The Nonesuch

The Nonesuch

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  4,286 ratings  ·  290 reviews
"Triumphantly good...Georgette Heyer is unbeatable." -- India Knight, Sunday Telegraph

An impetuous flight...
Tiffany Wield's bad behavior is a serious trial to her chaperone. "On the shelf " at twenty-eight, Ancilla Trent strives to be a calming influence on her tempestuous charge, but then Tiffany runs off to London alone and Ancilla is faced with a devastating scandal.

A...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Nonesuch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nonesuch

Tadiana
Three and a half stars. I don't always care for Georgette Heyer's heroes and heroines, but this is a very likeable pair (even if their names make me wince): the witty, intelligent and kind Sir Waldo and the honorable, even-tempered and also intelligent Ancilla Trent, a lady in Reduced Circumstances who is now working as a governess. Ancilla is a capable, sensible person (my kind of heroine!) who knows how to manage a situation even when others around her are losing their heads. With such a ratio...more
Natalie
I just love Georgette Heyer. This is a 5 star book of hers for completely different reasons then "Arabella", "Frederica" or "The Grand Sophie" (all favorite Heyer books), yet it's not quite the same as "These Old Shades" or "Devil's Cub" (My two other favorites). The first three (and several others of hers) always have me laughing out loud when I read. The last two, are romances that make my heart beat just a little faster along with wonderful adventures. The Nonesuch isn't quite the same as any...more
Anne
**Contains spoilers!!**

Things I loved:

1. Sir Waldo - I mean what's not to like?? He's handsome, rich, athletic, virtuous, idolized and a PHILANTHROPIST!! Finally a perfect hero who doesn't cringe at the mere mention of paupers! He wants his newly inherited estate, Broom Hall, to become a school for young orphan boys! Needless to say he won my deepest respect from the first (and managed to keep it!).

2. Ancilla Trent. I LOVED HER!!! She was absolutely amazing! She was so genteel, elegan...more
Jamie
3.5 stars. Very enjoyable, only the ending was a little abrupt. Heyer typically ends with the marriage proposal, and we actually get a few pages past that in this book, but I felt like some of the secondary characters were left hanging.

This one is a relatively serious romance instead of pure comedy. The dialog is sparkling, as always, and the hero and heroine are likeble once you get past their names, the worst I've seen from Heyer yet: Waldo Hawkbridge and Ancilla Trent.
Kelly
Another Heyer I've re-read many times over the years. 'Tis a slightly older couple romance. I like the sensible heroine, and envy her endless patience, though am slightly irritated by how uptight and prudish she is. The character drawing of the annoying Beauty is so spot on, I cringe every time I read her. The hero is, naturally, perfect. Older men approve of him, younger men want to be him, ladies swoon over him. He's a bit over-perfect for me, but his witty put-downs are so hilarious I repeate...more
Valshar ⚜ Jonathan
The Unexceptionable

Sir Waldo. Sportsman, gentleman, and philanthropist!? Wonderful character and really made the story a joy to read.

The heroine! Ancilla Trent was in a word: elegance. Even if she’s in the horrid position of governess or “companion” to a total, complete, and in all ways conceivable: spoiled brat.

Secondary characters! Plenty of fun side characters and even another romance.

Hilarious. Well, it’s a Heyer novel so of COURSE it’s funny!

Happy ending! ;-)

The Passable
Annoying country so...more
Lady Wesley
Jul 13, 2014 Lady Wesley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Heyer fans
After listening to Eve Matheson's narration of this book, The Nonesuch zoomed from a three-star to a five-star for me. Just delightful. Heyer's talent for sharp, witty dialogue is perfectly captured by Ms. Matheson, and I expect she had some fun with the insufferable Tiffany.
Soph
Loved it! With less action and more interaction between characters, it was a lovely story and a great read! I look forward to more of Heyer's stories.
Nikki
Definitely not my favourite Heyer. It seemed to drag, even. Sir Waldo and Miss Trent are too good to be true; Lord Lindeth isn't far behind; Tiffany is just too bad to be true! Perhaps over-familiarity with Heyer is breeding contempt, but mostly I think it's just that I found the conflict so manufactured -- one of my least favourite tropes ever: the mistaken meaning, for example -- and I found the various combinations of characters pretty insipid. Tiffany could've brought more life to it if she...more
Lady Wesley
i read this two years ago and didn't like it. As I never wrote a review, however, I have no idea why I didn't like it. So--I'll give it another try.

Upon rereading, I liked it a lot more. But for maximum "reading" pleasure, listen to the audio version. Simply grand.
Miriam
"She decided her wisest course of action would be to put him out of her mind. After reaching this conclusion she lay thinking about him until she fell asleep."
Amy
The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer was, in a word or two, rather disapointing. It looked like a fun plot, with more of a male main character, but I was wrong on both accounts. Not that the plot wasn't fun, but it lacked what I've come to expect from Heyer. The plot was rather symplistic (dare I say far-fetched?) without the usual hilarious irony I've come to expect. The characters also suffered somewhat, more on them in a moment.
Ancilla Trent, though once from a noble family, now lives as the compa...more
Clare Cannon
May 05, 2013 Clare Cannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens who like romance
This Heyer stands out for making the well-rounded, virtuous characters so wonderfully attractive while the spoilt, self-interested fools couldn't be more tedious.

The unassuming but well born Miss Ancilla Trent is governess to the spoilt and dangerously beautiful heiress Miss Tiffany Wield, and has a difficult time keeping her charge out of mischief.

When the famed sportsman Sir Waldo Hawkridge inherits a dilapidated house in their village, Tiffany sets about adding him (as well as his cousins) to...more
Fiona Marsden
I'm enjoying rediscovering Heyer in audiobook. The dialogue lends itself to this medium and with a good narrator can keep you smiling.

Some people complain that Waldo is almost too good. I like that in a hero. Especially when he can be a manly man at the same time. Cos Waldo is very much a man. He is 'top-of-the-trees' in most forms of sport he undertakes so he will be *cough* well built and physically fit with lots of stamina.

Ancilla is rather adorable, having put aside her hopes and dreams of l...more
Daisy
This was beautiful! So enjoyable, and so Austen-like! :)
Sally
Ahhhh, Georgette Heyer! I've read enough of her books to expect that each one will give me hours of pleasant reading (or listening) and there will always be at least a touch of romance, even in the mysteries. Although I wouldn't place The Nunesuch in my top favorites, I do see it as one with some uniqueness in characters and situations, a demonstration of Heyer's creativity with presenting possibilities, problems and resolutions.

This one is a romance, and one in which the main romantic couple is...more
Katharine
This is another really good, satisfying Heyer. The dialogue is just as witty as Cotillion and the characters as likeable. I love Mrs. Underhill – she's like a squeezable Mrs. Bennet. I wish I knew her. The title character is admirable, not a rake, and there is no reforming involved. The secondary romance is very cute as well, and the north country setting is enjoyable although of course I have no idea how accurate it is.

However, I do have to rate this lower than Cotillion for one reason: the he...more
BJ Rose
Ancilla Trent was born into a respected but not affluent family, and moved in the first circles of society in Hertfordshire, until her father’s unlucky investments and untimely death left the family in financially uncomfortable circumstances. Her best hope was to marry well, but Ancilla would not marry where she did not love – but neither did she wish to be a burden on her brother or her uncle, so she became a schoolmistress and then a governess, thus putting her outside the accepted boundaries...more
Wealhtheow
Sir Waldo is fabulously rich, and when he inherits yet another estate his relatives groan--out of envy, and also because they suspect Waldo will just turn the mansion into an orphanage. Their suspicions are correct. While getting the estate ready for his brats' arrival, Waldo notices Miss Trent, the poised governess to a local beauty. He tries to court Miss Trent (whose wry humor matches his own) while distangling his younger cousin from an infatuation with the spoiled beauty.

Funny and sweet. Th...more
Kerry
So this was just a straight romance novel, I guess. I do still enjoy reading books that take place during this period (the Regency, I guess) -- she used the term "nipsqueeze" not once but twice! (She also said "sennight" about a zillion times, which apparently means one week.)

The antagonist is just a little TOO terrible -- she really had no redeeming qualities -- and the narrator, when voicing her, reached some impressive high notes in her squealing. Which was a little annoying.

Also annoying was...more
Elizabeth
This is kind of like Jane Austen id-fic. It is what Jane Austen would have written if she had kink memes. On the one hand, totally fucking addictive like salt and vinegar potato chips. On the other, I am not as charmed as I expected to be.

I did like the recurrence of the ridiculous B-plot from the first three pages as an important part of the romance, which may have added an entire star to the rating.
Rachel
Ancilla Trent is a governess and a spinster at the ripe old age of 26. Miss Trent has successfully suppressed any youthful romantic dreams she may have had and has instead made the education of her young ward her life's purpose. Never has she felt even the faintest stirring in her heart for any man... until she meets the Nonesuch. The Nonesuch, as he is called, is Sir Waldo Hawkridge, a confirmed bachelor, who is touted for his athletic achievements, wit, handsomeness, and his overall masculine...more
Debbie
"The Nonesuc"h is a historical romance set in regency-era England. While the story was very funny, it was based on an excellent portrayal of human nature instead of outrageous but charming behavior by the heroine. The characters were engaging (except the spoiled heiress, and she wasn't supposed to be), and they acted realistically. I always understood why the characters acted like they did, and I enjoyed the romances.

The story didn't have much suspense since there didn't seem to be much danger...more
Jane Stewart
2 ½ stars. I was angry with the refusal to communicate. But the rest was enjoyable.

STORY BRIEF:
Nonesuch is defined as a model of excellence or perfection. Sir Waldo is called the Nonesuch because of his sporting accomplishments and skill with horses. He is wealthy. He establishes and supports orphanages that care for, educate, and provide children with skills. He recently inherited Broom Hall, a rundown estate near the town of Oversett. Waldo stays there to oversee repairs and improvements. He p...more
Kelli
I think Ancilla + Waldo were the chosen character names because Georgette ran out of other ideas. Maybe because this one was published nearing the end of her career. Regardless, they are crazy names, which Heyer is known for--except this time, I tend to think someone in a book named Ancilla or Waldo, would be the evil characters. And they aren't.

Both characters are actually some of Heyer's nicest. I get the feeling while reading, that Heyer was largely channeling Jane Eyre and a bit of Persuasi...more
Kathryn
The Nonesuch is one of Heyer's older-heroine novels. I generally enjoy those more than the younger-heroine stories (I get a little frustrated with silliness in my main characters, as amusing as it can be). In this one, Ancilla Trent is governess-companion to Tiffany Wield, a fantastically spoilt, lovely heiress. She encounters Sir Waldo Hawkridge, who is known as "the Nonesuch" due to his accomplishments in every field of manly endeavor. Sir Waldo's reputation precedes him, and Miss Trent expect...more
Marie
Georgette Heyer is a well known author for her Regency England novels. She had written over 50 books by the time of her death in 1974. Luckily for the new generation, many of her books are being reissued through Sourcebooks. The novel, "The Nonesuch" is one such historical romance, and it is set somewhere in the mid 1800's. While the text is somewhat dated, it is done so that we truly feel we are reading something written in that time period. It reminds me of reading Margaret Mitchell and Louisa...more
Catherine
I like many things about this one - the heroine, the more amusing moments, most of the portrayal of the hero...until the last scene, which is a tad too nakedly patriarchal for my taste. So mixed feelings on this one.
Miss Clark
One of my less favorite of Heyer's works, for the simple reason that she relies on an entirely ludicrous misunderstanding to postpone the clinch (okay, more ludicrous that the usual romantic comedy misunderstanding!) The main characters were charming, but none of them were striking enough to overcome the weakness of the plot. Possibly the most engaging character is the incredibly spoiled little sociopathic young woman that the reader can root against, but the fact that most of my energy was spen...more
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Reforming Lord Ragsdale
  • Miss Lockharte's Letters (Regency Romance)
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • An Accomplished Woman
  • The Best Intentions (Country House Party, #2)
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • The Weaver Takes a Wife (Weaver, #1)
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • Emily and the Dark Angel
Georgette Heyer was an amazingly prolific writer who created the Regency England genre of romance novels.

Georgette Heyer was an intensely private person. A best-seller all her life without the aid of publicity, she made no appearances, never gave an interview, and only answered fan letters herself if they made an interesting historical point. Heyer wrote very well-researched historical fiction, fu...more
More about Georgette Heyer...
The Grand Sophy Frederica Arabella These Old Shades (Alastair, #1) Devil's Cub (Alastair, #2)

“She decided that her wisest course would be to put him out of her mind. After reaching this conclusion she lay thinking about him until at last she fell asleep.” 52 likes
“You are an atrocious person! Since the day I met you I have become steadily more depraved.” 27 likes