Start by marking “The Shining (The Shining, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shining (The Shining, #1)

The Shining (The Shining #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  660,755 ratings  ·  11,597 reviews
Terrible events occur at an isolated hotel in the off season, when a small boy with psychic powers struggles to hold his own against the forces of evil that are driving his father insane. Reissue.
Published June 24th 2008 by Anchor (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Shining, please sign up.

Michele Definitely... just be prepared to not be able to put it down! Most of Stephen King's books are that way, they suck you in and take over your life, but…moreDefinitely... just be prepared to not be able to put it down! Most of Stephen King's books are that way, they suck you in and take over your life, but this one especially.(less)
Sandi Knapp Yes you can. Is the book about the paranormal or the state of mind of the protagonist? You decide. A great book.

This scene from Friends pretty much sums up my feelings about this book:

"Rachel: Hmm. (she opens the freezer) Umm, why do you have a copy of The Shining in your freezer?

Joey: Oh, I was reading it last night, and I got scared, so.

Rachel: But ah, you’re safe from it if it’s in the freezer?

Joey: Well, safer. Y'know, I mean I never start reading The Shining, without making sure we’ve got plenty of room in the freezer, y'know.

Rachel: How often do you read it?

Joey: Haven’t you ever read the same book
Steve Sckenda
Feb 16, 2015 Steve Sckenda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Coping with Kid Fears
Are you nostalgic for your childhood? How about your kid fears? Do you remember them? Stephen King returned me to my kid fears. Like Danny Torrance, I was a frightened and sensitive child during the early nineteen-seventies. Some of my kid fears came true, as Danny’s did for him.
Are you on fire,
From the years?
What would you give for your
Kid fears?

-- “Kid Fears,” Indigo Girls.
While reading “The Shining,” I revisited my kid fears-- as if walking through a bell-bottomed-shaped portal into the
Jeffrey Keeten
Nandakishore Varma
Quite simply put, The Shining is the best horror story I have ever read. It scared the hell out of me.

Over a period of time, I have noticed certain standard "motifs" in horror stories. One of these I call "The Lost Child". Such stories will typically involve a child, who can see what the silly grownups cannot see (or, even if they do see, don't acknowledge because it goes against reason and logic): and who fights, however high the odds stacked against him/ her are. Danny Torrance is such a boy.

QUESTION: Is Stephen King the BEST PURE STORYTELLER of the 20th Century ?

ANSWER: Who knows...I haven’t got the slightest wisp of the faintest fragment of a lingering shadow of a clue how to answer that manwich-sized question. However, I do think that in order to have a credible debate on the subject, you would need to include the Prince of the Prolific Page Turner in the argument. That says something to me and it got me thinking that there is a lot to like (and even love) about much of King’s wo
Kat Stark

Buddyread with my lovely ladies: Anasylvia & Jenna

This is will be a personal nonreview, so if you aren't interested in those...don't read further along and go find a review that suits your needs. It is relevant to the book, but it's more conversational than anything

With King, I feel like I know all about him. He's a very laidback and funny person. I've been reading his books this year and for each one I've done an unconventional review, so I shall continue to do so in Ode of the great King.
Even though the film version of this one from Stanley Kubrick is generally considered a horror classic, Stephen King has never been shy about making his dislike of it known. He hates it so much that he was heavily involved in making a more faithful adaptation of it as TV mini-series in 1997. (This inferior version invited comparisons of Stephen Weber from Wings to one of Jack Nicholson’s most iconic performances. So that worked well….)

Considering Uncle Stevie’s longstanding grudge about it, I w
Will Byrnes
If you have not read The Shining already do not overlook the opportunity presented by the publication of Doctor Sleep, the sequel, to revisit one of the best ghost stories of our time. The appearance of the follow up offers a perfect justification for stepping through those bat-wing doors for the first time.

1st Edition cover – Published January 28, 1977 – 447 pps

It has been a lifetime since I read The Shining for the first time, over thirty years ago. I enjoyed it then for its effectiveness in t

Yes Danny...

photo 1e1983d7-a7ae-44a0-9566-14fb85e0a3af_zps2b991dd1.png

Do you feel bad?

No Danny, I just really hated your performance in the movie version of THE SHINING.

photo 710720b8-8cfe-467c-b9cf-ef5ea227ea52_zps27155419.jpg

Really Delee?

Yes Danny, I hated it more than anything else in the whooole wiiiiide woooorld.

photo ba4f97a5-3a57-443a-85d5-fff7629df36b_zps805b97d4.jpg

I know this is supposed to be a review of the novel THE SHINING, and not the movie...but I can't review the book on its own. I tried...I really did.

I first read THE SHINING just before the movie came out on video- some time in the 80s- because usually if I watch the movie first, it is very
Aug 06, 2015 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Fans
This inhuman place makes human monsters.

When Jack, an alcoholic 14-months sober, gets offered a job as a caretaker for an old hotel in remote Colorado, he has no choice but to take it. He doesn't have many options - he's been fired from teaching and his play he's been working on is far from finished. He packs up his wife, Wendy, and his psychic five-year-old son, Danny, and waits for the snows to come.

The hotel has a Grudge, unfortunately. And Danny's psychic ability is only feeding the Grudge a
Dan Schwent
Recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance takes a job as caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, bringing his family with him. But can even his son Danny's special gift, The Shining, stop him from going mad and butchering his family like other caretakers before him?

Yes, I'm several decades late to the party in reading this but after reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2, I had to read my first non-Dark Tower Stephen King book in years to see how the old man did horror back in the day. I'm not sure this was such a good id

Hello Readers.

Have you heard the tale of the Seven Wives of Bluebeard?

Once upon a time there was this powerful noble immensely wealthy.Everyone called him Bluebeard because of his large, ugly blue beard.He had married several times but time and again all of his wives died.No one really knew how.

And then one day he married again.A lovely, young girl.Whenever Bluebeard had to go away, he would give her all the keys of his home.He told her she could use any key to go inside which ever room she de
What can I say about The Shining? It is listed among Stephen King's best novels and it was turned into one of the most iconic movies of the last 40 years.

I don't read a lot of horror, but I was interested in this one after learning that the character of Jack was based on King's own struggles with alcoholism. I have an addiction to addiction stories, so I was intrigued.

My husband had also wanted to read The Shining, and he found a nice first edition at a used bookstore. (On the page listing other
Once upon a time, there was a young man who believed that books were always better than movies. Everyone whose opinion he respected told him it was so, and he believed it must be. And for a time he saw nothing to shake this belief. He read Dickens and saw filmed versions and knew it was so. He read Dumas and no version of Musketeers could shake his conviction. Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, and Scarlet Pimpernel all bore this out. But the young man discovered that it wasn't just the cla ...more
I had to wait a week after reading this to write my review. Why? I couldn't fit my computer under my bed with me to type it up.

Fricken terrifying. Terrifying! The entire time I spent reading this I felt sick to my stomach with dread. I was jumpy, paranoid, the whole shamboozle. King really gets into your head with this... He takes you right into the character's subconscious, and as they are slowly driven bonkers, you are driven bonkers right along with them.

Is it sad that even though I knew it
King describes my relationship with this book very well:
"His relationship with his father had been like the unfurling of some flower of beautiful potential, which, when wholly opened, turned out to be blighted inside."

My first Stephen King, and my first proper horror novel will be my last. I certainly didn't expect to be bored, but I was. After 338 pages / two thirds of the book, I decided life's too short to waste on books I don't enjoy.

If you want sinister snow, I suggest The Castle instead.
This inhuman place makes human monsters.

I don't think that I've ever read a book that kept me on the edge of my seat, from start to finish, like this one did. So many times I was scared to turn the page, thinking something like this would happen:

And now that I've publicly admitted to being a wuss, lets get on with the review.

I get why this is King's most popular work, even though I don't think that it's his scariest (I don't think any book will ever scare me as much as Pet Sematary did). But st
I hadn't really realized just how deeply this story is embedded in the collective unconscious until I mentioned to a friend a few years back that my now husband and I were considering getting married at The Stanley Hotel, the Colorado landmark where the movie version of this book was set.

"Are you insane?" she said to me. "You cannot do that. I will spend the entire ceremony waiting for blood to start pouring out the elevators."

We got married down the road instead.
Jason Koivu
I would love to get a gig as the caretaker for a remote hotel over winter, said no one after reading this.

The Shining is about...oh come on...If you don't know what The Shining is about by now it's because you've been living under a rock in the back of a cave for the last few decades, and frankly, you've got more important things to catch up on. Here, let me get you started:

The first third of the book provides a great set up to the horror that awaits, eve
Will M.
I tend to stay away from the horror genre, because I get scared too easily. I don't watch horror movies or TV shows, because I don't want to be scared when I'm alone in my room at night. I wasn't planning on reading this, but I decided to man up and do so. Overall, I'm more satisfied than disappointed. Also more fascinated than terrified.

The Overlook Hotel is full of mysteries, and Danny Torrance knows about that best. A 5 year old boy who received such a harsh "gift" called "The Shining". Jack,
About as perfect a haunted house story as can be, King was at his best here.

It's as though he built a haunted house and then filled every nook and cranny with detail. King is also at his best in regard to characterization, all well rounded and complete, we know family relationships, group dynamics, all the old hidden buried fears.

King touches base with psychological elements, theological, metaphysical, spiritual, and cryptic aspects of a ghost story to wrap the reader in a blanket of horror.

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Oct 15, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read with Rachel
The hotel is getting stronger. It wants to hurt all of us.

3.5 stars. I have to admit to having an interest in The Shining because of the setting being positioned on the outskirts of Rocky Mountain National Park. This is a place near and dear to me, one which I've visited many times.

The world famous Stanley Hotel, where Stephen King drew inspiration to write The Shining, and was later used on film for the lesser-known mini-series (not the movie).

I took that picture on my last visit to Estes P
Sep 20, 2011 Kiki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Valiant King fans
Recommended to Kiki by: A valiant King fan
One of the few good things my father ever bothered to give me was an interest in Stephen King. Trufax.

Look, I'm a YA girl. I read juvenile crap, and then I tear it apart afterwards, and that's good for me. But every so often, wading through a miasma of commercialized garbage gets a little tough on the ol' thinker, and you have to pick up a real book and do some real reading.

This book is a classic for me, more than Things Fall Apart or Wuthering Heights or other such poorly written, overpraised
Jack Torrence thought: officious little prick ~The Shining (1977)
**Note: I chose not to put this review behind a spoiler tag. Below I discuss both the book and the movie assuming if you're reading this, you're familiar with both.

Even though Stephen King's primary reputation has been 'America's boogeyman', I can count on one hand the number of pure horror novels I feel he's published (and they all come early in his career) -- 'Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, It, Misery and of course, The Shining. King
I haven’t read Stephen King in years and The Shining came highly recommended. It’s been quite difficult to convince me to read a book of a movie I’ve already watched and I’ve watched The Shining countless times. However, I am so glad I read this book.

This is one of the best psychological horrors I’ve ever read. It definitely goes into more detail than the movie, so much so that I actually had more sympathy for Jack. I could also understand Wendy’s pain better and I became quite the fan of Danny
Richard Denney

This was me during most of the book:

4 out of 5 stars! one of the best books I've ever read and one of the scariest. I'll talk more about it in my October Wrap Up. If you've been wanting to check it out, I'd say DO IT.
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 27, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Shelves: 1001-core, horror
God knows I tried very hard to like this book. Two reasons why I struggled very hard reading and liking this book:

1) I saw the movie prior to reading the book. I liked the movie. Contrary to King's comment that he did not like it (at first; later he recanted and said he liked it already), I enjoyed the movie compared to the book. But while reading, I just did not feel the same eagerness and fright as I knew who the main characters were, the plot, the conflict, the climax but the ending was fuzz
Shayantani Das
This book was an utter failure for me in respect of a horror novel.

Didn’t scare me, nah, not at all, didn’t even make me wince. And I am just 17 and finished this novel around midnight, in my bed, where I sleep alone, with windows in my room which makes strange creaking noises.

Now, if I mentally remove the horror tag from the novel, then I might give it a 3.5 star.

Reasons: Nice plot, nice insight into an alcoholic’s mind, Jack and Wendy’s back story, the chilling detail of Jack’s father (only
Franco  Santos
Este lugar inhumano crea monstruos humanos.
Para muchos la mejor obra de King. Es un muy buen libro, que ya desde el comienzo te sumerge en un clima estremecedor. Es una novela que transmite una sensación de desolación, que te hace hallarte expuesto y vulnerable sin siquiera darte cuenta de ello.

Me encantó cómo King trató la idea del relato. Es de los más terroríficos del autor. Stephen paulatinamente va pelando cada capa de nuestras defensas, y ya al final, cuando llegó a nuestros corazones,
Top 20 Scariest Books 26 152 Nov 12, 2015 05:53PM
Writing question 1 30 Oct 20, 2015 09:27AM
Hidden Dialogue (No Spoilers) 3 42 Oct 19, 2015 03:41PM
  • The Bachman Books
  • Winter Moon
  • Books of Blood, Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood, #1-3)
  • The Stand: Soul Survivors
  • The Exorcist
  • The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1)
  • The Willows
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • Carrion Comfort
  • The Dark
  • They Thirst
  • Hell House
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Fludd
  • The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
More about Stephen King...

The Shining (2 books)
  • Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)

98 trivia questions
7 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters.” 667 likes
“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in.” 152 likes