Start by marking “Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere” as Want to Read:
Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere

Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Infectious rhymes, sunny illustrations, and an array of baby animals make an irresistible page-turner for the youngest of listeners.

Little readers are invited to join these baby animals as they fly, swim, wiggle, and slide, all with the help of their mamas. But what these babies like best, of course, is spotting other baby animals! With the buoyant rhythms of Phyllis Root
Published March 10th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Flip, Flap, Fly!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flip, Flap, Fly!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
26th out of 281 books — 289 voters
Super Fred by Tony  GilbertOur Poems for Kids by Melinda KinsmanLouder Alex Louder by Natalie FinniganHide Alex Hide by Natalie FinniganSheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw
Preschool-Rhyming
10th out of 22 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Just darling! Here we find many baby animals exploring the world with their mamas. This would make a wonderful read-aloud, the words just trip off the tongue and the illustrations beg for interaction as each one gives a clue to the animal that you will find when you turn the page ;-) An especially good choice for mothers to read with their little ones.
Sara Jones
So, so, so sweet! This book makes my uterus ache. And the illustrations are too precious for words.
Saul
This book is perfect! Beautiful rhyme and rhythm; we learn about colors, animals, their locomotion and habitat. After every other page, the book prompts the child to shout out the next animal, which really gets them into the story. My daughter learned that snakes "wiggle wiggle!" from this book, and even after I convinced her that they say "hiss", she always adds a couple "wiggle wiggle"s to make sure I remember.

At the end, "the mama and the baby child kiss like this", which makes it a great bed
Lesley Dahlseng
I love a book that can be simple enough for an 18 month old to learn basic information, yet is creative enough for an adult to enjoy. 'Flip, Flap, Fly!' accomplishes this. This book reminds me of "Over in the Meadow' with its introduction of different creatures and what they are doing. We are taken from one baby animal exploring its surrounding to yet another, while the rhymes help us anticipate each page turn's new discovery. Very sweet. The illustrations are simple with soft and cheerful color ...more
Treasa
I love children's books that rhyme, so I was predisposed to like this book anyway. The illustrations are beautiful and very child-friendly. (I would use the word "cute" here to describe the illustrations, but that word is just not allowed when discussing a book.) The children in storytime really enjoyed figuring out what animal was going to come next based on rhyming ("What animal rhymes with 'house,'" I would ask them.) and little clues, such as the tail feathers of a duck peeking out on the ed ...more
Phyllis Root as usual has done a fabulous job. Flip, Flap, Fly! is fun and cute and perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. The action words with their alliteration and assonance roll off the tongue when read aloud. The page turn guessing setup allows children to practice predicting what comes next based on the little bit of the next animal they can see and the previous rhyme (promoting phonemic awareness to boot!). David Walker's acrylic illustrations have a soft glow to them that perfectly suit ...more
Margaret
Awesome! I knew I was in for something great when I found an author I loved from Ten Sleepy Sheep by Phyllis Root, possibly my favorite board book and illustrated by my other favorite board book Bears on Chairs and newly released Bears in Beds illustrated by David Walker. Seeing those two listed together, this book had to be great! We borrowed the book from the library and I've already reserved the board book to pick up at our local Barnes & Noble.

This story has it all that I like. One it's
Drew Graham
There are babies everywhere, and they all love to explore. As their mommies help them go along their way, they discover a lot of other baby creatures.

This is one of our favorites. It combines a lot of great things -- colorful illustrations, great rhymes, plenty of baby animals and a fun pattern and playful rhythm. There's a lot of detail to look at and interest little readers, but it's not overwhelming. It's fun to give each of the animals their own voice and follow their paths as they discover
Meg McGregor
Little ones will truly be able to identify with all the baby animals in this adorable book.

Not only is there a baby bird, but there is also a baby fish, snake, otter, duck, mouse, and even a baby child.

Delightfully lyrical text and soft illustrations add to the fun of this book!
Libby
I love the rhythm of the rhymes, the pictures, some of the nonsensical, yet descriptive words, and that it highlights sort of unique animals. My 1-year-old really likes this one too.
Robin
Aug 02, 2012 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: For Babies everywhere & toddlers and preschoolers too possibly!
So cute! Rhyming, and fun words like "skedaddle!" I checked this book out at the library for Payton (my niece) about a week a go. I had no idea how cute it would be. It's basically about baby animals of all kind moving the way they are to move (bird - fly, fish - swim, duck - paddle) with the help from their mommy. The cool thing I noticed was the neat little illustrations...each duo (mama & baby) see the next duo, which leads to the next page. For example, on the edge of the page with the f ...more
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it
As babies are building their vocabulary daily, rhyming text introduces the child to the playful sounds inherent in language. Flip, Flap, Fly! is a picture book featuring rhyming text and is a book that when used during shared reading will promote the child’s phonological awareness skills. As the child’s speech and language develops, the shared reading experience of a picture book such as this puts into practice the practice of singing and talking which engage the baby’s use of tongue, mouth and ...more
Dani Paiz
A good book for younger children from 0-3. The story rhymes and has a very bouncy rhythm to it. It would help phonological awareness and letter knowledge.
Eileen
Baby animals, the colors found in nature, sing-song text, page-turn surprises, and ending with a kiss for mother and child.
Mary Wirt
This cute picture book for toddlers introduces readers to different animals and their motions and actions.
Michelle
SUPER CUTE!!!! The animals made me go awww. The mammals could've used a little more detail
Ame
Awesome rhythm to this book about baby animals/hoo-mans.
Pamela
I loved this book! My twin boys-18 months- and I, took this book out of the library the other day, and love it. We've read it at bedtime, and they fully pay attention with all it's run rhyming. We could probably read it every night but we had to return it sometime! They both really enjoy it, and the mommy and the child part, where they "kiss kiss kiss", I especially enjoy because the boys love giving smooches at this point in the story and it's a good way to say good night. I would definitely re ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby Lap Time on 4/5/12 and 4/6/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at rec. center class visit on 3/20/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 4/11/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 4/12/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Brandi
A cute rhyming picture book of baby animals learning to move for the first time. Sweet illustrations.
Tara
I love this book!!! The illustrations are just adorable and the rhythm of the text is wonderful! It's a sweet book about baby learning to move around on their own and explore. They have their mama's help, of course. The text follows one animal and leads into the next. The illustrations on the lead in pages have the tail of the next animal in them so you can guess what animal is coming next. This is a great book, a definite keeper.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Phyllis Root offers an interactive read aloud that reinforces the importance of rhyming as a pre-reading skill. Throughout the tale, mother animals encourage their young to move with an appropriate action: "So the mama helps the baby fish splish splash swim through the weeks and the reeds in the green, green lake. 'Look!' blurps the baby fish. 'I see a ...'" Children will enjoy the rhyming game as the story progresses.
Goodworth1
A great book for older babies and young toddlers. The prose is lilting and fun for them to listen to, and the illustrations are wonderful as well. My 2.5 year old loved looking for the hidden baby animals and guessing what animal was being noticed. This was a sweet book and I highly recommend it for the littlest children. It was a big hit with my 11 month old and 30 month old.
Dee
This book is fun! I really enjoyed reading it as it had a very nice rhythm and is fun to read. My daughter really enjoyed flipping the pages and was trying to make me go really fast! The illistrations were nice and enjoyable. There were a lot of different animals to learn about and capture your babies imagination! (I wasn't thrilled about the snakes personally)
Ramarie
This is a lovely, bright picture book about babies learning to do their thing...fly, swim, squeak, quack, and then a human baby, learning to kiss...the rhythm and rhyme are reminiscent of "Over in the Meadow." This would be a useful book for preschool storytime; I've got it down for my theme of Babies. Enjoy!
makyo
My child is at an age where she wants to hear the same book over and over and over - and over again! This is one book I'm happy to read as many times as she likes. With a fun rhyme scheme, sweet illustrations and the addition of a mama & baby kiss, this is a fun book for multiple readings.
Tracy
Cute pictures and rhymes. Bought for my daughter Zoey who likes to watch "bird-y fly". She requested this one for story time today and seemed to enjoy the animals and sound effects I made to go with their movements, but soon gave it up in favor of reading You Are My Cupcake again :-)
Kate
A cute storytime read-aloud selection. The phrasing is cute and predictable with almost a sing-song feel. The text deals with baby animals and their parents and ends with a child and his mother. A nice, simple, feel-good book that's short and repetitive enough for baby storytime.
Kathy Cowley
I love the rhymes, the repetition as we are introduced to different animals, and the way in which the page turn is anticipated through a hint of the next animal and a guessable obvious rhyme. It has lovely pictures, and fun alliteration (such as in the title, "Flip, Flap, Fly!")
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Jump!
  • Hello Baby!
  • Yawn
  • Clip-Clop
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Monkey And Me
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • Higher! Higher!
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
"Picture books are performances," says Phyllis Root, quoting some sage advice she once received. "They're performances that involve a child--something both of you do. And once I started thinking of them that way, I started getting much looser about making up words and playing around with rhythm."

Phyllis Root picked up an early affinity for colloquial language while growing up in Indiana and south
More about Phyllis Root...
One Duck Stuck Rattletrap Car Looking for a Moose Scrawny Cat Oliver Finds His Way