Start by marking “Which Puppy?” as Want to Read:
Which Puppy?

Which Puppy?

Calling all puppies!

The White House is looking for a pet!

When word spreads far and wide around the globe that the First Family is looking for a pet, animals of all sorts want the part: puppies from Egypt, India, and France; a Neapolitan mastiff from Maryland; and even a kitten, a guinea pig, skunks, turtles, and a raccoon.

Which puppy will be chosen?

Pulitzer prize

Published April 7th 2009 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Which Puppy?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Which Puppy?

Jessica Minnoia
Mar 22, 2010 Jessica Minnoia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I gave this book 5 stars because it has diverse characters and relates to current events. This story stems from President Obama's speech where he told his daughters he could get a dog. Soon all the animals, even ones that were not dogs wanted to be chosen to be the first dog. After all the animals put in their thoughts on what kind of dog the first family would want, they held a lottery. The dog that won the lottery had rigged it, so he did not get to go to Washington. A guinea pig and two dogs ...more
Rebecca
Jun 16, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
To me, this story has the flavor of an old-time storytelling tale. You could totally tell this one without the book, even if you left out the timely fact that it is about the Obama girls' puppy. The animals of the world hear about the impending puppy choice, and all want to be the chosen one, even if they happen to be the wrong species. Can't beat Jules Feiffer's drawings of dogs.
Eva Leger
Jun 16, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
I had no idea when I bought this that it was about President Obama's daughters. I'll admit that if I had known that I would have passed this over. I think.
Even though I'm not a fan of Obama's I do incorporate Presidents into Julia's life, trying to teach her about that part of our country so she has some knowledge before she gets to school.
Besides that it's a cute story - the President and his family are moving into the White House and a puppy is needed for the girls ( a quote from Obama's spe
Kelsey
Aug 09, 2016 Kelsey rated it did not like it
The president announces his daughters will adopt a new puppy when they move to the White House. The puppies and other animals all compete to determine the puppy that will go to the White House. Three winners go to the White House, but discover that the girls already have a puppy. They start to leave, but the girls all them back to play with their new puppy. The book could be used to teach different kinds of dog related vocabulary to children. The story runs long and the prose is not particularly ...more
Dolly
Sep 25, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun variation on the same tale as The First Pup: The Real Story of How Bo Got to the White House, but from the perspective of all the dogs (and pets who wished they were dogs) who competed for the rights to become the White House pet. Our girls enjoyed the story, especially the turtle, kitten and bunny who joined the fray.
Kalynda
Mar 06, 2016 Kalynda rated it liked it
I grabbed this book because I thought it would be a good one to start a classroom conversation into classification and descriptions, for a K-2 audience--which is does accomplish, on top of it being a familiar topic, pets and selecting a pet.
Molly
Apr 21, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
The puppies are all trying to be the one chosen for the Obama family in the white house. Sweet story and funny. I like the current issue and how it handles coming out before the Obama's get their puppy. Ages 4+
Qiana
May 25, 2009 Qiana rated it liked it
Jules Feiffer is an amazing artist, but his style doesn't work as well here for children - this is ultimately a book for older folks who know the backstory related to the White House's search for a pet.
Caleb
Apr 20, 2009 Caleb rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Even at 80 years old, Jules Feiffer draws like nobody's business. The only real pleasure I took from this current event tie-in book was seeing Feiffer draw Obama from behind, the white house, and various breeds of dog in his loose, wiggly lines. He draws neat pugs, for example.
Linda
The president announces that a puppy will be moving into the White House with the First Family, and dogs across the U.S. tingle with possibilities. Could have been so much better, but at least there was a good looking basset hound in a starring role (however, his personality was all wrong).
Jim
Apr 27, 2009 Jim rated it it was amazing
the president announces that the white house will have a first puppy. every hamster, rabbit, kitten and even a few pups try for the honor...
(sadly, for the Obama girls, no one considered a Samoyed or husky, or in the spirit of bi-partisanship a malamute.)
Juliej
Mar 30, 2011 Juliej rated it it was ok
The illustrations were much better than the text. I do like that it brought in current events with the Obama girls choosing their new dog, but the story wasn't very engaging.
Tara
May 31, 2009 Tara rated it liked it
Interesting watercolor paintings accompany this timely story of the new Presidential puppy. Word spreads fast through the animal kingdom that a new puppy is moving to the White House!
The Library Lady
Sep 22, 2009 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Kate Feiffer uses her father's name and the Obama puppy crazy to make money on a slight book that will date rapidly. Heck, as soon as the Obamas got their REAL dog this book was already passe!
Henry
Sep 01, 2011 Henry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, 2011, favorites
I had already read it once while we were at the library and then mom was going to put it on the return desk and I almost cried, right there in public, because I want to read it again.
Dawn
May 09, 2015 Dawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, picture-books
A bunch of dogs all compete to be the dog that will live in the White House. Not my favorite.
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2009
Emily
Apr 13, 2009 Emily marked it as to-read
Got to keep this book in mind for any children who might come into my life.
Aspasia
Oct 28, 2009 Aspasia rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-aidan
Dogs around the world hold a contest to see who is the most puppy-worthy for the Obama girls.
Candi
Jun 19, 2009 Candi marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-for-kids
Ages 4-8
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Sara Lemonade
Sara Lemonade rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2010
Ed
Ed rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was ok
May 25, 2012
Suz
Oct 11, 2011 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Would be a good story about competition and being a good sport, not cheating, etc.
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Katie
May 30, 2009 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Kinda boring. And text-heavy for the premise.
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Kate Feiffer is the author of several children’s books, including Double Pink, illustrated by Bruce Ingman; President Pennybaker and My Mom Is Trying to Ruin My Life, both illustrated by Diane Goode; The Problem with Puddles, illustrated by Tricia Tusa; and Henry the Dog with No tail, illustrated by her dad, Jules Feiffer. She lives on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts.
More about Kate Feiffer...