Die Zweite Foundation  Trilogie 1. Der Aufstieg Der Foundation

Die Zweite Foundation Trilogie 1. Der Aufstieg Der Foundation (Second Foundation Trilogy #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  5,629 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy is one of the high-water marks of science fiction. It is the monumental story of a Galactic Empire in decline, and the secret society of scientists who seek to shorten the inevitable Dark Age with the science of psychohistory. Now, with the permission -- and blessing -- of the Asimov estate, the epic saga continues.

Fate -- and a cruel Empe...more
Published (first published March 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Die Zweite Foundation Trilogie 1. Der Aufstieg Der Foundation

Calvin
TLDR: don't bother reading this book. It's bad sci-fi, unnecessarily length, full of a poor story and poor science.

I didn't like this book. I tried to like it. I rather enjoy the original Asimov trilogy, but I gave up on finishing Foundation's Fear.

Reasons I didn't like the book:
1) Foundation's Fear contains a contrived argument between sims (artificial intelligences) who represent Faith and Reason. Joan of Arc represented Faith, and Voltaire represented Reason.
2) Hari Seldon and Dors Venabili...more
Danielle
So it took me over a month to get through this disaster of a book, and I ended up skimming some of it just to get through it. If you haven't read the original Foundation books, SPOILER ahead.

The entire reason this book exists is to show, in detail, Seldon's ascent from academian to First Minister. There was an almost-interesting sidebar about how another species helped him form his theory of psychohistory. All in all, not a book worth reading.

The first part of the book starts out good: it's remi...more
Steven
This first entry into the Foundation (2) Trilogy by other authors is a mess. I would not have finished it except that I wanted to read the additional entries in the series. I had read reader reviews before I started this book, so I was prepared for it to have problems.

There are three major strands in the story. One is the attempt by the Emperor to nominate Hari as first minister. Cleon knows of Hari's work on psycohistory. This story winds its way through the 578 pages and is a relatively cogent...more
Josh Meares
Benford was given a tough task: trying to flesh out Hari Seldon's conception of psychohistory. Benford's answer is the scientist propaganda of our day: that humanity can be understood more deeply by looking at our simian ancestors. Benford did wrestle somewhat admirably with the idea of the self as a self-organizing, emergent property of the complexity of the brain and with emotions as endemic to all animals.
However, Benford is not a very good writer, there were several times when I was simply...more
JBradford
I had not even known about the second Foundation trilogy until last month, when I became an instant fan of the author of the third book in the set — so much so that I purchased that third book after reading complementary comments about it about the Internet, but it occurred to me that it made no sense to read the third book in a trilogy before reading the preceding two, so I sought this one out at the library, despite the fact that I had noticed many of those reviewing comments expressing praise...more
Peter Hutkins

"is not canon"

This book is written in a much different tone than that of Asimov's, and that takes a toll on the feel. By taking the Empire and Robot legacies and projecting onto it, I think Benford creates a distraction from the Asimov universe, not a development or refinement. It leaves me with the same slightly-betrayed feeling as if Turner Classic Movies produced a colorized spinoff called "Casablanca: the Paris years".

This book contains complicated mishmashes of ideas and philosophical tre...more
Karina
The original series was so much better. I don't know what I don't like about this one: lack of action? or is it the things that the author introduces into this series: like computers, the Mesh, simulations, the theory of psychohistory... meh. don't know if I should keep on with the next books in this trilogy.
Michael
Jan 04, 2010 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Foundation books
Shelves: science-fiction
I've never ready any Greg Benford, so I didn't know what to expect. I found that Greg Benford does not write like Asimov. I also found that that doesn't matter.

If you're a fan of Asimov's Foundation series, as I have been since I first read it in high school, you will enjoy this book. It tells the story of how Hari Seldon came to be First Minister of the Empire. There is a lot of interaction between Hari and Dors, which I enjoyed. Bear writes with a playfulness that works well with the story. A...more
Tim Weakley
I really failed to get into this book. I understand that Benford wasn't trying to duplicate Asimov's style. It's just that as a work in this series it didn't grab me or add into the arc of the story. The entire aspect of the sims of Voltaire and Joan of Arc was not to my taste. The portrayal of Seldon and Daneel did not live up to the other books in the series even with a large gift of creative room for the author on the part of the reader.

Maybe the other "extar books" will be better.
Chris
Terrible continuation of the Foundation series. What was the point of this book? I'm still wondering months later. There are so many boring side discussions that have no relevance that I found myself skimming towards the end. The plot never really develops, and although I liked the ending, it left me wondering why Hari didn't just make it happen 400 pages earlier. Thoroughly unenjoyable, even to a big Foundation fan. I hear that the next two (Chaos and Triumph) are good though.
Mars
The Seldon sections are pretty decent, but the entire Joan/Voltaire thing is unreadable drivel - my enjoyment of the book increased significantly around 75% in, after I just started skipping all the pieces about them, and I only wish I did this starting with page 1.
Daniel McGill
How can you write a tribute to one of the greatest works of science fiction by one of the greatest science fiction authors and start out by throwing his physics out the window and replacing them with your own? Don't bother reading this one.
Rhoda
There were so many good ideas in this book, but I couldn't get interested in the plot until I was nearly 3/4 of the way done...then i stayed up all night to finish it.
Bruce Jones
Benford leads the trilogy with a smart, philosophic close look at Hari Seldon and the robots that make crucial moves in the Foundation era.
Jeremiah Johnson
This book was about 300 pages longer than it should have been. Entire sections of the book were pointless and very boring. Reading the chatpers with the "sims" were about as exciting as watching someone play the game of the same name...
Characters were very flawed too. Asimov describes Yugo as someone that is only interested in science, he has no political or other ambitions. For some reason, Benford turned him into an annoying Dahlite zealot.
The parts where he tried to explain the science was di...more
Frank
amazingly true to the brand and to the original author. asimover than asimov.
Spandan Sharma
Well well well...I'm not entirely sure what Mr. Benford started out to do when he agreed to take up this project, or what the Asimov Foundation was thinking in making the decision to commission this work. Isaac Asimov's Foundation universe is pretty complex and maze-like already, for the uninitiated, and Benford's hammed-up attempt at expanding the universe to explain protagonist Hari Seldon's backstory is likely to leave anyone except for the most hardcore Foundation fan severely confused.

My bi...more
Roddy Williams
This is the first in a posthumous trilogy sanctioned – if not instigated – by the Asimov Estate which is actually a prequel to Isaac Asimov’s classic Foundation trilogy, one of the landmark SF works of the mid-twentieth century.
It’s good to know that three tried and tested authors (Benford, Greg Bear and David Brin) have taken on what must be a daunting challenge.
As good a writer as Asimov was, his best writing was completed in his early life and his later novels, which fed very much on his es...more
Jen
It appears that my forray into the Foundation novels is not at the close I had feared. It continues, just not with Asimov at the helm.

And therein lies the problem.

My original review of this book was simply going to read, "No. Just no." I decided to give my review readers a bit more.

This book takes place in between the time when Hari Seldon marries Dors and creates the Mathist department at Streeling University and when he is installed as First Minister for Emperor Cleon. Notably absent in this t...more
manuti
Primera trilogía de la lista de libros de 2008 – 2009. Hace por lo menos 20 años leí la primera trilogía de la Fundación, escrita por Isaac Asimov, de la que me quedó un buen recuerdo. Años más tarde encontré está nueva trilogía de varios autores que me gustaban bastante. En su momento la compré, y hasta ahora no había encontrado el momento para leerla, pero ese momento ha llegado.

Le he dado 3 estrellas a esta primera parte, que me ha resultado entretenida y me ha gustado recordar como veía a es

Walter
Dec 06, 2007 Walter rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science or sociology buffs
Parts of the book were slow and many of the characters were not well developed. However, two characters were very well developed and it was a joy reading any scene where they were present: the electronically 'resurrected' computer ghosts of Voltaire and Joan of Arc. These two characters were wonderful, stole the show from the main characters and were great all around.

***SPOILER WARNING***
Much of my delight from these two characters comes from one big scene. The people of the future generally fe...more
Zoltán
Az Alapítvány-univerzum első olyan kötete, melyet Asimov halálát követően a sci-fi műfaj egy másik jeles alkotója jegyez. Benford a könyvhöz fűzött utószavában részletes beszámol mindazon dilemmákról és nehézségekről, melyek toronyházként magasodnak mindazon szerzők előtt, akik az asimovi mestermű egy-egy repedését kívánják kitölteni úgy, hogy a mű egésze szemernyit se sérüljön, sem tartalmi, sem esztétikai szempontból. Kiállta-e Benford ezt a próbát? Nos, erre a kérdésre bizonyára ezerféle vála...more
Phil Giunta
This is the first book in a trilogy that follows Isaac Asimov's acclaimed Foundation series. Gregory Benford's background in physics comes through in overwrought detail when describing the technology and science of the Trantorian Empire. The pacing is uneven and stultifying in some sections but his action scenes move swiftly and you get a true sense of the breadth of the galaxy that Asimov painted so beautifully in his original works.

I think clearly, Benford tried to remain true to the characte...more
Wanda
Certainly not the best prequil around--I absolutely love Asimov's Foundation series (and the various sequils and prequils that he wrote over the years. As this author's offering was approved by his estate, I had high hopes for it going in.

There were parts that I did love--especially the visit to the Chimpanzee planet and the adventures that took place there.

However, all the pages devoted to the simulated personalities left me cold. I found all of that absolutely boring and there was so much of...more
Zoffix Znet
Too much show. Having read 11 Asimov's books preceding this book in the fictional universe, I forced myself to read the first third of it... Otherwise, I would have put it down much sooner. The author uses too much "show." Dozens of pages are devoted to move the characters from one place to another. What Asimov would have succinctly put in a paragraph or two, Gregory in this book paints on scores of pages. Few exciting events happening here in there outright drown in all the detail unimportant e...more
Kip
Got these three (Second Foundation Trilogy) from a friend. Been a long time since I read the Foundation or robot stories from Asimov, so I was eager to jump back into the story.

All three authors did a good job remaining true to the original timelines, major events and characters. That said, you could tell this was sort of filler. Should have expected that, right?

Has motivated me to go back and read some of the robot stories again -- lots of robot activity in all three of these.

* Couldn't finish
*...more
Pamela Deters
A bit of a slow starter, this is the first of a series of Foundation books authorized by Asimov's estate. But after you get over the idea that it would be written as Asimov would have, you are more free to immerse yourself in the story. And it is worth letting it pick up some steam. Our setting is when Hari Sheldon in just starting to get a handle on psychohistory. There are sims in the form of Voltaire and Joan of Arc , tiktoc rebellions and assassination attempts with a dash of aliens thrown i...more
Rachael Smith
This book was a terrible continuation of the Foundation series. The plot is thin at best. The writing is heavy, sluggish and truly hard to read and get through. The characters are nothing like those in the canon books and the world they live in bears nearly no resemblance to that of Asimov's series. I can't believe I made it 75% of the way through. The pan storyline was somewhat interesting but I found the story of the Sims to be tiresome and needlessly complicated. I found myself skipping throu...more
Maciej
Boooooooooooring. Did not absorb me for a second. Reading it was an ordeal. I was not able to finish it.
Israel Laureano
Un poco escandalosa y floja, muy lejos de los estándares del buen dr. A.
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)
  • Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #2)
  • Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • Venus
  • The Norby Chronicles (Norby, #1-2)
  • The Garden of Rama (Rama, #3)
  • The Time Ships
Gregory Benford is an American science fiction author and astrophysicist who is on the faculty of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of California, Irvine.

As a science fiction author, Benford is best known for the Galactic Center Saga novels, beginning with In the Ocean of Night (1977). This series postulates a galaxy in which sentient organic life is in constant warfare wit...more
More about Gregory Benford...
Timescape In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Center, #1) Heart of the Comet Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3) Across the Sea of Suns (Galactic Center, #2)