Start by marking “Vodka for Breakfast” as Want to Read:
Vodka for Breakfast

Vodka for Breakfast

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A saga of love, friendship, life, drugs, and opportunities almost lost on an ex-KGB company man who leads a seemingly decent immigrant’s life of quiet desperation in New York.

“The less people know about you, the longer you live” is the motto of Arkady Prikol — the antihero of this quirky, existential thriller — an aging Russian-Jewish émigré living an uneventful life on th
trade paperback, 266 pages
Published 2003 by ENC Press

To ask other readers questions about Vodka for Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vodka for Breakfast

Kimberly
If Vodka for Breakfast were set to a soundtrack, the music would flow surprisingly easy between sharp cello strings found in a car chasing scene from the likes of a Bourne Identity film, to the soft piano keys set as the background music to a favorite love story. In his novel, David Gurevich is able to stitch together the action and drama genres to weave a story of danger and love while exploring the possibility that even after these things cease to exist, the past still does.

I picked this book
Jiordan
The star of David Gurevich’s Vodka for Breakfast is Arkady Prikol, an elderly Russian Jew. In his attempt to run from the past (while also trying to solve the mystery of a man claiming to be his dead best friend), Prikol becomes a very likeable protagonist.

In Gurevich’s funny, curious thriller, Prikol lives an ordinary life in New York. He does well with the life he’s created, happy enough to be in it until Timur – the old friend who’s been dead for some twenty years – makes contact. The old ass
Melody Feldman
A elderly Russian-Jewish émigré goes on the run in an attempt to escape his past while trying to unravel the identity of a man claiming to be his long dead best friend in this funny and interesting thriller.

The protagonist of David Gurevich's "Vodka for Breakfast" Arkady Prikol is an elderly Russian-Jewish émigré living in Manhattan. Prikol lives a mundane life in New York, something he is happy about until he is contacted from his old friend, Timur, who has been dead for two decades.

Thrust ba
Trevor Trietsch
David Gurevich's Vodka for Breakfast grabs the reader by the lapel and heaves them through this magnetic novel; Gurevich interweaves fast-paced action, wistful romance, and sharp wit in a concoction that is so compelling, it seems to be laced with vodka!

Russian immigrant Arkady Prikol thought he could file his past away – a beautiful and mysterious woman named Lisa, a job with the KGB creating and testing powerful drugs – confining it to nightmares and drowning it in pills and booze. However, th
Kmurphy
Imagine being an old Russian Jew, living life peacefully on the Upper West Side of Manhattan and one day, your world is suddenly thrown upside down by a single phone call.

In David Gurevich’s Vodka for Breakfast, readers are thrown into dramatic waves of incidents one instant and are rescued on boats of laughter the next. Arkady Prikol, the main character of Gurevich’s novel, receives a phone call one day from a ghost of his past, claiming to be an old friend who died 20 years ago.

As Prikol attem
Tarun
Aug 27, 2009 Tarun marked it as to-read
The really fascinated me.

Caroline Åsgård
Now I just downloaded an excerpt here on Goodreads, which was only 11 pages - But I'd like to tell you my impression!
The story of the book seems okay, though the excerpt didn't really show that in my opinion. I think the book is more for male readers than women, but that's just my impression - Maybe if I read the entire book I'd get a different opinion. But I didn't think the storyline was bad!
So if you think it sounds interesting, I'd give it a shot.
Zorin
Jul 01, 2012 Zorin is currently reading it
You've missed the experience of living in the Soviet system? Never mind, it will return one way or another, meanwhile read David Gurevich and be prepared.
Lashonta
sorry wasn't feeling the book.
Kylie
Dec 28, 2011 Kylie added it
Was utter crap! I could not finish it.
Amir Atef
“The less people know about you, the longer you live”
firstly... I like this great quote from one of greatest novel i've read...
Prikol’s thoughts on the past – memories of friendship, love, and drug use – have the power to swallow up his present. His old life crashes into his new one, making our window into his average life that much more engaging. With all of that, the end appears to bring the story full-circle, providing good closure for Gurevich’s audience. Like its leading man, the novel its
Lee
This is not an entire book. Falsely presented here. It is poorly written excerpt. Don't bother.
Velvetink
Jun 16, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read
ebook pdf
Haha L'antibiotik
WELL, I HAVE ONLY STARTED BUT IT IS RIVETING..
Karthikaepuri
Nov 30, 2009 Karthikaepuri marked it as to-read
not yet!
Ankit Pardeshi
Ankit Pardeshi marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Pavel Lishin
Pavel Lishin marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Ajeet
Ajeet marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Tzoulia
Tzoulia marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Victor Eseigbe
Victor Eseigbe marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Fernando Ameghino
Fernando Ameghino marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Sid
Sid marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Deepu Pradeep
Deepu Pradeep marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Mahdi
Mahdi marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Savita
Savita marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Second Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow
  • Dangerous Road
  • Trouble on His Wings
  • My Isl@m: How Fundamentalism Stole My Mind---and Doubt Freed My Soul
  • A Hero's Journey (Tales of the Scarlet Knight, #1)
  • The Dagger of Isis
  • Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future
  • Life in a Marital Institution: Twenty Years of Monogamy in One Terrifying Memoir
  • The Sensationally Absurd Life and Times of Slim Dyson
  • Taboo's Child: An Erotic Novel
  • Gideon's Angel
  • Grand Ambition: An Extraordinary Yacht, the People Who Built It, and The Millionaire Who Can't Really Afford It
  • Walking In The Reign
David Gurevich is an American writer of Russian origin, the author of Travels with Dubinsky and Clive, Vodka For Breakfast, and From Lenin to Lennon. He currently lives in New York.

David Gurevich was born as Vyacheslav Gurevich in Kharkov, Ukraine in 1951. His father was an Air Force pilot and his mother a doctor. He was one of a few Jewish students on the Interpreter department of the Moscow Inst
More about David Gurevich...
From Lenin to Lennon: A Memoir of Russia in the Sixties Adult ADHD: What You Need to Know Outliers Drive: The Life Mover, How to Think Big and Do Great Outliers Drive: The life Mover How to Think Big and Do Great The Mantra

“The less people know about you, the longer you live” 2 likes