Start by marking “Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life” as Want to Read:
Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life

Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  556 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
What if right now, reading these words, you suddenly realized that you were actually dreaming and that in this domain you could do anything imaginable? That is what it's like to dream lucidly, teaches Stephen LaBerge. With Lucid Dreaming, the author of Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming (more than 120,000 copies in print; Ballantine, 1991) teaches his simple, tested met ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Sounds True, Incorporated (first published April 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Lucid Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucid Dreaming

Guy
Mar 22, 2016 Guy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multiple-reads
A lucid dream is a dream in which the dreaming self becomes aware that s/he is dreaming. For me, that awareness would lift my heart with excitement because I would immediately think, 'This is a dream! I can do anything.' And I would immediately jump from the ground and fly. I've been to the moon, 'flew' underwater, swam with whales, etc.

This book is excellent, and contains simple techniques to help promote the lucid dream experience.

Also fascinating are LaBerge's review of the role of dreaming
Simon
A short (80-page), helpful practical guide on lucid dreaming with a heavy focus on sometimes controversial eastern spirituality.

The first chapter with several reports of the exhilarating experience of being in a lucid dream starts the book as a great teaser. It instantly lifted my mood and made me hopeful about the potential for new experiences and adventure.

Very quickly afterwards, one is introduced to techniques to increase the likelihood of lucid dreaming, among which is developing better dre
SarahJaneSmith
"Masakatsu agatsu." (True victory is mastery of self.)

As I have always been interested in dreams and believe them to have influence on the "waking state" (or what we take to be the waking state according to Stephen LaBerge and many philosophers), I consider lucid dreaming to be a fascinating topic.
"You have not met yourself yet. The only advantage of meeting others in the meantime is that one of them may present you to yourself." Sufi master Tariquavi
I like to face my dreams in this way.

Steph
Mason Hoffman
Sep 07, 2009 Mason Hoffman rated it it was amazing
I read this book after reading a lot about lucid dreaming online. I have to say that I did get more from this book then I did just searching around online. It gave not only instructions on how to develop the skill of lucid dreaming but also a lot of insight and theory behind it. The included CD was helpful as well. I would recommend it for anyone with a new interest in the topic.
Laura Belle
Nov 13, 2008 Laura Belle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have never had a lucid dream. I have never had a dream where I have flown... In all honesty, I have never had a dream that pushed the limits of reality... a dream where fantastical things can happen. Most of my dreams are so reality based that it's almost nice to awaken from them. I just want to have one dream where I can fly.
P.H.T. Bennet
Jun 06, 2016 P.H.T. Bennet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all of LaBerge's work, there is a tension between the promise of enabling readers to do all of the things that he outlines and the fact that he seems to ignore the fact that, while 50% of people achieve lucidity sometime in their lives, few can do it on command, even with his guidance and techniques. Though a frequent lucid dreamer myself, I have always been ambivalent about being constantly in control and have opted for a more occasional dip into lucid waters. Laberge doesn't seem to value ...more
Ada Heath
Feb 05, 2014 Ada Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you search `Lucid Dreaming` on Google, within fifteen seconds Stephen`s name will undoubtedly come up. He’s a major player in the lucid dreaming world, not only as an author but as a scientist and researcher. Because of the work he (and a few others) performed, lucid dreaming was proven real, and not just a trick of the mind. It was a cool experiment – someone would go into REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, get lucid in the dream, and send a signal to their physical body. The signal was a disti ...more
Daniel Rekshan
May 25, 2011 Daniel Rekshan rated it really liked it
Shelves: metaphysics, dreams
One of the unfortunate things about being interested in lucid dreaming is the lack of literature on the topic. Actually, the lack of intelligent, thought out, and well written literature. On a whole, lucid dreaming books have too much of the author's own opinion and not enough research, in addition to mediocre writing. What I want is a well researched, well written, and scholarly book that doesn't read like the author's dream journal.

This book almost fulfills my wish. It is well written. The aut
Lindsay
May 30, 2013 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-mind
This book is a classic and tells a lot about the history of dreaming (everyone heard the story about the sewing machine...) and is a nice introduction for everyone who's new to lucid dreaming. However, if you are an experienced lucid dreamer, this book will kinda dissapoint you. There are experiments you've probably done yourself and sometimes he tries to convice you of his opinion while there is no real proof (yet). Of course you can't judge an old book because of that. What I absolutely didn't ...more
Iona  Stewart
The book I’m here reviewing is Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge published in 1985 (304 pages).

I found the book readable in part, but much of it was quite boring. It is a well-written, intellectual/cerebral account not only of lucid dreaming but dreaming as a whole and other related subjects.

The author is irritatingly skeptical, and, for instance, does not believe that out-of-body experiences are real, but that they are a form of lucid dreaming. He himself has had several out-of-body experiences
Nakkinak
Mar 12, 2016 Nakkinak rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theoretical
This book is a great introduction to lucid dreaming and by extent to the science of dreams. As a lucid dreamer myself, I found it a valuable addition to my knowledge.

Unfortunately it becomes jarringly esoteric in the last two chapters where he writes confusing stuff about dream telepathy, objective dream reality, and astral bodies, that kind of put the whole book into questionable new age territory, something that lucid dreaming clearly doesn't deserve.

6.5/10
Lance
May 23, 2008 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me in an off-handed manner by a counselor, this book helped me get rid of some bad sleep disorders. After I read it, I found that I'd been awake but not aware in my dreams. I learned how to recognize when I was dreaming and take advantage of it, instead of letting my subconsious phobias take over and run their course. My sleep became as enjoyable as it was frightening. After a while, because my sleep became normal, I stopped having the lucid dreams. I'll take the peaceful sleep, t ...more
Rena Sherwood
It's been years since I read this. I don't remember much about it, except I was disappointed in it overall although it meandered to some interesting areas. I already had been dreaming lucidly for years but didn't find much information that was new.
Benjamin Richards
Sep 30, 2015 Benjamin Richards rated it liked it
A good short book about lucid dreaming. The CD is helpful, I became lucid the first night since I began reading. My dream recollection is better although full lucidity seems a long way off. I'd say this book is a good entry level tome for budding psychonauts!
Timothy Kelley
Mar 03, 2016 Timothy Kelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever had a dream where you KNEW you were dreaming and you could do ANYTHING you wanted. I usually FLY. who needs wings? All you need is your nightly dream world!
Josh Downes
Too short. I'm now reading his original full length book - Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming and it's already a lot better, more comprehensive.
Anna Stankova
Feb 04, 2016 Anna Stankova rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Found out some interesting stuff about lucid dreaming, a great source of information for my psychology essay. :)
Joe
Jan 23, 2013 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have been interested in dreams and altered states for a long time. My wife and daughter claim to have the ability to "lucid dream" a dream in which one is conscious of dreaming and can alter the progress/outcome of a dream. I've been reading this book hoping to become "lucid" so far a lot of very bizarre dreams, but none in which I am aware of dreaming.

The book is somewhat interesting but had many punctuation errors which I find annoying (no cap starting a sentence?)
Haakon
Jan 07, 2012 Haakon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know next to nothing about lucid dreams, nor have I ever, to my recollection, had one. This book inspired me to want to dream lucidly and provided techniques to achieve that goal. The author writes well, and the overall quality of writing is scholarly but fairly effortless to get through. Highly recommended for someone looking to get an introduction to the field of lucid dreams.
John
May 11, 2016 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I read this book a long time ago, and afterwards actually had a lucid dreaming experience. Having reread it, it's a good introduction. I'm going to read LaBerge's other books to get more insight into developing this skill. If you're really interested and want to know that lucid dreaming is, this is a decent start; if you really want to try it, you will want to read more.
Sebastian Tron
I want to learn how to lucid dream perfectly and every night I want. I have done it, but I don't know if I've done it on purpose. I want to learn everything about it. I want to make it a priority in my life. I will try as hard as I can until I get it. I like the idea of doing anything you want. I will use it to find answers.
Ryan Williamson
Aug 01, 2014 Ryan Williamson rated it it was amazing
Read this in conjunction with other books that tickle the imagination. Read this with Stranger in a Strangeland when I was adventuring into Lucid dreaming. Provides the simple tools you need to start lucid dreaming. Just stay motivated and don't stop with the dream journal.
Jukka
I found this short book quite inspirational, with many good insights on lucid dreaming. It has help and encouraged me in my exploration. I felt there should have been a little more to here, though sometimes less is more.
Sarja
As the title of the book says: it's concise. It serves its purpose, but for the person who is seriously interested in lucid dreaming, you're better off with something more elaborate.

The last chapter rocked.
Johannes Bertus
Great thing that he did all this research, but in the end it felt a little like listening to other people's dreams hour after hour. When I was done I just wanted to go to sleep.
Lisa Parrott
Jun 16, 2016 Lisa Parrott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally someone who knows their shit! So far LaBerge is the only person I trust to make sense on this topic, I really enjoyed his insights.
Sean Carlos
Dec 16, 2013 Sean Carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing... been studying lucid dreams for 1/2 year (longer than that, but actually started researching then) and was a big help. Induction CD didn't hurt, either :D
Sean Alesi
Nice and short, but you could probably find all this info on the internet. Even so, try this; it's fun when you do the lucid dreaming, but difficult to do.
Linda Anderson
Feb 02, 2015 Linda Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I loved this book...a lot of information and the accompanying cd has good exercises on it...my goal is to be lucidly dreaming by this time next year.
Jennifyre Ziegler
Aug 12, 2013 Jennifyre Ziegler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how or why this one was showing up on my list with 5 stars. This was by far the most boring book on lucid dreaming I have ever read.
  • Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
  • Our Dreaming Mind
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • Lucid Dreamer: A Waking Guide for the Traveler Between Worlds
  • Lucid Dreams in 30 Days: The Creative Sleep Program
  • Creative Dreaming: Plan And Control Your Dreams To Develop Creativity Overcome Fears Solve Proble
  • Superlearning 2000
  • The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
  • The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook
  • The Collected Works of C.G. Jung
  • The Pythagorean Sourcebook and Library: An Anthology of Ancient Writings Which Relate to Pythagoras and Pythagorean Philosophy
  • Advanced Lucid Dreaming: The Power of Supplements
  • Cave and Cosmos: Shamanic Encounters with Another Reality
  • The Book of Signs
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • The Secret House: The Extraordinary Science of an Ordinary Day
  • Organon
  • Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus
Stephen LaBerge (1947–) is a psychophysiologist and a leader in the scientific study of lucid dreaming. He began researching lucid dreaming for his Ph.D. in Psychophysiology at Stanford University, which he received in 1980. In 1987, he founded The Lucidity Institute, an organization that promotes research into lucid dreaming, as well as running courses for the general public on how to achieve a l ...more
More about Stephen LaBerge...

“dreams are real while they last. Can we say more of life?” 1 likes