Start by marking “A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge” as Want to Read:
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge

A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,698 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
BRAND NEW - 4TH / FOURTH EDITION
Published January 1st 2009 by Project Management Institute (first published September 1995)

Steve Walker
I passed the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam in 2005 and have maintained my certification since. The test is for the most part rote memorization. I believe just about anybody could pass the test simply by studying the manual and practicing with sample exams (many free on the internet), whether they have been involved with project management or not. But the Project management Institue (PMI) requires extensive and audit-able documentation of project experience. Still anyone can pass the ...more
Eng.R.books
Jan 25, 2015 Eng.R.books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book for project managers and those who prepare PMP. 28-6-2015
Mohammed Saeed
Mar 04, 2012 Mohammed Saeed rated it it was amazing
I read this book 4 times as it was a the assigned book for project management methodology course that I took during the master's degree plus for my prep period to write CAPM exam "Certified Associate in Project Management" which I fortunately passed it. In my humble opinion, the PMbok is the holy book for all project management specialists. Moreover, it is well structured and easy to read.
Jen
Mar 02, 2012 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read and studied this as I am in the process of getting my PMP certification. I have to admit, some of this seems like you just need to memorize it and move on, in order to pass the exam (from what I've heard). I've been doing PM for almost 14 years now, and I have never needed to know these 'theories' to do my job and to do it well. For me, it's part maturity, part common sense and part know-how in your approach and team management. For instance, you don't bullrun a project kickoff meeting. E ...more
Nada  Abandah
I know I need to respect the effort & knowledge put into developing the PMBoK! & in it's 4th edition too! But this "standard" (which has nothing to do with standards, it's a framework that is ill-represented and not very structured) is the bases of project management as we know it today.

If you're thinking of reading it for exam purposes - Kim Heldman or Rita Mulcahy book is a much better option, if you're thinking of reading it to get to know what Project Management is all about, and ho
Amirbabak
Oct 29, 2009 Amirbabak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I studied it during an intense course of project management and really really enjoyed this book , despite having some points subject to discussion , I found this book quite complete and comprehensive.
Sami Choudhury
এতো খটমটো কঠিন বই। লাইফ বরবাদ। :(
John Deardurff
I read this book as part of a course of study at Western Governors University. For what it is used for, I would say it is a good book if your career goal is to become a Project Manager. This book has solidified my position that I do not want a to be a Project Manager at any point in my future.
Jonathan
Feb 26, 2017 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in a project management class. Dry. Very dry.

However I really appreciated the classification scheme created of all the levers in project management. Think about all the things you might be able to do to better run a project. This book's taxonomy and attempts to show the graph of interrelations is a decent way to think about what levers you want to apply on your projects.

I can't believe i am giving it these four stars. It is very dry. Was probably only enjoyable in conjunction with le
Greg
Jun 17, 2008 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is the standard text of the Project Management Institute that is a professional society of project managers and who certifies project management educational programs. It is not a text book. It is more of a reference. It is very comprehensive to the point of being unwieldy for the novice project manager. It is more a text that needs to be mastered for certification. It is furthermore light on actual techniques and tools you may actually use for project management, since they need to be vendo ...more
Christopher
Mar 07, 2012 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: for-mlis-masters
Not really for my MLIS - but for a PM class for work.

Also, I didn't really read the whole thing, just assigned portions.

I'd been familiar with the concepts of Project management for quite a while, but this is the first time I've taken the information directly from the PMBOK - generally accepted as the source for project management methodology. I was frankly surprised at how much computer software and hardware development bones seemed to be showing through. Maybe I'm just coming at the book from
Torben
Aug 23, 2012 Torben rated it it was ok
This is a book that I find difficult to recommend.
It may be recommended as a secondary reference, but I think it would be more appropriate if PMI simply offered this content free-of-charge in a nice wiki style electronic format.
The knowledge offered is very structured, but not very deep and for most topics the reader will be left on his own to find better material that goes in-depth.
That said the book does provide a good structure and guide for the knowledge areas that a project manager shoul
Wawan Setiawan
Aug 06, 2008 Wawan Setiawan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very typical book. This book contains standard or best practice although it's not as dry as I thought. But for people who wants to know about project management, don't start with this book. STart with something easier like For Dummies book. But you need this book once you get the hang of it. Warning though, don't use the book and comparing the process explained in the book to implement it in your company without any process mapping to your company's current practice. You have to make sure that ...more
Lech Ambrzykowski
Apr 17, 2010 Lech Ambrzykowski rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
It's difficult to "judge" a reference book like the PMBOK. A body of knowledge it is, after all. Reads like a dictionary, but it's still good to have it at your side. Perhaps real-life examples, even from a more general perspective (after all, the PMBOK is not a methodology) would make it a better read in future editions.

If you attempt to obtain one of PMI's certificates, I seriously recommend to read the PMBOK - once, twice or more. It's good to "feel" the book and know where to search, when ne
Rebecca Rosenblum
Oct 03, 2012 Rebecca Rosenblum rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stilted, weirdly structured, repetitive, completely without case studies or any sort of examples, full of incoherent diagrams, the PMBOK is probably designed as a reference book, not something people are actually going to read, but it's assigned as course reading and you need to essentially memorize it for the PM exam, so read it I did. It's nearly impossible to follow, and worse to apply--the whole PM philosophy seems to be basically a tool for generating paperwork. If you are assigned this boo ...more
Christopher
Sep 19, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
It dose exactly what is says on the tin really. It is a great help with the project management module i am doing at the moment the content is more or less very similar to the content of the lectures and so it helps me a lot with the homework side of things :D. Although it is great for its intended use it is boring , or maybe project management is just boring, I don't know I cant decide, either way I am highly recommending this one ! :D
Angela
Mar 10, 2011 Angela rated it it was ok
Not exactly a reading book, but will be useful for any project management I have to do in the future.

This book is required for taking the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) exam. If you can understand the concepts and remember where things fall, you should be able to pass the exam without having to take a structured class.

Until I have a project where I need to follow the guidelines contained within, I doubt I'll be opening this book up again any time soon...
Rick Thomas
Sep 08, 2012 Rick Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-eclectic-pm
This is the fundamental guide to the art and practice of project management.
I keep an e-copy on my Kindle/Android reader so I have it wherever I go.
This is not a single solution for all things project management, and I find I turn to Kerzner's books and a host of others (see the eclectic pm book shelf) in my quest for project leadership mastery.
I do think this book is the next best thing to your passport into the world of project management.
Don't leave home without it.
Justin Greene
Nov 07, 2013 Justin Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Project Managers
Shelves: business
While a slightly outdated edition (they're up to the Fifth Edition now) this is still an excellent go-to guide for anyone that is interested in or practices project management. The most important thing to remember when utilizing these guides is to scale your processes to the size of your project. If not you'll find yourself burdened with an unnecessary amount of effort for very little result. PMBOKS are a must have for any project/program manager.
Jenny Chambers
Sep 24, 2014 Jenny Chambers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foundational primer for PMP candidates, although insufficient on its own. (To that end, I highly recommend "How to pass the PMP on your first try" which I did.) Fortunately, UCSB has an excellent project management program and library section. An extra star because I truly appreciate PMI's initiative to translate the PMBOK guide into 3 of my 4 other languages, so I can beef up my PM vocabulary (for free with my PMI membership - what a deal!).
Janet Richards
Mar 24, 2015 Janet Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read much of book, but not cover to cover. But more importantly passed the PMP on May 4!!! It was valuable to see cross-industry standards and how it was different than the project management approach that I used where I worked for over 20 years. I think it is a valuable resource, but not 100% applicable in the tech industry. I'm now pursuing an Agile certification which I think will be more relevant in my field.
Mlmeyers7
Sep 20, 2008 Mlmeyers7 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most boring book in the world!!!!! But it captures what I must know. Need to have this read by 12/13 as well....late nights are very difficult while reading this book. College studies are coming back as fun filled events compared to this...hanging in there.

Finished and passed. I am what they say proficient and moderately proficient in many areas...hmm, what does that mean?!!

Anyway, you have to read and know and understand this book, if you want your certification.
Steve Whiting
Feb 17, 2016 Steve Whiting rated it liked it
Ploughed back and foward through this many times in preparation for the PMP exam. Didn't find it wildly useful, to be honest - it's got the bare information in there as reference, but it's pretty terse - emphatically a reference work rather than a tutorial.

Essentual as reference, and recommended as such, but you definitely need other sources to revise/prepare for the exam.
Kayleen
Feb 17, 2009 Kayleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone taking the PMP
Recommended to Kayleen by: PMI website
Shelves: self-help
This is a must read if you plan on taking the PMP test, but it is long and dry. By "long and dry" I mean they go on and on and it sounds like it was written by a paranoid lawyer. By "PMP test" I mean the one given by the PMI people for program mgmt. By "must read" I mean you must read it. (This has been an example of the redundancy of this book. Bring caffeine and aspirin.)
Shawn Fairweather
Jan 30, 2013 Shawn Fairweather rated it liked it
Reads like stereo instructions but it is the bible of Project Management. I can see that much of the knowledge contained does not get used on a continuous basis however one should still have a feel for all that is included whether they are like myself prepping for the PMP exam or simply looking for a desk reference.
Sri
Mar 02, 2011 Sri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Baca bareng satu kelas lagi. Tentang project management. Cukup ringkas namun jelas. Entah mengapa review di sini banyak yang mengatakan kalau buku ini membosankan dan sebagainya. Bagiku tidak membosankan. Lebih ngantuk waktu baca the red book, soalnya ga ngerti-ngerti. Huwaa memang parah soal geometri dan ruang :( *curcol*.
André
Dichter, systematischer Überblick auf 216 A4-Seiten über die verschiedenen Bereiche des Projekt-Managements: Project Integration Management, Project Scope-, Time-, Cost-, Quality-, HR-, Communications-, Risk- und Procurement Management: Deren Zwecke, Werkzeuge, Inputs/Outputs usw. Gelungenes PM-Buch.
Mahmoud Ramadan
it is simply the Basic reference for project management standard that is defined by Project Management Institute , it is not easy or simple book ..it is concentrated and complex book that need to be read many times.
After reading many project management books , i think that this book still one of the best reference for theoretical basics of project management
Eric Herr
Nov 16, 2010 Eric Herr rated it really liked it
I don't see this as a book that one ever finishes as it becomes a constant resource when managing projects. I am currently studying for my PM certification and this is a required element of obtaining that ranking. So far I have found some great information and look forward to reviewing other areas over the next several weeks.
Simon_Cleveland_Ph.D. Simon_Cleveland_Ph.D.
As a project manager who was just certified PMP, I found the guide extremely helpful in solidifying the concepts of project management. The chapters are very well detailed, there are plenty of charts, formulas and examples to guide the PM body through the challenging intricacies of this field of work. A must read and study guide for all project managers.
What is an issue tracking and its goals?? 1 1 Oct 18, 2016 04:10AM
DP Consultants: Profile 1 2 May 18, 2015 06:17PM
  • Pmp Exam Prep: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the Pmp Exam
  • Project Management: A Systems Approach To Planning, Scheduling, And Controlling
  • Head First PMP
  • Pmp: Project Management Professional: Study Guide
  • The Fast Forward MBA in Project Management
  • The PMP Exam: How to Pass On Your First Try
  • Pmp Project Management Professional Study Guide
  • The Art of Project Management
  • What I Didn't Learn in Business School: How Strategy Works in the Real World
  • The One-Page Project Manager: Communicate and Manage Any Project with a Single Sheet of Paper
  • Pervasive Information Architecture: Designing Cross-Channel User Experiences
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)–Fifth Edition
  • The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise
  • Identifying and Managing Project Risk: Essential Tools for Failure-Proofing Your Project
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • Web ReDesign 2.0: Workflow that Works
  • Earned Value Project Management

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Stakeholders have varying levels of responsibility and authority when participating on a project. This level can change over the course of the project's life cycle. Their involvement may” 0 likes
“Caso de Negocio” 0 likes