Fugitives of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #2)

Fugitives of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  846 ratings  ·  40 reviews
John C. Wright established himself at the forefront of contemporary fantasy with Orphans of Chaos, which launched a new epic adventure.

Wright's new fantasy,continuing in Fugitives of Chaos, isabout five orphans raised in a strict British boarding school who begin to discover that they may not be human beings. The students at the school do not age, while the world around th...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2006)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Fantasy Books Set in Two Worlds
184th out of 438 books — 546 voters
Phantom Bigfoot Strikes Again by Simon OkillBeing Jamie Baker by Kelly OramKingdom of Heroes by Jay  PhillipsClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareThe Giver by Lois Lowry
teen superhero
48th out of 52 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Bruce
After my enjoyment of the first book in this series, it didn't take long to dive into and finish the second.

Nor is this book a dissappointment.

And yet, four stars instead of five for the first. Why?

As I mentioned in my review of Orphans of Chaos, these are not three books but one big book broken into three parts.

As at the end of Orphans, there is little or no closure. As the middle part of a long story, this book has a rather flat narrative arc. While it was just as dandy as Orphans, in essence...more
Zachary
Wright is an amazing writer. Period. You cannot pick up any of his books without realizing so - usually shortly after the realization that you have been completely swept away with the story he has woven. Fugitives of Chaos is nothing less than another brilliant work - but it should only be read in the context of Orphans of Chaos and Titans of Chaos, because the trilogy of books forms one complete story, each picking up almost exactly where the previous book left off.

Fugitives of Chaos picks up w...more
Linda Gallagher
Same reaction as to
Orphans of Chaos

I wanted to love this book, with all the mythos, but I was bothered by the sexism and the pompous intellectualism. As before, maybe I think it was pompous because I didn't "get" some of the physics or math. But it gave me the same feeling as talking with someone who is overly impressed with their own intelligence.
Roberto
Less exposition that in the first book of the trilogy, which is a good thing. However, I am starting to get a feeling this whole series is just a game of paper/rock/scissors where this paradigm beats that but is beaten by the other one. Since there are four paradigms, it's almost a game of paper/rock/scissors/lizard/spock, but not quite.
Joseph R.
Another exciting tale in the Chronicles of Chaos by John C. Wright. This book picks up right where the first volume left off, with the five students losing their memories of all that has happened and that they have discovered about themselves. They've forgotten that they are hostages preventing an interdimensional war between the forces of Chaos (from which the students have come) and an wide assortment of other mythological forces, mostly centered around the Greek gods. They have magical and ps...more
Jamil
free from the need for set-up that plagued the first book in the series, we really dive into the world in this book. a dynamic dialectic between different paradigms and ways of seeing the world, einsteinian vs newtonian vs aristotelian, etc., magic vs shamanist vs mathematics vs atomic materialism, boys vs girls, youth vs adulthood, titans vs olympians vs the children of chaos. it's 5 kids from different worlds running away from their oppressive boarding school environment in search of freedom a...more
Gregory K.
There is a reason this story will never be turned into a movie. Half of the book is a big long conversation about what happened in the other half of the book. More often than not the story is reflecting on itself and explaining itself rather than moving forward. As I move through the middle of this trilogy of books the story is really beginning to sag. There are some interesting moments still, parts that remind me of the potential of this story, but ultimatley I am disapointed (and bored). The a...more
Michael
This book was fantastic -- I really can't say enough good things about it. It continues Orphans of Chaos, which blends a very contemporary, coming-of-age story in an English boarding school with Greek mythology.

It's an innovative concept, and Wright pulls it off superbly. The characters all, consistently, have distinct voices that represent both different personalities and (intertwined with their personalities) different modes of understanding the world specific to their godlike abilities. At th...more
Clarice
Well, this book definitely moved away from the "girl main character likes to get tied up" stuff. Thank goodness! Otherwise, yes the characters are all a bit lusty and otherwise ridiculous, but considering the Greek mythology inspiration this is not that surprising. What is surprising is when reviewers say that this is comparable to Harry Potter. Um... no. This is not comparable to Harry Potter. These books are not in YA for a very good reason. There are many adult situations.

Otherwise, this cont...more
Jason
Kids at an orphanage discover that they are not human. Learning that they are being held as hostages, they attempt to escape (again).

I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as the its predecessor Orphans of Chaos. There is a lot more physics/math and Greek mythology references in this story. I loved that stuff in the first book, but here it felt more like the author was throwing stuff in just to make things sound smarter For me it eventually started to get in the way of the storytelling.

There is...more
Koori no hi
Better than the first book in the set, the story continues from almost exactly the same place it left off in the previous story. I like the different take on the Greek/Roman gods and the education levels of the kids (if only more people could read over a fith grade level - my own highschool brother can't- so sad)
The characters are recourceful and their personalities are growing. I look foreward to reading the final book
Keith Davis
Middle books of trilogies tend to be about taking the situation introduced in the first book and making it as bad as possible before resolving it in the third book. Fugitives actually advances the plot of Orphans considerably as the five young people make good their escape and continue to expand their control over their powers. Wright also further develops the characters connections to Greek mythology.
Richard
The tension and suspense increase substantially in this, the second, of the Chaos trilogy. The amount of detail on the subjects of Mythology, Philosophy, Metaphysics, Physics and Geometry can sometimes be a bit overwhelming but, all in all, Wright does a pretty good job of keeping his readers engaged. This is just a little bit too much soft-core sex for my tastes, but other readers probably like it.
Jeffrey
Jul 02, 2007 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Geeks
This book is about five british orphans who turn out to not be human. They are are from different reality paradigms (mythology, quantum physics, the occult, etc.) Each one has a unique ability to alter reality in a significant way and each paradigm is counteracted by another, to maintain balance. This is book two. The first was called Orphans of Chaos. There's a third, but it's not on the shelf yet.
Parthena
A good link between Book 1 and Book 3, but I felt like some of the battle scenes were drawn out for longer than they needed to be. Some of the scientific discussions also simply ranged above my ability to follow due to their being verbose and extremely technical in nature. (and I imagine this applies to other readers as well--most of us aren't quantum theory geniuses).
B. Zedan
Jun 17, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone, really.
Shelves: real-book
Man, such a solid middle-of-the-trilogy book. Like the first book, full of gods and maths and theory and how much it pretty much sucks to be a young adult trying to figure themselves out. Only no angst, just intelligence and a little pouting.

I actually went and bought this book and the third one right after finishing the first. Very addictive story, very epic.
Jana
This is possibly the most intelligent fantasy since Neil Gaiman. Think Harry Potter meets Phillip Pullman meets Bullfinch's mythology meets The Breakfast Club and Home Alone. Stir in some Greek philosophy, add a bit of inter-dimensional theory and particle physics, and wrap it all in bit of subtle erotica of a bildungsroman you have it.
Kereth
A fun follow up to Orphans of Chaos. A little hard to get into because I couldn't remember the details of the first book. Floundered a bit in the middle but had a great ending and cliff hanger. Will read the third soon. For fans of fantasy and sci-fi. A good melding of the two genres.
Austin Storm
I enjoyed this one much better. The author's copiousness and way with character and dialogue are more on display, and the story moves at a wonderful clip. Would make a great one-sitting read. Unfortunately I think reading the first weighted-down volume is necessary to fully enjoy it.
Mary Catelli
In which the children act upon what they learned in Orphans of Chaos. Which I will not reveal for the spoilers involved. 0:)
Adam Herring
Strange, strange series. I really do like it and would give it more stars, but it is incredibly hard to read. This coming from a huge fan of Peter Hamilton's "Commonwealth Saga." This is extremely hard sci-fi.
A great sequel to Orphans of Chaos. The main characters are becoming more aware of their powers and the dangers that pursue them. As always, extremely funny and great plot. Couldn't put it down.
David
Following on the heels of revelations in Orphans of Chaos, Fugitives of Chaos reveals much more about the world and the characters while also featuring some whiz-bang action scenes.
Mi_kan
it's very good story of 5 orphans . and thay are actually gods.
well` i guess better read for yourself to enjoy the damn thrilling adventure.
Jim
Sep 27, 2013 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
See my snippet on Orphans of Fantasy. Enjoyable, possibly a good YA gateway drug to Roger Zelazny's Amber series.
Shanrina
Again, I wanted to give this five stars but I couldn't, for the same reasons I couldn't give the first one five stars.
Jeffrey
The continuation of Orphans of Chaos which covers their escape from the orphanage.
Still an excellent story.
Jeff
Middle book in the Chaos trilogy. More plot development, but not much added to the metaphysics of the setting.
Harrison
Better than the first and third book but not to be read before the first or after the third.
James Broussard
I can tell why the first book in the series was nominated for awards but this one wasn't.
Problem with the cover 1 2 Feb 28, 2014 06:34AM
  • Prospero in Hell (Prospero's Daughter, #2)
  • Hawkspar (Korre, #2)
  • The Dragon Delasangre (Dragon Delasangre, #1)
  • The Bread We Eat in Dreams
  • Ghost Ocean
  • Iron Night (American Vampire, #2)
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • Year's Best SF 15
  • World's End  (Age of Misrule #1)
  • Ink (The Book of All Hours, #2)
  • Soldier of Sidon
  • The Wilco Book
  • Summoning (Moon Wolf Saga, #1)
  • Negima!: Magister Negi Magi, Volume 14
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • The Worlds of Chrestomanci (Chrestomanci, #1-4)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Elegy Beach
John C. Wright (John Charles Justin Wright, born 1961) is an American author of science fiction and fantasy novels. A Nebula award finalist (for the fantasy novel Orphans of Chaos), he was called "this fledgling century's most important new SF talent" by Publishers Weekly (after publication of his debut novel, The Golden Age).
More about John C. Wright...
Orphans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #1) The Golden Age (Golden Age #1) The Phoenix Exultant (Golden Age, #2) The Golden Transcendence (Golden Age, #3) Titans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #3)

“I can't wait to get my memory back. It sounds like I am a really cool person” 3 likes