A Small Miracle

A Small Miracle

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  32 reviews
This is a Christmas miracle like no other, with such richness in image and
story that children will return to it again and again" "(Booklist,"
starred review).
The wooden figures in a Christmas crè che come to life to save a poor old
woman in this truly original, deeply moving contemporary parable. Told with 96
pictures by Peter Collington, the master of the wordless story, thi...more
Published September 10th 2002 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published October 2nd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Small Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Small Miracle

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
137th out of 622 books — 807 voters
The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
85th out of 125 books — 208 voters

More lists with this book...

Clare Cannon
I LOVE this story in pictures without words, it makes me joyfully teary every time... it's a present-day Christmas story about the message of Christmas.
Ellen Bankhead
This is one of my all time favorite books. Highly recommended.
LLash
The wordless story "A Small Miracle" by Peter Collington was a book I've read for the first time that was wordless. In fact, at first I forgot it was supposed to be a wordless book and I was confused. I then had to start over and really focus on the story through the illustrations. Speaking of illustrations, I felt they were well-done enough to understand the story and what happened throughout the story, however, I really did not like the drawing of the woman, the main character. I felt as thoug...more
Courtney Turpen
A small miracle is wordless book and a story about a small elderly lady. She wakes up one morning and she goes to her cabinets to look for some food. Come to find out she has nothing there to eat. She goes to town to play her accordion and make a little cash to get some food at the market. When she is on the sidewalk playing her instrument some man steals her money and takes it away. She chases him to the church and sees him coming out the doors stealing more money. She knocks over his bike and...more
Emily Allen
Reviewed by "The Horn Book" as being the "Most original Christmas book of the year"...I would have to agree! Being a wordless picture book, the illustrations were everything. At first I was taken a back by the almost faceless characters, but Peter Collington brought these characters to life in other ways.

The story follows a woman who lives in a trailer, for lack of a better word. When she wakes up one morning to a growling stomach, she checks the bread box only to see that's it's empty. She open...more
Kathryn Cunningham
An old, lonely woman wakes on Christmas Eve with no food and no money. After all her efforts to earn some extra cash in town fail, she turns toward home, despondent but still with enough goodness in her heart to stop a thief from robbing a small church and tenderly reassemble the nativity set he had knocked over. When she collapses on the snowy road back to her home, the figures in the church's nativity set magically come to life, eager to return the kindness she so willingly showed to them. Tog...more
Stephanie Croaning
This is a quirky little book that kind of grows on you! It features an accordion player, a thief, and a nativity that comes to life. It starts out very depressing, and then is almost comical as the small nativity characters in the church come to life to help the old woman.

So what did I like about the book? I love wordless picture books, and the illustrations in this one are beautifully detailed and tell the story well. I like that it is different and original. And quite frankly, you should read...more
Jenn
I'm just going to say this up front... be prepared for the tears. A heartbreaking wordless book that shows us that Christmas isn't about the the tree, presents, party, hustle and bustle of the season.
Lora Hall
This book tells a wonderful story without saying a word. I was amazed at the author's ability to communicate emotions through pictures. This is a wonderful book for children when teaching them about giving and receiving. During the group read aloud the other students in my group felt that this story contributes to building hope in humanity. The old woman is at a dead end and has not options in sight. Even though she is suffering she still shows care for others, this leads to her life being saved...more
Missy
I absolutely love this cute little story. It's told entirely through illustrations without words and would be the perfect addition to any family's Christmas book collection. I read this a few years ago and tried to purchase it through Amazon for Christmas this past year. I just got notification it should be here before May. :) A couple of times since ordering, Amazon has given me the option to cancel the order. But this book is worth waiting for and I'm anxious to add it to our library.
Blair Herron
one of the five picture books:

I liked this book, especially the part where the old woman was being taken care of when she became sick by the people in the nativity set that she had so diligently looked after. The illustrations were great in the fact that they showed every step that happened in the plot, and were very realistic. They would definitely help a beginning reader to put the plot line of a story together through the pictures that show the story line.
Trace
Luke and I "read" this book together this evening. Well, we didn't actually read it because there are no words. But the story is so well done, there are no need for words.

This book literally made me cry. Such a beautiful story of a Christmas miracle. Luke says we must read this EVERY Christmas. Looks like this will need to be purchased to add to our library.

Unanimous decision between the Lukester and I: this is a 5 star book

I would love to have this Christmas book on our shelves but sadly it is out of print. The story is all told through pictures and is so cute. The nativity comes to life help a poor old woman. The illustrations are wonderful and it is so fun to see the wise men shopping in the grocery, Joseph fixing floor boards and Mary comforting the sick woman.

This illustrator has done a number of other books as well. I am going to have to find a few others.
Kate
Rare is the book that can say so much without saying a word. A Small Miracle is a beautiful book composed entirely of pictures. It follows the Christmas Even journey of a poor gypsy woman who is saved from certain starvation by a true Christmas miracle.

Every picture is a work of art, and the story is so beautifully moving and sweet. You are doing yourself a disservice if you miss this one. For kids of all ages.
Kirei
This is a wordless book for Christmas. An old woman is literally rescued by figures from a nativity scene.... They drag her home from the snow where she has passed out, they go shopping and fix her a Christmas dinner....

I think is supposed to be a warm-hearted book, but I just found it creepy. My six year old son didn't understand it at all. "Why are they so small?"
Doree Burt
At first I thought this picture book was just kind of creepy-weird. But it was a gift from one of my favorite families. So I decided to keep at it and found the beauty in its message(s). Still not a favorite, but there are some profound messages and parallels on the pages.
Ruth
Beautiful story told completely through pictures of an old, poor woman who sacrifices to help rebuild a nativity that is damaged at a local church, and the miracle that happens to her because of it.

My son loved narrating this story.
Claire
Beautiful nativity story told all in pictures. A great thing to share at Christmas when all the busy-ness and consuming can end up burying the real meaning of the holiday.
Kaye
Absolutely loved this wordless graphic novel of a Christmas miracle for one old gypsy woman. The frames with Mary are absolutely fantastic and touching. Love, love, love.
Lois Siemens
No text...a story in pictures...my favorite Christmas book....for now
Natalie Cottam
This was my favorite new Christmas book this year. It's the wordless telling of how a tiny nativity springs to life to help a woman. It's the best!
April
What a sweet, wonderful, wordless book! This is one I'd like to add to my collection someday!
Paulette
A sweet wordless picture book that tell a Christmas story of kindness shown and rewarded.
Kathryn
A story without words. Not the easiest to follow, but a true miracle story....
Megan B
I had been warned that it was weird. It was, indeed. And depressing.
Marni
Wordless story my kids enjoyed looking at over and over again.
Terrah
This one was too weird... ahem.. contemporary... for me.
Alicia
Neat book. The images implant themselves upon the psyche.
Betty Davidson
A unique, wordless story. Lovely and meaningful.
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2011 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Kristen
Shelves: holiday, art
Unique. Intricate artwork. Slightly quirky. Touching.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Midnight Circus Clever Cat The Tooth Fairy The Angel And The Soldier Boy ON CHRISTMAS EVE