The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy: Volume One

The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy: Volume One

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Jeanine Berry, FictionFactor.com, author of Dayspring Dawning and Daysprint DestinyThe Complete Guide lives up to its name and goes beyond the ordinary. Written by new and established voices of Science Fiction and Fantasy, Alchemy With Words offers something for writers at all levels. Its sage advice will help you avoid many amateur mistakes. Explore World Building, Religi...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Dragon Moon Press (first published 2002)

K.M. Weiland
Good reference guides for fantasy writers are few and far between. I know, because I’ve pawed through most of the options. I took a shot in the dark in purchasing Alchemy With Words, volume one of The Complete GuideTM to Writing Fantasy. Published by a small press and written by a collection of fantasy authors who haven’t much collective experience or acclaim among them, the book has much to recommend it—and much not to.

On the plus side, this is one of the most varied and complete offerings I’v...more
Grace
It took me practically forever to work my way through this book. In this case, it was a good thing for it gave me many ideas on how to develop my world, story, and characters.

The Complete Guide To Writing Fantasy vol. 1 was a really good introduction on the sorts of things that go into writing. The topics the authors covered were a bit about writing (6 chapters worth) and details of a typical fantasy world setting, such as clothing, food, fighting, etc. (9 chapters). At the end there was a chap...more
Jenn
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***
I found this book to be excellent. It brings together a variety of writers with different takes and views on how to write things. Most of the writers are entertaining and make you want to keep reading as you learn more about their ways of doing things.

I only found fault with one chapter in the book, that by Milena Benini in which I felt she wrote in a condescending manner, contradicted other sources on her topic and included absolutely no source list...more
James
This is the kind of book on writing that I find most useful. It has chapters on quite a few specific aspects of writing (e.g. world-building, plot construction, research, designing religions, etc.), a few that apply to any fiction but most specific to this genre; the content is concrete and down-to-earth without being formulaic. Although there's a fair amount of overlap between fantasy and science fiction (and some stories fall into both categories at once), they are distinct and this book is de...more
Marta
Oct 10, 2011 Marta rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aspiring writers, I guess
So. It took me a long time to read this so called complete guide of fantasy writing, mainly due to taking huge breaks while reading something more entertaining.
Nothing really bad to say about this book, really. It covers all the basics, I guess. Has some tips and tricks, references all around internetz that may be outdated now, but still good start for one's research.
Some things I did know already, some seemed rather from Captain Obvious arsenal.
Some of the authors wrote in an annoying style, ma...more
Ann
Jun 23, 2008 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: how-to
I wish I could give half stars... this is really a 3 and a half book rather than a 4 star book.

There is a lot of good information between the covers, but some of it I found trite, like the entire humor section. The religion section makes the fallacy that religion isn't rational and that its either/or when it comes to religion and science/rationality.

I also got tired of the "And we did this in our novel..." bits.

But when it was good, it was *very* good, and is certainly a decent book for the begi...more
Nic
This book is fan-freaking-tastic. It has great broad basics, like a chapter on world-building and one on race creation, plus a focus on medieval techniques, technology, food, and so on that was quite helpful to me, though it might not apply to everyone. It also has nice tips on writing combat, magic systems, and even some plot advice - and it's a really fun read.
Abigail
Generally speaking authors should stay away from "craft books" and instead read their genre. I found this book quite handy in terms of day to day life in midevil life. I especially liked the list of diseases, described the cause, how it was transmitted and the symptoms.
Michelle Roberts
It's a good book, and it would be a higher rating except for the plethora of typos.
Tara Dobbs
Tara Dobbs marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Plaid
Plaid marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Mihaela
Mihaela is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
JacQuelyne A. Lewis
JacQuelyne A. Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lawrence Mann
Lawrence Mann marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jun 25, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Meredith Mansfield
Meredith Mansfield marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Stacy Buck
Stacy Buck marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Fred Tyre
Fred Tyre is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Danse Macabre: Close Encounters with the Reaper From Stage Door Shadows The Machine Who Was Also a Boy (Pandora's Paradoxes 1) The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2012 The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy: Alchemy with Words