Start by marking “Soul Talk: The Language God Longs for Us to Speak” as Want to Read:
Soul Talk: The Language God Longs for Us to Speak

Soul Talk: The Language God Longs for Us to Speak

In this extraordinary book, Dr. Larry Crabb introduces a revolutionary way for Christians to experience God. "Soul talk" happens when two Christians talk to each other in a way that results in their passion for God being stirred, ignited, and released.
Published October 2nd 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Talk

Jkanz
Oct 16, 2015 Jkanz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
As I prepare for the School of Spiritual Direction, I have been working my way through several of Larry Crabb's books. Soul Talk (2003), the final required book prior to attending, was a good read. Another prerequisite for the school was to complete 4 online courses in spiritual direction. Soul Talk appears to be the clearest exposition of the model Crabb developed in the 4 courses.

A common theme that wends its way through Crabb's books is that too often, we replace first things with second thin
Dovofthegalilee
Sep 05, 2012 Dovofthegalilee rated it really liked it
I think this is a very good book but it has its limitations. Before reading this I read his other work Connecting which he wrote after this book. Together they paint an interesting picture- here you have a man who is one of the chief Christian voices from the school of psychology saying we have over emphasized the need for clinical intervention. What Crabb is attempting to do in these two volumes is to turn back the responsibility to the local saints, to empower pastors & elders as they ...more
Kirstin
Mar 23, 2010 Kirstin rated it it was amazing
This book really challenged my thinking. It's moving from self-obsession ("worshiping a false god of convenience and cooperation") to God-obsession ("a miracle of divine grace"). What would my life look like if God was really in first place? If I truly delighted in HIM, vs. just desiring his blessings to make my life go better? No platitudes in this tome - - - just some radical thinking. Radical, because it is so uncommon and at odds with my human desire to solve my problems (and help everyone ...more
Blake
Jun 12, 2010 Blake rated it really liked it
Well written book about our relationships with God, and how if you talk with your soul, it can lead to amazing opportunities for you and God.
Anna
Feb 23, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
"SelfTalk" is what happens when one friend shares their life, story, or situation, and we respond in one of the following ways: We defer the problem to someone else ("You should really talk to so-and-so, she has a lot of experience with this"); we minimize the problem and frame it in a hopeful light ("it will get better eventually"); or we come to our friend's side by hating what they hate ("he really is a jerk"). There are numerous ways we speak SelfTalk on a daily basis, Crabb says. We speak ...more
Jeanine
Dec 31, 2013 Jeanine rated it it was amazing
It's taken me quite a long time to finish reading 'Soul Talk". I've been on a journey with God to discover how to truly help others to desire a closer, more intimate walk with Him. That cannot happen if I'm talking "self-talk" - looking for a quick "Band-Aid" fix instead of trusting Him to know what is best for me. God always desires a relationship with us that is dependent and build of faith and love for Him more than the blessings He gives to us. This is a book that will remain with me and ...more
Kimberly Baltz
Jun 28, 2013 Kimberly Baltz rated it it was amazing
This book wasn't what I expected, in a good way. It went far beyond what I was expecting.

I read this in a book discussion group at my church and it is one of my top 5 life-changing books. Before you even get to discussing how to be intentional in conversations with other people, you work through your own issues first - such a critical step! I wasn't expecting that. I ended up discovering some things about myself I didn't know and learning some very big things. It was awesome!
Dawn
Jul 26, 2016 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I read this book hoping to validate my gifting for Soul care. Instead what I have received is brokenness from the Spirit. Seeing my inadequacy and self-obsession. I cannot follow steps in my flesh and do soul talk. It is totally dependent on the Spirit. God has rocked my world through this book. It is my first Crabb book. I pray that as God continues to transform me and deepen my longing for him that he will allow me to dance with Him and talk soul talk. I have a long way to go.
Will
Sep 20, 2009 Will rated it really liked it
Big idea: anything, even good things like wanting to make life work out, that get before our appetite to commune with the Trinity is what causes us to struggle in life. And when we talk with those we love, speaking Soul Talk, i.e., working together in conversation to get that appetite at the forefront, is the way of love. Loved the book!
Apryl Anderson
Jul 27, 2011 Apryl Anderson rated it it was amazing
How to shut your mouth and open your heart. I don't think that I could learn any how-to steps here. This book shows us why giving heartfelt advice is ineffective. It's a confirmation to me that all of those safe answers that I grew up with are Band-Aids. The purpose in listening is to encourage courage in others in their quest to seek God with ALL their heart, strength and mind.
Kas
Jul 01, 2013 Kas rated it it was amazing
This book made me think about the way I communicate with others. Particularly through the tough times when coming up with solutions to each others problems seems like the best approach, but isn't. I learned a lot about myself from this book. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Sharon
Jun 12, 2012 Sharon is currently reading it
Our small group read and discussed this book together. I thought I was a pretty good listener, but this book challenged me to think beneath what people who are upset or troubled are saying to see where their real struggles lie. I think I will be working on this for a very long time.
Jane Duhan
May 05, 2008 Jane Duhan rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this book. It was okay but not something I wanted to work at to perfect in my life right now.
Katie
Jul 27, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Larry Crabb is an inspiration. I read this book for a class at church. It helped me understand myself that much better. It also helped me have more compassion for others.
Margery
Apr 30, 2011 Margery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A very though-provoking read that challenges you to deeper thinking, conviction, and evaluation of what you really want in life.
Froilan Diaz
Jan 30, 2012 Froilan Diaz rated it did not like it
A book that should've been a pamphlet. Incredibly repetitive, and open hostility to "religion" when he speaks of it do vaguely. You can probably get these points elsewhere.
Duane
Mar 07, 2011 Duane rated it liked it
I enjoy how Larry Crabb always thinks outside the box and puts concepts in ways that are meaningful, honest, and authentic.
Dana
Jun 09, 2009 Dana rated it it was amazing
A great book on how we should really live our lives- in tune with the Spirit to minister to others. There is no question...this book WILL challenge you.
Amywhitehouse
Amywhitehouse rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Pat Roseman
Pat Roseman rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Emma King
Emma King rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Johnny
Johnny rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Joseph Tang
Joseph Tang rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2009
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Bradley
Bradley rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Matthias Nelson
Matthias Nelson rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
Tricia
Tricia rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
  • Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common
  • Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship Direction
  • Homosexuality and the Christian: A Guide for Parents, Pastors, and Friends
  • Making Jesus Lord: The Dynamic Power of Laying Down Your Rights
  • Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation
  • John for Everyone, Part 2: Chapters 11-21
  • Hebrews for Everyone
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • Narrative Means to Therapeutic Ends
  • The Fabric of Faithfulness: Weaving Together Belief and Behavior
  • 11: Indispensable Relationships You Can't Be Without
  • They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons—Your Invisible Enemies
  • Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions
  • From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God
  • The Different Drum: Community Making and Peace
19542
Dr. Larry Crabb is a well-known psychologist, conference and seminar speaker, Bible teacher, popular author, and founder/director of NewWay Ministries. In addition to various other speaking and teaching opportunities, Dr. Crabb offers a weekend conference throughout the country entitled Life on the Narrow Road and a week-long School of Spiritual Direction held in Colorado Springs, CO. He currently ...more
More about Larry Crabb...