Start by marking “ExecTV” as Want to Read:
ExecTV

ExecTV

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Buy directly from the publisher: $12.00 Fast-forwarding Reality TV to its logical extreme, an unemployed documentary filmmaker extraordinaire arranges to have an execution broadcast live on pay-per-view television, in as flamboyant a form as his bizarre vision can conjure to amuse the masses.

Convicted of the serial killings and mutilations of a number of South Beach gay r
trade paperback, 194 pages
Published 2005 by ENC Press

To ask other readers questions about ExecTV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ExecTV

Brittany
When Randal Snell, also known as the ‘Killer Castrator’, winds up on death row for castrating gay men, his lawyer announces via CNN that his client holds the right to choose his method of execution. Upon hearing this, documentary filmmaker Dov Montana sees an opportunity to create what he claims to be the ‘revolution’ of reality television.
Montana approaches an old colleague, Lerz Feignold, who runs a pay-per-view reality television company, ‘Tude Entertainment. Feingold, although apprehensive
Melody Feldman
Exec TV was an interesting and well written take on society’s dependence on television and the obsession with the aptly named reality TV.

The story follows “genius documentary filmmaker” (his words) Dov Montana as he attempts to put together a brilliant and disturbing reality television show called “ExecTv”, a televised execution of a notorious death-row inmate.

Montana enlists his old friend, Lerz Feingold, a successful but gullible producer for “Tude Entertainment to help him put together this
Kelara
Exec TV is the amusing story of an egotistical filmmaker's quest to create something new and revolutionary. He teams up with several ridiculous characters to have an execution broadcast on television. It's an interesting story dealing with the realities of...well, reality TV. As a society America has become more and more immune to the violence we see on an everyday basis. Exec TV is a criticism of the way television is broadcast today, and where it may be headed if we aren't careful.
Kmurphy
In David Brensilver’s novel ExecTV, readers are given an in-your-face look at the dependency American’s have on both television and other human’s problems.

Dov Montana, a self-proclaimed “genius documentary filmmaker”, is inspired to create a reality television show after hearing about Randall Snell, aka the “Killer Castrator”.

Snell, convicted of mutilating and murdering several members of the South Beach gay community, is represented by his laywer, Conrad Rangefolk Thistle III. Thistle believes
Edward
ExecTV by David A. Brensilver is a sharp satire of reality TV, cable news, and the culture of mass media. It tells the story of Dov Montana, an unemployed documentary film maker, who, while watching a news story about a man on death-row, decides to create a reality TV show about an execution. Montana is disgusted by the way cable TV channels turn news into sensational entertainment, and by the pleasure people take from it. He thinks that a reality TV show about a man’s execution would be so grot ...more
Natascha
Oh, America…how we crave new waves of entertainment. ExecTV certainly delivers, along with the mirror up to our hypocrisy. When the ‘Killer Castrato’ decides that his execution should be done his way, filmmaker Dov Montana sees the opportunity to revolutionize reality TV. Alongside and old colleague, Lerz Feignolf, who runs a pay-per-view reality tv company, Montana sets out to capture the ‘Killer Castrator’s’ journey on death row. The story is nothing short of amazing. Brensilver highlights the ...more
Sadie E.
I recently received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway and was deeply intrigued by the plot. The undertones and dark, cynical humor amused me greatly. The parallels to today's society and how it gives way to human nature, how we subconsciously—or quite knowingly but refusing to admit—gravitate toward the morbid, disgusting side of human nature.

The reason why I gave this book only three stars is because I felt the colloquial stutters were a bit excessive with Lerz and distracted from the me
Brendan
David Brensilver has created a brilliant but pained critique of media and culture in the postmodern era in ExecTV. It is brilliant because of its insights into human motivations; and pained (and painful), because those motivations, in ExecTV, are varied only by degree, running the gamut from malice to ignorance. The postmodern world to the postmodern novelist is chaotic and repugnant--yet worth saving. This is a novel not for the faint-of-heart, but readers who are willing to be challenged, frig ...more
Lila Brantley
I received this through First Reads and wasn't too thrilled with it. The only way I was able to continue reading this to the end was the author's stark description of society's obsession with entertainment; so obsessed that news and entertainment are overlapping. The author uses incredible language to communicate these thoughts and for that alone it is worth the read.

The book relies heavily on dialogue between the characters. It was severely redundant. For instance, the main character dreams up
Waven
This book never quite lived up to its potential, I think, but did offer a good look at our love affair with "reality TV" programs and cumulative desensitization. As a satire, development and insight into the characters takes a backseat, which I think could have been used to greater effect, and the writing itself sometimes put me off through sheer volume of aggressive description. After a few pages of Dov Montana's pacing, drinking, and smoking, I wanted to break out in hives. For whatever reason ...more
Shelby

This was a great thriller. I haven't read a book that kept me this captivated in a long time. The plot was intriguing and kept me guessing. It was a little hard to get into at the beginning because I didn't read one big chunk in the first sitting, so I found myself having to go back and figure out who was who. Great book!
Hoor Alsayed
Hoor Alsayed marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Beau Spangler
Beau Spangler marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2012
Roxy
Roxy marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2012
John Apo
John Apo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2012
TC
TC marked it as to-read
Nicole Gay
Nicole Gay marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Katie Rose
Katie Rose marked it as to-read
Ali Sadonis
Ali Sadonis marked it as to-read
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Sharen
Sharen marked it as to-read
Tracy Holder
Tracy Holder marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Joe Sacher
Joe Sacher marked it as to-read
Yvette Kelley
Yvette Kelley marked it as to-read
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 next »