Start by marking “34 Bubblegums and Candies” as Want to Read:
34 Bubblegums and Candies

34 Bubblegums and Candies

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,211 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Sometimes you have to keep on chewing so that you can extract whatever you can out of it. At times, the bubble you blow bursts unexpectedly and you are left with a sticky mess. Sometimes you lick it slowly and relish it. When you greedily bite off more than you can chew or a hard boiled sugar candy slips down inadvertently, you bear the pain as it makes its way down the fo ...more
Published January 11th 2008 by Srishti (first published 2008)

Tess Thomas
Apr 29, 2009 Tess Thomas rated it it was amazing
“A condition that my mom put forward when she got me a membership in local library years back was ’no book lending during weekdays‘. That was because those days I used to spend long hours reading and not even hunger could distract me once I started with a book. The people who made me do it were Enid Blyton, Mary Higgins Clark, the authors of The Chicken Soup Stories etc.

Years passed and after two years of slogging in a software firm, I ended up taking as much as a whole month to complete a book
Debasis Mohanty
Aug 26, 2011 Debasis Mohanty rated it it was ok
This is to Preeti Shenoy:

You can take it as a constructive criticism if your an optimist-which I know you're or you can simply put it in your junk box saying there are "drains"(in reference to a chapter in your book) like me to demotivate you and you move on because there'll be many more praising your efforts.

But this is what I felt all the way even mid-way while reading:
1) All the mundane activities which u reminisced doesn't necessarily amuse the readers.
2) The book lacks humor which you promi
Sundeep Supertramp
Aug 09, 2011 Sundeep Supertramp rated it liked it
When I first completed reading the first 2 chapters of the book... I was sure that it is a "girly" kind of a book.. It is not very usual I read these kinds of books.. and it is not very usual even for me to like books like this... But I did like it..

First of all, I admire Indian author.. Secondly, I admire Indian woman authors...

About the book: It is a collection of 34 experiences in a which is experienced by almost every Indian(male and female)...

I personally loved "Life is what you make it", w
Sowmya's book world
Apr 17, 2016 Sowmya's book world rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
It's like a preeti shenoy consolidated her blog and made a book, not so appealing, Some stories are funny and some are very lame.
Mayank Mittal
Apr 29, 2009 Mayank Mittal rated it it was amazing
Preeti’s 34bubblegums and candies is a compilation of 34 small stories and I don’t know why she says that some are candies and some are bubble gums. For me, each of them was a candy, a candy that I would want to keep savoring. Each of these stories conveys a subtle, genuine but a deep message. It’s the honesty in the narration and the genuineness of the text that bowls you our. Most of these candies will begin with the commonest of the incidents or situations that we have encountered, and then, ...more
Dhriti Govind Raj
Jun 27, 2013 Dhriti Govind Raj rated it really liked it
Creative non fiction is a very innovative genre Preeti Shenoy has picked up for her first book.
The whole book is like a collection of fairy tales, except here, the short stories are more of reality than fiction.
Preeti Shenoy, is an excellent author and "34 Bubblegums and Candies" proves it! None of the short stories are anyway linked to each other except for the counts. Each story is unique and distinct. And, take my word, you will love all the stories.
There is one particular story that I love
Vaidehi Sharma
Jul 17, 2015 Vaidehi Sharma rated it it was amazing
34 BUBBLEGUMS AND CANDIES
When does we climb stairs while reading a book and hit our head right in the wall? I think this only happens when you are reading one of the Preeti Shenoy's works. As I received the packet from that amazon guy I snatched open it right in front of him on the main gate and he stared at me as if a cat has snatched away his bite and is feasting over it. Poor guy. Again its not a review its just an experience. I climbed over and parked myself on the sofa and got drenchedin th
Manasa
Apr 19, 2009 Manasa rated it did not like it
This books is a collection of blog-posts. Nothing great in focus. Writing blogs is different from writing books. The author has failed to impress!
Natasha Borah Khan
Apr 01, 2013 Natasha Borah Khan rated it liked it
Recommended to Natasha by: Madhusmita
frankly i did not like all her candies and bubble-gums. a few incidents were life savouries though. in others, i felt that the proper linkage between the story and lesson was missing.
Kiran Nair
Jul 24, 2011 Kiran Nair rated it it was amazing
Definitely 34 candies & no bubblegums...... Plus 1 lollipop too.....
Rajesh
Jun 15, 2013 Rajesh rated it liked it
Shelves: indian, non-fiction
This book is a bunch (34 to be precise) of life experiences that have one thing/lesson (candies) or the other (bubblegum) to take away from. Although I do not somehow come to terms with the candy/bubblegum analogy, each one of us have our own way of deriving from and relating to the vagaries of life. They are multitudinous and these quick short stories bring forth such vagaries and present them in a prosaic manner.

As the author aptly explains in the last chapter of the book; this publication is
Arti
Apr 23, 2013 Arti rated it it was amazing
Preeti Shenoy at her best. “34 bubblegums and candies” is a book from the heart to the heart. I have already bought and gifted so many that now I have lost count. I connected with the book, I laughed, I cried, I enjoyed every page of the book; I read it many times.

She has compiled her experiences in a very nice and simple way, in a language which is very easily understood. The preface is perfect.

Her relationship with her dad is a typical father-daughter relationship- very touching, very unders
Kiran Kumili
Aug 17, 2013 Kiran Kumili rated it liked it

Its about 34BG and Candies.

A very simple written book about a woman who is a naughty kid, clever teenager, lovable wife, responsible mother, emotional daughter, and a pristine friend belonging to an orthodox conservative Indian family.

Very witty, emotional and interesting to read the daily happenings of almost every Indian home reflecting right in front in the form of dancing words.

I could not stop my tears when reading about your dad's sudden demise. It happened to me with my mom. And also whe
Meera
Apr 28, 2016 Meera added it
34 Bubblegums and Candies – A collection of real life experiences/stories by the author Preeti Shenoy. Preeti has an interesting style of writing. Most of the stories are everyday life incidents; some of the incidents are interesting and beautiful and will stay with you for some time. Some incidents have a message while others pretty ordinary. Radiators and Drains and My Special friend were some of my favorites. The narration simple; light hearted and a fast read.
Shyam Sundar
May 09, 2014 Shyam Sundar rated it really liked it
Shelves: preethi-shenoy
If you were expecting a story, a romance, a suspense, some tears, some hearty laughs, some heart touching moments, some naughty moments and lots of twists and turns, I guess you definitely might have been looking elsewhere if only 34 bubblegums and candies were not interpreted the way it should be! Yes, I found all of the above in this book. In short, this book is a compilation of myriad incidents in the author’s life which are quite similar to ones that happen almost with everyone at some time ...more
Indiabookstore
Mar 20, 2014 Indiabookstore rated it liked it
The book contains 34 incidents from day to day life, which may and have happened to you and me.But what makes this different is what you gain from it. Preeti has revived all those incidents and showed us how ordinary things can teach us life’s biggest lessons. She writes this book from point of view of a daughter, a friend, a wife, and a mother of two. Read more at http://www.indiabookstore.net/bookish....
panbucholan
Jun 18, 2014 panbucholan rated it liked it
My expectations are high as I have already read 'Life is what you make it'. But, I am largely disappointed with '34 bubblegums and candies' because most of the experiences of the author are not so interesting . Probably, moms, particularly young ones, may like this and identify themselves with the incidents narrated therein. But, Preeti Shenoy had somehow catch up in the end and of course she had a wonderful style of storytelling.
Deepika
May 24, 2015 Deepika rated it it was ok
Preeti Shenoy is an author whom I enjoy reading! The stories are simple and mostly you can relate to them! This is her first book and it is really simple. It is a collection of short stories which you read and realize such things have happened in your life already. It is a light read for times when you want to take a time off from some heavy reading, no doubt I finished it in a couple of hours. Nothing very great but does make you go down the memory lane.
Swetha
Jan 07, 2016 Swetha rated it liked it
An awesome title + preface(explaining the title). Typical girlie book with a good collection of 34 blog posts I would say. One good thing is Preethi never forced the audience to believe what she believed as candies/bubblegums, she let the readers to choose their own. A simple book in simple words to depict her kaleidoscopic view of the eternal beauty of life.
Shruti
Apr 05, 2015 Shruti rated it did not like it
I know this was written forever ago, and since then Preeti's writing has impressed a lot of her fans. (myself included) But not to be harsh or disrespectful, this book felt like she wrote these bedtime stories for her kids and then decided to publish it one day. I love Preeti, she is the soul reason why I moved back to reading works of more Indian authors. But this one simply pulls me down for some reason. The stories are dull, and narration is childish. All her other books are good, especially ...more
Shashi Kant
Jan 24, 2014 Shashi Kant rated it it was ok
This book isn't at all good, Preeti Shenoy had not written a well type of story we expect to read, I think it had got reason less publicity, name and fame. There isn't anything.
She had just written a simple story that goes everyday in our life no tragedy, no thrills, only the boredom. But i like the way she had written, i think if she will get a good plot for the storyshe can write that very well.
But i can't suggest this book.
Madhusmita
Nov 26, 2013 Madhusmita rated it liked it
The stories/incidents mentioned in the book are more like blog posts rather than short stories. None of them delve deeper into the lives of any of the characters. And even though the stories/incidents were nothing outstanding or uncommon, the honesty in her narration is what touched my heart. I was impressed by her recollection of events in her life that had something to convey – happiness, sadness, grief, confusion, doubts, self-realization, etc., and compiling it in a way that appeals to every ...more
Gokul Rangarajan
Jan 05, 2015 Gokul Rangarajan rated it did not like it
Worst book of all times, i wonder why Goodreads does not give us ability to rate a half star.
If you really want to waste time by reading some others diary you can go for this book. I guess Preeti would never Market this books after she gets the status of good writer
Rahul Patil
Aug 31, 2014 Rahul Patil rated it it was amazing
Every chapters gives a meaning. Points on the significance of everything and everyone around you.
Parents, kids, friends, pets and even insect can make beautiful moments in your life.
It is just the way you look at it. Loved to read :)
Kalaivanan
Jun 16, 2014 Kalaivanan rated it really liked it
Vaibhav Vats
Dec 09, 2014 Vaibhav Vats rated it it was ok
This book has several stories, most of them are copied from other writers like the story of that woman whose husband ask for divorce. It is okay to kill time but not meeting the mark.
Sandip
Feb 26, 2016 Sandip rated it really liked it
Easy to understand, from the beginning to the end you will find that many of such kind of incidents have happened in your life, but you have never observed. nice one
Awdhesh Singh
Sep 29, 2014 Awdhesh Singh rated it liked it
Simple stories and incidents from the life of author. You can get to know the author more closely and also learn couple of things to make your life better.
Karthik D.R
Oct 16, 2013 Karthik D.R rated it really liked it
'Oh My God' - Summarizes all the pages in the book!

Well, the above review title is lil modified version of a line taken from this book:) (Actual line in the book is: "'Oh my god'-summarizes most reactions!").

Many call the author as 'analogy queen'. I read her second book 'Life is what you make it' at first and then this one. Trust me, if u'r a person from a traditional Indian family and currently moving towards modern family & living (knowingly/unknowingly), do not wait to read this book.

"Th
Karuna
Mar 29, 2015 Karuna rated it it was amazing
I simply loved this book. one of the best work of Preeti Shenoy! :) its a lovely book, just read it and you'll love it.
  • How About A Sin Tonight?
  • That Thing Called Love
  • Love, life & all that jazz....
  • Xcess Baggage
  • Because Shit Happened
  • Poor Little Rich Slum
  • The Crossover Year
  • A calendar too crowded
Preeti Shenoy, is among the best-selling authors in India (Source Nielsen scan) weaves magic with her words and pictures. An extremely talented and versatile individual, her Twitter bio reads:
“Best-selling Author, Artist specializing in pencil portraits, Poet, Yoga-Buff, Ex-basketball player, Blogger, Dobe-owner, Nature lover, Ted X speaker and a Mother.”

Her interests are as multifarious and dive
More about Preeti Shenoy...