Start by marking “Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and the Battle to Save Baseball” as Want to Read:
Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and the Battle to Save Baseball

Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and the Battle to Save Baseball

2.8 of 5 stars 2.80  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  40 reviews
In 2005, Jose Canseco blew the lid off Major League Baseball's steroid scandal -- and no one believed him. His New York Times bestselling memoir Juiced met a firestorm of criticism and outrage from the media, coaches, clubs, and players, many of whom Canseco had personally introduced to steroids -- with a needle in the ass. Baseball's former golden boy, Rookie of the Year, ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Vindicated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vindicated

Kay
The title of this book gives the whole story== the central theme of this book is to prove to us the readers that he was correct in his first book and the Mitchell Report and other baseball books since printed have proven his claims [along with a couple of lie detector tests]. I did find that Canseco was no longer singing the praises of steroids as curing everything but cancer. He seemed just a little more humble in this book also. I think he was shocked that everyone was so upset with him after ...more
Hope2chat
Aug 03, 2008 Hope2chat rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hope2chat by: family
Informative book. However once again Conseco is very protective of his own behavior. He just makes himself look to good. I wanna believe the guy but he needs to practice some humility.
Chip'sBookBinge
I really didn't have a desire to read this because based on his ego from his first book Juiced and the title of his follow up Vindicated, I knew what was in store. Sure enough, Jose Canseco's ego is out of control. I don't know who has a bigger ego, Gene Simmons or this meathead. I will let Gene slide since he can actually back up his achievements. Jose, not so much. How can you really take this guy serious when he says that "Cal Ripkin has played for a thousand years, but does he have more home ...more
Donald
Jun 20, 2008 Donald rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who read Juiced.
Shelves: baseball
The follow-up to Juiced doesn't offer too much more. Basically, it's a 231-page "I told you so." The writing is repetitive and amateurish, and it seemed like Canseco and his ghost writer tried to pad the material as much as they could to get to the minimum word count required by the publisher.

With this book, Canseco is searching for his validation and vindication, and an ounce of respect from those who attacked him for publishing the first book. Maybe even an apology. It all seems a little needy
Anna
Also from Michelle. Don't remember. Will have to re-read. But, yeah, he's right. These guys are idiots, especially NOW after knowing it is against the rules and they will be tested and trying to get away with it anyway. I understood it from a player's perspective a bit better this season when one of our starters, Bronson Arroyo, was questioned about the topic in general. He referred back to the year he had mononucleosis and was very ill (I think 2010?) (it sucks--I had it at age 26 and it really ...more
Liz
Tommy
( this book counts as 2)
this book is depresing to read for a baseball fan. i mean i didnt want to read it but in a way i had to. i dont know if it is true or false, but finaly someone talked about the steroid use in baseball.

Jose Canseco is the one guy coming out a telling true stuff or fake stuff about the steriod use in baseball. he says the bigest names in baseball and he says peoples name that arent the big. but the thing is Jose like the steroids he thinks its good for baseball and for the
Nicole
Read Juiced about three weeks before I started this book. Both are easy, quick, entertaining reads. Odd as it sounds, you actually go through each book with MORE respect for him. His audacity to be so brutally honest in unreal and quite engaging. Still a scumbag and a dirtball, and he is at times extremely hypocritical, but you have to respect the guy for bringing this "era" to light and really standing up for himself. You see a different side to him after reading his books. He has extreme respe ...more
Robert Finnan
Jose Canseco's followup book to Juiced is basically a rehash of the original book with a couple of more players named to be PED users.
I'll save you the trouble of reading the book and name the players - Magglio Ordenez and Alex (A-Rod) Rodriguez.
Canseco, it seems, doesn't like A-rod because he hit on his wife and Ordenez because he didn't support him when his first book came out.
There's a lot of self-serving blather that leaves Canseco appearing like a narcissist.
On the other hand, you can't bla
Hamera
I thought this book was very good because there is a guy who use to take steriods and now he is amititing that he did use them. That is a big killer in the MLB because no one like players who do that because it is cheating. No one also likes a sore loser because all he wants is records which is stupid. That is one of the things he said in this book. He gives up most of his awards and other milestones to make sure that baseball turn back to normal or where it was before. Everybody is agaisnt him ...more
Mazola1
This is Jose Canseco's look at his post Juiced! life. It's modestly interesting, but I think taking all those steroids fattened Canseco's head as well as pumping up his muscles. Which is to say it's mostly all about Jose. It is quite repetitive, making the (quite accurate) point over and over again that Canseco was right about steroid use in MLB. Nonetheless, the book presents an unvarnished look at the use of steroids in Major League Baseball, as well as MLB's response to having the lid lifted ...more
Ron Kaplan
When his first book --- JUICED: Wild Times, Rampant � Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big --- was published in 2005, Jose Canseco received the same enmity as Jim Bouton a generation before.[return][return]Bouton, a pitcher for the New York Yankees, Seattle Pilots and Houston Astros (with a brief comeback attempt for the Atlanta Braves) in the � 60s and � 70s, wrote BALL FOUR, which ushered in a new era of sports book. Out was the � heroes on a white horse� paean; in was the tell-all, beh ...more
Adam
Jun 02, 2008 Adam is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A much hated dirtbag's tale of redemption. I haven't rooted this much for Canseco since he was "bashing" forearms with real dirtbag Mark McGuire. When he was hugely popular some local radio station had their own version of the Star Spangled Banner with the lyrics paying tribute to the man's awesomeness. Instead of beginning "Ooohh saay can you seeee" it was "Jooseee Can-se-cooooooo" and so on. This was 20 years ago... I can remember this, but now I have trouble remembering which trains I take to ...more
Jonathan
Vindicated is a book addressed by Jose Canseco on the matter of steroids in baseball. I have already read Jose's first book, Juiced. I really like reading Juiced because Jose reveals secrets on other major league players. In addition, I am interested in how steroids can affect the human body. I know that steroids and other illegal drugs are a matter of dicussion in many sports.
In vindicated, Jose reveals secrets on A Rod and talks more in depth about the court hearings and proceedings.
Ernest
I can't stand the way that Jose Canseco "snithces" people out on taking steroids. Is it really his business to talk about other players like that? Steroids definately degrade your obstacles but if team owners are paying you millions of dollars to play and get a couple of hits, hey whats the risk? I would not take any steroids because if my fans found out, I will be in a lot of trouble. My fans would not treat me with respect because they would assume that I were a cheater.
David
I never read "Juiced," his book about the steroid controversy in Major League Baseball, so I thought I would give his second book a chance at least. That was a mistake. He is so egotistical in his writing, it's painful. And he really has nothing new to say in this book.
Peter
Yeah, while I agree that he was vindicated by the truth, and in fact is the only trust-worthy person in this whole steroids debaucle, this was an unnecessary book. It's 95% fluff. It's meat could have been contained in an S.I. article. He outs A-Rod, which ended up coming true about 8 months after the book is published. But that's about it. If you want to know if Canseco is a morning person or not, than this book is for you.
Adara
I really liked Juiced....but this one was basically Jose saying "Ha! I told you so!" throughout the entire book. I enjoyed some of the stuff he wrote about the Mitchell Report but really there was no need for another book. I suppose maybe at the time he wrote it there was a desire to silence the naysayers, but it's rather irrelevant now that everyone knows he was telling the truth about rampant steroid use in his first book.
Carly
I was very interested to hear was Canseco had to say in this book and this information was pretty good. Unfortunately the guy is so self obsessed and has such a hero complex I wanted to throw the book out a window after the first 3 chapters (he's big on repeating himself). This could have been a 30 page book if we'd have been spared the repetitive "I single handedly saved baseball" speech.
Eddie
Good follow up to Juiced. I didn't realize he named A-Rod in this book before he admitted he was guilty of using steroids. So far Jose' is batting a 1.000 in all his named players. I really thought he was exaggerating and not too credible when he released Juiced, but obviously he is very credible and honest. Weird dude, but after reading his books he is very likable and believable.
Brad
Jan 25, 2011 Brad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sports
Jose Canseco is certainly a big fan of Jose Canseco. While some of his ideas regarding the motivations of the entities working against him may have a hint of paranoia at their root, his statements on baseball and the scandalous actions that he first shined a light on in Juiced were also to be absolutely correct. Baseball fans everywhere owe Canseco a good deal of thanks.
Alan
Lame and self serving. Of course if I'd written "Juiced", Canseco's first book, and if I was ostracized and ridiculed for what ultimately was proven to be the absolute gospel, then I'd have a hard time resisting writing my own second I Told You So book. So it might be a lousy book, and Canseco might be an asshole, but I say "Walk tall, Jose".
Kathy
I actually didn't read "Juiced" but this follow-up, "Vindicated," gives a pretty good review of what he covered, the aftermath of the book's publication, and the findings of the Mitchell Report. An entertaining read, for sure, if you are a baseball fan and curious about the darker side of the sport.
Orlando
This book basically boils down to Canseco screaming "I'm not a liar!" His message is repetitive and a little pouty, which doesn't make for compelling reading. The book really deserves one star, but I gave him an extra one for autographing it at my local Costco!
Nicholle
Friends and I frequently talk about how we're drawn to read sleazy celebrity books - here's yet another one, this time with a sports celebrity. Canseco is certainly proud of himself, overshadowing any valid claims he may have made.
Chris
This is Jose Canseco's way of giving the finger to everyone that called him a liar and a scumbag for bringing out the steriod allegations in MLB. The Mitchell report did confirm most of what he told us about in Juiced.
Michael
This is a weak follow-up to his more readable first one.....the font is huge and the text is repetitive -- so it means that you can read the first 10 pages in a couple minutes and put the book back on the shelf.
SevenSorrows
Jose was my childhood hero and when I was a child I didn't think about steroids. It was cool to bring my childhood admiration into adult thinking. I miss my baseball cards. Where did they go?
Justin
See review of Juiced. I liked this book a little better but again: Canseco is very repetitive and has the tendency to go off on tangents that have nothing to do with his original thought.
Nathan
A terrible book. But I HAD to read, since it was written (ok, so it was ghost written...) by Jose Canseco. I can understand Juiced, but I really can't fathom why this book was published.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Rocket That Fell to Earth: Roger Clemens and the Rage for Baseball Immortality
  • Perfect I'm Not: Boomer on Beer, Brawls, Backaches, and Baseball
  • Game Time: A Baseball Companion
  • Baseball: A History of America's Favorite Game
  • Brodeur: Beyond the Crease
  • The House That Ruth Built: A New Stadium, the First Yankees Championship, and the Redemption of 1923
  • My Prison Without Bars
  • Summer of '98
  • The Southpaw (Second Edition)
  • 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • Bunts: Curt Flood, Camden Yards, Pete Rose, and Other Reflections on Baseball
  • The Original Curse: Did the Cubs Throw the 1918 World Series to Babe Ruth's Red Sox and Incite the Black Sox Scandal?
  • Murder At Ebbets Field
  • Cooperstown Confidential: Heroes, Rogues, and the Inside Story of the Baseball Hall of Fame
  • Yankee Miracles: Life with the Boss and the Bronx Bombers
  • Michael Jordan: On the Court with (Matt Christopher Sports Bio Bookshelf)
  • LeBron James: The Rise of a Star
José Canseco y Capas, Jr. is a former outfielder and designated hitter in Major League Baseball, and is the twin brother of former major league player Ozzie Canseco.

In 2005, Canseco admitted to using anabolic steroids in a tell-all book, Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits & How Baseball Got Big. Canseco also claimed that up to 85% of major league players took steroids, a figure dis
More about José Canseco...
Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big Vindicated Juiced : Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big Strength Training For Baseball Air Force Gator 2: Scales of Justice