Start by marking “Secret Six, Vol. 1: Unhinged” as Want to Read:
Secret Six, Vol. 1: Unhinged

Secret Six, Vol. 1: Unhinged (Secret Six #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,316 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
The Secret Six are back in an all-new ongoing series that promises to deliver some of the darkest, most twisted action-adventure the DC Universe has seen since...well, the last time the Secret Six got together!
Join Catman, Scandal, Deadshot, Ragdoll, and their two newest members as they hit the road on the run from some of the world's most dangerous killers! A contract has
Published September 1st 2009 by DC Comics (first published August 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Six, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Six, Vol. 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Absolute Sandman, Volume One by Neil GaimanPersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Graphic Novels That Rocked My World
144th out of 413 books — 184 voters
Irredeemable, Vol. 1 by Mark WaidThe Joker by Brian AzzarelloBatman by Grant MorrisonEmpire by Mark WaidThe Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Vol. 1 by Nick Spencer
Comics Starring Villains
7th out of 15 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Jun 07, 2014 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I dearly loved Villains United, and I really likedSecret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation. Not sure if that was intended as a miniseries or was a false start at a new ongoing. Doesn't matter. What matters is that this is great. It has Bane, and it lets him have a brain, and a heart. Deep? Not especially, but it is fun, mostly for the cast of less than savory characters.
Colleen
Dec 11, 2009 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Recently reread this and even better the second time around. Gail Simone is far and away the best writer in comics today and I wish more comics pushed the boundaries on team dynamics, humor, and plot like she does.
Ariel Marie
Jul 01, 2012 Ariel Marie rated it really liked it
Gail Simone has been a personal favorite writer of mine for quite awhile. Her work for Birds of Prey is fantastic. As always, she does a great job at building relationships between friends, which is seldom forgotten by a handful of writers. Simone does not fail at this talent with the Secret Six. It is impressive that nobody manages to steal the spotlight in Secret Six: Unhinged because all characters are treated as equal. Each one is as interesting as the next.

Unhinged picks up the actions of t
Thom
Oct 18, 2015 Thom rated it liked it
In many ways this is an absolutely fantastic book. I loved the the characters, especially Bane, he's such a cutie. The art was great. The story and the writing kept me wanting to read more. But over all it just wasn't my thing, it seemed a bit pointless. So if this is your thing, definitely read it, but if over the top DC villains screwing around isn't for you, probably read it any way!
Jeremy DeBottis
Nov 14, 2014 Jeremy DeBottis rated it liked it
I'd read multiple reviews saying this series was great, and that everyone should give it a read, and after doing so I have to say that I definitely agree, to a point. Although this is Volume 1, and was the beginning of a new series it definitely takes a little patience to get used to the characters and their relationships. They have a great deal of backstory and history that isn't developed here, and requires other installments to be read to truly understand why characters' motivations were what ...more
M
Jan 01, 2012 M rated it it was ok
The artwork is fine. The story and characters, on the other hand:

The MacGuffin the plot revolves around is kinda stupid. My initial reaction was to wonder if this was really what the story revolves around Sadly, it is. I didn't care for either Junior's identity or the identity of the person who wants the card. Maybe if I knew more about the characters in the team I would care more, but I don't. Most of the characters are uninteresting to me. The woman who joins after a few issues seems like she
Alice Urchin
Jan 07, 2014 Alice Urchin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I love Gail Simone so much. This story was really great—lots of fun plot twists without being convoluted. I really liked how funny all of the characters were and how human. I especially love Ragdoll and can't wait to learn more about him and his family. The art was fantastic. It strays a bit from the classic comic book look (in a good way). This is one of the best comics I've read in awhile. I'm really excited to get the next one.
Bruce M
Local Comic Book Store is having a $1 trade paperback sale, and the first book that catches my eye is this one, just setting there on the table.

I wasn't disappointed. This is the first full arc by Gail Simone that I believe I've had the pleasure of reading. It seems I've been missing out. Her style on this title is very much what I like to see in comics. Deep stories peppered with really serious shit. It's excellent.

The art is great, too. I wasn't familiar with Nicola Scott at all before this, b
The Library Ladies
Apr 06, 2016 The Library Ladies rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

This summer the movie “Suicide Squad” is coming out, and while a lot of people are already making fun of it (as many people are wont to do when it comes to DC movies), I’m intrigued by it and will probably go see it. I like the idea of villains being the anti-heroes and stars of the story, so “Suicide Squad” appeals to me. But along with Suicide Squad, there is another team of villains turned (sorta) good in the DC Universe, and that is the Secret S
Alan
Jan 26, 2010 Alan rated it really liked it
Gail Simone turns in a delightful caper story, where the caper is secondary to the inetraction between our actors. Very good, if not wonderful dialogue between our "heroes". Well they're not heroes, but they are not villains either. The prize, and I don't think this will ruins thing for anyone who decides to read this-a get out of hell free card for when you die.

Who wouldn't kill for that if they thought they were already bound for hell?
Craig
Oct 29, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this, I wasn't sure what I was getting into. I didn't think I was going to like it very much. But I'd heard good things about this comic, so I kept reading. By about the 3rd or 4th issue, I was drawn into it. Very well-written and interesting. A mix of humor and serious violence that can't be easy to maintain, but Simone somehow does it. I really enjoyed this.
Phil Bova
Feb 05, 2015 Phil Bova rated it it was amazing
When I read the first issue of Secret Six a little while back, I was hooked...and just had to delve into the back story of these characters. Volume 1: Unhinged-collecting issues 1-7 did not disappoint, and writer Gail Simone along with Artist Nicola Scott create a viable, albeit dysfunctional group of individuals. Much like Suicide Squad, Secret Six is much better in scope and resonance in the individuals on the team, and upon completion of Vol. 1, cannot wait to start the second volume. Not sur ...more
Gael
May 24, 2010 Gael rated it it was amazing
This book is strange and excessive in so many ways. Violent yet funny, this series is a must-read for every comic-book fan. The Lawton/Blake sequence in the convenience store (1st issue) is pure fucking gold.
Oliver Hodson
Apr 23, 2016 Oliver Hodson rated it really liked it
I still get reservation about some of the violence (I always do!) but I got more into the power of the idea of what does it mean for these characters to be together and co-operate. With a 'get out of hell free card' up for grabs that could help out any of the players or their loved ones, the final reflection for me was that mutual self-interest wasn't enough to keep these guys together, just like money and fear weren't right for the 'six'. I'm very interested as to what the compelling moral forc ...more
Geoff Sebesta
Jan 05, 2013 Geoff Sebesta rated it it was amazing
This is what comics are all about. It is compelling, inventive, and consistently amazing. It isn't perfect. It's too good to be perfect.
Lynda
Feb 29, 2012 Lynda rated it really liked it
Had some mixed feelings about this, but the humor won me over.
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it
In this collection, Simone again begins with the Secret Six recovering from losses, and again she moves them around from place to place in the process of getting back to the roster size mandated by the title. This time, the story is heavily plot-driven, and Simone makes it work. A scary and mysterious villain (whose identity I guessed from clues in the foreward, so you may want to skip that first page if you want a better surprise) hires the Six to transport a hostage across the country because ...more
Alexander Case
Oct 28, 2013 Alexander Case rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, superheroes
Very well written and entertaining book, though there is one thing about the McGuffin that caught my attention, but which nobody brought up.

[spoiler]So, the McGuffin is a Get-out-of-Hell Free Card. Literally. So, you've gotten out of Hell. That doesn't mean they'll let you into Heaven. If you have a Catholic view of the afterlife, then you may still be okay, as you get to do time in Purgatory until you have balanced the proverbial scales. However, if you're taking a Protestant, Purgatory-free vi
***Dave Hill
Oct 07, 2012 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
Collects #1-7 of the series from 2008-2009.

The gang of villains with feet of clay take on a fateful mission -- bringing back to Gotham a woman with a "Get Out of Hell" card. Everyone's skeptical, but ... who will try to stop them. Heck, who from the villainous side won't? And who within the team will betray them, and why?

This is how anti-heroes are done, people doing bad things for dubious reasons but in a way that makes you understand them and want them to succeed -- or, if not succeed, then
Sean
Nov 22, 2015 Sean rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Comics fans!
Gail Simone handles team books so well and here its no different. The Secret Six have a new job and its insane and insanely difficult. When nearly everyone wants them stopped the encounter a truly frightening foe. The non-stop action is fun to see with the great banter between the Six. Bane inclusion is interesting especially his reactions to Scandal and as always, Rag Doll steals the show. The art by Nicola Scott is fantastic and does a great job with the terrifying Junior. Overall, its a fun b ...more
Marc Lucke
May 10, 2016 Marc Lucke rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Between Scott's gorgeous art and Simone's pitch-perfect writing, this is the best team book I've read in a very long time. Both artists have such a great sense of nuance and pacing, with whole emotional palettes informing each line of dialogue and tiny panel. I can't wait to continue reading the entire run.
Stephanie
Jan 26, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
enjoyable read. fast paced and action packed. the fun thing about tales about groups like the Secret Six-the main characters are flawed and thus much more interesting than typical comic book "good guys". I definitely enjoyed getting to know Scandal and Catman, and look forward to finding more!
Catherine
Jan 31, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Terrific writing and really beautifully done artwork. Apart from that, it's got a high body count and is pretty bloody, something to bear in mind if those things turn you off a comic. Me, I'll at least try every book that Simone touches and this one certainly features her in fine fettle.
ElphabaNewlin
Gail Simone is consistently amazing and easily one of my favorite comic writers out there. SECRET SIX is everything I want DC Comics to be, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one. Rag Doll is a weirdo after my own heart.
Patrick
Nov 15, 2014 Patrick rated it liked it
This was better than what I have come to expect from a superhero series. I don't think it was revolutionary in any way, but above average. I may continue reading if I find more volumes at the library.
Andrew
Aug 27, 2014 Andrew rated it did not like it
No. I've read a lot of Gail Simone, and I can't believe this received and average of 4+ stars. It was boring, the characters weren't at all gripping, and a "get-out-of-hell free card?" Ugh. Who cares about anything that happens to anyone in this story arc. No one is compelling, funny, tragic, interesting, weird, etc. It feels like filler until the next Birds of Prey arc would happen. Don't read this.
Benjamin
Dec 20, 2015 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Forgot I read these. Only time I thought Bane was a nice emotional fella with a drug addiction vs psychopath. Very humanized villains, with a solid story.
Sara
Feb 19, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this so much. I really loved the twisty plot, the great art, and the weird-ass weirdness. I adored it, and it was dark and funny and weird. Two thumbs up.
M
Jul 30, 2011 M rated it really liked it
DC's morally ambiguous super-team - the Secret Six - are back in their ongoing volume. Having recently acquired Bane to round out their number, the Six are called in to escort C-list villain Tarantula on a transfer. Crime boss Junior does not want this to happen - since Tarantula is in the possession of a literal Get Out of Hell card. As the Six make their way across the country, the group gets new members and discovers what lengths some will go to be as bad as they want to be. Junior proves to ...more
Koen Claeys
Mar 07, 2015 Koen Claeys rated it really liked it
2nd time I read this collection. Good stuff !
COMIC BOOK CRAZIES: New Projects: Secret Six 1 10 Oct 07, 2015 05:55PM
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: Shellshocked
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1: Teenage Revolution
  • Batman: Harley and Ivy
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Secret Six (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Villains United