Inside Out

Inside Out

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  785 ratings  ·  69 reviews
If you want a more vital union with God, a richer relationship with others, and a deeper sense of personal wholeness, learn how to look inside yourself and discover how God works real, liberating change when you live from the inside out. Includes a 12-week study guide.
Published January 23rd 2007 by NavPress (first published 1973)

Jenny Wells
This book has been sitting on my shelf far too long. Friends I respect consider it one of their top reads. While I don't know the whole story of the parting, Dr. Crabb and Dr. Dan Allender were once close associates, with as I understand it, Crabb wanting to teach lay members of the church and Dr. Allender professional counselors. I see similarities in their philosophies regardless of their different training focuses...that our stories do not go away when pushed under a rug and ignored. That all...more
Debi
Rather than changing behavior, the author talks about change being from the inside out, a character growth not just changing habits.
Much of the book talked about how we relate to others through self-protection and that we need to let go of our desire to protect ourselves from hurt and pain. Pain is a necessary part of life and not something to be avoided.
"Most of us want our existence to be comfortable. We sleep on the bed, not on the floor. Nothing is wrong with arranging for and enjoying comf...more
Jim B
Dr. Crabb teaches Biblical Counseling at Grace Theological Seminary in Indiana. This book combines the Biblical teachings of sin and grace with an understanding of human nature from a psychological point of view. He moves deeper than the "victim" approach that dominates current thinking to get to the deeper problem of sin in the heart. Crabb contends that real change is possible, but the change will not be the kind most people hope for, which is to change in such a way that we no longer have pro...more
Cecelia
This book was very difficult for me to read; I often felt intensely threatened and unnerved by its message. I also felt a deep appreciation for an author who could articulate questions and predicaments I have encountered, but which seem too intense to be acknowledged in other social forums or by other people in positions of authority. Good behavior, kindness, self-discipline, and personal responsibility seem virtuous and desirable, but Crabb deftly demonstrates how misleading and injurious they...more
Isaac Lewis
Perhaps one of the best books I've ever read. At first (upon the initial reading), I had to put the book down because I did not mesh with its content. At least that's what I thought! A year later I was floored by the substance in the book; the breath and depth of what inside change looks like from the perspective that emphasizes depravity and our natural longing to make life work.. I think crab has a perfect framework based on what on Jeremiah's "broken cisterns". It is a challenge to read this...more
Jamie Park
A phenomenal book on what it might look like to be more alive to Christ than to whatever current struggle you might be going through. Larry Crabb is a Christian psychologist who has studied carefully what Scripture has said about certain topics, and is someone who tailors and fashions his treatment of and insights into his patients' lives according to the life and words of Jesus. He is a psychologist who first follows Christ, is completely in touch with his own need for Jesus and his depravity t...more
This is one of the first (maybe the very first) Christian-based book I read. It ticked-me-off tremendously. I got so angry reading it at one point that I physically threw the book across the room (great visual memory of its trajectory as it bounced off the wall).

This book spoke truth to me at a time I didn't want to hear it. I later came to appreciate the message and am grateful for its writing.

Larry Crabb's writing has evolved over the years as his own journey with Christ continues to mature. I...more
Pia Jingco
This has to be one of the most difficult, discomforting books I've ever read; I'm still wrestling (and suspect I will continue to wrestle for a long time) with a good number of insights and principles that it outlines. Christians who are comfortable where they are would not be pleased with this work, which forces one to challenge him/herself and confront some very hard questions that can shake up his/her life.
Tony
You can't win with this book. Even if your being honest you're not honest enough. If you admit you're broken you're not broken enough. If you're happy you're lying. It is not a feel good read with no practical application. Larry spends too much time talking about himself and his most extreme example patients. No references about real people in the middle. Blah.
Shaun
Actually started reading it on August 1st while in San Diego with my children. Awesome book! Well worth the time and reading this book is time well spent! Suggest reading it thru rather quickly at first and then going back and rereading it ever so slowly, taking a week per chapter to really get it to sink in and stick!
Aaron
This book was great at raising the question that itches the mind of every aspiring unsatiated Christian. For that Christian who goes to church, reads their bible and avoids sin... you might be asking... "What's next?" or "How come I don't feel the joy that is promised?" Or even "Why am I still not happy?"

Unfortunately, I feel this book made the effort to help us recognise the emptiness (or thirstiness as the author relates it to the woman at the well) and even search inside ourselves, but stops...more
Kirstin
This book caught my eye at the library recently. I want to mark it up, so I've ordered my own copy. The last paragraph or so of the book really sums it up - - - -"Confusion breeds faith; disappointment drives us to hope. conviction leads to love. The path to maturity requires a commitment to replace false certainty, pretended satisfaction, and smug spirituality with disturbing levels of confusion, disappointment, and conviction, which in turn create the opportunity to develop faith, hope,and lov...more
Scott
As the title would suggest, this is a very introspective read in the spirituality genre. You could read one page and meditate on what you read for a day.

A few passages:
"Finding peace requires an honest look into your life at some hard things. Jumping through more hoops is sometimes easier than facing troubling things inside."

"Denial for many becomes a way of life. And years of practice makes it possible to seal off from our awareness any data that contradicts what we want to believe. It’s fri...more
Sameh Maher
كتاب رائع جدا كعادة د .لارى كراب
تجد فيه التبصر والنظرة العميقة جدا لداخل الانسان
الكتاب ممتع جدا فى عرضه وامثاله وتطبيقاته
يتكلم عن مشكلتان فى كل انسان تقريبا
الحماية الذاتية وكثرة المطالب التان تمنعان الانسان عن المحبة لله والاخرين من القلب ومن عمق القلب
التواصل الذى نفعله هو انعكاس لمحاولاتنا الدائمة لحماية انفسنا من الالم
ولكن عندما نقبل الالم وخصوصا عدم كمال الانسان وحياته فى عالم ساقط غير كامل فاننا نجد وجه المسيح ونشعر باشتياق حقيقى للقاء المسيح على السحاب
لن تجد الله دون ان تتألم فقط استمع ل...more
Reid
I thought Crabb had some useful ideas; sometimes I think he writes stuff that turns out to be the 'flavor' of the month in his approach to things.

INSIDE OUT
FOREWARD / INTRODUCTION
ENTER SUB-TOPIC
1. REAL CHANGE REQUIRES AN INSIDE LOOK
2. AN INSIDE LOOK CAN BE FRUSTRATING
3. KNOWING WHAT TO LOOK FOR
4. "IF ANYONE IS THIRSTY..."
5. SPRINGS OF WATER? THEN WHY SO MUCH PAIN?
6. BECOMING AWARE OF OUR THIRST
7. LOOKING IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES
8. THE PROBLEM OF DEMANDINGNESS
9. EXPOSING WRONG DIRECTION...more
Lauren
This book says the same thing about 3 million ways but it literally gets to the heart of the matter. Embrace the pain. Acknowledge you suffer. Strive for Christ's fulfillment. You can't get it by praying, bible studying, being good, or anything else but by feeling the pain and allowing Christ to be what you seek. It was a tough read for me. A bit lofty, hard to grasp the concept totally but makes some sense anyway. We long to be made perfect. Very long read to really make one point. Diagrams are...more
Lynn
Feb 12, 2014 Lynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone desiring to live authentically
True change in our lives only happens when we finally decide to give up our fortress of self-protection...and only our loving Father God can equip us for that journe that we dare not travel alone.
April
This book was illuminating for me. It showed me how shallow my relationship with God has been and gave me hope that someday it will be rich and full. It also gives a framework for thinking about our problems (from inconveniences to deeply rooted sins) that I found to be helpful.
Brett
Despite our good intentions and real efforts, change is often allusive, ignoring either the problems in our world or the pain in our hearts. Acknowledging both our deep longings (physical, social, and spiritual) and profound disappointments, Inside Out reveals our wrong strategies (self-protection) and points us towards the seat of true change – a repentant heart. Crabb provides the church a great service by pointing us beyond behavioral sin and reminding us of the sinfulness of our hearts. Thus...more
Mario Smiratti
How do I download the Book using this app
Jlnelso
I highly recommend this book to anyone who needs a close-up view of God after feeling let down by life's circumstances. It encouraged me in a way that I did not expect. I didn't find it hard to read even though Crabb doesn't just supply you with easy answers or explanations. Rather, it became a source of solace because it invited me into much deeper consideration into the meanings of life events beyond just feeling the pain or sorrow of the harder events. I love this book.
Linda Carmel
I was asked by my church to write up a authors profile on Larry Crabb. As I researched online and read about him, it was like visiting an old friend. I sure enjoyed his books at one point in my life. So much that I havent parted with them and I am not even a book collector. Once I am done with a book I pass it on. I've decided to reread the books of his that I've kept - this is one of the ones I'll be rereading. Because I have felt it worth keeping, I'll give this book a 4.
Maureen
old school l.crabb

i read this when i first became a christian. it makes the list of favorites not b/c i have read it recently but b/c of how deeply it impacted me at the time.

it was the first book i read that showed me i was not alone in my fear of 'being known' by God and by people. i also realized i didn't have to lie *all the time*... just some of the time. God has been so merciful! i get teary thinking about this book.
Robert Sr
I would not recommend this book to any serious student of the Bible. The author talks all around the subject - which he says is to change your life from the inside out. But never actually addresses it. It is basically a book about psychological illustrations of what is wrong with the human life.
Heather
I thought that this book was EXCELLENT. I read it at a time in my life when I had become very disillusioned with the church and with God. Dr. Crabb is honest and truthful about doubts and about the feeling of being suffocated by your doubt about God and his church. A must-read for those that are searching for the answers to their own doubts and hurts.
 Jim Hutson
Mar 06, 2008 Jim Hutson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those in faith, those seeking
Recommended to Jim by: Scott Engleman
Dr. Crabb does a great job explaining why things are still wrong in the world and why Christians still experience trials and struggles.
And he does a good job explaining how to seek resolution that may not imitate resolving the problem but understanding and putting it on the shelf.
Great read for those who ask the question, "Why do bad things happen?"
Mindy
Crabb writes a modern, more plaintive version of Owen's Mortification of Sin. If you read this book, be prepared to feel burdened, torn to shreds by the weight of sin...restored only through petitioning for a clearer focus on Christ and our relation to what He did for us on the cross. Read it, but be ready for it to rock you at your core.
Heather
Don't read this book unless you have some time to spend. It's not optimal to read it in little chunks, as Crabbe spends the first half stripping you of any thoughts you had that you were doing things from good motives. Not until the second half does he begin to build you back up to do good works. It's an exhausting book to read!
Jeff
Excellent book that is a must read. Crabb cuts to the heart and shows us that we all in some way are self-protective in our relationships, and we must repent of this sin and move toward love no matter how deep our hurt and pain from our relationships. I would encourage all Christians to read, especially Christian leadership.
Ritchie Pruehs
This was another life-transforming, paradigm-shifting book for me! I saw myself and my family of origin far more clearly after reading this book. The theme is that if we are ever to change, it must be real change--from the inside out. If you are wanting to truly change and grow, this is a terrific book!
  • The Cry of the Soul: Now Our Emotions Reveal Our Deepset Questions about God
  • Changes That Heal: How to Understand the Past to Ensure a Healthier Future
  • Decision Making and the Will of God: A Biblical Alternative to the Traditional View
  • The Grace Awakening
  • A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society
  • The Search for Significance
  • Seeing With New Eyes, Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleashing the Power of Authentic Life in Christ
  • Ruthless Trust: The Ragamuffin's Path to God
  • How People Change
  • Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • Renovation of the Heart
  • When God Doesn't Make Sense
19542
Dr. Larry Crabb is a well-known psychologist, conference and seminar speaker, Bible teacher, popular author, and founder/director of NewWay Ministries. In addition to various other speaking and teaching opportunities, Dr. Crabb offers a weekend conference throughout the country entitled Life on the Narrow Road and a week-long School of Spiritual Direction held in Colorado Springs, CO. He currently...more
More about Larry Crabb...
Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy Connecting The Pressure's Off: There's a New Way to Live SOUL TALK: The Language God Longs for Us to Speak The Safest Place on Earth: Where People Connect and Are Forever Changed

“We must admit that simply knowing the contents of the Bible is not a sure route to spiritual growth. There is an aweful assumption in evangelical churches that if we can just get the Word of God into people's heads, then the Spirit of God will apply it to their hearts. That assumption is aweful, not because the Spirit never does what the assumption supposes, but because it excused pastors and leaders from the responsibility to tangle with people's lives. Many remain safely hidden behind pulpits, hopelessly out of touch with the struggles of their congregations, proclaiming the Scriptures with a pompous accuracy that touches no one. Pulpits should provide bridges, not barriers, to life-changing relationships.” 9 likes
“Change from the inside out involves a steadfast gaze upon our Lord that's life changing because it reflects a deep turning from a commitment to self-sufficiency. Without repentance, a look at Christ provides only the illusion of comfort.” 8 likes