Start by marking “The Golden Dreydl” as Want to Read:
The Golden Dreydl

The Golden Dreydl

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Nun, Gimel, Hey, Shin

Sara finds Chanukah celebrations boring. When her Tante Miriam arrives and gives her a Golden Dreydl, everything changes. The dreydl, an enchanted princess in disguise, takes Sara on a journey to a magical world.

When the princess is taken by the Demon King, who possesses the power of the Tree of Life, it is Sara who must use her wit to save the princes
Published July 1st 2007 by Charlesbridge (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Dreydl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Dreydl

Miriam
I don't think Kushner is a kids' author by nature. This book is okay, but not very funny although I think it tries to be (Kushner is best at the clever, nasty, subtler sort of humor) and it is obvious and didactic in the manner of someone who underestimates what children are able to understand.

Q: "What makes you cry but doesn't make you sad?"
A: "An onion."

OH COME ON EVERYONE KNOWS THIS JOKE. And even if a person hadn't heard it they would figure it out easily. All the riddles are this easy, or
Becky
The Golden Dreydl is an interesting Chanukah themed fantasy novel for children. There is an album that goes along with it. The book and album put a Jewish twist on the Nutcracker story.

Sara, the heroine, of The Golden Dreydl has quite the bad attitude about "having" to celebrate Chanukah and "not getting to" celebrate Christmas like all her friends. But to the family gathering she will go--no matter the fuss. (Sara has an older brother, Seth).

Readers briefly meet Sara, Seth, and their many, ma
Zoe
This book disappointed me, I think mostly because I bought this for my kids expecting something different from the cover illustration than what I found inside. It turned out to be a tale of a contemporary girl with ambivalent feelings about Hannukah versus Christmas. The girl is then thrust into an Alice in Wonderland-style adventure, but it felt rushed, to me.
Karla
I found this book on sale at a local store and loved the title. I read the back and was sure that I would enjoy it. Perhaps I expected it to be a bit in the same camp as Jane Yolen's books that connected familiarly modern things with the Holocaust. This book does depict a young Jewish girl who is a little bored with Chanukah and, like most tweens... wanting to fit in with her friends. Since her friends are celebrating Christmas, she feels left out and unipressed with her family's less glitzy Cha ...more
Catalina
Summary: Sara refuses to play old games associated with Chanukah and she dismisses them as boring and predictable. Everything turns around when her mystical Tante Miriam comes to the party and gives her a golden dreydl. While trying to retrieve it form her brother, Sara breaks the new flat-screen television that her aunt just got. The broken TV proves to be a gateway to a magical world, where Sara is pulled in having to save the magical golden dreydl from the hands of the demons.
Peace Perspectiv
Rose
Fun, magical, original Hannukah tale. Great for reading out loud.
Shannon
Nice quick tweenie story in a similar vein as the Nutcracker. It's always good to see a book for Jewish children. Would make a nice Chanukkah gift.
Aliza B.
I got to help write this book! It's soooo good.
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Miza Peters
Miza Peters marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Sidra
Sidra marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jenn Callahan
Jenn Callahan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kiki
Kiki marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
The Treeman
The Treeman marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Fayley
Fayley added it
Jul 02, 2013
Nona
Nona added it
May 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
American writer of fantasy novels, and the host of the radio program Sound & Spirit, distributed by Public Radio International.

She lives in New York City with her wife and sometime collaborator, Delia Sherman. Her first novel, Swordspoint (1987), and its sequel (co-authored by Sherman) The Fall of the Kings (2002), are mannerpunk novels set in a nameless imaginary capital city, and its raffish
More about Ellen Kushner...
Swordspoint (Riverside, #1) The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2) Thomas the Rhymer The Fall of the Kings (Riverside, #3) The Man with the Knives