Start by marking “Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana” as Want to Read:
Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana

Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  12 reviews
An untamed region teeming with snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles, with sausage and cracklins sold at every gas station, Cajun Country is a world unto itself. The heart of this area—the Acadiana region of Louisiana—is a tough land that funnels its spirit into the local cuisine. You can’t find more delicious, rustic, and satisfying country cooking than the dirty rice, ...more
Published April 21st 2009 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Real Cajun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Cajun

Elizabeth
I bought this book at the eatery "Butcher" in New Orleans, after having the best shrimp and grits in my life. The grits were creamy with a tinge of brine and the sauce was littered with these blood-red morsels of bacon that were so succulent I felt guilty, as if the pig had just been slaughtered in the back an hour before. We also tried Boudin, which reminded me of the filling they put in Middle East dishes. Writing this made me hungry all over again...

Note: The recipes are pretty fattening--but
Mia
Recipes sounded and looked good, but overall most of them needed tweaking to just be edible. Too much work! When I buy a recipe book I just want to cook the recipes as is (or at least w/ minimal tweaking) and not stand there and think, "How can I save this?"

So, instructions were clear and the photos were nice, but the recipes were far from delicious. So disappointing! I was really craving some New Orleans cuisine.

Amy
When I read Frank Bruni's 2008 review of Cochon, one of Donald Link's New Orleans restaurants, I actually started salivating. When I visited later in the year, it did not disappoint. Neither does Real Cajun, which features a few of Cochon's recipes, as well as some from Herbsaint, and some from Link's family, friends, and local favorites. Despite New Orleans' reputation for excess (and Link's obvious appreciation for fried oysters, fried chicken livers, fried chicken, and pork belly cracklins), ...more
Anne
This cookbook was a Christmas gift last year, and while I haven't finished it, I've made several recipes, all of which were delicious, and read most of the rest, which explains my drooling problem. Donald Link’s style is as engaging as the photography: his accounts of family crawfish boils and church suppers give a homestyle context to impeccably-shot, super-tasty food. This is the food he grew up eating, and while I think ease of preparation in a home kitchen will depend on how much time & ...more
Marion Pilger
Great recipes. Amazing photography. I felt it was liking reading a family history book with lots of background information about the recipes and the ingredients and the people. Although not listed as an ingredient in any recipe in this cookbook - it seemed to me that there was a large spoonful of love stirred into every dish.
Jane
Feb 26, 2015 Jane added it
This book had sumptious rich recipes but it is not Real Cajun. Most of the recipes are modernized and fusion.
They almost all use Mexican or Oriental chiles and herbs not part of the Cajun tradition.
Catherine Woodman
I think this is the best cookbook for the genre that I have seen--it came out this year with fellow New Orleans chef Jeff Besh's cookbook--they were both nominated as best American cookbook for both the IACP and the James Beard award--one won one, the other the other, so maybe it is just as good--We have made the dinner rolls, the biscuits, the jambalaya and the shrimp creole and they have all been spectacular--so it is more like Cochon food than Herbsaint--but very good and I would highly recom ...more
Derek
If you've been to to any of the Link eateries (Herbsaint, Couchon and Butcher) then you know that Link is the man when it comes to traditional Cajun. With great writing, pictures you could eat and a nice selection of some of Link's favorite southern cooking, if you buy this book, get a bike or a gym membership.
Summer
I haven't tried any of the recipes in this book yet (I can't wait!), but I loved reading it. I felt like he was describing my family and my childhood; it was so similar to my experiences growing up in a Cajun family in Louisiana. Great book!
Steff
Only halfway through this & have already marked quite a few recipes for future use.
Christopher
the green bean casserole was a HUGE hit at the potluck.
Brooke
Jan 13, 2010 Brooke rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
awesome Cajun down home cookin'!
Concetta
Concetta marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Khuey40
Khuey40 is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Tatjana
Tatjana marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Kathy Breen
Kathy Breen marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Elaine D Stephens
Elaine D Stephens marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Brooke
Brooke added it
Apr 11, 2015
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Dave Hastings
Dave Hastings marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos
  • Chef Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories
  • Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • Cooking
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Fiesta at Rick's: Fabulous Food for Great Times with Friends
Down South: Bourbon, Pork, Gulf Shrimp & Second Helpings of Everything Wild Abundance: Ritual, Revelry & Recipes of the South's Finest Hunting Clubs

“Cook to make yourself and your family happy, because that’s really what it is all about.” 0 likes