Start by marking “Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #1)” as Want to Read:
Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #1)

Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,916 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Doug discovers that though being Harry's best friend in Miss Mackle's second grade class isn't always easy, as Harry likes to do horrible things, it is often a lot of fun.
Published May 1st 1997 by Puffin Books (first published 1988)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Must-Have Series for Children Ages 6 to 12
84th out of 598 books — 1,193 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Kids Books Ever
236th out of 808 books — 635 voters

More lists with this book...

Dolly
Mar 13, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the first book in the Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline and Frank Remkiewicz. We've already read a couple of these stories out of order and found them to be funny, short, and entertaining. So we decided to start reading the series from the beginning.

This book introduces us to Harry and his friends and other classmates. We see that Harry does some naughty, some clever, and some downright mean things, but on the whole, he is a good kid and the narrator's best friend. The story takes us
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 23, 2014 Nicola Mansfield rated it liked it
Reading books as I clear off the shelves. This book has been around for ever and I've never actually read it. I'm pretty sure my oldest boy did read it. It's not badly written and held my attention for what it is but there are much better books out there. Harry is not very endearing. He's a troublemaker but I found nothing to make me like him. At least the "Horrid Henry" books are hilarious. This wasn't even funny. Not a bad book, but just ok for an early chapter book.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 07, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, easy-reader, humor
I like Horrible Harry. I like the narrator Doug more. The delight he takes in the antics of his friend, and his own honesty in how he sometimes does 'horrible' things too made for a great tale. What I love is that some of these 'horrible' things were actually great actions of friendship and understanding.

And some of them were just horrible.

Still, I laughed. And enjoyed this book thoroughly.

The pacing isn't real fast, but the story is a good one. I'll look for more in the series. And I would d
Alison
Mar 19, 2016 Alison added it
Title: Horrible Harry in Room 2B

Author: Suzy Kline

Illustrator: Frank Remkiewicz

Genre: Transitional Chapter Book. Juvenile Fiction

Theme(s): Friendship, School, Empathy

Opening Line/Sentence: “Harry sits next to me in Room 2B.”

Brief Book Summary: Harry is a second grader who is known to others as “Horrible Harry” by his classmates. We learn of some of the pranks and so-called horrible things that he has done. However, we get to see a different side of him as he is described throughout the story by
Dharia Scarab
Jul 04, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Marlee
Feb 16, 2014 Marlee rated it it was ok
We've read many of the books in this series. However, though this book did capture my children's attention, I didn't like it. In most of the books we've read from this series, Harry is truly horrible, but just a child that happens to like gross things. In this book he was truly horrible. My children were appalled by some of the things he did. And though this may have been written before others we've read, some of the things that happened in this book, had happened in other books from this series ...more
Autumn
Apr 10, 2014 Autumn rated it it was amazing
We picked this up from K's school library. I remember reading Horrible Harry when I was a young kid and I am glad I get to read it to my son now. Not sure he truly understands Harry being Horrible or why he does the things he does. But he does find some of what Harry does to be funny. With this story it is told by Doug Harry's best friend. It is truly funny to see what situations Harry finds himself in and how he gets out of them. I do see us reading Horrible Harry in the future. This is one set ...more
Krishnaprasad Chaitanya
Awesome book for kids. Very funny.
Brandi
Jan 26, 2011 Brandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, 2011

Despite all of Harry's horrible acts, Doug is his best friend. Sometimes, Doug even helps Harry do horrible things. Regardless of Harry's true intentions, sometimes he doesn't mean to do horrible thin
Xiaoxiao Zhu
Oct 03, 2012 Xiaoxiao Zhu rated it really liked it
What a horrible boy that Harry is! Harry likes to do horrible things. He scares girls with slithery, slimy snakes. He has perfected the knuckle noogies, specifically while playing "Seven Up." He hoards broken pencils and crayons to use in the creation of his frightening Stub People army which will eventually take over the classroom.

Yes! This is horrible Harry, but he is a really interesting boy. So I almost laughed out when I read this book. And also if you read this book, you will find out tha
Kirsten Blau
Sep 23, 2014 Kirsten Blau rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I remember reading a couple Horrible Harry books when I was a kid. They were not my favorite books but I still enjoyed the stories. I think that Harry is definitely a mess, always getting into trouble causing mischief wherever he goes. He tends to enjoy playing pranks and practical jokes. He can be mean at times and other times he seems like a boy who likes to test others to see what they will do. I find a little humor is some of his schemes.
Amanda
May 21, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
A simple book, but one that I rather liked. It very much brought to mind the time when my wonderful 6-year-old reminded me (through his lovely example) that sometimes the "horrible" kids or those that aren't "the best influence" are the ones that need a good friend the very most, and have important things of their own to teach.
Bobbie Jo Leighty
Feb 24, 2016 Bobbie Jo Leighty rated it it was amazing
Horrible Harry in Room 2B is one of the many Horrible Harry books. I enjoyed reading this one especially as a kid because Harry brings a snake into his new classroom and is always causing some kind of mischief. Horrible Harry books were amongst the first chapter books i ever read and i remember not being able to put this series down.
Brandon Johnson
I seem to recall reading this in kindergarten. Frankly, I remember very little about these, except that Harry was, presumably, horrible. There was also one that had a bunch of jokes about the "poop" deck on a boat, which second-grade me probably found hilarious. Still, these were definitely early reads for me, so going on the shelf.
Ashley Exford
I feel that "Horrible Harry in Room 2B" is a great chapter book to start out with with students. I believe the students will want to find out more about Harry's fun adventures and get to know that Harry is not actually so horrible. He just happens to get into a lot of trouble at school, but what kid doesn't?
Superreader300
Jul 05, 2015 Superreader300 rated it it was amazing
This book is about horrible Harry. He put a snake in front of Song Lee and he pounced on Sydney and made him say, "I love girls" three times. He also shook hands with a slug on his hand. My mom doesn't like the things that Harry did! Something happened to Harry, too. A bee came out of the trashcan and stung him!
Jerome
Mar 14, 2015 Jerome rated it really liked it
An enjoyable addition to the series, with all of Harry’s usual antics (scaring girls with snakes and occupying the classroom with an army of pencil-and-crayon figures.) And, of course, Harry shows a soft spot for the shy Song Lee, helping her out when she can’t decide whether or not to join the school play.
Kaye
Mar 27, 2016 Kaye rated it it was ok
This book can be used to teach students about friendship and respect. It can also be used to teach what not to do if you want to be friends with others. I would have students write about what qualities make a good friend.
Melissa Namba
Jul 13, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it liked it
Shelves: coplin
harry is not horrible. he is a curious little boy with a good heart. he helps out song Lee by creating a dead fish role in the class play. he takes care of Doug even when Doug is kind of being a jerk. he reminds me of link.
Alex Smith
Oct 27, 2013 Alex Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fab-40

1. Genre: Realistic Fiction

2. Awards: None

3. Grade Level: 1st-2nd

4. This book is the first installment of the very popular Horrible Harry series. I would use this book to introduce my students to characterization, and how each character in the story has their own unique personality, and traits. As a follow-up activity, I would hand my students a list with names of 5 of the characters in the story. Each student would then write down each character's noticeable characteristics. This activity would
Erin Wetzel
Jan 27, 2016 Erin Wetzel rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
This Horrible Harry does absolutely horrible things to the kids in his class. This series is good in a class because a teacher can easily point out the things a student should never ever do.
Kristi Lamont
Jun 23, 2015 Kristi Lamont rated it it was ok
This was another one whose protagonist just didn't click with the readers/listeners here. "Harry doesn't really seem that horrible, does he?" asked one of my nephews. No, no he doesn't.
Stevie
Jul 02, 2013 Stevie rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the chapter about creating the stub people, and Harry's classmates' reactions.

My 7 year old did not find it as entertaining. He said he kept waiting for something big to happen. Truthfully, so was I.

I might enjoy the series more now I know more of what to expect, but the boy said he'd rather read something else.

Pros: Some funny parts (at least to adults). Easy read and good transition into chapter books.

Cons: Slow plot. Nothing big happens (only a con if you keep waiting for i
Heather Loomis
Jun 17, 2014 Heather Loomis rated it it was amazing
Read it with my soon to be 1st grader. She loved being able to read some paragraphs and pages while I read the rest. Harry is funny!
Jodie
Jan 26, 2015 Jodie rated it liked it
Fun boys book. Read with my sons. It is funny, but I don't like to be teased, so parts of it I don't like personally.
Rebecca
Jun 10, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
This book was both funny and interesting. it wasn't my favorite because the main character is a bully
Ensiform
Mar 15, 2012 Ensiform rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, kidfic
A very brief chapter book directed at second graders. I liked it a lot: Kline knows how to create situations that are important to kids at that age, like tattling, lying, being nice and so on. She deals with themes that second graders wonder about, but make them funny by using silly or surprising characters. Her Harry is a trouble-maker, but (unlike Junie B. Jones) he’s not rude or crude, and he has a heart and a brain. In Room 2B, Kline introduces the characters. It’s an episodic book, but culm ...more
Jana Smith
Mar 10, 2016 Jana Smith rated it really liked it
Great for new readers wanting a chapter book! Very entertaining!
Drusilla
Sep 30, 2015 Drusilla rated it liked it
Second - good book for September.
Catherine Louise
Aug 01, 2015 Catherine Louise rated it really liked it
my baby books: horrible harry series
horrible harry 5 15 Nov 07, 2012 11:29AM
  • The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • Zap! I'm A Mind Reader
  • Alone in His Teacher's House
  • Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel
  • Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Tooth Trouble (Ready, Freddy! #1)
  • Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying (Junie B. Jones, #4)
Suzy Kline, nee Weaver, was an elementary school teacher for 25 years and most of her books are based on the experiences she had while teaching. Suzy and Rufus got married and had two daughters named Jennifer and Emily. Now, more than 24 years after writing her first book, Suzy has traveled all over the United States helping children learn how to enjoy reading and writing.
More about Suzy Kline...

Horrible Harry (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Horrible Harry and the Green Slime (Horrible Harry, #2)
  • Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion