Start by marking “The Golden Dreydl” as Want to Read:
The Golden Dreydl

The Golden Dreydl

Nun, Gimel, Hey, Shin

Sara finds Chanukah celebrations boring. When her Tante Miriam arrives and gives her a Golden Dreydl, everything changes. The dreydl, an enchanted princess in disguise, takes Sara on a journey to a magical world.

When the princess is taken by the Demon King, who possesses the power of the Tree of Life, it is Sara who must use her wit to save the princes
Published July 1st 2007 by Charlesbridge (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Dreydl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Dreydl

Miriam
Dec 12, 2013 Miriam rated it it was ok
I don't think Kushner is a kids' author by nature. This book is okay, but not very funny although I think it tries to be (Kushner is best at the clever, nasty, subtler sort of humor) and it is obvious and didactic in the manner of someone who underestimates what children are able to understand.

Q: "What makes you cry but doesn't make you sad?"
A: "An onion."

OH COME ON EVERYONE KNOWS THIS JOKE. And even if a person hadn't heard it they would figure it out easily. All the riddles are this easy, or
Becky
Nov 28, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
The Golden Dreydl is an interesting Chanukah themed fantasy novel for children. There is an album that goes along with it. The book and album put a Jewish twist on the Nutcracker story.

Sara, the heroine, of The Golden Dreydl has quite the bad attitude about "having" to celebrate Chanukah and "not getting to" celebrate Christmas like all her friends. But to the family gathering she will go--no matter the fuss. (Sara has an older brother, Seth).

Readers briefly meet Sara, Seth, and their many, ma
Zoe
Dec 25, 2012 Zoe rated it it was ok
Shelves: jewish-culture
This book disappointed me, I think mostly because I bought this for my kids expecting something different from the cover illustration than what I found inside. It turned out to be a tale of a contemporary girl with ambivalent feelings about Hannukah versus Christmas. The girl is then thrust into an Alice in Wonderland-style adventure, but it felt rushed, to me.
Karla
Feb 21, 2014 Karla rated it liked it
Shelves: jewish, children
I found this book on sale at a local store and loved the title. I read the back and was sure that I would enjoy it. Perhaps I expected it to be a bit in the same camp as Jane Yolen's books that connected familiarly modern things with the Holocaust. This book does depict a young Jewish girl who is a little bored with Chanukah and, like most tweens... wanting to fit in with her friends. Since her friends are celebrating Christmas, she feels left out and unipressed with her family's less glitzy Cha ...more
Catalina
Apr 22, 2012 Catalina rated it liked it
Summary: Sara refuses to play old games associated with Chanukah and she dismisses them as boring and predictable. Everything turns around when her mystical Tante Miriam comes to the party and gives her a golden dreydl. While trying to retrieve it form her brother, Sara breaks the new flat-screen television that her aunt just got. The broken TV proves to be a gateway to a magical world, where Sara is pulled in having to save the magical golden dreydl from the hands of the demons.
Peace Perspectiv
Rose
Mar 27, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing
Fun, magical, original Hannukah tale. Great for reading out loud.
Shannon
Apr 08, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Nice quick tweenie story in a similar vein as the Nutcracker. It's always good to see a book for Jewish children. Would make a nice Chanukkah gift.
Aliza B.
Mar 03, 2010 Aliza B. rated it it was amazing
I got to help write this book! It's soooo good.
Sarah is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
Ammie
Ammie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Aniqua Hasan
Aniqua Hasan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Kuzu
Kuzu added it
May 31, 2016
Sascha Broich
Sascha Broich marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Scott Frank
Scott Frank rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Patricia Lambert
Patricia Lambert rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Laur
Laur added it
Jan 26, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it did not like it
Dec 20, 2015
Bonnie London
Bonnie London rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2015
LuxAeterna
LuxAeterna marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Sunce
Sunce marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Pointsandwheels
Pointsandwheels marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Ellen Kushner weaves together multiple careers as a writer, radio host, teacher, performer and public speaker.

A graduate of Barnard College, she also attended Bryn Mawr College, and grew up in Cleveland, Ohio. She began her career in publishing as a fiction editor in New York City, but left to write her first novel Swordspoint, which has become a cult classic, hailed as the progenitor of the “mann
More about Ellen Kushner...