Start by marking “Beyond Human: Living with Robots and Cyborgs” as Want to Read:
Beyond Human: Living with Robots and Cyborgs

Beyond Human: Living with Robots and Cyborgs

Concepts once purely fiction -- robots, cyborg parts, artificial intelligences-- are becoming part of everyday reality. Soon robots will be everywhere, performing surgery, exploring hazardous places, making rescues, fighting fires, handling heavy goods. After a decade or two, they will be as unremarkable as the computer screen is now in offices, airports or restaurants.

Cyb
Published September 18th 2007 by Forge Books (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Human

Jason
I was really impressed by Benford's book Deep Time , but this subsequent volume on robots and cyborgs did not do much for me.

I expected a robust discussion of not only the current trends in robotics and cybernetics but also their implications for society and the human species; instead I got the usual techno-utopian cheerleading that relies on weak, if not actually false, analogies (e.g., "We've always been tool users, so therefore being cyborgs with implanted/integrated "tools" won't really be
Meaghan
Jun 28, 2012 Meaghan rated it liked it
This book brings up the possibilities of the relationship between humans and technology. Conflict of emotion and logic, religion and evolution; sadly even in the last chapter all conflicts never really were settled by the author. Yet I guess it is the trouble of adding ethics to the subjects adds more problems/questions!
I am very interested in investigating the source material, for I felt (besides the interviews)a lot of the material was based on fiction and I still crave for my concrete or hist
Boden Steiner
May 27, 2010 Boden Steiner rated it really liked it
Filled with information and ideas to jump-start the imagination of a fiction writer. It's difficult to publish anything in this arena and remain on the cutting edge of the moment, but Benford manages to discuss a variety of ideas and scenarios provoked by the subject matter.

Along with the changing news we see every day, I'd consider this an invaluable resource to anyone interested in the topic.
James
Aug 20, 2008 James rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in technology or sociology
Fascinating and solidly grounded, filled with interviews with scientists, engineers, ethicists, and others actually doing the work in the fields discussed. Not only interesting as a look at some ways life may be different for future generations, but great as a source of plot elements or background details for science fiction writers. Highly recommended!
Donna
Jan 03, 2012 Donna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to know what's on the horizen in the tech world
This isn't great literature. But if you like to stay abreast of the latest technology, especially regarding human/tech interaction or even symbiosis pick this book up.
Paul
May 04, 2010 Paul rated it it was ok
Not a bad read, per se, but a bit bland. Heavier on philosophy than hard science, and I've no use for that.
Taylor Preston
Taylor Preston rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2013
Francesco Verso
Francesco Verso rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Aubrey
Mar 31, 2012 Aubrey marked it as to-read
A Tor book
Abe
Abe rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Devon
Devon rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Jeff Toner
Jeff Toner rated it did not like it
May 20, 2008
Richard Baker
Richard Baker rated it really liked it
May 22, 2010
Brittney Marshall
Brittney Marshall rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Io
Io rated it liked it
May 19, 2012
Kris Smiley
Kris Smiley rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Matthew Travagline
Matthew Travagline rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Q
Q rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2009
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Kuehleborn Spengler
Kuehleborn Spengler rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Pouria Hadjibagheri
Pouria Hadjibagheri rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Brendan  McAuliffe
Nov 09, 2011 Brendan McAuliffe rated it it was ok
If you're all familiar with anything technology, just skip to Part 3
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2008
J. Danielle Dorn
J. Danielle Dorn rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2016
Gregory Benford is an American science fiction author and astrophysicist who is on the faculty of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of California, Irvine.

As a science fiction author, Benford is best known for the Galactic Center Saga novels, beginning with In the Ocean of Night (1977). This series postulates a galaxy in which sentient organic life is in constant warfare wit
More about Gregory Benford...