y de 1815 a 1820 vivió con éste y su esposa en el Reino Unido, donde comenzó su educación.

La historia es narrada po...more
8 pages
Published (first published 1842)

To ask other readers questions about Eleonora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleonora

Exina
They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Of course, this story is significant due to the autobiographical aspects, but the least engaging story by Poe I’ve read so far. The writing style is sentimental and pompous. I don’t think I will read the other two related stories, Morella and Ligeia.

❀УᗩᔕᗰᎥИƎ❀
In this short story, the unnamed narrator grew up with his aunt and cousin in "The Valley of the Many-Colored Grass." Idyllic paradise surrounded by flowers and nature. It was isolated from all people.

After 15 years of living with his aunt and cousin, the narrator and his cousin, Eleonora, fall in love. However, Eleonora was sick. Her only fear was that the narrator would find a new love now that she was dying. As she's dying, the narrator vows to the mighty ruler of the world that he will stay...more
David
Interesting, a Poe story that isn't rife with mental illness, abuse or murder. It's a love story. The most interesting part, to me, was the description of the valley where the narrator lives along with the girl he loves. The valley changes to reflect their relationship and it implies a lot without the narrator having to explicitly say. Being a Poe story, it's not all 'happily ever after' for this couple and the valley reflects what happens.

The end is kinda unexpected and abrupt, if this is what...more
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
A beautiful story, with an autobiographical touch. It revolves around the question- is it ok to fall in love after the death of your first love.? The narrator gives a promise to his first love that he won't love another girl after her death. She continues to make her presence felt after death. In the end, she herself approves of his second love. A simple story,nothing big about it. Enjoyable.
Sarthak Parajulee
Is it possible for something to be very beautiful, heart-touching, and yet creepy? Apparently, yes.
Lisa James
This was a real love story with a fairy tale feel, a complete change from his works of mystery & terror. I am SO glad I read this :) It shows in the end that love does indeed conquer all, & that love forgives as well. I never knew Poe could write like this!
Elizabeth
It's Poe. How can it possibly be anything but awesome?
Aimen
"She had been made perfect in loveliness only to die..."
One of the surprisingly lighter short stories of Edgar Allan Poe. There aren't any brutal murders, massacres, and dark-bloody gore. There is a twist of happy eloquence in his writing towards the beginning then the darker, hauntingly beautiful writing towards the end.Eleonara is a short story about love and loss. It is told in the eyes of a broken man, and the writing really gets to you. It was a quick read, a couple of pages of emotions spl...more
Dean MacKinnon-Thomson
An slightly autobiographical piece by Poe, where he explores his own deep personal guilt over the fact he has considered other women for love in his life.

In this piece, a piece with a relatively happy ending (which makes a pleasant change of pace for lovers of Poe, Gothic and romance) - we find a young couple.

The story follows an unnamed narrator who lives with his cousin and aunt in "The Valley of the Many-Colored Grass," an idyllic paradise full of fragrant flowers, fantastic trees, and a "R...more
Dejan
A beautiful story about love and loss, quite different from Poe's other works. What I liked most about it was the way it was written. Sure, every Poe's piece is masterfully written, but this one was special in its own way. Take the imagery for example, and how easy it is to envision the Valley of the Many-Colored Grass and how it later loses its beauty after Eleonora's death: "And the lulling melody that had been softer than the wind-harp of Aeolus and more divine than all save the voice of Eleo...more
Maan
A short (creepy) story about a guy falling in love with his cousin. They live together for so long that they develop that feeling. After years, Eleonora gets sick. As she's dying, she confesses that she's afraid her lover will find love after her so he vows to never wed after her. Years pass by after her death, And the guy moves out of his hometown to a "strange place" where he meets someone else and falls in love. And Eleonora's spirit blesses him by not haunting him.

I didn't feel any connectio...more
Evelyn
This is the first romance story I've ever read from EAP. I love it. It is all about true love and has a happy ending, even though it has death as almost every EAP story.
sabisteb
Es wird immer mysteriöser. Edgar Allan Poe und Leonie verstecken sich vor Dr. Baker/Tempelton auf der Insel von CD Edgar Allan Poe - Der Goldkäfer (Edgar Allan Poe 6). Es stellt sich heraus, dass der Baum, in welchem E.A.Poe damals den Ring fand doch einen Schatz birgt (wie in seinem Traum). Das Leben auf der Insel könnte so schön sein, wenn Dr. Tempelton/Baker ihnen nicht gedungene Mörder auf den hals gehetzt hätte. Warum ist Tempelton dermaßen hinter Poe her?
Die auf einer Kurzgeschichte des ec...more
Javier Galindez
Al parecer no tuviste amores correspondidos, Poe.
Sara Bakker
Such a tragic piece of art ... breath-taking !!!

"I wedded;—nor dreaded the curse I had invoked; and its bitterness
was not visited upon me. And once—but once again in the silence of the
night; there came through my lattice the soft sighs which had forsaken
me; and they modelled themselves into familiar and sweet voice, saying:
"Sleep in peace!—for the Spirit of Love reigneth and ruleth, and, in
taking to thy passionate heart her who is Ermengarde, thou art absolved,
for reasons which shall be made kno...more
Jey
Poe is utterly amazing. Words cannot describe his genius mind.

“Men have called me mad; but the question is not settled whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence -- whether much that is glorious -- whether all that is profound -- does not spring from disease of thought -- from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect. They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who only dream by night."
Tiny Mendoza
Elinor  Loredan
I was really surprised at this tender, fanciful tale about love and its capacity for forgiveness. It also seems to show the contrast between 'earthly' and 'heavenly' love. Earthly love can be passionate, fleeting, changeable, while heavenly love, Poe implies, is deep, enduring, and not dependent on love in return.
Tiny Mendoza
Published in 1849, this is the story of a knight who went to search for El Dorado. After years of searching, he still doesn't find it and then he met a Shadow who finally gave him directions. But I think the direction was to death. I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.
Andita
Back then, I never thought that Poe could write such a faithful love story like this ^^ His love for Eleanora cannot be compared with any tales. Eleanora is dead already, but the love of this man is never vanish <3
Abby
Lou
As always, Poe combines romance with the strange and I think this is one of his few "optimistic" stories. I expected a bitter, terrifying, even dramatic end but it was romantic and hopeful.
ke-sha
One of my favorites by him and you would like to know my thought's check out this video I made :D
Toni Bush
Never knew Poe could be so touching...
Nara Cervantes
Unique..to a lover...
Kumaresan
Kumaresan marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Heba
Heba marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Reading the Classics: Eldorado 5 87 Jun 23, 2014 02:56AM
  • Guy Mannering
  • The Mortal Immortal: The Complete Supernatural Short Fiction of Mary Shelley
  • The celebrated jumping frog, and other stories (The World's best reading)
  • The Lady or the Tiger
  • The Black Monk
  • In a Grove
  • Polaris
  • La trilogía de la niebla (Obra completa)
  • The Happy Prince
  • Markheim
  • The Storm
  • The Boscombe Valley Mystery (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Man Without A Country
  • Rappaccini's Daughter
  • The Way to Wealth
  • The Swimmer
  • The Egg
  • The Outcasts of Poker Flat
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado

“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” 6488 likes
“Men have called me mad; but the question is not settled whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence -- whether much that is glorious -- whether all that is profound -- does not spring from disease of thought -- from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect. They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who only dream by night. In their gray visions they obtain glimpses of eternity, and thrill, in waking, to find that they have been upon the verge of the great secret. In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. They penetrate, however rudderless or compassless, into the vast ocean of the ‘light ineffable’.” 89 likes