Start by marking “Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #2)” as Want to Read:
Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #2)

Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  2,542 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Doug discovers that though being Harry's best friend in Miss Mackle's second grade class isn't always easy, as Harry likes to do horrible things, it is often a lot of fun.
Published May 1st 1997 by Puffin Books (first published 1988)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Must-Have Series for Children Ages 6 to 12
88th out of 509 books — 1,060 voters
The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Kids Books Ever
214th out of 722 books — 563 voters

More lists with this book...

Dolly
Mar 13, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the first book in the Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline and Frank Remkiewicz. We've already read a couple of these stories out of order and found them to be funny, short, and entertaining. So we decided to start reading the series from the beginning.

This book introduces us to Harry and his friends and other classmates. We see that Harry does some naughty, some clever, and some downright mean things, but on the whole, he is a good kid and the narrator's best friend. The story takes us
Nicola Mansfield
Reading books as I clear off the shelves. This book has been around for ever and I've never actually read it. I'm pretty sure my oldest boy did read it. It's not badly written and held my attention for what it is but there are much better books out there. Harry is not very endearing. He's a troublemaker but I found nothing to make me like him. At least the "Horrid Henry" books are hilarious. This wasn't even funny. Not a bad book, but just ok for an early chapter book.
Kristine Pratt
I like Horrible Harry. I like the narrator Doug more. The delight he takes in the antics of his friend, and his own honesty in how he sometimes does 'horrible' things too made for a great tale. What I love is that some of these 'horrible' things were actually great actions of friendship and understanding.

And some of them were just horrible.

Still, I laughed. And enjoyed this book thoroughly.

The pacing isn't real fast, but the story is a good one. I'll look for more in the series. And I would d
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Marlee
We've read many of the books in this series. However, though this book did capture my children's attention, I didn't like it. In most of the books we've read from this series, Harry is truly horrible, but just a child that happens to like gross things. In this book he was truly horrible. My children were appalled by some of the things he did. And though this may have been written before others we've read, some of the things that happened in this book, had happened in other books from this series ...more
Autumn
We picked this up from K's school library. I remember reading Horrible Harry when I was a young kid and I am glad I get to read it to my son now. Not sure he truly understands Harry being Horrible or why he does the things he does. But he does find some of what Harry does to be funny. With this story it is told by Doug Harry's best friend. It is truly funny to see what situations Harry finds himself in and how he gets out of them. I do see us reading Horrible Harry in the future. This is one set ...more
Krishnaprasad Chaitanya
Awesome book for kids. Very funny.
Brandi

Despite all of Harry's horrible acts, Doug is his best friend. Sometimes, Doug even helps Harry do horrible things. Regardless of Harry's true intentions, sometimes he doesn't mean to do horrible thin
Xiaoxiao Zhu
What a horrible boy that Harry is! Harry likes to do horrible things. He scares girls with slithery, slimy snakes. He has perfected the knuckle noogies, specifically while playing "Seven Up." He hoards broken pencils and crayons to use in the creation of his frightening Stub People army which will eventually take over the classroom.

Yes! This is horrible Harry, but he is a really interesting boy. So I almost laughed out when I read this book. And also if you read this book, you will find out tha
Kirsten Blau
I remember reading a couple Horrible Harry books when I was a kid. They were not my favorite books but I still enjoyed the stories. I think that Harry is definitely a mess, always getting into trouble causing mischief wherever he goes. He tends to enjoy playing pranks and practical jokes. He can be mean at times and other times he seems like a boy who likes to test others to see what they will do. I find a little humor is some of his schemes.
Brandon Johnson
I seem to recall reading this in kindergarten. Frankly, I remember very little about these, except that Harry was, presumably, horrible. There was also one that had a bunch of jokes about the "poop" deck on a boat, which second-grade me probably found hilarious. Still, these were definitely early reads for me, so going on the shelf.
Superreader300
This book is about horrible Harry. He put a snake in front of Song Lee and he pounced on Sydney and made him say, "I love girls" three times. He also shook hands with a slug on his hand. My mom doesn't like the things that Harry did! Something happened to Harry, too. A bee came out of the trashcan and stung him!
Jerome
An enjoyable addition to the series, with all of Harry’s usual antics (scaring girls with snakes and occupying the classroom with an army of pencil-and-crayon figures.) And, of course, Harry shows a soft spot for the shy Song Lee, helping her out when she can’t decide whether or not to join the school play.
Alex Smith

1. Genre: Realistic Fiction

2. Awards: None

3. Grade Level: 1st-2nd

4. This book is the first installment of the very popular Horrible Harry series. I would use this book to introduce my students to characterization, and how each character in the story has their own unique personality, and traits. As a follow-up activity, I would hand my students a list with names of 5 of the characters in the story. Each student would then write down each character's noticeable characteristics. This activity would
Kristi Lamont
This was another one whose protagonist just didn't click with the readers/listeners here. "Harry doesn't really seem that horrible, does he?" asked one of my nephews. No, no he doesn't.
Stevie
I absolutely loved the chapter about creating the stub people, and Harry's classmates' reactions.

My 7 year old did not find it as entertaining. He said he kept waiting for something big to happen. Truthfully, so was I.

I might enjoy the series more now I know more of what to expect, but the boy said he'd rather read something else.

Pros: Some funny parts (at least to adults). Easy read and good transition into chapter books.

Cons: Slow plot. Nothing big happens (only a con if you keep waiting for i
Heather Loomis
Read it with my soon to be 1st grader. She loved being able to read some paragraphs and pages while I read the rest. Harry is funny!
Jodie
Fun boys book. Read with my sons. It is funny, but I don't like to be teased, so parts of it I don't like personally.
Ensiform
A very brief chapter book directed at second graders. I liked it a lot: Kline knows how to create situations that are important to kids at that age, like tattling, lying, being nice and so on. She deals with themes that second graders wonder about, but make them funny by using silly or surprising characters. Her Harry is a trouble-maker, but (unlike Junie B. Jones) he’s not rude or crude, and he has a heart and a brain. In Room 2B, Kline introduces the characters. It’s an episodic book, but culm ...more
Catherine Louise
my baby books: horrible harry series
Kate
good book but better for kids under 8
Evan
A book I had meant to read for some time after having seen it all over elementary schools for the past decade, Horrible Harry is a pretty heartwarming and fun-loving villain, if only in his own revolting way. The very short novel (56 pages including a brief paragraph about the author and illustrator) is narrated by his best friend Doug, who is often a partner-in-crime to Harry's schemes to shock and gross out his classmates and teachers. Definitely a book I would recommend to second graders, esp ...more
Kathleen
I like this series for early/young independent readers. Harry is somewhat horrible, but he is more than redeemed by his creativity, sense of fun, and the friendship he has with Doug and Song Lee. The books often have good cultural and moral messages (I particularly liked the Dragon War), and Harry does those things that most little kids would like to try at some point. There is a discontinuity in that later on, Song Lee has supposedly been Harry's best friend since Kindergarten. Whatever.
junia
It's been around 15 years and I still perk up when I see/hear/read the name Horrible Harry. The familiar black and white print binding and the wide devilish smile - ah Harry! I recall devouring these books as a child, cringing and feeling utter disgust when Harry's at his worst, but then also being moved to pity when things happen to him.

Also, as one of the few Asians in my elementary school, it was definitely a triumph to have the crush be Song Lee Park, a Korean girl :)
Danielle
Oh my goodness! I honestly didn't even THINK I'd be able to find this book on goodreads.com. Suzy Kline was my 2nd grade teacher at Southwest School in Torrington, CT! My name actually appears (I think in the back of the book) as she had dedicated the book to my class that year - find me... Danielle Whitney. Too funny. Anyway, I used to adore these books when I was child and of course, most of it had to do with the fact that the author was my teacher!
Lisa
The first in a really fun series for beginning readers. It is told from the perspective of Harry's best friend Doug, and each chapter is a story of something crazy that Harry does, like dressing up like a snake for Halloween and being 20 minutes late to class because he had to slither down the hall. Very fun, and very simple. I read the first with my son to get him into ther series, and he should be able to read all the rest of the books on his own :).
Carrie
We have a lot of the Horrible Harry books. I started reading them when my oldest needed books in first grade. They are great. Perfect for either read aloud as family books or read alone for young readers of either gender. Somehow I think nearly every little kid (but especially boys) is "horrible harry" in some way. It makes me smile, and the message about inherent goodness in little boys is spot on.
Lindsey
Harry is a horrid student. Constantly causing problems, playing pranks, being a nuisance. Regardless of his behavior, he has a friend who sticks by his side, Doug, and sees that Harry isn't really all that bad deep down.

I would use this book in a guided reading group with my readers that are ready to transition into chapter books. It's an entertaining, easy read.
Emily Warner
This is definitely a book that elementary students could easily relate to while they are reading. Harry, a second grader also known as Horrible Harry, always seems to be getting into some kind of trouble at school. However, the reader will eventually find that Harry is not so bad sometimes and can actually be a nice friend.
Bick Mcswiney
the perfect voice of a second grader, concrete, excitable, coming to slightly different conclusions than an adult. a great way to introduce morality and being nice, in a non-protagonist who acts in the normal fashion of a aforementioned second grader. good reading for the littler ones, for sure.
horrible harry 5 15 Nov 07, 2012 11:29AM
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Alone in His Teacher's House
  • Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon
  • Zap! I'm A Mind Reader
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (Junie B. Jones, #18)
  • My Name Is Maria Isabel
Suzy Kline, nee Weaver, was an elementary school teacher for 25 years and most of her books are based on the experiences she had while teaching. Suzy and Rufus got married and had two daughters named Jennifer and Emily. Now, more than 24 years after writing her first book, Suzy has traveled all over the United States helping children learn how to enjoy reading and writing.
More about Suzy Kline...

Horrible Harry (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion
  • Horrible Harry and the Purple People
  • Song Lee and the Leech Man
  • Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom
  • Horrible Harry's Secret
Horrible Harry and the Dungeon Horrible Harry and the Green Slime Horrible Harry and the Kickball Wedding Horrible Harry's Secret Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion