Start by marking “Eleonora” as Want to Read:
Eleonora

Read Book

Eleonora

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  613 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Eleonora is a short story by Edgar Allan Poe, first published in 1842 in Philadelphia in the literary annual The Gift. It is often regarded as somewhat autobiographical and has a relatively "happy" ending.
28 pages
Published (first published 1842)

To ask other readers questions about Eleonora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleonora

Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Beautiful prose is beautiful. I'm really glad this one ended on a happy ending.

Evelina
Sep 17, 2015 Evelina rated it really liked it
Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence--whether much that is glorious--whether all that is profound--does not spring from disease of thought--from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect.
Exina
Jun 24, 2014 Exina rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics

Of course, this story is significant due to the autobiographical aspects, but the least engaging story by Poe I’ve read so far. The writing style is sentimental and pompous. I don’t think I will read the other two related stories, Morella and Ligeia.

мεgяεร.
Aug 29, 2015 мεgяεร. rated it liked it
Shelves: gothic-horror
Coloro che sognano a occhi aperti avvertono molte cose che sfuggono a chi sogna soltanto di notte.
Edlira Dibrani
Aug 02, 2015 Edlira Dibrani rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading Allen Poe. This one was fantastic, looking forward to reading others also. 4

``They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those whodream only by night.``

<3 <3 FANTASTIC <3 <3
David Doyle
Sep 16, 2013 David Doyle rated it liked it
Interesting, a Poe story that isn't rife with mental illness, abuse or murder. It's a love story. The most interesting part, to me, was the description of the valley where the narrator lives along with the girl he loves. The valley changes to reflect their relationship and it implies a lot without the narrator having to explicitly say. Being a Poe story, it's not all 'happily ever after' for this couple and the valley reflects what happens.

The end is kinda unexpected and abrupt, if this is what
Sarthak Parajulee
Jan 13, 2014 Sarthak Parajulee rated it liked it
Is it possible for something to be very beautiful, heart-touching, and yet creepy? Apparently, yes.
Elizabeth
Jul 17, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Poe. How can it possibly be anything but awesome?
Neelam Babul
Apr 06, 2016 Neelam Babul rated it it was amazing
A nice romantic love story with a happy ending. I am sure even if volumes were written up with the same story none would be able to compare with the words and amazing skill that Poe writes. His short stories have the power to awaken your deepest emotions.

Another masterpiece everyone should read.
Hayle
Apr 04, 2016 Hayle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This piece was absolutely beautiful!
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Μία ιστορία με έντονα αυτοβιογραφικά στοιχεία του Poe -όπως και πολλές άλλες ιστορίες του- που δεν γίνεται να μην αγαπήσεις για την αλήθεια και το συναίσθημα που πηγάζει από αυτήν. Η Ελεονόρα του και τα μυστικά πίσω από την ύπαρξή της σε μαγεύουν και η ιστορία της μένει μέσα σου για πάντα με μια νοσταλγική, ρομαντική διάσταση, δίνοντας άλλη διάσταση στον ορισμό του "ευτυχισμένοθ τέλους" που μπορεί -τελικά- να έχει χιλιάδες προεκτάσεις.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
A beautiful story, with an autobiographical touch. It revolves around the question- is it ok to fall in love after the death of your first love.? The narrator gives a promise to his first love that he won't love another girl after her death. She continues to make her presence felt after death. In the end, she herself approves of his second love. A simple story,nothing big about it. Enjoyable.
Williams
Sep 02, 2015 Williams rated it really liked it
"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence—whether much that is glorious- whether all that is profound—does not spring from disease of thought—from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect. They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. In their gray visions they obtain glimpses of eternity, and thrill, in awakening, to find that they have been upon the v ...more
Natasha P.
May 07, 2016 Natasha P. rated it really liked it
Increíble, por primera vez leo un final feliz para Edgar (aunque su verdadero final no es muy feliz o no se sabe) y digo para Edgar porque estoy segurísima que el escribió esta historia porque algo bueno le había pasado, y me alegro mucho porque sus descripciones son esplendidas y sus rimas aun mas.
Lisa James
Jan 20, 2012 Lisa James rated it liked it
Shelves: 1001-books-list
This was a real love story with a fairy tale feel, a complete change from his works of mystery & terror. I am SO glad I read this :) It shows in the end that love does indeed conquer all, & that love forgives as well. I never knew Poe could write like this!
Susan
Oct 19, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, almost too much so.
Aimen
May 05, 2014 Aimen rated it it was amazing
"She had been made perfect in loveliness only to die..."
One of the surprisingly lighter short stories of Edgar Allan Poe. There aren't any brutal murders, massacres, and dark-bloody gore. There is a twist of happy eloquence in his writing towards the beginning then the darker, hauntingly beautiful writing towards the end.Eleonara is a short story about love and loss. It is told in the eyes of a broken man, and the writing really gets to you. It was a quick read, a couple of pages of emotions spl
Dean MacKinnon-Thomson
Jun 16, 2013 Dean MacKinnon-Thomson rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
An slightly autobiographical piece by Poe, where he explores his own deep personal guilt over the fact he has considered other women for love in his life.

In this piece, a piece with a relatively happy ending (which makes a pleasant change of pace for lovers of Poe, Gothic and romance) - we find a young couple.

The story follows an unnamed narrator who lives with his cousin and aunt in "The Valley of the Many-Colored Grass," an idyllic paradise full of fragrant flowers, fantastic trees, and a "R
Dejan
Feb 01, 2014 Dejan rated it really liked it
A beautiful story about love and loss, quite different from Poe's other works. What I liked most about it was the way it was written. Sure, every Poe's piece is masterfully written, but this one was special in its own way. Take the imagery for example, and how easy it is to envision the Valley of the Many-Colored Grass and how it later loses its beauty after Eleonora's death: "And the lulling melody that had been softer than the wind-harp of Aeolus and more divine than all save the voice of Eleo ...more
Maan
Apr 01, 2014 Maan rated it liked it
A short (creepy) story about a guy falling in love with his cousin. They live together for so long that they develop that feeling. After years, Eleonora gets sick. As she's dying, she confesses that she's afraid her lover will find love after her so he vows to never wed after her. Years pass by after her death, And the guy moves out of his hometown to a "strange place" where he meets someone else and falls in love. And Eleonora's spirit blesses him by not haunting him.

I didn't feel any connectio
Advocatus Diaboli
Jan 04, 2016 Advocatus Diaboli rated it it was amazing
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. In their gray visions they obtain glimpses of eternity, and thrill, in awakening, to find that they have been upon the verge of the great secret. In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil."

^_^
Pedro Santana
Jun 06, 2016 Pedro Santana rated it liked it
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."

Great imagery and emotion-evoking style, different from what I expected from a Poe story I picked randomly. I had to re-read the ending because I couldn't accept that there was a happy ending.
Brenda Suarez
Cautivadora.

En esta ocasión una historia más amena aunque ciertamente triste con su trasfondo de romance. Nunca me cansare del estilo de escritura de Allan Poe, simplemente perfecto.

…y no había nada más dulce, salvo la voz de Eleonora.
Mel
Si Poe le da nombre de mujer a un cuento, es que esa mujer no acaba la narración viva. Esta historia, con todos esos sutiles tonos autobiográficos, es más ligera, más dulce y más ¿feliz? de lo habitual, pero no por ello menos oscura.
Sammi
Feb 09, 2016 Sammi rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A beautiful story, full of rich description. Also contains a number of good quotes, my favourite being: "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who only dream by night."
Evelyn
Feb 05, 2014 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
This is the first romance story I've ever read from EAP. I love it. It is all about true love and has a happy ending, even though it has death as almost every EAP story.
Alice Herondale
Jun 22, 2016 Alice Herondale rated it really liked it
"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence"
♡Ann  Matalines♡
May 18, 2016 ♡Ann Matalines♡ rated it it was amazing
Ebster Davis
Jul 24, 2015 Ebster Davis rated it really liked it
I think the point of this one is that, as powerful as romantic love is, it's temporal. What do you think?
Rarufu
  • Hermann und Dorothea
  • The Trial For Murder
  • دشمنان
  • In a Grove
  • I, Cthulhu, or, What’s a Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing in a Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9′ S, Longitude 126° 43′ W)?
  • Rappaccini's Daughter
  • Strange Jest: A Short Story
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” 7367 likes
“Men have called me mad; but the question is not settled whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence -- whether much that is glorious -- whether all that is profound -- does not spring from disease of thought -- from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect. They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who only dream by night. In their gray visions they obtain glimpses of eternity, and thrill, in waking, to find that they have been upon the verge of the great secret. In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. They penetrate, however rudderless or compassless, into the vast ocean of the ‘light ineffable’.” 124 likes