Start by marking “Upon A Dark Night (Peter Diamond, #5)” as Want to Read:
Upon A Dark Night (Peter Diamond, #5)

Upon A Dark Night (Peter Diamond #5)

A young woman is dumped, injured and unconscious, in a private hospital’s parking lot. She is an amnesiac with no memory prior to her discovery by hospital personnel. Detective Inspector Peter Diamond of the Bath homicide squad is unwilling to become involved. He has other, more important cases to solve: A woman has plunged to her death from the roof of a local landmark ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Soho Crime (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Upon A Dark Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon A Dark Night

Bonnie
Aug 05, 2016 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I am a dedicated fan of crime and mystery writing. That is really an understatement because I have read entire series of authors like Louise penny, Dexter Collins, Sue Grafton, Stieg Larsson, Mo Hayder, Henning Mankell, Carl Hiaasen, O. D. James, Lawrence Block, Harlan Coben, Patricia Cornwell, Arthur Conan Doyle and of course, the original mystery and crime writer Edgar Allan Poe who is credited with inventing the Detective story with The Purloined Letter written in 1844. If ever a writer was ...more
Tony
Jan 09, 2014 Tony rated it it was amazing
UPON A DARK NIGHT. (1997). Peter Lovesey. *****.
This is another marvelous mystery from this award-winning author. This one features Inspector Peter Diamond of the Bath constabulary. He is faced with the death of an old man on an isolated farm – apparently a suicide using a shotgun. Next he is confronted by a young woman who was found wandering on one of the motorways who had lost her memory. Who was she and how did she fit in? Later, one of her roommates at the women’s rescue house fell from one
Linda
Jul 29, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
It's a mystery, and a cracking good one. Upon a Dark Night opens with a case of amnesia, a young woman found unconscious in a hospital parking lot. "Rose" is released into the care of Bath Social Services, and is soon reunited with her step-sister. In the meantime, head of murder squad Peter Diamond is bored and listless, in the absence of any murder cases, stuck working on an apparent suicide and a woman who fell off a roof. He won't be bored for long.

Though his colleagues believe Diamond has s
LJ
First Sentence: A young woman opened her eyes.

An unconscious woman, found in a hospital parking lot, awakens to find she has no memory. Released to social services, she is placed in a hostel and befriended and named “Rose” by Ada Shaftsbury; a good soul with a large personality and a penchant for shoplifting. The Bath police have their own problems with the apparent suicides of an elderly farmer by shotgun and a woman off a roof. But were they suicides and how do they link to Rose, whom Ada is p
Reggie Billingsworth
Nov 01, 2014 Reggie Billingsworth rated it it was amazing
Several chapters into this title I knew I had read it some years ago but kept going because the usual convenient forgetfulness I suffer meant I could not recall the progress of the plot or it's finale.
And what a finale!
Also re-reading Lovesey is worth it because he just writes so damn well. Efficiently and vividly. Even during the little side scenes: "The wretched man trudged toward the front door like the closing shot of a somber East European film." How much more succinct can you be in such a
Connie
Jun 29, 2014 Connie rated it really liked it
This was another excellent mystery by Lovesey! I read it over a wedding weekend trip to Atlanta and was not disappointed. From the very beginning he had me hooked with the young woman who has suffered amnesia. The setting of Bath is always a welcome one and I thought the characters were excellent especially Ada and "Rose"
Highly recommended!!
Lydia Lewis
Oct 08, 2016 Lydia Lewis rated it really liked it
Yet another story I have read recently involving memory loss. Very strange, as I have not read all that many in my whole life! I love the Diamond/Wigfull dynamic. I also loved the Ada character!
Richard
Oct 04, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it
Very entertaining British police mystery involving Peter Diamond, the head of the murder squad in Bath. There are a number of interesting characters and plot twists. It's easy to read and keeps drawing you in as you try to understand what has happened.
Elizabeth
Dec 05, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Still enjoying this series even though Peter Diamond's character is stalled a bit. Although there's a surprise at the end that I hope will shake him up. The best thing about this series is the information about Bath and surrounding areas. We go inside apartments in the Royal Crescent Royal Crescent and outside Bath a mile or two to a smallholding where a 7th century silver sword was found and to swanky department stores, small tea shops, a woman's hostel (actually operated by social services) an ...more
Corny
Sep 12, 2016 Corny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
These books are great fun for detective fans. Peter Diamond is a great character and his life seems to have undergone some change in each of the books which keeps the series fresh. In this one, we meet the irrepressible Ada Shaftsbury, a wonderful foil for Diamond with a great personality. The solution to this mystery, the apparent suicide of an old farmer, is pretty far-fetched but the journeys are much more interesting than the solutions. I will keep reading.
Bettie☯

Read by.................. Christopher Kay
Total Runtime......... 12 Hours 57 Mins

Description: A young woman is dumped, injured and unconscious, in a private hospital’s parking lot. She is an amnesiac with no memory prior to her discovery by hospital personnel. Detective Inspector Peter Diamond of the Bath homicide squad is unwilling to become involved. He has other, more important cases to solve: A woman has plunged to her death from the roof of a local landmark while half the young people of Bat
Susy
Feb 23, 2009 Susy rated it really liked it
A Diamond I’d forgot to get. I can read out of order and it doesn’t bother me. I liked the scenes in this book with him and Steph, and his relationship with Julie and thought that Lovesey was a master handler with them in the following books. The main character here is a girl who has amnesia, and is befriended by a great comic female with kleptomania, one of the two corpses is also a girl. So Diamond is surrounded by women, with the exception of his hated rival, D.S. Wigfull. Let us say that he ...more
John Lee
Sep 19, 2015 John Lee rated it really liked it
My next in the series. It looked like it was going to develope into the 'darker' kind of novel that I am not particularly fond of, but I shouldnt have worried, it was just scene setting for the story to follow. Another good tale it was too, well up to previous standards. I particularly like the interaction between Diamond and his wife which cause me to smile to myself in recognition.
There were plenty of red herrings or as I now choose to think of them 'author misdirections'. I have to admit that
Liz
Feb 05, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I have always enjoyed a good mystery or police procedural. There is no shortage of authors writing in this genre, but it's challenging finding a good one. Author Peter Lovesey is no newcomer to the field. Surprisingly, he has escaped my notice until now.

Murder or suicide? Peter Diamond must uncover the truth and find a missing woman suffering from amnesia, who may have the key to both cases. Can Diamond find her before she becomes the next corpse?

This was a well written mystery, with quirky, e
Krista
Aug 29, 2012 Krista rated it liked it
Diamond at it again. Intriguing amnesia storyline, a wonderfully crass and colorful shoplifter with a heart of gold and Saxon artifacts, all rolled up into a pat-answer burrito.

One of the dependable, likable main characters makes an exit at the end; wonder how the series will suffer as a result.

And, yeah, despite the fact that this series is a bit of a stretch, I'm enjoying the ride. Onward.
Lisa
A 1/2 star would come in handy here. While better than your average mystery, Upon a Dark Night has some weak spots. Lovesey's Peter Diamond series is almost always a pleasant diversion, though some flex the brain a bit more than this one which was too easy to figure out which left me waiting for them to get on with it. The character of Ada was more than a bit annoying, but essential. Setting nicely developed and the Bath glow well exploited. Diverting, but not deep.
Jill Hutchinson
Jun 20, 2011 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Lovesey certainly knows how to spin a good tale. This book featuring DCI Peter Diamond finds him and his partner searching for a young woman who has lost her memory and may or may not be involved in a murder disguised as a suicide. When a second murder cum suicide occurs, the chase is on even though Diamond takes a few wrong turns on the way to the solution. This is one of my favorites of the Peter Diamond series and it will keep you guessing as red herrings abound. Recommended.
Andrea
Aug 24, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Hugely enjoyable whodunnit featuring the formidable detective Peter Diamond. Lovesey's style and plotting is immaculate, the characters are well-rounded and the conclusion does not disappoint - as is the case with many other crime novels. If you like the plots of Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels, Lovesey is your man. That said, while charismatic and likeable enough, Peter Diamond is nothing like Morse.
Bryan Higgs
Aug 15, 2016 Bryan Higgs rated it really liked it
I recently discovered this series, and this is the second I've read in this series (out of sequence because my local library only had this one).

So far, they are very good. This one has a complex mystery, pulling together three seemingly unrelated crimes into one. Very well done, and kept me transfixed for a long time

Recommended!
Neil B
Jun 02, 2008 Neil B rated it really liked it
Having not read any of the Peter Diamond mysteries I picked this up on holiday and was pleasantly surprised. From the offset the characters gripped you and it was genuinely difficult to put the book down.

Maybe not quite as fast paced as Tell No One, but if you enjoy detective stories that keep you guessing to the end, it's well worth a read.
Mel
Aug 14, 2012 Mel rated it liked it
Much of the book was from the viewpoint of Rose who was suffering from amnesia and I really enjoyed that aspect. Following her trying to piece even her recent past together with her charming chum from the homeless shelter, Ada was just as fun (if not more so) as Peter Diamond's unraveling of the murder.
Abbe
Jan 13, 2013 Abbe rated it really liked it
Great book, couldn't put it down. It's quite unpredictable and has a great plot with an unexpected amount of action. Found some bits hard to get to and a little confusing to begin with but soon got the flow of it and couldn't put it down, just kept needing to know what was going to happen next. Will definitely read more of this sort of genre not my usual thing bu different is definitely good.
Lesley
Apr 20, 2014 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Peter Diamond mystery, if I could I would have given it 3 and 1/2 stars. I had a hard time getting into the story because I really did not like Rose. But, the ending was great and I really liked seeing the evolution of Diamond and Julie's relationship as well as the subtle but key role his wife plays. I will definitely be continuing with the series.
AMANDA SMITH
Apr 26, 2016 AMANDA SMITH rated it it was amazing
A complete departure from my normal historical mystery. The cover attracted me,and as the library is free I thought why not? I modern mystery set in Bath starts with three unrelated stories until they are woven into a climax. Wow! First book I have read from this author, and will be reading more. Could not put it down.
Julie
Jan 23, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've been slowly working through this series. I think this is the best one so far. I found the story really engrossing. Well plotted, nicely twisty. I enjoy the regular characters and the ones particular to this story seemed very good as well. On to the next.....
Virginia Walter
Mar 28, 2012 Virginia Walter rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A classic British police procedural featuring Inspector Peter Diamond who manages to solve two deaths that at first appear to be unrelated suicides but turn out to be murders with a complex connection. The Bath setting is a plus.
Mintzis
Dec 15, 2015 Mintzis rated it really liked it
A well done mystery that starts with a young woman who wakes up with amnesia. The side characters are sharply etched and believable. The worth of a mystery is how realistic it is, and this one measures up.
Val
May 22, 2015 Val rated it really liked it
Two incidents for Peter Diamond to investigate at the same time. One a reclusive bad tempered farmer and another, a girl who is suffering from amnesia. Are they connected and are they suicides or murders?
Puzzle Doctor
Aug 04, 2015 Puzzle Doctor rated it it was amazing
An outstanding mystery weaving many plot threads together into a satisfying whole. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com
Theodore Kinni
Jan 20, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Two apparent suicides and a case of amnesia set the stage for a suitably convoluted English police procedural featuring Lovesey's wonderfully flawed detective superintendent.
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Silent Voices (Vera Stanhope, #4)
  • A Drink of Deadly Wine
  • Artemis
  • The Bad Book Affair (Mobile Library Mystery, #4)
  • A Man Lay Dead / Enter a Murderer / The Nursing Home Murder (The Ngaio Marsh Collection)
  • Blood Sinister (Bill Slider, #8)
  • The Marshal and the Madwoman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #6)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • A Little Local Murder
  • The Blond Baboon
  • Law of Return (Tejada, #2)
  • Season of Darkness (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #1)
Peter (Harmer) Lovesey (born 1936 in Whitton, Middlesex) is a British writer of historical and contemporary crime novels and short stories. His best-known series characters are Sergeant Cribb, a Victorian-era police detective based in London, and Peter Diamond, a modern-day police detective in Bath. Lovesey's novels and stories mainly fall into the category of entertaining puzzlers in the "Golden ...more
More about Peter Lovesey...

Peter Diamond (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • The Summons (Peter Diamond, #3)
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • The Vault (Peter Diamond, #6)
  • Diamond Dust (Peter Diamond, #7)
  • The House Sitter (Peter Diamond, #8)
  • The Secret Hangman (Peter Diamond, #9)
  • Skeleton Hill (Peter Diamond, #10)
  • Stagestruck (Peter Diamond, #11)