A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge

A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  799 ratings  ·  91 reviews
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide)Fourth Edition continues the tradition of excellence in project management with a standard that is even easier to understand and implement, with improved consistency and greater clarification. Whats new? * Standard language has been incorporated throughout the document to aid reader understanding. * New data...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Project Management Institute (first published September 1995)

Steve Walker
I passed the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam in 2005 and have maintained my certification since. The test is for the most part rote memorization. I believe just about anybody could pass the test simply by studying the manual and practicing with sample exams (many free on the internet), whether they have been involved with project management or not. But the Project management Institue (PMI) requires extensive and audit-able documentation of project experience. Still anyone can pass the...more
Nada  Abandah
I know I need to respect the effort & knowledge put into developing the PMBoK! & in it's 4th edition too! But this "standard" (which has nothing to do with standards, it's a framework that is ill-represented and not very structured) is the bases of project management as we know it today.

If you're thinking of reading it for exam purposes - Kim Heldman or Rita Mulcahy book is a much better option, if you're thinking of reading it to get to know what Project Management is all about, and ho...more
Mohammed Saeed
I read this book 4 times as it was a the assigned book for project management methodology course that I took during the master's degree plus for my prep period to write CAPM exam "Certified Associate in Project Management" which I fortunately passed it. In my humble opinion, the PMbok is the holy book for all project management specialists. Moreover, it is well structured and easy to read.
Kayleen
Mar 02, 2009 Kayleen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone taking the PMP
Recommended to Kayleen by: PMI website
Shelves: self-help
This is a must read if you plan on taking the PMP test, but it is long and dry. By "long and dry" I mean they go on and on and it sounds like it was written by a paranoid lawyer. By "PMP test" I mean the one given by the PMI people for program mgmt. By "must read" I mean you must read it. (This has been an example of the redundancy of this book. Bring caffeine and aspirin.)
Amirbabak
I studied it during an intense course of project management and really really enjoyed this book , despite having some points subject to discussion , I found this book quite complete and comprehensive.
Ben Davis
I wouldn't classify this as escape literature. Somewhat dry and technical. This really breaks down the elements of managing a project.
Jen
I read and studied this as I am in the process of getting my PMP certification. I have to admit, some of this seems like you just need to memorize it and move on, in order to pass the exam (from what I've heard). I've been doing PM for almost 14 years now, and I have never needed to know these 'theories' to do my job and to do it well. For me, it's part maturity, part common sense and part know-how in your approach and team management. For instance, you don't bullrun a project kickoff meeting. E...more
Greg
This is the standard text of the Project Management Institute that is a professional society of project managers and who certifies project management educational programs. It is not a text book. It is more of a reference. It is very comprehensive to the point of being unwieldy for the novice project manager. It is more a text that needs to be mastered for certification. It is furthermore light on actual techniques and tools you may actually use for project management, since they need to be vendo...more
Christopher
Not really for my MLIS - but for a PM class for work.

Also, I didn't really read the whole thing, just assigned portions.

I'd been familiar with the concepts of Project management for quite a while, but this is the first time I've taken the information directly from the PMBOK - generally accepted as the source for project management methodology. I was frankly surprised at how much computer software and hardware development bones seemed to be showing through. Maybe I'm just coming at the book from...more
Torben Rasmussen
This is a book that I find difficult to recommend.
It may be recommended as a secondary reference, but I think it would be more appropriate if PMI simply offered this content free-of-charge in a nice wiki style electronic format.
The knowledge offered is very structured, but not very deep and for most topics the reader will be left on his own to find better material that goes in-depth.
That said the book does provide a good structure and guide for the knowledge areas that a project manager shoul...more
Wawan Setiawan
A very typical book. This book contains standard or best practice although it's not as dry as I thought. But for people who wants to know about project management, don't start with this book. STart with something easier like For Dummies book. But you need this book once you get the hang of it. Warning though, don't use the book and comparing the process explained in the book to implement it in your company without any process mapping to your company's current practice. You have to make sure that...more
Rebecca Rosenblum
Stilted, weirdly structured, repetitive, completely without case studies or any sort of examples, full of incoherent diagrams, the PMBOK is probably designed as a reference book, not something people are actually going to read, but it's assigned as course reading and you need to essentially memorize it for the PM exam, so read it I did. It's nearly impossible to follow, and worse to apply--the whole PM philosophy seems to be basically a tool for generating paperwork. If you are assigned this boo...more
Lech Ambrzykowski
It's difficult to "judge" a reference book like the PMBOK. A body of knowledge it is, after all. Reads like a dictionary, but it's still good to have it at your side. Perhaps real-life examples, even from a more general perspective (after all, the PMBOK is not a methodology) would make it a better read in future editions.

If you attempt to obtain one of PMI's certificates, I seriously recommend to read the PMBOK - once, twice or more. It's good to "feel" the book and know where to search, when ne...more
Mlmeyers7
This is the most boring book in the world!!!!! But it captures what I must know. Need to have this read by 12/13 as well....late nights are very difficult while reading this book. College studies are coming back as fun filled events compared to this...hanging in there.

Finished and passed. I am what they say proficient and moderately proficient in many areas...hmm, what does that mean?!!

Anyway, you have to read and know and understand this book, if you want your certification.
Angela
Not exactly a reading book, but will be useful for any project management I have to do in the future.

This book is required for taking the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) exam. If you can understand the concepts and remember where things fall, you should be able to pass the exam without having to take a structured class.

Until I have a project where I need to follow the guidelines contained within, I doubt I'll be opening this book up again any time soon...
Rick Thomas
This is the fundamental guide to the art and practice of project management.
I keep an e-copy on my Kindle/Android reader so I have it wherever I go.
This is not a single solution for all things project management, and I find I turn to Kerzner's books and a host of others (see the eclectic pm book shelf) in my quest for project leadership mastery.
I do think this book is the next best thing to your passport into the world of project management.
Don't leave home without it.
Justin Greene
Nov 07, 2013 Justin Greene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Project Managers
Shelves: business
While a slightly outdated edition (they're up to the Fifth Edition now) this is still an excellent go-to guide for anyone that is interested in or practices project management. The most important thing to remember when utilizing these guides is to scale your processes to the size of your project. If not you'll find yourself burdened with an unnecessary amount of effort for very little result. PMBOKS are a must have for any project/program manager.
Gary Gudmundson
This is a guide book. What? you thought it deserved 5 stars?
Christopher
It dose exactly what is says on the tin really. It is a great help with the project management module i am doing at the moment the content is more or less very similar to the content of the lectures and so it helps me a lot with the homework side of things :D. Although it is great for its intended use it is boring , or maybe project management is just boring, I don't know I cant decide, either way I am highly recommending this one ! :D
I expected it better
Mahmoud Ramadan
it is simply the Basic reference for project management standard that is defined by Project Management Institute , it is not easy or simple book ..it is concentrated and complex book that need to be read many times.
After reading many project management books , i think that this book still one of the best reference for theoretical basics of project management
Simon Cleveland
As a project manager who was just certified PMP, I found the guide extremely helpful in solidifying the concepts of project management. The chapters are very well detailed, there are plenty of charts, formulas and examples to guide the PM body through the challenging intricacies of this field of work. A must read and study guide for all project managers.
Haytham Badawey
The topics and concepts are too generalized and too summarized at the same time, which makes this book useless for beginners, not bad for intermediate project managers, and good for memorizing for advanced professional project managers.
Eric Herr
I don't see this as a book that one ever finishes as it becomes a constant resource when managing projects. I am currently studying for my PM certification and this is a required element of obtaining that ranking. So far I have found some great information and look forward to reviewing other areas over the next several weeks.
Sri
Baca bareng satu kelas lagi. Tentang project management. Cukup ringkas namun jelas. Entah mengapa review di sini banyak yang mengatakan kalau buku ini membosankan dan sebagainya. Bagiku tidak membosankan. Lebih ngantuk waktu baca the red book, soalnya ga ngerti-ngerti. Huwaa memang parah soal geometri dan ruang :( *curcol*.
Shawn Fairweather
Reads like stereo instructions but it is the bible of Project Management. I can see that much of the knowledge contained does not get used on a continuous basis however one should still have a feel for all that is included whether they are like myself prepping for the PMP exam or simply looking for a desk reference.
Leslie
I find project management dreadful and this book was extremely boring, but unfortunately I manage small IT projects and this class was essential to take for both my job and my masters. I do not aspire to be a PM ever!!
Sally

Read to study for the CAPM. Clear and consistent format, and required reading since the test is based on the book. Do feel like I learned new things and it helped to consolidate knowledge I already had. But dry as a water cracker given to a thirsty man in the desert.
Kathy Nealen
Why PMBOK Fourth Edition is an improvement over PMBOK Third Edition:
1) Clarifies relationship among Project Management, Program Management and Portfolio Management
2) Includes a distinct "Collect Requirements" process
3) Provides consistent process names (Verb - Noun)
Kara
Jul 31, 2012 Kara added it
This is a reference book. It is not meant to be read straight through to familiarize yourself with project management. It is for project managers who are planning to become PMPs (Project Management Professionals).

It's the most used book on my bookshelf in the office.
  • Pmp Exam Prep: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the Pmp Exam
  • Project Management: A Systems Approach To Planning, Scheduling, And Controlling
  • The Fast Forward MBA in Project Management
  • The Art of Project Management
  • A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (Pmbok Guide) - 5th Edition
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
  • Leadership 2.0
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Get a Life, Not a Job: Do What You Love and Let Your Talents Work for You
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structures The Standard for Portfolio Management The Standard for Program Management Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (Opm3): Knowledge Foundation Project Manager Competency Development Framework