Butterflies And Moths

Butterflies And Moths

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Published March 1st 2009 by Scholastic Nonfiction

To ask other readers questions about Butterflies And Moths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterflies And Moths

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra DeedyThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMoonshot by Brian FlocaRed Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman
2010 Caldecott Hopefuls
45th out of 60 books — 155 voters
Wings by Aprilynne PikeThe Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. PearsonThe Declaration by Gemma MalleyTithe by Holly BlackEmma by Jane Austen
Butterflies
112th out of 197 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
The many photographs are truly amazing. Nic Bishhop is incredibly dedicated to study and his craft, and it shows in this book.

Even I appreciated the beauty of the blue morpho butterfly, and I found all the information interesting, especially the information new to me, and I did learn a lot.

However, I’m squeamish around all insects, including moths and even butterflies. They are beautiful and interesting on the pages, but this book didn’t make me fond of them or entice me to view them in their ha...more
Luann
I love Nic Bishop's books! His photographs are amazing. This book is particularly beautiful with its close-up and enlarged photos of caterpillars, moths, and butterflies. I especially liked the close-up photograph of caterpillar legs showing the breathing holes, called spiracles, which let air into the caterpillar's body. I didn't know caterpillars had breathing holes like that. This book was just full of facts that I found fascinating, such as:

* Most caterpillars just starve unless they find ex...more
RLL52013_LaurenBregman
Have you ever seen a butterfly wing up close? Did you know each wing is covered with thousands of individual scales? If you had sensitive lasers, high-speed flashguns, and weeks to spare in the rain forest, you might already know this. If you didn’t, it’s a good thing Nic Bishop does. In his book Butterflies and Moths, Bishop takes us on a journey through the life of a butterfly. From conception to caterpillar, pupa to butterfly, the colorful full-page photographs provide a vivid, awe-inspiring...more
Karen Hughes
The book, “Butterflies and Moths” by Nic Bishop, takes a close look at the beauty of these amazing creatures. Readers can see the butterflies up close as the fantastic photographs show the insects magnified several times their actual size.
I would pair this non-fiction book with Patricia Polacco’s book, “The Butterfly”. In this story, a young girl surprisingly sees a beautiful butterfly in her garden in war-torn France during the Nazi occupation. Readers will know from the non-fiction book that...more
Melba Deoleo
This book talks about a very popular insect, one that doesn't tend to gross or scare people like most insects tend to do. A butterfly is a beautiful insect, its wings are usually full of color and made up of different patterns. They are not hard to find as we see them fly across fields, parks and even around our home. A moth on the other hand tends to be a bit more secretive and it tends to do most of its flying at night while we are all in bed. Moths and butterflies differ in the fact that moth...more
Donalyn
Just like Holm, Clements, and Korman, a new Nic Bishop book in our class library generates instant excitement among my students. They will love reading about butterflies and moths, as well as Bishop's processes for photographing rare animals in the wild.
Claudia Magana-magana
"Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly" by Alan Madison and Kevin Hawkes is a perfect twin text for this nonfiction book. As Velma enters first grade, she finds that Science is her favorite subject. Velma learns how a butterfly grows from an egg and transform into a butterfly through the process of metamorphosis. In my nonfiction pair, metamorphosis is explained through clear details and a series of pictures. Author Nic Bishop informs readers that monarch butterflies fly to Mexico during the f...more
Tasha
Nic Bishop’s latest nonfiction book for children is filled with crystal clear photographs that dazzle and amaze. This time Bishop has turned his attention to the wonder of caterpillars, butterflies and moths. Accompanying the images is fascinating text that allow readers to better understand moths and butterflies and the way their lives and bodies work. Bishop has once again managed to take pictures that verge on the impossible. The furry body of a luna moth with his bright yellow antennae is lo...more
Kristy Breese
What? Caterpillars do not only turn into butterflies, but some caterpillars turn into moths. Butterflies and moths have tiny scales on their wings. This characteristic provides them with the ability to escape from spider webs. Butterflies also have thousands of light sensors that help them see shapes, colors of leaves, and other butterflies. Butterflies use their antennae on top of their head for touching and smelling.

So What? Students will engage with the magnificent photographs and gain a weal...more
Kristine Pratt
The photography in this book is stunning. The best part though is the story at the end that the author tells about how he got these pictures. My imagination was captured by how he traveled through the rainforest and went through so much for just a single photograph. Don't skip that part!
Todd
Nic Bishop's photography continues to amaze in this latest in his series (after "Spiders" and "Frogs"). The path from caterpillar to butterfly or moth is fairly well explained, with terrific photographs of eggs, and especially of caterpillars. However, I had some problems with this book. The use of the word pupa for chrysalis seemed unusual and unexplained. No photos were included of moth pupal stage in a cocoon, which seemed odd. I also took issue with moths given second, smaller title billing,...more
Julie
Kids often like their nonfiction served with photographs and it’s hard to imagine any more dramatically detailed ones than the amazing close-ups in this companion to Nic Bishop’s award winning Spiders and Frogs. The accomplished photographer writes in a conversational style with immediacy, clarity and down-to-earth humor. He states that caterpillars aren’t an attractive meal because they “look just like bird poop, or they will vomit green juice if attacked.” Moving from the familiar to unfamilia...more
Carol
I read this at a Mock Caldecott Event a few weeks ago and I loved it. I am not normally into scientific things, but this book had so many beautiful photographs of butterflies and moths in situations where a person would never see them, unless they stayed in a forest all day watching and waiting. There are photos in this book that are so amazing and unbelievable. I think it is important for children to read this book and have the opportunity to see butterflies and moths up-close and in various si...more
Sam Bloom
Nic Bishop is fantastic! The photographs are amazing, as usual, and the information is really interesting. There is one photo in here that blew me away; a caterpillar that puffs itself up to scare predators. It looked EXACTLY like a python! In fact, when I first looked I thought to myself, "Why does he have a picture of a snake in here?" Then I read the page and understood. In his description at the end of the book, he tells how he came to take that picture; let's just say it was the product of...more
Katy
Award-winning author and photographer Nic Bishop brings his vast knowledge of biology to this eye-catching exploration of butterflies and moths. With breathtaking full-page images, Nic introduces young readers to the beauty and diversity of these amazing insects, from the shockingly bright blue morpho butterfly to the nearly transparent glasswing butterfly to the mouthless luna moth. The simple, engaging text presents both basic information and fun, quirky facts about the insects' appearance, ha
Joanne Zienty
Another amazing effort from Bishop, with accurate, enlightening text and eye-popping photographs.
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Nic Bishop, who also wrote Nic Bishop Spiders and Nic Bishop Frogs, has now turned his camera lens toward butterflies and moths. He continues to capture really amazing pictures of animals. You really have to see the rain forest caterpillar on page 16. When it’s scared, it flips its upper body over and puffs up its head so that it looks exactly like a poisonous snake - really. If you didn’t know it was a caterpillar you’d never guess.

For more: http://www.imcpl.org/kids/blog/?p=2966
Paul
This is a gorgeous book, as Bishop lens gives us a front-row seat (maybe even closer) to butterflies and moths in their various stages of development, activity, and mystery. The images that occupy more than half the book are well matched by the content - I wish the background for the text had not been such strong and often primary colors, but this was minor, because I kept learning along with Bishop and was dazzled by these beautiful creations.
Penelope
Nic Bishop not only does an amazing job at photographing these animals (I highly recommend reading his story about how he got some of the shots at the end of this book.), but he also gives clear, easy to understand explanations about butterflies and moths: their habitat, life cycle, diet, etc. in a fun and interesting way. This is the first Nic Bishop book we have picked up, but we will definitely be looking for others.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The photographs are incredible. The text is pretty darn good, too.

Nic Bishop: Frogs won last year's Cybil nonfiction picture book award. Does that hurt this year's Nic Bishop entry? Or does it help it?

Just a dollop:

"There is no mistaking a butterfly. Its colorful wings skip in the air like petals blown by the wind. Blues, reds, and yellows dance in the sunlight. Some shimmer like tinsel."
Jackie
These photographic essays by Nic Bishop just can't get any better, can they? The colors, texture, and sharpness of the photos are breath-taking. The text is told in concise, kid-friendly words that won't have the child screaming to stop. Nic Bishop: Butterflies and Moths is a delight for young and old, scientist and non. The wonders of nature come blazing through each and every page.
Heather
The pictures are beautiful and the facts are fascinating. This is a great introduction, and will likely leave kids eager to learn more. Perhaps the most interesting part (to me) was in the author's note, where he talks about his mad dash to Costa Rica simply to photograph a rare caterpillar. This is a man who loves his work, and it is evident in his compelling books.
Charlyn  Trussell
Jun 23, 2010 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gr. 4 and up
All Nic Bishop books are built around his extraordinary photography and this book is no exception. The text is informational but perfectly complemented by the full-page photos showing subjects from two to four times their normal size. Then I read his narrative at the book's conclusion and learned the pains he took to get these photos and I was amazed again.
babyhippoface
Like Bordens dairy products in the old ads, if it says Nic Bishop, it's got to be good. His beautifully-detailed macro photographs are the highlight of this informative picture book. Kids will open the book for the stunning photos and the captions will draw them into the text. Like his other non-fiction books for young readers, this one is simply outstanding.
Tiffany
I'm going out on a limb and picking this book as my Monarch winner for 2012. I felt like the non-fiction selections were pretty strong, and there is not fiction book that I feel boys and girls will both get behind. So, I cast my vote for Butterflies and Moths by Nic Bishop.
Kristen
This book deserves a reward for the fascinating photography and information. The precision and detail of the images will blow you mind away. The contents of this book are suitable for all ages interested in wildlife. I rate this on the level of national geographic material.
Pamela Voyles
Nic Bishop never disappoints in his books and this is no exception. The books has beautiful photographs of moths, butterplies, and caterpillars. It would be an excellent resource for an elementary teacher to use when studying moths and butterflies or just share with the class.
Ramarie
stunning photographs! The magnification of the photos and the slick and colorful layout of the book make this an appealing package. Nic Bishop certainly seems tireless in his efforts to capture the exact photo moment. Highly recommended, as is Nic Bishop Frogs.
Emerson School  Library
Some moths feed on the tears of sleeping animals! The life of a wildlife photographer includes last-minute flights to Costa Rica, breakneck Jeep rides to the rainforest, and complex arrays of laser beams! Nonfiction read-alouds are the best. I heart Nic Bishop.
Rachel
Really beautiful, interesting, and unique photographs. The text is also easy to understand, but not so simple that children will be bored reading it. Bishop is good at including really unusual facts that children will enjoy.
  • Panda Kindergarten
  • Testing the Ice: A True Story About Jackie Robinson
  • Yucky Worms
  • Redwoods
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • Stronger Than Steel: Spider Silk DNA and the Quest for Better Bulletproof Vests, Sutures, and Parachute Rope
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind