Start by marking “Demon Chick” as Want to Read:
Demon Chick

Demon Chick

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  277 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Published September 15th 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Demon Chick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon Chick

Amber
Mar 17, 2011 Amber rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, supernatural
Definitely geared for the younger young adult set. Involves some suspending of disbelief in the beginning and is hard to get into because of that. I'm not too fond of the first-person narration of this one. The premise itself is interesting enough to keep me reading it, for now.

UPDATE AS OF FINISHING: The premise has promise but it would've taken a longer book and a more in-depth story. It's very light and fluffy, and while that can be done well, it didn't work for me. Things were just too unrea
Beth P
Oct 10, 2009 Beth P rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
Jessica Hunsucker has watched her mother's meteoric rise up the political ladder. Now it looks like she's about to become the first female president of the United States. Unfortunately, all this is possible because her mother made a deal with the devil selling him Jessica's soul. Now Jessica and her demon mate Brad must come up with a plan to stop her mother from destroying the world. I couldn't even finish reading this book because I felt like I was waiting for it to get going. I was halfway th ...more
jo mo
"Demon Chick" is an awful title for this book. And also, I don't think the cover does the book justice. Not that the book was that amazing, but it was way better than I thought the book would be. Definitely more serious than expected, too. Although the ending was a little abrupt.
I didn't like Jordan at all and the fact that Jessica jumped in his bed the first opportunity, made me dislike her as well. Shallow. Just shallow.

Ah, well.

Whatever.

There are enough books left to read on this little ea
Jolene Dretzka
Feb 13, 2014 Jolene Dretzka rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Amy Dutcher
I honestly enjoyed this book. Yes, it is a YA book, but it can still be equally enjoyed by Adults. I thought the premise of the book was very unique & enjoyed the journey the author took me on. Still, I give this book only 4 stars instead of 5 because I felt the ending could have been a tiny bit stronger. I also felt like some of the ending was kind of rushed after all the great build up the author created earlier in the book. Despite this, I would still suggest this book to friends as a fun ...more
Rea K
Mar 23, 2015 Rea K rated it did not like it
What?! What?! What?! WHAT DID I JUST READ????? OKAY. LEMME CALM DOWN. Ahem. I don't usually rate books that I don't finish. But this one. For the love of pete. Was terrible.
FIRST OFF. There is nothing wrong with traditional family values, although if Hunsucker (a really stupidass last name) cared one tit about trad family values, she probably would have remarried. Even to remarry some weakass sap who rolled over for everything that she wanted. She would have cared about her daughter. Something.
Michelle
Oct 07, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
My 13-year-old daughter and I found this book in the Young Adult fiction section of our library. The flyleaf sounded interesting, so I let her check it out.
The premise is funny - a woman (Margaret Hunsucker) sells her unborn child (Jessica)to Satan in exchange for political power. (For some reason I had visions of Chelsea Clinton-but that's another issue.) As the story unfolds you see how many things in the Margaret's life were all Satan working behind the scenes to ensure her rise. (Jessica is
Lauren
Aug 23, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Before receiving Demon Chick in the mail, I had never heard of it or it's author before, which was bit of a surprise to me because Marilyn has written a ton of books. Anyway, after reading the back, I was pleasantly surprised at the fresh and new idea of having a girl whose mother had sold her to the devil for political power. Sadly enough, the execution of that said idea was not done very well, though Demon Chick did have it's moments at times.

Jessica was the classical "invisible girl" who fel
Nadia
Jun 04, 2010 Nadia rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl, Jessica Hunsucker. Jessica Hunsucker was never close with her mother and didn't see her too often especially since her mother was running for president Jessica usually always had a nanny and eventually went to boarding school. When Jessica's birthday is coming up her mother is having her picked up by her assistant. Later on that night Jessica gets picked up by a demon. It turned out that Jessica was sold to the devil by her mother in return for Political Power. At firs ...more
Mya1luv
Sep 28, 2011 Mya1luv rated it it was ok
Sometimes I wish Goodreads should incorporate a half in their rating system.

With that being said, Demon Chick disappointed me. I read the summary and thought that the idea of a woman selling her daughter to the devil for political power was very interesting. There were so many things the author could have done to make this story way more interesting. She could have included political commentary, religious jokes, actual demons, and the more traditional hell. But no. It was pretty much like every
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

On her 16th birthday, Jessica Hunsucker's mom pays for her to get a makeover. She and her mom have never had the best relationship, since Mrs. Hunsucker has been busy with her political aspirations.

Jessica soon discovers that her mom's aspirations were more like obsessions, however, when she finds herself literally sold to the Devil.

Hell's really not that bad; just really boring. With the help of her newfound friend/demon mate Brad, Jessica discovers that h
Rachael
Sep 01, 2009 Rachael rated it really liked it
Jessica Hunsucker normally keeps to herself. Moving around a lot, she finds it easier to not make friends, and with her mother’s political position and a long deceased father, she hardly gets any family time either. But her world is about to get a whole lot crazier now that her mother’s on the campaign trail for the presidency. Whatever warm and fuzzy feelings Jessica ever had for her mother go straight out the door when she discovers what her mother has done—Margaret Hunsucker, aspiring preside ...more
Alea
Aug 02, 2009 Alea rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
Demon Chick definitely had a very clever and pretty original premise. A female presidential candidate sold her daughter to the devil for power? Don't come by that every day! And while it was rather clever and took some good jabs at society here and there it was a little bit off for me.

I liked the character of Jessica but found it strange how drastically she would be willing to change her appearance at a moments notice just because someone told her it was ok, that just never made sense to me. (Fr
Princess Bookie
Oct 18, 2009 Princess Bookie rated it really liked it
Thoughts: This one was a fun quick read. Its only a little over 200 pages and they go by really fast.We jump right in and discover why Jessica ends up in hell and how she is promised to Brad. He owns her. We find out all about her mother and the campaign. Can't really say too much or else I'll give away the whole book. It starts off quick and goes by quick. I especially liked the part where they can watch others on tv from the earth. If it was only that easy to find out what someone was doing, h ...more
Dianne Salerni
Jan 07, 2010 Dianne Salerni rated it liked it
That's the best part of the book right there -- When Jessica's mother sells her only daughter to the Devil for a chance to become the first woman president, the hapless girl is passed off to a demon named Brad, who takes her to live in one of the better neighborhoods of hell. There are some really clever moments in this unusual book, and some parts of it made me laugh out loud. Hell is not what Jessica expected it to be, and while not exactly fun, there's no fire and brimstone. Hey, they even ha ...more
Ifahh
Dec 26, 2009 Ifahh rated it liked it
Shan Gogh;
Jun 16, 2013 Shan Gogh; rated it really liked it
Jessica may not have the warmest relationship with her mother, aspiring presidential candidate Margaret Hunsucker, but it still comes as a shock when she discovers that her mother has sold her to the devil. Will she have to spend eternity in hell with one of Satan’s minions, a demon named Brad? Brad takes pains to explain that they live in one of hell’s better neighborhoods, and he seems like a nice enough guy—but still! And things only get worse when Jessica learns the full extent of her mother ...more
Nicole Lygo
Feb 21, 2016 Nicole Lygo rated it it was amazing
Funny, but cute. It was a fun, light read.
Luis
Sep 16, 2010 Luis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now what i really think about this book is impressive. When I picked out this book in the library,I went like this book is boring but since I have to find one so I might ass well just choose this one. Ones I started reading chapter 4 and I saw a long sentence saying''So...my mother sold me to the devil in exchange for political power. But when she was a baby the devil didn't excepted baby's ,so he told Jennifer Hunsucker that he will get her ass soon as she turns 15 and, so he did.
Ian
Sep 16, 2010 Ian rated it really liked it
Michelle
Jun 07, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Ilovereading
Apr 14, 2012 Ilovereading rated it it was amazing
A very satirical and poignant write about the unusual troubles of a teenage girl named Jessica Hunsucker. I really enjoyed the book and gave it a great review on my website. Please visit the following link to see the complete review:

I review adult, young adult, teen, and preteen fiction all on the same website. Please take a look!
Mara
May 21, 2012 Mara rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very clever book, and not your run of the mill teen book with cookie cutter romance (if you want to call this romance honestly) with big bad demons seducing random chicks...who turn out to not be so random because, low and behold, they harbor some sort of mythical power and hold the key to blah blah blah.. No, none of that garbage. This is a great book, and a short but sweet read.
Alicia
Jul 08, 2009 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Definitely not literary, but it was fun - until the end when it just kinda got...bad? I could accept the premise of the book - girl sold to Devil by mother in exhcnage for mother's political power - but nearing the end, she explains this to a regular human, and they're just like "Oh, ok. Of course!" without any "Say what?" and that was just too much for this girl.
Dec 28, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads, mine
the pros: Fast read, a different take on Hell but not entirely new one, interesting premise
cons: cliché and forced love triangle, rushed conclusion

Definitely not a great work of literature, but decent fun read.
Jen
Nov 10, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
What if your mother sold you to the devil so she could be President? This is what Jessica finds out on her 16th birthday. This funny and interesting perspective of Hell (but hey, at least she is in one of the "better" neighborhoods) is an enjoyable read, but fizzles a bit in the end.
Jessica Dillon
Feb 24, 2010 Jessica Dillon rated it it was amazing
Gotta love a character who is halirous and stands up for herself and even has the same name as you!!
HAHA, this was such a great read.
I WANT A SEQUEL!!! :)
Gonna have to read her "gifted" series soon and hope she isnt a one-hit-wonder.
Maryellen
Jul 18, 2012 Maryellen rated it it was amazing
I bought this on the cheap and on impulse and it paid off. Original story and very interesting and likeable characters. It's the world building that really pays off and the ending made me grin. BRAVO!
Ashiya  Stroud
Apr 29, 2016 Ashiya Stroud rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book. It's a quick read. You find that you getting into the story line, and the characters. All I have to say is that I'm glad my mother never took to politics.
Hannah
Sep 25, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: super-cute
I read this book years ago and LOVED it. I forgot its name and only recently found it again. It's a cute quick read with a really interesting and original plot.
Doug Woods
Jan 06, 2010 Doug Woods rated it really liked it
This is a very humorous look at a girl trying to overcome her destiny when she finds out her mother sold her to the devil for political power.
  • Highway to Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #3)
  • The Sweet Life of Stella Madison
  • All About Vee (Fat Girls in LA, #1)
  • A Voice of Her Own: Becoming Emily Dickinson
  • Secrets of Truth and Beauty
  • A Heart For Any Fate: Westward To Oregon, 1845
  • Clubbing
  • Cashing In
  • Kingdom of Twilight (Avatars, #3)
  • Evil?
  • Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus ...
  • Never Slow Dance With a Zombie
  • Vintage Veronica
  • Rising Shadow (The Soterians, #1)
  • So Not The Drama (Del Rio Bay Clique, #1)
  • DupliKate
  • Heretic
  • The Burning (Triskellion, #2)
I was born in New Britain, Connecticut, and grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. I also spent a year (5th grade) in Montgomery, Alabama, and a year in Ann Arbor, Michigan(8th grade). As a child, I always wanted to be a writer, but I had lots of other ambitions too. I wanted to be a teacher, a librarian, a movie star, the president of the United States, and a ballerina.

I didn't achieve all my goals. I nev
More about Marilyn Kaye...