Start by marking “Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott” as Want to Read:
Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott

Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  2,543 ratings  ·  218 reviews

"I am not going to apologize for speaking the name of Jesus. . .If I have to sacrifice everything . . . I will." -Rachel Scott

The Columbine tragedy in April 1999 pierced the heart of our country. We later learned that the teenage killers specifically targeted Rachel Scott and mocked her Christian faith on their chilling, homemade videotapes. Rachel Scott died for her fai

Paperback, 10th Anniversary Edition, 224 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Thomas Nelson (first published April 20th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rachel's Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel's Tears

Kristin (KC)
*5 Stars*

I read this book a few months back and somehow couldn't find the words to properly review it. Many parts left me feeling depleted, solemn, and disturbed. But I was also immensely inspired.

Rachel's Tears — a heartbreaking but enlightening telling of the Columbine massacre — provides you with an uncomfortable front row seat to the horrific story behind the story. This touching memoir focuses on a young girl's journey to faith, and her unfortunate, untimely, and heinous execution for embr
Stephanie
Stephanie Jones
Biography

I am still speechless after reading this book. It really hit home and made me realize how cruel the world can be. Rachel Joy Scott was an ordinary, fun-loving teenager, but she had a major strike against her- she was a Christian. Two of her fellow male classmates constantly ridiculed her, and Rachel even lost friends because of her beliefs. In this book, the people who knew her best share the final days of Rachel’s life through their thoughts and her own personal thoughts
Tami
Eight years after the Columbine shooting we are still blaming gun control, violent video games and other such media for now the Virginia Tech shooting. As Rachel Scott's father stated during a testimony to Congress, "much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves." If we continue to ignore God and our own souls, we will keep blaming our self-produced laws and media.
Troy
I almost want to label this as fiction. As a Christian myself, I have no probllem with stories of people who truly act the Christian way, but in more fact-laden books, like Dave Cullen's investigative account of the whole incident, it was revealed that Rachel's incident never happened. I suppose people believe what they want to, and my heart goes out to her parents, who felt that her death should be immortalized somehow, in the midst of a senseless act of violence.
Jan 24, 2008 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially women, especially in middle or high school
I always have one of these on hand because I always end up giving it away. Rachel's story really moves me. The way she wasn't afraid to be different. The way she stood for her faith. It wasn't about April 20, 1999. What was so amazing was how she lived her life everyday. She's an inspiration.
84-The_enlightment_of_Doctor_Grace_part5_Jesus
"God is going to use me to reach young people. I don't know how, I don't know when..." - Rachel Joy Scott
Rachel's Tears by Beth Nimmo is about Columbine martyr Rachel Joy Scott. Various people who knew her write about that tragic day and the type of person Rachel was.
Her brother Craig was also there but survived by pretending to be dead. He got up and led people out even though his two best friends were killed. Rachel was eating lunch with a friend when she was shot and killed. Rachel was just l
Winter Thibodeaux
I loved this book. I finally started a prayer journal because of this book. This girl's faith, when she was the same age as me, in the face of adversity is SO inspiring. It revealed exactly where I was lacking in my walk with God. It's like shining a spotlight on just the right area in your heart that you haven't completely given to God. EVERY Christian should read this if they want a role model that shows what a TRUE Christian is. When asked what religion they are, people will almost automatica ...more
Kristin Bateman
I do not give this a rating of merely 2 stars very lightly. To take Rachel's story and to rate it so low would be a travesty and diservice to her memory. However, to me, this was not Rachel's story, but her grieving parents' request to bring Christ to the classroom.

I am a public educator. I have seen "Rachel's Challenge." However, in the final pages, both of her parents state that including religion back into public education might have prevented this.

I'm sorry, but it's not that simple.

And for
Brittany
Her family came to speak at my school, and while I feel sorry about the tragedy that was Columbine. I found all of this to be a work of bullshit. A hopeful load of crap that seems very fabricated. It is a tragedy these people died, but that's it.
Melissa Bond
I have gone back & forth on whether or not to review this book. It is a deeply personal reveal of mourning for Rachel Scott's family. I mean no disrespect to the family in my opinion of this book, but I found it difficult to read - and believe.

In the years following the tragedy of Columbine, more information has come out about each of the victims. What has been revealed of Rachel Scott is that she was a target of the two gunman for her beliefs, and her reputation that conflicted with them.
Lauren
Shots rang out on the campus of Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado the morning of April 20, 1999. Rachel Joy Scott was eating lunch with a friend, Richard Castaldo, just outside the school. She was shot and injured. The gunman, a fellow student, asked her if she still believed in God. She answered “You know I do.” She was shot again, at point blank range to her head. Fatal.

After her death, journals Rachel had kept were found both in her home and in the backpack she had been wearing tha
Jacquelyn Ehrle
May 26, 2014 Jacquelyn Ehrle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christains
Recommended to Jacquelyn by: English Class
Jackie
Ummm, I guess it was okay. I did like the columbine exerts and the forgiveness aspect, but it was REALLY over the top preachy and "Jesus-y." Even being religious myself, I found it too much. I skipped TONS of it and skimmed lots of it.
Melody
I'd give this book 10 stars if I could.

I picked this up at a giveaway on Saturday, and finished reading it on Sunday.

The reason I loved this book is because this 17-year-old was consumed by her Lord and allowed Him to work in her, and above all, wasn't too afraid or 'stuck up' to be able to show her light to cast-outs and kids who thought no one loved them. It was very humbling to read how Rachel continually sought God and His will for her, always keeping her eyes upward. Public school must've
Danielle
I had already heard the story of the amazing Rachel Scott before reading this book, as Rachel's Challenge visited my school and I've read "The Journals of Rachel Scott." So, her inspiring story was not new to me, yet this book gave me a fresh perspective. Her parents both wrote very eloquently, clearly demonstrating their love for their late daughter and her undying love for Christ. I would recommend this book to anyone, especially someone who is interested in real-life inspirational Christian s ...more
Heather
Mary Ortega
Book Cover Review: Rachel’s Tears
The book that I read for this project is “Rachel’s Tears” by Beth Nimmo and Darrell Scott. The book is about the Columbine Shootings that took place on April 20, 1999. The book’s main focus is on Rachel Joy Scott and her family’s experiences with the tragedy. Rachel was killed in the shootings and her brother Craig was greatly traumatized. This is also about how Rachel Joy Scott had found a deep relationship with God. Her kindness and compassion reached out to ma
Ellie
I read Rachel’s Tears and I picked this book because the librarian said it was really good.

The title relates to the story because Rachel was big into writing stuff in journals, so in one of her journals she drew a picture of herself with thirteen tears coming out of her eyes and turning into drops of blood. And on the day of the Columbine shooting, 13 people were killed.

The purpose of this book is to tell Rachel’s story and how God worked through her and helped many people before the shooting.

I
J.E.B. Spredemann
Excellent book about Rachel Joy Scott, a Christian teen that was murdered at Columbine High School. I read this book many years ago and I loved it at the time. I haven't read it recently, but my sixteen-year-old daughter reads it every once in awhile. She really enjoys the book. I recommend this book to everyone. You'll want to pass it on to a young person. Just be sure to have the tissues nearby because it'll probably cause a bit of tear shed. I also recommend She Said Yes about Cassie Bernal.
Kenzie Baker

The book Rachel’s Tears, by Beth Nimmo and Darrell Scott takes place in 1999 when the Columbine shooting happened in Littleton, Colorado.This non-fiction book explains Rachel’s life and how religious, nice and caring she was. How religious Rachel was actually made religion one of the many themes in this book. She was really close to God, which some people would think is impossible. However, Rachel was pretty much best friends with God. She went to Him with everything and he gave her everything
Ashley Coker
This is one of the most touching books I have ever laid eyes on! I actually bought for a friend for her birthday, but I just had to read, so I stayed up all night that night and read the entire thing in one sitting so I could give it to her the next day. I had goosebumps reading it, I so appreciate this book. I included a note with it, challenging her to pass on the book when she finished, this book should be read by everyone, no doubt.
Anna-Marie
Nov 19, 2007 Anna-Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who heard of the school shootings.
This is a heart wrenching book but it is a must read. In the book, they have put lots of bits of Rachels diary in there, and songs that she wrote. There are also chapters from her mom and dad, about how they loved her and about there look on the school shootings. I own this book and Rachel's Smiles, which is the third book. Rachel's Smiles is about how her story changed the world. I really want you guys to read this, it is great.
Taleah Toso
This nonfiction book"Rachel's Tears" by Beth Nimmo and Darrell Scott has a theme of strongly believing in God. This novel is about the tragic death of Rachel Scott in the Columbine High School massacre. It says a lot about how strong of a Christian Rachel was, and her relationship with God. "Rachel had an extremely intimate relationship with God" (Scott 77). This book is pretty interesting because it provides little passages from her journal and it says a lot about her. However, Rachel did strug ...more
Ariel Clark
Rachel's Tears is about the first victim of the Columbine massacre and her spiritual journey with God. Rachel's Tears is told from the parents point of view. The parents discover things about Rachel that they never knew through her journals. Rachel wrote letter to God in her journals. She vented her struggles and frustrations that come with everyday life.

I recommend this book to anyone who want to know more about the Columbine High Massacre and who want to know more about Christianity. I also r
Stacy Rancourt
This book had a huge impact on my life. Rachel's spirituality inspired me greatly. After I read the book, I began writing letters to God in my journal just as she had. My letters to God have brought me to a whole new level spiritually, and it is all because of the influence of this authentic 17-year-old girl who just wanted God to use her to make a difference in the world. She sure made a difference in my life, and I'm sure she has inspired countless others as well. Her parents also inspire me t ...more
Katie
Rachel's Tears was an amazing read. In the book her parent's talk about their beloved daughter who was murdered April 20, 1999 during the Columbine School Shooting. Rachel was a Christian, but after her death when they began reading her journals her family learned just how dependent on God she was. She left behind 5 journals filled with prayers, poetry, and short stories of her life, and this book offers a glimpse at them. Rachel mentioned in her journals that she would touch millions of lives s ...more
Jemma
I had heard so much commotion about this book and I knew it would have to be put on my list of 'to read' only I wish I had read it sooner! Rachel inspired me in such a magnificent way, her ability to speak to God in a way I never even thought was possible really made me look at my own faith! It really was beautiful and I will most certainly read it again sometime! Please read this, you can make up your own mind about it but it won't waste your time!! God can love you in a special way that Rachel ...more
Krissy
I picked this book up thinking it was going to be mostly pages from Rachel's journal, and some thoughts about her and Columbine from other sources.

Mostly it's a book on her parent's opinion of God and religion, what's wrong with our society (lack of religion), and a few of Rachel's journal excerpts tossed in.

I'm not feeling less enthused about this book because of their view point. I was just looking more for a journal type book.

Despite my lower rating of the book, it was just what I needed. I
Kylee Morris
In April of 1999 a tragedy happened at Columbine High School. Two Students came into the school killing and injuring other students with shot guns. Rachel was a girl who was shot and killed because of her faith in God. Rachel had a journal explaining her faith. This book reveals how deep Rachel's faith really was. You will also experience Rachel's journey of life through her journal.

I felt the book, "Rachel's Tears," was very emotional. I felt this book was emotional because of how horrific an
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
In a few days, on April 20th, it will be the tenth anniversary of the Columbine tragedy. Two boys, armed with guns and bombs, killed 12 students and a teacher before turning the guns on themselves. One of those students was Rachel Joy Scott.

Rachel was not the most popular, or the smartest, or the prettiest - but she had a light shining within her. This light was the love and personal relationship she with the Lord. This light was Jesus living inside her.

Not until after her death did her parents
  • The Journals of Rachel Scott: A Journey of Faith at Columbine High
  • Gianna: Aborted...and Lived to Tell about It
  • Prisoners of Hope: The Story of Our Captivity and Freedom in Afghanistan
  • She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall
  • Let's Roll!: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage
  • No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine
  • Unlikely Angel: The Untold Story of the Atlanta Hostage Hero
  • Murder by Family: The Incredible True Story of a Son's Treachery & a Father's Forgiveness
  • Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Revolutionaries Who Changed Their World: Fearing God, Not Man
  • Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand
  • In the Presence of My Enemies
  • Columbine: A True Crime Story
  • Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board
  • Churched: One Kid's Journey Toward God Despite a Holy Mess
  • Revolution in World Missions
  • The Savage My Kinsman
  • Extreme Devotion
The Journals of Rachel Scott: A Journey of Faith at Columbine High

“What if you were to die today... Tomorrow is not a promise but a chance.” 37 likes
“God is going to use me to reach the young people, I don’t know how, I don’t know when.” 26 likes