Start by marking “Bonny's Big Day” as Want to Read:
Bonny's Big Day

Bonny's Big Day

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  313 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The storytelling magic of James Herriot has become a warm, joyful part of our children's lives. Bonny's Big Day is the endearing tale of Farmer Skipton and his beloved cart horse Bonny, who one day comes out of "retirement" for a very special day on the town.
Published August 15th 1991 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Bonny's Big Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonny's Big Day

Sarah McPherson
Feb 11, 2016 Sarah McPherson rated it it was amazing
This book is mildly interesting, but I didn't see anything wrong with it. And it's a good bedtime story for younger people. Why not give it five stars?
Emma Filbrun
Oct 27, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it it was amazing
Bonny’s Big Day is another of James Herriot’s beautiful stories for children. The pictures are gorgeous paintings, and the story is lovely. In this story, which I’ve read uncountable times to my little people, the vet goes to take care of a carthorse’s sore foot. He pulls out the offending nail, and then tells the farmer he should take his horse to the Family Pets class at the local show. This horse hasn’t done any work for 12 years, and is kept only for the farmer’s pleasure, so of course she i ...more
Rosa Cline
Mar 03, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
My daughter and I love Mr Herriot's books! He was a vet and has turned his experiences and people and animals he meet throughout the years into wonderfully told stories!

This story is about an elderly man and his two retired horses aged 20 and 30! He keeps them as 'pets' since they deserved their retirement. The vet talks the gentleman into entering Bonny in a pet competition he doesn't look at his animals as pets but the next day he arrives with Bonny all dressed up and he's very proud of her.
Shannon
Mar 28, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
This whole series of James Herriott books illustrated by Ruth Brown are lovely picture books. "Bonny's Big Day" tells the story of an old retired farmer, Mr. Skipton, who has lovingly granted his elderly draft horses a beautiful retirement on his property. When Dr. Herriott comes to tend to Dolly's injured hoof, he comments on how good she and Bonny have it on Mr. Skipton's land. Mr. Skipton doesn't see that he is doing anything special by granting them a retirement. He sees this as their right. ...more
Jenny
Feb 18, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
This is an excerpt from one of James Herriot’s memoirs, sympathetically illustrated by Ruth Brown (of Dark Dark Night fame). It’s a nice little story and the text hasn’t really been simplified, so children who enjoy it might like to progress onto reading It Shouldn’t Happen To A Vet. Aside from being a Herriot fan myself, I’m massively in favour of books which smudge the borders between child and adult reading, and encourage child readers to explore outside of their reading band.
Aletheia Ubben
Jun 25, 2015 Aletheia Ubben rated it it was amazing
Really lovely illustrations accompany this story, adapted by Herriot from his own writings. (Aletheia's review: "I have no opinion whatsoever of Mom's attempt at a Dale brogue...")
Clare Farrelly
Jul 06, 2015 Clare Farrelly rated it really liked it
These books are beautifully illustrated wonderful stories. They are amazing because they are true and so heart warming.
Rina
Sep 03, 2014 Rina rated it really liked it
The description is quite apt. This is a very endearing story about a horse and his farmer.
Cayleigh
Jul 02, 2015 Cayleigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, read-2015
I've had this book for as long as I can remember. Beautiful story, and amazing illustrations. Clydesdales have always been one of my favorite animals and even to this day I get enjoyment reading and soaking up the illustrations.
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
This is quick and easy read on the "It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet" character. The story deals with a farmer and his horse, which wins a trophy. The illustrations by Ruth Brown are captivating and add life to the story. Good story books for younger ones.
mart
Aug 08, 2012 mart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie is a retired heavy horse. One day her owner decides to enter her into the local pet contest. A lovely and charming children's book for all ages.
Bree
Apr 24, 2012 Bree rated it it was amazing
Notes:
Herriot books for kids are always a favorite
rather long, best for age 5+
beautiful illustrations
Carrie
Apr 05, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing
I read this as a young girl and loved it! I now read it to my Daughter and still love it! :)
Shannon
May 10, 2011 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1990
"Shannon 11-7-90." I had an abbreviated OMGHORSES phase compared to many girls, I think.
Sarah May
Oct 19, 2012 Sarah May rated it really liked it
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing
My future child(ren) WILL read these.
Paige
Aug 13, 2016
Kristen Amy Loyd Cece
Kristen Amy Loyd Cece marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Christine Fernandez
Christine Fernandez marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Magnetawanfarmers
Magnetawanfarmers rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Lindsay Bassett
Lindsay Bassett rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Mary Rose
Mary Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Kaela Andrew
Kaela Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • Angus Lost
  • Beat the Turtle Drum
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • Come On, Seabiscuit!
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...